Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2018, 19:12   #751
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Hampi / Bellary : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThilakNex View Post
]

Recently I have made a vlog on the route condition for this very particular stretch. Have a look to get a better idea.
Very nice. When we write road conditions as 'not bad', 'patchy' 'narrow', there is always an element of subjectivity. Pictures and video allow the viewer to arrive at their own interpretations. Thanks for sharing.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2018, 20:07   #752
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
With the recent rains, Tungabhadra Reservoir was full and shutters were still open. Made for a good sight both from the dam view point as well as from Anjaneya Hill
Fantastic pictures. The dam in full is a moment to be savored for eternity. Dont know when it would happen next!

And not to mention the view from top!

Spot the difference!

If you are going solo (I mean single car) the folks at Hyatt advice against the Ramapura-Tornagallu road. But its fun no doubt!
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 11:14   #753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you are going solo (I mean single car) the folks at Hyatt advice against the Ramapura-Tornagallu road. But its fun no doubt!
Thanks for the pictures, why do they advice against this route? I am planning to ride my motorcycle solo.
Old 4th September 2018, 11:50   #754
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surajit333 View Post
why do they advice against this route? I am planning to ride my motorcycle solo.
Only because it is deserted for large sections and you don't get a mobile signal (apart from BSNL for most part). So if the vehicle faces a break down, it will be difficult to get help easily.

Solo on a two wheeler should be fine.
Old 4th September 2018, 12:16   #755
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surajit333 View Post
Thanks for the pictures, why do they advice against this route? I am planning to ride my motorcycle solo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Solo on a two wheeler should be fine.
The Hyatt folks told me the villagers tend to block vehicles and demand cash as well. Also there is a small section of forest where there are sloth bears. Hence caution was suggested.

I also enjoyed that section by the way !
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 12:27   #756
BHPian

Quote:
The Hyatt folks told me the villagers tend to block vehicles and demand cash as well. Also there is a small section of forest where there are sloth bears. Hence caution was suggested.

Thanks Ampere! I will indeed heed caution. Villagers stopping for cash happens a lot in interior roads, especially during festivals! I got stopped multiple times in a trip during holi, sometimes people in groups are threatening, especially when some older folks are intoxicated. I always keep some change in the tank bag, spread the joy around. Now sloth bears, no experience.
Old 4th September 2018, 12:31   #757
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Oh yes, I was stopped multiple times, mostly by kids. I thought it was just due to Ganesha Festival being around the corner. Did not know it was a regular occurrence. Couple of places they held a rope across the road and just would not let you pass. Typically were looking for Rs 50, but were satisfied with Rs 20.

Sloth bears! Guess they won't be satisfied with money. . That forest section is definitely a little scary. Roads are the most patchy in that stretch.
Old 17th September 2018, 09:46   #758
BHPian

Thanks to this thread's contributors, we had a smooth trip to Hampi last week.

Took the Hiriyur-Challakere route. Recent black topping on the Hiriyur-Rampura sector makes it a very smooth drive. We did run into some truck traffic once we turned left at Rampura, but nothing too bad.

We stayed at the Hyatt Place in Vijaynagar.

For our trips to the Hampi ruins, we always took the SH131. Pictureque single lane road. There is half kilometer bad stretch through a village, a couple of railway crossings and lots of sheep herds on the road - you have to be careful, but the drive is pleasing. You hit the NH67 just a few kilometers before the right turn to Hampi.

We also did a day trip to Badami & Pattadakal. Took the SH131 from Vijaynagar, then NH67 to HOSPET, NH50 upto Kushtagi, then SH30/NH367 to Badami via Gajaendragad. Good roads throughout and were able to cover the distance in 3.5 hours. We had lunch at the Clark's Inn in Badami.

The only minor untoward experience of the trip was the experience at the ticket counter/Parking at Badami caves - the entry price is 25 per adult, but looks like the employees there claim that they don't have change - they do accept cards. Also the car parking charges as per the notice board is 15 but they claim it is changed to Rs.30, a simple conversation in Kannada seems to do the trick for both these things.

If you are doing Hampi, I would suggest to skip the Hyatt Place, it adds a daily commute to your trip. Look at other options in Hampi or Hospet.

Personally we were wowed with the Badami ruins more than the Hampi ones. But this is just personal!
indusboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 18:40   #759
Senior - BHPian

Planning to visit Badami from 18th to 21st October. Reading these latest posts from September give some uncertainty on road between Rampura to Hospet. I will be with my wife, mom and 8 years old daughter. This section of 45kms seems to be the only bit odd in the whole journey.
Is there a better alternative? Thinking to take Hiriyur-challakere-rampura-hospet-kushtagi-gajendragad-badami with a stay at Clark's inn. No plans for Hampi this time since visited multiple times.
Is reaching to Ballari and then to Hospet a better option? This is a longer route but better than traveling on deserted route with family in a single car. Please let me know since need to confirm my hotel stay.
Old 7th October 2018, 19:49   #760
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Planning to visit Badami
If the plan is to get to Badami, you dont need to go via Hospet. You can take Hubli - Navalund - Nargund - Badami or Hubli - Gadag - Rona - Badami. Do check my thread (Exploring Malaprabha Valley - Badami, Aihole, Pattadakal & more) for more details.

Edit: Do check this post for latest updates https://www.facebook.com/groups/hvku...6075484634565/

Last edited by procrj : 7th October 2018 at 20:04.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 20:58   #761
Senior - BHPian

I drove upto Kalyandurga yesterday, took the Dobbespet-Koratagere-Madhugiri-Pavagada route, except for the stretch between Chandrabhavi to Madakasira and from Pavagada till AP-Karnataka border, the roads are in good condition, bypass for Koratagere and Madhugiri though not fully complete is still manageable. This can be another alternate route to Bellary for people who want to drive with peace of mind.
deehunk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 16:56   #762
Senior - BHPian

Hi Folks to go to Ballari is it safe to stick to Google maps showing the way from Ananthapur as it is the fastest? Till Ananthapur no problem but I am not sure from there to Ballari especially at night.
Old 24th October 2018, 17:23   #763
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Hi Folks to go to Ballari is it safe to stick to Google maps showing the way from Ananthapur as it is the fastest? Till Ananthapur no problem but I am not sure from there to Ballari especially at night.
Depends on your starting location as time you take to getting on to HYD road vs Mumbai road can make a big difference. Challakere road is smooth and has less traffic. Anantapur Bellary road is also good. So I feel it all depends on your starting location. Are you going to Bellary or some place beyond? Going beyond Bellary can be done better via challakere as you can bypass Bellary.
Old 24th October 2018, 23:34   #764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Depends on your starting location as time you take to getting on to HYD road vs Mumbai road can make a big difference. Challakere road is smooth and has less traffic. Anantapur Bellary road is also good. So I feel it all depends on your starting location. Are you going to Bellary or some place beyond? Going beyond Bellary can be done better via challakere as you can bypass Bellary.
I will be starting from Bengaluru at around 4pm, destination is Ballari and not beyond. Google shows a message of restricted movement or private compound between Ananthpur and Ballari, not sure what it means because it's a state highway. That's had me confused.
Old 29th October 2018, 13:26   #765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
I will be starting from Bengaluru at around 4pm, destination is Ballari and not beyond. Google shows a message of restricted movement or private compound between Ananthpur and Ballari, not sure what it means because it's a state highway. That's had me confused.
So completed the round trip from Bengaluru - Ballari - Hampi - Bengluru.

1. Road conditions from Bengaluru to Ballari is Good. Blr to AP border has excellent roads. But the last 30kms from the KA border is broken with unrealistic speed humps, so the going gets tough for low sedans.

Bangalore to Hampi / Bellary : Route Queries-img_20181025_173304.jpg

2. Road conditions from Ballari to Hampi is okayish. Half the distance the roads are in bad state with unscientific speeds bumps. But once you touch the Daroji - Kamlapur MDR the roads are excellent till Hampi.

Bangalore to Hampi / Bellary : Route Queries-img_20181026_071207.jpg

3. From Hampi I took the Chitradurga route and the roads are generally very good except for some 10-15 kms of bad sections but it can be managed without breaking a sweat.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks