Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2006, 14:55   #1
BHPian

Long drive in a new car

Im getting the delivery of my swift tomorrow. I would like to go to chennai from Bangalore in my new car. Will there any problems/issues also any driving limitations i should take care of,while taking a brand new car on the highway.

Please advice me on this.
Old 29th December 2006, 15:25   #2
Suryam

Please see this thread in this forum: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ong-drive.html

Follow manfucturers limit for speed limits for initial warm-up (run-in) period.

Old 29th December 2006, 15:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

Read the manual and act exactly what is mentioned there....i think it should be mentioned of not taking to speed to certain level or certain rpm...do accordingly...

Take some care now, atleast the initial 2000km remaining kms are yours....do what you like!!
Abhi
Old 29th December 2006, 15:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

I would recommend running in the car first & getting the first service over with before taking her out on a long drive. Congratulations on your new car too!!

Last edited by iraghava : 29th December 2006 at 15:58.
Old 29th December 2006, 16:00   #5
BANNED

Don't agree with you @Irag.
Got delivery of my Skoda at 12 pm.. left for a 1200 km trip at 1230... there's absolutely NO ISSUES about taking a new car on a trip the moment you get it.. might I add that there's nothing more fun either.
BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
You need to take it easy.. you cant drive like a loonie from the get go.
Cheers and enjoy your new car.
Old 29th December 2006, 16:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L8uLoose View Post

Exactly, I prefer to run-in the car properly before going on a long trip & going berserk. I didn't mean that it could have issues that needed to be sorted out.
Old 29th December 2006, 16:51   #7
rks
BANNED

There are many theories about running in a new car as can be seen from a Google search. I think it is best to follow the manufacturer's recommendations closely. Personally, I tend to agree with iraghava. I would prefer to run in the car in the city till first free service/oil change. I vaguely remember something to the effect that the car has to be run in at a variable speed/rpm and not revved too hard for the first 1000 kms or so. The city offers that naturally (although you probably cannot get enough running in at 5th gear in a city like Pune).
Old 29th December 2006, 16:54   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Travelling at the same speed, consistently, may not be the best thing for a brand new engine. Its ideal to keep varying the engine rpms.

Thats why I wouldnt recommend taking her straight out on the highway.

Also, check out the Team-BHP Guide on running in your car!

Last edited by GTO : 29th December 2006 at 17:05.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2006, 17:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the new car. dont worry too much. chennai-blr is hardly 4hrs away, please go ahead & enjoy your drive. cheers
Old 29th December 2006, 17:47   #10
BANNED

Congratulations on your new car!

There is enough traffic on our highways, especially the Chennai - Bangalore NH4 to vary your car and engine speeds. Please take the Chittoor route - this will be a very good run-in for your new car.

Just one question - will this be your first highway drive?

Try and upshift at the maximum speed for each gear as specified in the manual for the running-in period and also try to keep varying the speeds on the plains.
Old 29th December 2006, 18:27   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L8uLoose View Post
Don't agree with you @Irag.
Got delivery of my Skoda at 12 pm.. left for a 1200 km trip at 1230... there's absolutely NO ISSUES about taking a new car on a trip the moment you get it.. might I add that there's nothing more fun either.
BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
Cheers and enjoy your new car.

Also, dont stick to a constant speed... Vary the speed, and change through the gears, when possible...
Old 29th December 2006, 19:49   #12
BHPian

Thanks for all the advice.

I will be mostly taking the chitoor road, thats my fav road. I drive down that road almost every month and the best time i have clocked is 3 hrs and 15 mins from KR puram in Bangalore till kathiparai in chennai(Iam fast driver no a rash one).

was a bit worried becuase this is the first time driving a brand new car on the highway and knowing my style , i have to hold a lot and control my driving.
Old 29th December 2006, 20:41   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Exactly, I prefer to run-in the car properly before going on a long trip & going berserk. I didn't mean that it could have issues that needed to be sorted out.
Exercising some sort of control in a car.. be it new or old IS a good thing to do.. and taking a new car on a long journey almost immediately is a good way of learning to do so... if you screw up.. its going to come and bite you in the posterior for the remainder of the time you have the vehicle.
Cheers.
2L8uLoose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2006, 22:54   #14
BHPian

Just remember... each and every component of your vehicle is brand new. Hence requires to be handled the right way. Keep the RPM and Speed within control. Do not try to break your speed record of 3 hrs 15 minutes. Work your engine through all the gears and keep everything in moderation.
Old 31st October 2007, 16:08   #15
BHPian

Long drive with a new car

Hi,

I am getting my new car (UVA) in a day.

Is it advisable to go for a long trip (around 600-700 km total) in a new car. Or would it be better after the first service (1000km)

Mod: I don't know whether its the right forum to post this question. If not pls move to suitable place,

Thanks & Best Regards,
Arun

Note from Moderator : Font formatting is not permitted on the forum.
Note from Moderator : Threads merged.

Last edited by adya33 : 31st October 2007 at 22:55.

Most Viewed