Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2021, 12:48   #841
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Hampi / Bellary : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Haha, noted - yes I made that out from Google. But the Narihalla reservoir looks especially nice for an early morning or evening side trip!
OK, great! Yes, that is a good idea. You will get very good views there in early morning or evening. And also great photo opportunities with your 330i. Looking forward to seeing your photos.

However, in that case, you can dump your luggage in your hotel room and try to go with less loaded car to make it relatively easier to cross the speedbreakers. Also, please avoid driving there in the dark (too early in the morning or too late in the evening). The speedbreakers will be much harder to manage in the dark.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 22nd March 2021 at 12:56.
Dr.AD is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 12:59   #842
BHPian

Dear Tribe,
I am planning for a drive to Hampi next week.
Occasion: My wife's birthday!

Few questions -

1. Is it safe and a good idea to go to Hampi now?
2. I am planning to stay in Hyatt Hampi, will it be good and safe?
3. Which route should I take to reach Hyatt Hampi, and which route to come back?
4. What all places can I cover in 2 to 3 hours of sight seeing ?

Please guide!

Thanks and Best Regards
Old 9th August 2021, 14:17   #843
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIL2_HGi10 View Post
Dear Tribe,

Few questions -

3. Which route should I take to reach Hyatt Hampi, and which route to come back?

Please guide!

Thanks and Best Regards
1. Depends really. There are a lot of reports of tourists vehicles being stopped from visiting popular locations one being on yesterday at Chikmagalur itself.

2. We had stayed here in Feb this year. The place is away from all the hustle bustle and maintained well.

3. If you want to reach Hyatt at Torangallu, take Chitradurga Kudilgi Sandur Torangallu to reach the hotel. Else you can directly reach Hampi by via Chitradurga Hospet.

4. You better avail services of the authorized guides for a half day or a full day tour. Hampi in itself is a large area to cover and at times you need at least 2 to 3 days. When we went we used their half day service where we pretty much covered most places closer to the main ruins.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 16:08   #844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIL2_HGi10 View Post
Dear Tribe,

Few questions -

Please guide!

Thanks and Best Regards
1. Yes it is safe to visit Hampi, however do check water level at TungaBhadra Dam, as large quantum of discharge makes some POI inaccessible.

2. If may also like to check "Hampis Boulder Resort", as this a special occasion for visit. Also, this resort is close to Sanapur Lake. P.S. not associated with the resort

3. & 4. : Hampi cannot be completed in 2-3 hours. Ideal will be to have a guide for first day (One can visit all major places, excluding nearby hills in 5-6 hours) and revisit the places of special interest at leisure on 2nd day.

Main POI can be grouped in 3 groups
- Vitthala Temple Group
- Queens Bath - Mahanavami Dibba - Hazara Ram temple - Lotus Mahal
- Virupaksha Temple & Badavilinga Temple

If travelling by own vehicle, the you may start from Vitthala temple and end your tour at Virupaksha Temple

Hampi also has following POI nearby
  • Tungabhadra Dam & Watch tower
  • Daroji Sloth Bear Sanctuary
  • Anjaneya Hill & Pampa Sarovar
  • Sanapur Lake

If you do decide to revisit Hampi of second day, then you can take Hospet-Chitradurga Expressway for return.
Aniket Verma is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 07:23   #845
BHPian

Hi all, I am planning a solo ride from Bangalore to Hampi this weekend.

Has anyone done the Bangalore- Anantapur - Bellary - Hampi route? How is it compared to the standard Tumkuru-Chitradurga-Hampi route?

Which one is advisable? I don't mind riding the extra 40-50 kms (via the Anantapur route) if the roads are really good.
Old 23rd August 2021, 08:36   #846
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marias View Post
Has anyone done the Bangalore- Anantapur - Bellary - Hampi route? How is it compared to the standard Tumkuru-Chitradurga-Hampi route?

Which one is advisable? I don't mind riding the extra 40-50 kms (via the Anantapur route) if the roads are really good.
I just came back from from a drive to Hampi this weekend.

The newly completed "Hampi Expressway" (NH50) from Chitradurga to Hampi is fantastic! It is a smooth four lane highway all the way. Overall, I would definitely say that Bangalore-Chitradurga-Hampi is the best option now and that is both the fastest and the shortest way now. There is no need to think about any alternatives. This road is now a combination of six lane and four lane highways in the entire stretch from Tumkur to Hosapete. In fact, this road is so good that driving on this road is part of my motivations for driving to Hampi now.

The Anantapur route was in use earlier when roads from Chitradurga to Hampi were bad. Now there is no need to consider this alternative. I have driven this route a few years ago and I did not see any advantage of this route over the normal route.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 23rd August 2021 at 08:41.
Dr.AD is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 13:58   #847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
I just came back from from a drive to Hampi this weekend.
Wow Dr, that cleared all my doubts. I am motivated too now . Thanks for the suggestion.

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 23rd August 2021 at 14:11.
Marias is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 21:17   #848
BHPian

I did a Bangalore - Kustagi - Bangalore trip on Friday/Saturday. Wanted to give an update on some road conditions.
1. Bangalore to Tumkur - smooth road but too much traffic consisting of 2, 4, 6, 8, 16 wheeler vehicles trying to move in the same 4 lane road.
2. Tumkur-Sira : Strangely this stretch has so many surface potholes! not sure its due to rain damage or NHAI was trying to repair the road as the vehicles are diverted to service road for few KMs. While you can do decent speeds provided your vehicle shock absorbers are good, but there is no predicting when and where the pot holes will hit on this stretch.

Rest of the roads are super smooth and i was able to reach kustagi in just over 5 hours.

So Bangalore to Kudalgi/ Hospet is very much possible in 4 hours
Old 24th August 2021, 20:00   #849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marias View Post
Hi all, I am planning a solo ride from Bangalore to Hampi this weekend.
1/ How was your ride to Hampi?
2/ How much time did you take from BLR to Hampi?
3/ Were there any restrictions? I read the temples are closed on weeekends.

We are planning to ride this Sunday and visit the POI on Monday and Tuesday.
Old 7th September 2021, 10:39   #850
BHPian

Just back from a weekend trip to Sandur.

As most of the members mention, the roads are quite awesome (Except for Hospet bypass until you join Sandur road). We drove the Bangalore - Chitradurga - Hospet - Sandur route. On the way back it was Sandur - Kudligi - Chitradurga - Bangalore.

If you are planning on visiting the Hampi monuments, make sure to enquire with the Hotel/local contact about these being open on weekends. Last weekend, the monuments in and around Hampi/Hospet were shut, including the TB Dam. Only properties belonging to the forest dept were open - Daroji Bear Sanctuary, Hampi Zoo (including the Tiger and Lion safari) and a couple of parks on the TB Dam back waters.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore to Hampi / Bellary : Route Queries-cars-narihalla.jpeg  

Bangalore to Hampi / Bellary : Route Queries-narihalla-view.jpeg  

kiran_aithal is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th September 2021, 19:07   #851
Senior - BHPian

We have done a quick trip to Hospet / Hampi from 9 - 11 Sep. We took Bangalore - Chitradurga - Hospet for both onward and return. Enjoyed the drive on Chitradurga Hampi Expressway

Bangalore to Hampi / Bellary : Route Queries-hmp-3.jpg
Bangalore to Hampi / Bellary : Route Queries-hmp-4.jpg
Bangalore to Hampi / Bellary : Route Queries-hmp-5.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_aithal View Post
Last weekend, the monuments in and around Hampi/Hospet were shut, including the TB Dam
Tungabhadra Dam is still closed for tourists on all days, not limited to weekends. We have visited Hampi on Friday, 10 Sep and monuments were open.
airbus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 13:06   #852
BHPian

Hello All,

I will be travelling to Hampi next weekend in my Verna. Just wanted to know a couple of things:

1. Do I drive through Hospet or take the bypass?
via Hospet
Name:  Hospet.PNG
Views: 1202
Size:  275.0 KB

via Hospet Bypass
Name:  Hospet Bypass.PNG
Views: 1380
Size:  336.7 KB

2. How are the road conditions between Hospet - Daroji Sanctuary - Hampi?

Name:  Daroji.PNG
Views: 1113
Size:  212.0 KB
Old 13th September 2021, 17:25   #853
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by red.devil_19 View Post
1. Do I drive through Hospet or take the bypass?
I would say take the bypass. I was there just a few weeks ago and I drove both on the bypass and through Hosept city. The city roads can get very congested with heavy traffic and jams especially in peak hours. Bypass was mostly smooth, though longer. I would suggest stick to the bypass as much as possible. However, the bypass is a bit haphazard at places, and be very careful if you are driving there in the night. Or best is to avoid night driving on the bypass. Day driving on the bypass was fine.

Quote:
2. How are the road conditions between Hospet - Daroji Sanctuary - Hampi?
The roads are good. Make sure you go to the Interpretation Center and use that in the Google Maps. Roads to the Interpretation Center are excellent both from Hampi and Hospet. One mistake we did (and learned the hard way) is that at first we navigated to "Daroji Bear Sanctuary", which is a different entrance. Roads to that place are quite bad. That entrance was used for driving through the sanctuary in private vehicles (we were told this would soon be stopped anyways). The new safaris start from the Interpretation Center and that is where you should go. The roads to that are excellent.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 13th September 2021 at 17:27.
Dr.AD is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 11:20   #854
BHPian

We reached Bangalore from Kerala on the 19th. We are thinking of a Hampi-Badami trip this weekend, our first. Kindly help with a few queries.

Are the archeological sites open in Hampi and Badami?

Being natives of Kerala but travelling out of a Bangalore address in a KL vehicle, are there going to be any COVID related hassles we may possibly encounter? We have a KA vehicle too, albeit lesser capable.

Do the hotels require COVID test results for allocating accommodation? We have negative RT-PCR from about a week ago as well as partial/fully vaccinated certificates.

The route is straightforward as I understand, Tumkur-Chitradurga-Hospete, right?

Last edited by darklord : 23rd September 2021 at 11:24.
Old 23rd September 2021, 13:42   #855
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
Are the archeological sites open in Hampi and Badami?
I've been visiting Badami frequently, so I can tell you in Badami at least, no one cared about covid, even immediately after the first and second waves- no one was wearing masks, the cave temples were open. So almost certain that now with the situation much improved, everything will be open and hotels will not care about any certificates or vehicle registration. Though you'll probably be looking to stay at Hampi and just visit Badami as a day trip like the majority of travellers do.

Hampi I haven't visited for some time, but I'm guessing it will be the same.

Last edited by am1m : 23rd September 2021 at 13:44.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed