Team-BHP - Long drive in a new car
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Long drive in a new car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/20021-long-drive-new-car-5.html)

I am going to make a trip from banglore to chennai this weekend in our fairly new FIAT Linea MJD. The FIAT Linea MJD is fairly new and has done only about 1200kms. This is the first time we are taking her on the highway. I have a few queries regarding the driving requirements/conditions and route.

1. What kind of speeds can I do on the highway ? Since the car is still under running in condition, would it be OK to maintain 80-100kms/hr on the highway ? Or any other suggestions on the driving style to be followed ?

2. The car is due for her first service this friday. Is it advisable to do the service and then take her on the trip or shall I do the service after the trip ?

3. If its advisable to do the first service after the trip, then can I get the car serviced in any of the Tata A.S.S centre’s in chennai though the car was bought in banglore and bears a KA registration ? I am asking this because the car would be in chennai for 2 weeks starting this saturday.

4. This is my first time on this particular route (banglore-chennai) by road. The drive would be during the day and for now the plan is to start from banglore at 8AM on saturday. Could anybody tell me which is the better route of the two
a) banglore->Kolar->chittor->chennai
b) banglore->hosur->ambur->Chennai

Thanks in advance for all your inputs.

@MODS: Not sure where to post this query, so pls direct it accordingly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by donarun (Post 1632886)
I am going to make a trip from banglore to chennai this weekend in our fairly new FIAT Linea MJD. The FIAT Linea MJD is fairly new and has done only about 1200kms. This is the first time we are taking her on the highway. I have a few queries regarding the driving requirements/conditions and route.

1. What kind of speeds can I do on the highway ? Since the car is still under running in condition, would it be OK to maintain 80-100kms/hr on the highway ? Or any other suggestions on the driving style to be followed ?

Please refer your user manual. What is mentioned as the run-in period? What are the gear-wise speed/RPM limits? Stick within that. If the run in is not over, vary the road speed between 60 - 80 constantly, without maintaining a steady speed. Take a 10 minute break every 90 minutes or so. If the running in is over, you can do 80 - 100 KMPH, with just one break enroute.

2. The car is due for her first service this friday. Is it advisable to do the service and then take her on the trip or shall I do the service after the trip ?

Again depends on the run in distance. If it is covered, get the service done before the trip. If not, rack up some KM during the trip and then get the service done.

3. If its advisable to do the first service after the trip, then can I get the car serviced in any of the Tata A.S.S centre’s in chennai though the car was bought in banglore and bears a KA registration ? I am asking this because the car would be in chennai for 2 weeks starting this saturday.

No issues. Any new car can be serviced anywhere in India by the respective dealer / A.S.S.

4. This is my first time on this particular route (banglore-chennai) by road. The drive would be during the day and for now the plan is to start from banglore at 8AM on saturday. Could anybody tell me which is the better route of the two

I would also like to see the reply for this one! I will be doing Chennai-B'lore on 24th Dec for the first time.

Please find my replies in bold.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gansan (Post 1633093)
Please find my replies in bold.

Thank you for your suggestions. Driving the car in 60-80 kms speed on the hosur route is going to be tough. Think my trip would take 6-7 hrs easily.

Quote:

Originally Posted by donarun (Post 1634731)
Thank you for your suggestions. Driving the car in 60-80 kms speed on the hosur route is going to be tough. Think my trip would take 6-7 hrs easily.

Ah, so it is clear your run-in period is not over! Let it take 7 hours, so what? Enjoy a leisurely drive. Start early enough and arrive before nightfall. Drive safe.

i always feel that you should start early, plan your travel, stays, departures keeping in mind you could reach late or early, and drive slow (80 - 90 is a good speed for me). this way you and your family can enjoy the drive and theres no chance of any mishap. Plus you car doesnt take a beating and stands by you.

:OT Avoid the AP route for a few days.

On topic, a new car can be driven across the country without any problems. And running in is not babying the car. Strictly my opinion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrag (Post 1635073)
Avoid the AP route for a few days.

really! i saw it on TV but didnt give it much attention. how bad is it hrag?

Quote:

Modern cars are not as demanding as far as running in goes. But you would still do well to treat your car gently for the first 2000 or 3000 km.

a. Idle the car for a couple of minutes after a cold start (and it's winter now). This will get the oil circulating before you start loading the engine.

b. Avoid accelarating and braking harshly.

c. Keep to less than 4000 rpm after 1000 km, but do touch 4000 rpm a few times. Given today's cars' tall gearing 4000 rpm in 4th or 5th will probably mean 120 kmph.

d. Avoid labouring the car in any gear. Downshift rather than try and coax the car in a higher gear by pressing pedal to metal.

e.After a long drive, idle for a minute or two before switching off.

f. Drive safe. Better to take an extra 15 or 30 minutes than to arrive all tense or never at all. You might be the best driver on the road, but there are more than a handful of morons out there. Getting there should be more than half the fun especially in a beauty like the Linea.

Srivathsa

donarun,

Cruising on the highway at a constant speed is perhaps the worst way to run in a new car. Typical city traffic, which involves varying speeds, varying rpms and frequent gear changes, is much better for the run in period. Please go through the Team-BHP guide on how to run in a new car.

Personally, I would advice you not to take the new car on such a long drive during the run in period. Drive it in the city for another 1000 kms or so.

Driving a new car in city traffic is ideal for the run in period. Additionally, (Gor forbid) if the car happens to develop a fault (manufacturing defect/leakage), you would be withing easy reach of your dealership/service centre if you are within the city.

Try to overcome the excitement of taking the new car for a long drive till it is in the run in period. There would be many more trips in the future where you can enjoy the drive.

The first few thousand kms run in is very important for the long term health of the car's engine. If you treat it nicely in this period, it would return the favour by giving you years of trouble free life.

Final decision is yours. If at all you decide to take it for the long trip, it would be better to get it serviced before the trip. Don't maintain a constant speed, keep varying the speeds and rpms. Also, take frequent breaks.

Rohan,
Bangalore

Quote:

Thanks in advance for all your inputs.

Hi,

I had driven down to Bangalore from Chennai some time in April via the Chittoor - Palmaneru - Mulbagal - Kolar route. While the stretch up to Kolar from Chennai was, as I have always found, very good (scenic especially in the Chittoor - Palmaneru section), the stretch from Kolar to Bangalore made life quite miserable as that section has been taken up for road widening. The road has been doubled with a divider, but only one side is operational and so, you have to keep shifting left and right of the divider with two-way traffic in what will eventually become a one-way side! So, its very slow progress, especially, if there is some traffic (overtaking bigger vehicles become very difficult). And if the traffic is very light you have to be careful to keep noting whether you have to now go on the left or the right side of the divider (and that tremendously increases the chances of you or some one else heading on the wrong side of the road - ripe for accidents). Also, because of all this widening activity there are sections where the road is not in such a good condition. I do not know the current state of the widening work, but it did not look to me that it would be completed very soon. So, given this situation I feel that driving via Hosur would be the better option (unless you have some confirmation to the contrary). However, once this work is completed (a couple of years time?), I would always prefer this option to come to Bangalore from Chennai.

Another point, which in your case does not matter too much because you are starting around 8. If you were planning to start say around 6 AM or so, the Kolar route would be a nuisance as you drive nearly eastward and have the sun shining directly in your eyes. It is extremely uncomfortable during the drive till about 9 or so when the suns rays are no longer directly hitting your eyes! For a 6 AM start, I would always recommend the Hosur option, which is considerably southward and less east. Also, at that time of the day, the "troublesome" traffic in the Hosur stretch is very less.

Anyway, congratulations on your new car. And I am sure that no matter which route you chose to take the car will give you the drive satisfaction you seek!

Cheers,
ssbiitm

ps. Finally, if you do take the Kolar route, do not forget to stop at Woody's :thumbs up near Kolar for a snack. All the south Indian items are excellent. Cant vouch for the north Indian ones, because I never could get to try them - remained stuck with the yummy dosas and idlis!!!

@all, thanks for all your route and driving suggestions.

I did my trip from banglore to chennai last saturday. As planned we started at about 7.45am & reached chennai at 12.50pm, yes in 5 hours. Reason, uncle of mine gatecrashes and volunteers to drive. Couldn't say anything reluctantly gave the wheel to him and asked him to maintain 70-80kms/hr. He does that till hosur after that he started doing 120-130 on the speedo. Kept saying that the car is still under break-in period but he paid no attention to it. The only stop we had was to fill in diesel at vellore. For the whole trip AC was on and the Linea returned a mileage 18.4km/ltr. I guess its a decent mileage given the speeds we have done. I dont know how much of damage has this trip done to my car.

@all, thanks again.

My Bangy trip has been postponed. My mother stated 24th was an especially bad day to start the trip,doubly so because it was (Ashtami + Karinal) as per our almanac and 25th was Navami. My wife also started grumbling, so decided to postpone the trip Lol!. Three continuous holidays wasted due to superstition, and I did not want to force the issue. It was grudgingly granted that we can start after lunch on 25th (after Navami ends), but then it will be night before I reach Bangalore, and I don't want that. Two more long week-ends coming up in Jan, may be I can plan for one of them!

@donarun
What was the odo reading when you started the trip? What is the run in period mentioned in your manual, and does it mention any top speed restriction during this time? If it does not mention any, or if you were well within that limit (or even slightly exceeded that), don't fret, nothing would have happened. Some margin of safety will be built in when they mention a speed/RPM limit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gansan (Post 1643667)
@donarun
What was the odo reading when you started the trip? What is the run in period mentioned in your manual, and does it mention any top speed restriction during this time? If it does not mention any, or if you were well within that limit (or even slightly exceeded that), don't fret, nothing would have happened. Some margin of safety will be built in when they mention a speed/RPM limit.

Sorry for the late reply. I started the trip with 1450 on the odo, as such there is no running in period mentioned in the manual. IMO any manufacturer would advice against doing speeds of 120+ on a new car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by donarun (Post 1651698)
Sorry for the late reply. I started the trip with 1450 on the odo, as such there is no running in period mentioned in the manual. IMO any manufacturer would advice against doing speeds of 120+ on a new car.

Don't worry, the engine would have run in by 1000+ KM. If the mfr does not mention any speed limit, there is not any. I suppose the top speed for Linea will be in excess of 150 KM, so 120 is well within that.

For instance my Alto's manual mentions 1000 KM as the run in period, and restricts the top speed to 100 KMPH during this period. I followed this religiously and at the 1000 KM service asked the SA whether I can do 100+ speeds henceforth. He said I can do even 120 if I wanted. It is a different matter that I don't feel comfortable beyond 90 and stick within that. What I mean is it can't do any harm. Remember, manufacturers always err on the side of caution and if your manual is silent, then it only means the car is good to go at any speed the moment it leaves the show room!

It seems like an old, but vey informative thread. Always a pleasure to run through & learn from others' experience. Thanks so much!

I have a possible situation at hand & am seeking advice:

BTW, I am a light footed driver, who always follow traffic rules & speed limits & will be driving alone.

Thanks in advance for your time & support. 🙏