Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2016, 10:05   #211
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Bekal Fort (Kasargod) - Kabini : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednikhil View Post
The roads are perfect so no worries on that account.
Just follow google maps, it's very accurate in this case.
Insights:
  • Very fast upto 200 km, 4 lanes.
  • Lots of Ghats after that.
  • Scenic jungle roads.
  • Low traffic volume.
  • Start early morning to avoid late evening driving.
  • If your destination is Bekal, look out for a left turn after Jalsoor; google guidance is pretty accurate here. That way, you can avoid Kasargod.
  • Be mindful that it's easy to over speed on this route, kindly avoid. Drive steady, drive safe.
Chief, planning BLR-Bekal with a 3YO, in Ford Ecosport. Not very comfortable with harpins. Does the route has ghat roads only or hairpins as well? Will help in deciding the trip. Planning to stay Day1 in Mysore to visit the Zoo and then start for Bekal Day2 early morning and return Day4. Plz suggest. If there's any alternate route to avoid hairpins, that also works well. Thx
Old 11th April 2016, 14:52   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinr30 View Post
Chief, planning BLR-Bekal with a 3YO, in Ford Ecosport. Not very comfortable with harpins. Does the route has ghat roads only or hairpins as well? Will help in deciding the trip.
I don't recall any haipin bends, may one odd could be there. Definitely, twisting and turning roads exist aplenty but nothing that the Ford can't take on.
rednikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2016, 15:01   #213
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinr30 View Post
Plz suggest. If there's any alternate route to avoid hairpins, that also works well.
Whatever route you take (via Bangalore or Mysore) there are going to be hilly roads/twisty sections when going to or returning from Bekal. As such, I don't remember any treacherous hair-pin bends.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2016, 09:25   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednikhil View Post
I don't recall any haipin bends, may one odd could be there. Definitely, twisting and turning roads exist aplenty but nothing that the Ford can't take on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Whatever route you take (via Bangalore or Mysore) there are going to be hilly roads/twisty sections when going to or returning from Bekal. As such, I don't remember any treacherous hair-pin bends.
Thanks folks. Trip deferred for next week, but will use this info to ride on and report back updates.
nitinr30 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2016, 17:14   #215
BHPian

i am planning a trip in may ., is that kannan resort good ?
Old 16th April 2016, 19:36   #216
Distinguished - BHPian

I did blr - bekal a couple of days back with kids. While going I took Blr - CRpatna - Hale Kunche (SH121) - Holenarsipur - Arakulgod - Ramanathpur - Konanur - Kushal Nagar - Madikeri - Cherkala - Bekal. I really liked this route. Less traffic and less twisty roads compared to Gundya and Somwarpet routes.

On return my phone conked and I missed the Ramanathpur turn in Kushalnagar. As I didn't have GPS, decided to stick to Kushalnagar - Mysore - Bangalore. I always avoid this road but decided to take a chance as it being a weekday. It continues to be a terrible route. They cleared the speed breakers in many places but kept the barricades. Very congested highway in general. Looks ugly also with all the food/stay business sign boards.
Old 17th April 2016, 00:12   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I did blr - bekal a couple of days back with kids. While going I took Blr - CRpatna - Hale Kunche (SH121) - Holenarsipur - Arakulgod - Ramanathpur - Konanur - Kushal Nagar - Madikeri - Cherkala - Bekal. I really liked this route. Less traffic and less twisty roads compared to Gundya and Somwarpet routes.
how long did it take ,

would i be taking same route if i was coming from kabini to bekal?

thanks and hows the weather there?
Old 17th April 2016, 00:27   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
how long did it take ,

thanks and hows the weather there?
Old 17th April 2016, 11:07   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kippu View Post
The shortest option would be Kabini-Mananthavady-Boystown-Iritty-Thaliparamba-Kanhangad-Bekal. But considering that you'd be driving through Kerala for the most parts of that journey, traffic is likely to be denser - especially after you get on to NH17 at Taliparamba.

Slightly longer alternatives would be :

1) Kabini-Kattikkulam-Kutta-Virajpet-Madikeri-Sulia-Jalsoor-Cherkala-Bekal

or

2) Kabini-HD Kote-Hunsur-Madikeri and then the same route as above to Bekal

Roads are generally OK in option 1. Not sure of the HD Kote-Hunsur road conditions in option 2.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2016, 11:39   #220
BHPian

thank you kala , would you happen to know the apprx time taken on these roads?

i might take the madikeri option and have some coorgi lunch and be on the way
Old 17th April 2016, 14:14   #221
BHPian

The road via Madikeri is much longer.. It is suggested to take the Mananthavady-Boystown-Iritty-Thaliparamba-Kanhangad . You will not hit much traffic as you are touching NH only after Thalipparamba. I am not sure on the road condition till Iritty, but beyond that it's in very good condition
Old 17th April 2016, 18:48   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kippu View Post
thank you kala , would you happen to know the apprx time taken on these roads?

i might take the madikeri option and have some coorgi lunch and be on the way
Kabini-Mananthavady should be doable in about 1 to 1.5 hours (Distance is only 35-40 kms but a large part of it is a forest road with plenty of speed breakers all along). Mananthavady-Taliparamba should be about 3 hours (120 kms), and Taliparamba-Bekal probably 1 to 1.5 hours (60 to 70 kms).

Not sure about the timings for the routes through Madikeri because I have never driven on some of those roads (like HD Kote-Hunsur), and taken some of them only a long time ago when the roads were not too great.
Old 29th April 2016, 12:12   #223
BHPian

@rednikhil, @ampere apologies for not posting this earlier but the road trip to bekal from Chennai was absolutely wonderful!

Chennai to Electronic City, Bangalore took us about 5 hours with a half hour break for tea. But from there to Rajaji Nagar using the nice road took us an hour! Insane.

We left the next morning at 6 to Bekal and the roads are simply fantastic. Kudos to the Karnataka government for the infrastructure. We took a small detour in Kerala at Bovikanam which took us through neighbourhood roads and that was terrible. But overall great drive there. I was especially amazed at the road section from Gundya through Subramanya and down the ghats. Wonderful!

We ventured from Bekal to Kanhangad the next day just for a drive and man, those roads are insanely bad. There are sections with no roads at all. But north from Bekal to Kasaragod its perfectly fine.

Thanks guys for the route suggestions. Great trip overall!
qr20de is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2016, 19:51   #224
BHPian

Folks,

Planning a trip to Bekal from Bangalore on 5th May. Thinking of sticking to NH48, ie, hassan, Sakleshpur route.
My question: Is it safe to travel in the night on this route? I will be able to start only by 4PM from BLR along with my wife and 2 kids ( a 4 yr old and 8 yr old). Vehicle is polo GT TSI.

Thanks,

Last edited by skydiver : 1st May 2016 at 19:52. Reason: clarifying
Old 1st May 2016, 20:04   #225
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
Folks,
Planning a trip to Bekal from Bangalore on 5th May. Thinking of sticking to NH48, ie, hassan, Sakleshpur route.
My question: Is it safe to travel in the night on this route? I will be able to start only by 4PM from BLR along with my wife and 2 kids ( a 4 yr old and 8 yr old). Vehicle is polo GT TSI.
Not worth it. The route may be safe, but the amount of curves that you have, it not be a good idea. Also there will be no one to guide you if you lose your way. Better stick to morning.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks