Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2018, 10:49   #1
BHPian

Beware of Monkey attacks at Monkey Point, Lonavala

Dear members,

I am posting this to create an awareness in the forum. The Monkey Point at Lonavala/Khandala is a favorite for people visiting the place.

However, yesterday when my family had been there, the monkeys just went berserk and bit my daughter on her forearm. She had to get 2 staples to close the wound and is undergoing the usual rabies vaccine course now.

However, the way the monkeys attacked, they would have bitten, scratched and harmed anyone small in stature. They were wary of the adults but kids are their favorite target seems like.

When I was taking my daughter out of the park, a local vendor boy also told me (post-fact though) that the monkeys have become dangerous. Even the doctor who attended to her said he sees 3-4 such cases on daily basis all from the same park

Hence, all families planning any visit to Lonavala/Khandala, I would suggest if you have kids, then give the Monkey Point a miss

Just sharing so that co-members do not suffer the same fate.

Note to Mods: Please do merge into any existing thread as may be appropriate

Thanks

Last edited by anand.shankar82 : 21st September 2018 at 10:53.
anand.shankar82 is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 21st September 2018, 12:05   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Beware of Monkey attacks at Monkey Point, Lonavala

Sorry to hear about this, hope your daughter is not too badly affected by the experience.

These Rhesus and Bonnet Macaques can be very scary, especially the alpha-males in the group. The origin of the problem is tourists and locals feeding them. Since this spot is known as 'monkey point', I can imagine that feeding the monkeys is probably a big attraction there. Add to the fact that most of us, when we travel, cannot stay even 5 minutes without some food or the other , monkeys very quickly learn where food is present. Being highly intelligent creatures, they also very quickly learn how to get food out of people and know whom and when to attack.

Last edited by am1m : 21st September 2018 at 12:07.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2018, 12:27   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Beware of Monkey attacks at Monkey Point, Lonavala

Have been there many times and 100% agree with your post.

Tip: Don't EVER walk in there with food in your hands or even in a bag. They will just jump at you. One time, we coolly bought some corn outside the gate and walked in. These monkeys came to us like monsters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar82 View Post
However, yesterday when my family had been there, the monkeys just went berserk and bit my daughter on her forearm. She had to get 2 staples to close the wound and is undergoing the usual rabies vaccine course now.
Sorry to hear about that. Hope the little girl recovers soon. Please wish her a 'get well soon' from Team-BHP.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st September 2018, 13:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

A lot of the fault lies with the monkies disguised as humans. Even with express warning signs to not feed the monkies or to not carry food or water openly, people won't pay heed to it.

Seen it everywhere from zoos to forts and parks. Even en route to Matheran.
honeybee is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st September 2018, 13:53   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Ah Monkeys - Best example for appearance that is often deceptive. Yet we have more than half of the tourist junta bribe these fellas with whatever kind of eatable they have and the army of them becomes complacent with the fact that their meal is fixed as they wait for number of tourists to arrive in their cars, fetch their hands out holding a fruit or a cake while they jump and whisk it away.

While this is happening and all the occupants are busy taking pictures on their phones, a set of them, without your noticing nearly make an entry into your car from the other 3 windows to grab whatever they feel is worth for them (or not).

Of all my visits to Lonavala in the past few years, I have always ensured to stay away from these real quick mammals and one of the reason is that in Bangalore, I lived in an independent house for 11 years where I witnessed the real definition of Monkey menace, thanks to the proximity to a huge campus of Agri research center which was a dwelling site for them.

They bent and broke antenna of my car thrice, hung on the indicator assembly of my bike and broke that too and not to mention a couple got into a fight on the terrace one day leaving one of them dead with blood all over that we had to call BBMP (Municipal corporation) instead of KFD (Forest Dept) to clean that mess and obviously pay for it.

Reading your incident where your little one was attacked, I recollect how careful we as parents and grandparents of my daughter were while she grew up. I would say, we had never let her play outdoors with her friends without one of us brandishing a cane or a bowl of water (That helps to shoo them away) to deal with them.

I hope your daughter recovers fast and wish her a speedy recovery and thank you for this thread.

We may always say there are various animals which are equally unpredictable but its Monkeys that are common across various cities and tourist spots these days that amuses many with curiosity that they think they are after all our great great ancestors and they will do what humans do.

Last edited by paragsachania : 21st September 2018 at 13:55.
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st September 2018, 14:12   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Please wish her a 'get well soon' from Team-BHP.
Thanks a lot for the wishes and the various inputs

Also, just as information, we did not have any food or even a bag with us when we went there so not sure what drove them so crazy

Guess a tough lesson learnt to steer fairly clear of monkeys in future
anand.shankar82 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2018, 15:14   #7
BHPian

Well, this is true for not just Lonavala but all majot hill stations. Infact i would say not only monkeys but any stray animal at any location. These days we have lot of videos being shared on whatsapp about cows and dogs attacking people without any fault of them.

I remember similar incidents happening at shimla. Monkeys can snatch ladies handbags thinking it has something to eat.

Hope your daughter is better.
Old 21st September 2018, 15:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing.

am1m quite rightly points out subtle aspects of why such things are happening. Not only people incite the animals but also litter the jungle area badly, it does become quite a sight, even if we consider such food items like corn remains as bio-degradable waste. Some discipline is warranted in such places atleast.

I missed sharing the situation when it happened with us in Malshej Ghat rock pillar area next to tunnel.

Similar thing happened as we were just adoring the view around the spot and watching this monkey mom with her kids, mind the corn in the hand just being given by one of the visitors.

Beware of Monkey attacks at Monkey Point, Lonavala-wp_20180729_12_21_32_pro.jpg

We had observed a rogue alpha-male on that platue as we entered the pillar area and he was scoffing at the people pretty boldly. While we were just adoring the scene around, this guys charges from behind and takes a bite at my son's calf muscle area. Another thing to note, son was wearing 3/4 cargo pant, thus exposing the calf and maybe this guy thought it to corn to bite from.

Fortunately, the teeth did not dig a lot in the flesh as my son retracted suddently at the feeling of contact and maybe the monkey also got shocked releasing his bite.

The bite looked like this as it swole. It hurt him pretty badly sending spikes to his head, seemingly unbearable for him at that time and I had to literally carry him to the car unable to walk by self.

Beware of Monkey attacks at Monkey Point, Lonavala-img_20180729_133744_hdr.jpg

However, without panicking we did the next best thing to counter it:
1. Washed the wound with soap and drinking water from our bottles thoroughly 3 times atleast.
2. Applied soframycin cream, kept in the medical kit of car.
3. Gave him crocin to counter body pain, feverishness, if anything.

There is no nearby hospital here. The closest is some 20-25 kms in village further beyond the main Malshej platue, as per information from the police stationed at the point. We had done preliminary first aid which would hold for sometime.

There was no network signal there or at the platue to call upon anybody to enquire further steps. We drove to platue to MTDC Malshej Flamingo Resort. There they also reiterated the thing and also informed there is a significant PHC at Tokawade village enroute to Bombay.

As it is, there was preliminary first aid was done and we were famished too. Son was much comfortable by this time and feeling better, able to walk with pain subsidizing. So we had hearty lunch at Flamingo Restaurant.

The situation was much better with son in these couple of hours and he was able to amble along nicely and also played at the slides and swings at the resort and roamed around on the platue as well.

We finally caught some signal at the resort in some corner while roaming around and were able to talk to our paedatrician back in Bombay.
She advocated that
1. while it is not must to take vaccine always
2. but since we dont know the situation with monkey, it is better to take the vaccine
3. first dose of ARB (Anti-Rabies Vaccine) should be given as early as possible in first 24 hours, if possible in immediate couple of hours.

We came to know about the PHC at Tokawade which was on return way to Bombay only.

So we drove back.

However, the lust for the waterfalls, their natural small lakes and drenching in them did alure us and that was a major point of attraction this time to do. Guessing we still had time and all the preliminary first aid and medication done and son feeling well and all rejuvenated, we stopped by a nice water body and children had a wonderful time literally swimming in it for about an hour, even if shallow like baby pool. The entry to all waterfalls were closed by police standing and barracading them with permanent steel railings.

It seems that the water had another rejuvenating effect and probably acted as a natural cleanser to the wound. Son was as good as normal afterwards although with some minute pain the bite area.

We touched base at PHC (Primary Health Center) Tokawade soon about 5 PM. However, it is not a PHC but a pretty big RH (Rural Hospital).

Unfortunately, on way while returning downward on slopes, we late-witnessed a horrific accident where 2 bikers collided with eachother and were held up in the jam due to the same. Some good samaratin bikers helped those victims be carried aside and they were transported by a local corporator car nearby in the jam only.

These people really had a serious, horrific accident due to mistaken undestanding, judgement of terrain, speed and the wetness of road, to the near total fatality and they were actually brought back to the same RH Tokawade just before we reached there. It was really sad sight to see the victims.
I just hope people take such terrains with due respect to the terrains first and all safety precautions while riding or driving alike.

The doctor had to be called upon for the accident on emergency and the victims situation kept her pre-occupied there for abour half an hour, it was just a wait and watch situation for the victims, it was literally a blody situation. Sensing the situation, the doctor had to send them to Kalyan hospital by the ambulances and cars of locals available. I sincerely wish the victims did make out it.

While we waited, the situation was fine with son. On inspection, the doctor advised the 5 doses of ARB and their precise dates to be taken with 1 to be taken immediately then. It is like 0th Day, 3rd Days, 1st week, 2th week, 4th week. But no medication on the wound then onwards and to just let it dry out. They had definitely seen worse bites.

By the end of month all the doses were finished and no symptoms of anything at all in between too.
The wound dried off with little scars however and no effects of bite whatsoever.

However, the situation is not same with locals.

While we were at the water, kids swimming, there were quite a few corn vendors around. Got talking to them on this as they saw the bite and got enquiring with us. Told them the story and it turned out quite normal for them. Seems quite a few boys get bites and quite a few do not even bother to vaccinate and turn out all fine. It may have got to do with their raising in their rural environment, naturally strong body verse to getting any infections. It may also be that the monkeys are not infectious even if they bite, living in their green enviroments. It is these locals who confirmed the existence of the PHC at Tokawade. The people at MTDC were not so sure but were mostly pointing to Kalyan hospital.

However, it was some trip to learn from:
1. Possibly wear longer trousers, long sleeves while visiting such places to avoid attracting such animals.
2. Keep ready with first aid medication in your vehicle always, I do and maintain the same.
3. Avoid inciting or feeding animals in anyway, just enjoy nature. However, ther could be some rogue animals and it is better to be in group and not get panicky but be bold to shoo them off, atleast the monkeys I mean. I guess my son was left behind a little alone and the male rogue saw its chance.
4. Keep tab of nearby hospitals in case needed, or atleast get immediate informtaion from localites available.
5. The treatment at PHC/RH or any municipal hospital is free including medication. The cost of 1 ARV is about Rs 300-350/- otherwise. But, let it be useful to the needy ones.
6. First of all, don't panic in any situation and don't create panic around too.

Last edited by parsh : 21st September 2018 at 15:17.
parsh is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st September 2018, 15:56   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Son was much comfortable by this time and feeling better, able to walk with pain subsidizing. So we had hearty lunch at Flamingo Restaurant.
Quote:
also played at the slides and swings at the resort and roamed around on the platue as well.
Quote:
Guessing we still had time and all the preliminary first aid and medication done and son feeling well and all rejuvenated, we stopped by a nice water body and children had a wonderful time literally swimming in it for about an hour, even if shallow like baby pool.
While I am glad that your son is absolutely fine, I must say that as a father, your behaviour was absolutely irresponsible. Were you totally unaware of what rabies is? Were you unaware that monkey bites carry a real risk of rabies? Were you unaware that rabies can be fatal, especially in children? Were you so ignorant that you didn't know the vaccines are to be given as soon as possible for best results?
Quote:
first dose of ARB (Anti-Rabies Vaccine) should be given as early as possible in first 24 hours, if possible in immediate couple of hours.
Inspite of this clearly serious advice from a pediatrician, you still chose to take a detour and enjoy the waterfall?
You should not be very proud of what you have done, sir. I have lost a loved one to rabies, a few years ago. She couldn't be saved even though she was rushed to the Pasteur Institute (they make the rabies vaccine) in Coonoor within 3 hours of the rabid dog biting her. We lost her in 4 days.

I humbly request each person reading this post not to repeat the same mistake. Please rush the victim to a hospital and give them the necessary vaccines as soon as possible. No point in taking a chance.
SCORPION is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 21st September 2018, 16:06   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
While ... No point in taking a chance.
Dear Scorpion, your worry is absolutely fine, however, at the same time, unnecessarily panicky.

Yes, we know many things about rabies and have had cases of dog bites too in family and near ones, definitely know how much can it be, both good and bad/worse having known a worst case too, if you can imagine. So we did have pre-knowledge about how can it go either ways.

However, it also depends upon various points as per situation, handling and immunity. The first and foremost thing about any such bite is to be cleansed off in best possible manner with whatever best cleanser possible and clean water.

One thing I forgot to mention is immediately upon bite, the first thing I could do was take out my handkerchief and tie above the wound area, since nothing was in hand and nearby, car being parked a bit away. Later rushed to car as fast as possible and squeezed wound and cleansed it off well. While the people around were going more panicky, we asked them to cool down and behave normally and not to incite monkeys in anyway.

The reason for elaborate account was to tell and make aware any and all, that while rabies is fearsome, there is definitive way to tackle it if attacked in proper process and in time.

Last edited by parsh : 21st September 2018 at 16:19.
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2018, 16:24   #11
Team-BHP Support

Just a note, although we're digressing.

A relative had a nasty dog bite in Pune a few months back and he was advised to get the first injection immediately. He searched for the injection at every medical shop and hospital in a few neighborhoods around his residence (for almost four hours). Eventually, he was told that Jehangir Hospital was his best bet. Had to wait a further couple of hours before he was given the shot.

The same experience in the subsequent injections. Not sure if the situation is better in other cities but it is worth tending to such situations immediately.

Plus, doesn't getting into a waterfall bring the risk of additional infections (through contact with water)?
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2018, 16:26   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for sharing.
..., this guys charges from behind and takes a bite at my son's calf muscle area. ...
...So we had hearty lunch at Flamingo Restaurant.

The situation was much better with son in these couple of hours and he was able to amble along nicely and also played at the slides and swings at the resort and roamed around on the platue as well.
Guessing we still had time and all the preliminary first aid and medication done and son feeling well and all rejuvenated, we stopped by a nice water body and children had a wonderful time literally swimming in it for about an hour, even if shallow like baby pool.
...We touched base at PHC (Primary Health Center) Tokawade soon about 5 PM.
...6. First of all, don't panic in any situation and don't create panic around too.
Traveling merrily after getting bit by a wild animal is really very surprising. The reason why not all monkeys are blood mongers, but rather a handful one, is because rabies makes animals very aggressive. So if an animal bits you unprovoked, then there is a high probability that it might be infected with rabies, which is mortal if not treated in time. I kept on reading the above post in hope that at least now the anti rabies injection would be given, but it went on describing the day and the food and the activities. Really surprising. Getting bit by a wild animal is indeed a good time to freak out, do panic and run very fast to nearest doctor.

Tying of cloth towards heart works in case of snake bite so that poison is contained in the bit area and doesn't reach the heart. I haven't heard it being used for animal bites.

Thanks for the heads up OP, about the Lonavala point. Monkeys appear cute but are really vicious. Due to idiots roaming everywhere, monkeys have become fearless of humans. I saw this many times in many places, idiots keep on giving food and water by hand. In Mahabaleshwar I even saw one person literally putting a water bottle to various monkey's mouths and giving them water to drink, taking his selfies while doing this grand gesture!!

A public safety announcement: if at all any of your loved one is bit by any wild animal, don't go on continuing your itinerary just because there is no visible scar or pain. If rabies spreads in the body, it can only result in death, and that too a horrible one.

Last edited by ani_meher : 21st September 2018 at 16:29.
ani_meher is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2018, 16:32   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Just a note, although we're digressing.
I believe, maybe we can and should. In the sense that we should try to atleast bring out aspects people may not know including curatives on such situations, do's and don'ts as well.

Quote:
A relative had a nasty dog bite in Pune a few months back and he was advised to get the first injection immediately. He searched for the injection at every medical shop and hospital in a few neighborhoods around his residence (for almost four hours). Eventually, he was told that Jehangir Hospital was his best bet. Had to wait a further couple of hours before he was given the shot.

The same experience in the subsequent injections. Not sure if the situation is better in other cities but it is worth tending to such situations immediately.
I am surprised. Here in Bombay, it is literally available at nearly all medical shops off the counter without prescription as well.

Our paed advised us to buy the stock and if possible give at home only as the doses were coming on Sunday.

In case of doubt, it is absolutely good practice to tend to the medication as fast as possible in such bites without knowing anything else.

Quote:
Plus, doesn't getting into a waterfall bring the risk of additional infections (through contact with water)?
Yes and no, I am not 100% sure. Natural flowing unadulterated water is likely to be less infectious as per my readings, however, could be wrong. I believe it acted as an additonal natural cleanser.
Old 21st September 2018, 16:37   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Scorpion, your worry is absolutely fine, however, at the same time, unnecessarily panicky.
I absolutely do not agree and there are many things in your quoted post that I would love to discuss further. But it would only lead to needless arguments.

I have made my point and since neither of us are doctors (from your profile) nor obviously experts in this field, I shall wait for the doctors or experts to make their comments.

Sometimes, its best to accept ones mistake and move on, rather than making more irresponsible statements.

Last edited by SCORPION : 21st September 2018 at 16:44. Reason: Added last para after reading the comments which were posted while I was typing this post.
Old 21st September 2018, 17:04   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Getting bit by a wild animal is indeed a good time to freak out, do panic and run very fast to nearest doctor.
I would rather say, try give first aid cleansing to the patient even if the doctor is near or away, if possible.

Quote:
which is mortal if not treated in time...

If rabies spreads in the body, it can only result in death, and that too a horrible one.
Thats absolutely true as there is probably no vaccine yet to cure nothing.

Quote:
Tying of cloth towards heart works in case of snake bite so that poison is contained in the bit area and doesn't reach the heart. I haven't heard it being used for animal bites.
Yes, that was the silly thing on my part. But if there is nothing is your hand, you might as well try to something that does not hurt and may help.

However, I would advocate everybody not to panic. There is a reasonable window upon such a bite, to start the curative process.

It is a fearsome disease if it is contracted.

However, its entry and spread can be arrested and cured if process is done properly and vaccination administered well in time. The first administration prescription is actually much longer than 24 hours. However, the earliest the better.

For instance, the fatal accident and jam on the ghat or the small landslides on that route on way back could very well have delayed our first treatment beyond control.

However, we already had knowledge of the situation, the discussion with paed when we got connection to her and a timeline. Not everybody is fortunate in all situations, gravity of bite, first aid to the patient, any urgency of the medication to begin. So the best is start medication as soon as possible at the first available point. We could have as well administered the first dose in the morning after coming back to Bombay in the night. However, we chose to find out the first accessible place nearby that could have the best chance to have medication available.

The medication is almost always available at Govt Hospitals.

One interesting thing I came to know at Bombay Govt Hospitals, a couple of them nearby. They would give the dosage on a particular day and time only. There is a reason to that.

They have large capacity stock kept at hospital which is opened once and which needs to be finished then and in that time window of couple of hours for that opened stock. It cannot be restocked. So to avoid wastage, they have to administer patients on their timeline. Then it doesn't matter for them if your doctor has advised a particular day for the dosage.

However, this is a bit of digression to highlight certain things I learnt in this episode this time with my son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
I absolutely do not agree and there are many things in your quoted post that I would love to discuss further. But it would only lead to needless arguments.

I have made my point and since neither of us are doctors (from your profile) nor obviously experts in this field, I shall wait for the doctors or experts to make their comments.

Sometimes, its best to accept ones mistake and move on, rather than making more irresponsible statements.
You may chose to ignore or accept.

I have made many things amply clear in my posts and thats why elaborate posts.

Also, we did have very good conversations with doctors (apart from our paed in Bombay) as also I indicated and their suggestions, although not exactly reproduced and at the same time a doctor of another stream besides me during all the time.

We should also find it hard to digest that some people do well untreated in the villages atleast as I found from conversation with the villagers.

Animals can get provoked for various reasons and they can react. They are not the cause, people are.
We see people inciting them at such places and causing unnecessary situation for themselves and around.

Just exercise caution, proper process and treatment in the timeline. Do not panic and don't create panicky situation. But do administer at the first point available in the time window and if possible first aid administered.

Last edited by parsh : 21st September 2018 at 17:20.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks