Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2019, 14:57   #46
BHPian

Re: Bhutan to tighten tourist inflow

I am thinking of a trip to Bhutan next year and that $50 per day, per person is going to give me serious pause. That is steep because one still has to budget for acco, food, travel, entry fees etc. after that $50. Perhaps Sikkim or Uttarakhand or Ladakh will appreciate my business more.

That said, I do agree why Bhutan would not want the disruptive, entitled Indian tourist to visit them. The considerate ones are considerably fewer in number unfortunately. Racism against Indians I don't think will be a factor in Bhutan unlike the West.
Old 5th February 2020, 07:32   #47
BHPian

The much talked about SDF is finally here, Indian tourists to be charged RS 1200 per day from July 2020

Quote:
Ending decades of free entry to Indian tourists visiting Bhutan, the government in Thimphu has decided to levy a daily ₹1,200 ($17) fee for “regional tourists” from India, the Maldives and Bangladesh, beginning July 2020. The fee, called a Sustainable Development Fee (SDF), is meant to help the government deal with burgeoning numbers in tourist traffic, which it is seeking to regulate through a new tourism policy.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...37792.ece/amp/
Old 5th February 2020, 12:10   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

The Hindu

This is actually a good move; albeit it does draw invisible lines from a expense perspective putting budget tourists at a disadvantage.

A few additional points that have to be considered wrt the 1200 INR/day SDF charge

- Applicable from July 2020 (not 100% clear if the Indian govt can still do something on this decision till then)

- Indians form nearly 70% of the total tourists with the numbers reaching 19 lakhs; a majority coming during holiday seasons (e.g. Durga Puja)

- The SDF charge would not apply for tourists traveling to the eastern (11 out of 20) districts, from Trongsa to Trashigang; as generally the western regions are more developed/traveled to

- The SDF charge is zero for kids upto the age of 5 and 600 INR/day for ages 6 to 12

- Still a far less amount than the $250/day fees (inclusive of $65 SDF charges & $40 visa fees) that foreigners have to pay

- Applicable to only folks from India, Bangladesh and Maldives
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks