Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2018, 10:35   #706
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Hampi / Bellary : Route Queries

Just a quick update on the Bangalore-Hampi/Bellary route. I did this route over the last weekend and was staying at Toranagallu.

I did the below route to and fro and wouldn't recommend this route to anyone, inspite the roads being pretty good.

Bangalore-- Nelamangala--Tumkur-- Sira-- Hiriyur--Chellakere --Rampura (turn left) -- Bandravi-- Ubbalagandi and from there on to the Sandur-Kudligi road and finally Toranagallu.

Roads are good all along once you take the left from Rampura. The biggest gripe was the route from Rampura towards Toranagallu. It was so desolate that I spotted only 2 local buses and one car.

No places to eat and god forbid if you run into a problem with your car. Absolutely no way any help can reach you quick. No mobile signal for most of the route and just a handful of small hamlets/villages along this route.

Bellary town itself is a mess with the roads and infra. The ring road is also equally bad. Lots of road laying and digging is in the works. I had to go there to meet someone and regretted the decision instantly. Came back with 2 big nails in my XUV's tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Is the Chitradurga route the best for Clarks Inn, which is in Kamalapura, if yes, then I will plan to feast on Laxmi Tiffin Room Dosa on the way.
KK
You are better off doing the Chitradurga road unless you want to explore the route I mentioned.

Quote:
Edit - How would be the climate at Hampi, I read it's about 31 degrees average with interminent rains.
KK
The weather was simply brilliant and it was around 30 degrees for the last 3 days . Mild drizzles all through and only twice did we experience heavy showers which lasted a mere 15 minutes or so.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 9th July 2018 at 10:36.
rjstyles69 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2018, 09:05   #707
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkaushal View Post
Anantapur-Bellary
By Anantapur-Bellary, you mean the Anantapur-Uravakonda-Bellary route or via Gooty-NH63-Bellary.

How is the Bellary-Toranagallu-Hospet NH63 these days?
Old 12th July 2018, 14:56   #708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
By Anantapur-Bellary, you mean the Anantapur-Uravakonda-Bellary route or via Gooty-NH63-Bellary.

How is the Bellary-Toranagallu-Hospet NH63 these days?
Yes , I was referring to the Anantapur-Uravakoda-Bellary route. The new road is almost completed but for 2/3 patches which are also on the verge of getting completed.

Bellary-Tornagallu road is also getting done and its highly infested with trucks. Still you could manage the distance within a hour and a half.

Hope the above info helps.
mjkaushal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2018, 21:42   #709
BHPian

Did Bangalore - Hampi and back this weekend.

Onward: Bangalore - Chitradurga - Jagaluru - Kotturu - Kudligi - Hospet - Hampi

After Chitradurga, followed google maps and ended up going via Jagaluru and Kotturu and then rejoined the NH at Kudligi. The Jagaluru Kotturu stretch is doable, passes through a few villages and has some rough patches.

Return: Hampi - Toranagallu - Bellary - Uravakonda - Anantapur - Bangalore

The Hospet - Bellary stretch is in pathetic condition and requires a lot of work. Closer to Bellary, the car (Fiat Linea) bottomed out on several monstrous speed bumps. The traffic thins after you cross Bellary and once you take the deviation towards Uravakonda / Anantapur, you are greeted with a freshly laid wide 2 laner, zero traffic and an interesting landscape with few trees. We loved this stretch a lot. Post Anantapur is the usual Hyd - Blr highway.
Old 7th August 2018, 11:45   #710
BHPian

Any feedback on the Anantapur-Bellary stretch's latest quality? I am staying at Heritage Resorts and planning to go via Anantapur than Chitradurga. I can't make up my mind on the Challakere-Rampura route because of the desolate stretch as it would only be me and my spouse.
Old 7th August 2018, 13:39   #711
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
Any feedback on the Anantapur-Bellary stretch's latest quality? I am staying at Heritage Resorts and planning to go via Anantapur than Chitradurga. I can't make up my mind on the Challakere-Rampura route because of the desolate stretch as it would only be me and my spouse.
The post just preceding your post by @loki is the latest on this thread (and just about 2 weeks old), so I think that is still valid status of the road condition on the Anantpur-Bellary route.

The Challakere-Rampura route should not too much of a concern if you're driving in daylight.

The Chitradurga-Hospet route could also be an option for a day time drive if you're starting early say 5am from Bangalore. Last I heard, there are a few diversions but manageable and some of the new 4 laned stretches are also opened.

Last edited by NPV : 7th August 2018 at 13:40.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 16:12   #712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
The Chitradurga-Hospet route could also be an option for a day time drive if you're starting early say 5am from Bangalore. Last I heard, there are a few diversions but manageable and some of the new 4 laned stretches are also opened.
Took this route two days back on Sunday and we still regret taking this route. We left on Saturday night from Bangalore and returned Sunday night, both being night drives I won't suggest Chitradurga - Hospet route for the night drives.

Most of the route is still under repair/construction/expansion and there are numerous diversions, many of which are not marked/poorly marked and quite risky for night drives. One has to be very careful on this route at night and if it rains then extra careful. In few diversions, we were struggling to find out the correct way to divert.

Not only the ongoing repair works, but mostly the existing road also is not in great condition. We took 3.5 hrs each way.

KK

Last edited by KK_HakunaMatata : 7th August 2018 at 16:18.
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 16:50   #713
BHPian

It is amazing that for a destination with 3 clear routes, it is a struggle to find even one route with no major issues. So the roads are messed up for both Chitradurga and Bellary route and with my vRS, I need to be extra watchful for those monstrosities called speed breakers.

Now I am again gravitating towards Rampura route as there would be no night driving on my side. I prefer to be tucked in a city by the time sun goes down.
Old 7th August 2018, 17:01   #714
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
It is amazing that for a destination with 3 clear routes, it is a struggle to find even one route with no major issues. So the roads are messed up for both Chitradurga and Bellary route and with my vRS, I need to be extra watchful for those monstrosities called speed breakers.

Now I am again gravitating towards Rampura route as there would be no night driving on my side. I prefer to be tucked in a city by the time sun goes down.

If you are travelling at day, you can still choose the Chitradurga route, just that you may have to drive bit slow and watch out for diversions.

This route has no monster speed breaker risk to clear your point.

KK
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 18:22   #715
Distinguished - BHPian

Bangalore Hampi is not a fun to drive route. Last 50% bad roads and no decent places to stop for a break. My preference is to take the overnight Hampi train. Not a very helpful piece of info, but sometimes it makes sense to look at alternate transport options instead of alternate routes.
androdev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 19:53   #716
BHPian

Thanks @KK and @androdev. This puts my mind at ease as far as Chitradurga route is concerned. As for alternates to driving, I just like driving better than sitting on a train not to mention the flexibility one gets at the destination. I guess a drive to Hampi is not exactly the same as a Goa drive
Old 7th August 2018, 20:13   #717
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We left on Saturday night from Bangalore and returned Sunday night, both being night drives I won't suggest Chitradurga - Hospet route for the night drives.
True, exactly why I'd mentioned *for a day time drive starting early from Bangalore.

@HellsBells - I think all 3 routes are fine for onward journey if you're starting early from Bangalore say 5am.

For your return journey I'd suggest you start latest by 10am so that you can reach Bangalore by 5pm or thereabouts.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2018, 17:02   #718
BHPian

Quote:
Bangalore Hampi is not a fun to drive route. Last 50% bad roads and no decent places to stop for a break.

have to disagree with the 50% bad roads part. out of the 120 KM between chitradurga and hospet probably 60% road is either worn out or has diversions due to the on-going construction. rest is in decent enough state or the new 4 lane road is ready.

Lack of decent place to stop for a break, i agree with you on that 100%
Old 9th August 2018, 18:00   #719
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant_vas View Post
have to disagree with the 50% bad roads part. out of the 120 KM between chitradurga and hospet probably 60% road is either worn out or has diversions due to the on-going construction. rest is in decent enough state or the new 4 lane road is ready.

Lack of decent place to stop for a break, i agree with you on that 100%
If you consider all popular holiday destination routes from Bangalore, Hampi route is the least comfortable. Irritates you even more if you are aware that there is a superbly convenient train.

Hampi is one of my favourite holiday places and I love holiday drives but I prefer the train to get to Hampi. This message is coming to you straight from the banks of Tungabhadra, I just came here this morning by Hampi Express.

Bangalore to Hampi / Bellary : Route Queries-tungabhadra.jpg
androdev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2018, 20:02   #720
Distinguished - BHPian

Been reading through the last few pages as I have a trip planned later this month. Still pretty confused on the route. We are 2 families, kids are there and for one passenger good roads are important due to a recent injury.

Going to stay at Hospet. With all this, is the Challakere-Rampura route the best one from a road conditions perspective (especially the google suggested one that does not touch Bellary and joins the Bellary-Hospet road somewhere near Hospet)

Most Viewed