Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2016, 23:16   #271
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Bekal Fort (Kasargod) - Kabini : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
As per reports in this thread Madikeri - Somwarpet - Shanivarasanthe - Arkalagud is in good shape. I could not take it as I missed the way at Arkalagud and ended up near Kushal Nagar while going to Bekal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
Shanivarsante-Somwarpet-Madikeri stretch is good with twisty roads. Traffic is less but scenery makes your journey enjoyable. However travelling at night post 8pm should be strictly avoided as this area is prone to elephants. I have been regular in this stretch for quite sometime when Shiradi was closed due to repairs and couple of months back I had taken this route to Puttur in my bike and it is my preferred route than Kushalnagar one.
Pramod, Draganhawk, Thanks for the feedback people. I will decide on the route to be taken depending on the time I start from Madikeri. I know Kushalnagar is standard route with frequent traffic. Driving with family on a secluded route towards late evening is not advisable. But if I get an early afternoon start from Madikeri, i will take that.
Old 1st October 2016, 20:18   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
If you going to Kukke, better to take Bangalore - Sakleshpur - Gundya - Kukke. Around 10 - 15 kms of bad roads.
Hi Pramod, you were bang on. Drove this morning from Bangalore - Sakleshpur - Gundya - Kukke. It was just about 10~15 kms of bad roads which is manageable and rest of the roads are great. Home to Kukke took just 5 hours 30 minutes of driving time which is pretty good.

The temple was surprisingly very free and had a good peaceful darshan.

Thanks for clearing my confusion yesterday.
Old 3rd October 2016, 10:27   #273
BHPian

Hi Fellow Travelers,

Needed some advice for the Diwali long weekend (Oct 29- 1st Nov). I know long weekends are sore as everybody is on the road, but can't do much in Bangalore as The Wife keeps nagging and The Kids keep pestering.

My kids enjoy only the beaches, so the destination has to be a coastal one.

Looking for beaches that are within 400 kms from Bangalore (preferably around 350 kms or so) as we do not want to travel longer than that in our own car (Wagon R).

Ruled out Goa, Karwar et al as they're well more than 400 kms and the buses are charging exorbitant rates for the long weekend (a non-AC sleeper to Goa starts from 2000 bucks- not worth).

Ruled out Chennai/Mahabalipuram/Puducherry due to the ongoing Cauvery issues.

That leaves me with limited options-
1. A good beach resort in Mangalore/Ullal
2. Bekal
3. <<Any other>>???

Wanted to try Bekal as it seems to have lesser tourists than other places.

Questions-
1. Considering that the ask is for a destination with at least one good beach (and safe as well, since we're a small family and we would like to spend as much time on the beach as possible), which one would be better? Mangalore or Bekal? Never done any of them before
2. If Bekal, I would like to do a 2 part trip- Is this a good idea? The idea here is to do a break journey as Wifey doesn't like to spend more than 5 hours in the car on a single stretch and so do the kids.
a. Day 1: Bangalore to Madikeri- spend a day there. Which route has the best roads to Madikeri (please note I drive a 2014 Wagon R with little under 13K on the ODO)? Via Mysore road? Or via the Hassan road?
b. Day 2: Start early to Bekal- spend the rest of the day there and overnight as well.
c, Day 3: Start post breakfast back to Bangalore

Please also suggest alternatives given my requirement above

Last edited by Car-go-man : 3rd October 2016 at 10:29.
Old 3rd October 2016, 11:49   #274
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-go-man View Post
Wanted to try Bekal as it seems to have lesser tourists than other places.
I don't think Bekal beach is anything like the ones in Goa, quite rough at times.
You'd be surprised that Bekal is also quite busy, but do give it a shot. Most of the good resorts are quite expensive and have their own private beaches and most are on the backwaters side so you get a riverside beach as well as the seaside beach with an estuary in between. Taj and Lalit Ashok have such beautiful properties there.
If you're going to Madikeri and then Bekal due to the 5 hour journey time, that's fine too. You can take the Mysore-Hunsur-Kushalnagar route as you will get to visit the Tibetan monastery at Bylakuppe, Kaveri Nisargadhama and halt at Madikeri (try to visit Rajah Seat at least in the evening) before heading our next day via Somwarpet-Sullia-Bekal.

Last edited by NPV : 3rd October 2016 at 11:51.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2016, 11:58   #275
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Looking for beaches that are within 400 kms from Bangalore (preferably around 350 kms or so) as we do not want to travel longer than that in our own car (Wagon R).
1. A good beach resort in Mangalore/Ullal
2. Bekal
3. <<Any other>>???
Bekal beach is very rough and people are advised not to venture into water. So surely not the place which kids will enjoy. You want to try places around Udupi/Manipal/Mangalore etc.

Quote:
Mangalore or Bekal? Never done any of them before
Mangalore
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2016, 17:35   #276
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Would second Ampere's suggestion to go mangalore/udupi. Few suggestions:
1. Kaup - http://www.thebluematsya.com/
2. Byndoor - Sai Vishram. Check my thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...beach-bum.html
3. Maravanthe - Justa has a resort on the beach and I do remember a couple more around the area

Do check hemanth's thread regarding valiyaparamba beach - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...mba-beach.html
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2016, 11:05   #277
BHPian

As always very informative and detailed routes. Thanks

Here is the plan

Dec 17th

Hennur Bangalore to - Sinnadorai Bungalow Kadamane Estate

Specific Question: From the Highway to Sinnadorai- Google shows three routes

1. Diversion from Anemahal-22 kms

2. Diversion from Manjarabad Fort - 22kms

3. Diversion from Marnahalli - 25 kms

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/An...8063!3e0?hl=en

Any one knows relatively better one ? Thanks

20th

Sinnadorai Bungalow to Bekal

Via Gundya- Subramanya

22nd Bekal to Bangalore - Via Chaerkala Madikeri Somwarpet CR Patna Bangalore

Latest road conditions would be very helpful

Thanks
Subbu
Old 26th November 2016, 22:41   #278
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbu567 View Post
Latest road conditions would be very helpful.
The only route to Kadamane I know of is to turn off at Anemahal junction to the right (easy to miss turn so be alert, you get the Manajarabad fort entry beside the road and shops around the place about 1.5-2km after Anemahal junction so if you see them you need to head back).
Once on this road about 5km before Kadamane you will see a Primary Health centre and just after that you have to turn left and the road winds it's way into Kadamane estate. Roads upto Sakleshpura Anemahal junction are good and as per recent reports the mudigere road where you turn to right at Anemahal is also resurfaced and good.

From Kadamane if you're going to Bekal, better to bite the bullet and endure a few km of bad roads on Shiradi and turn off to left (at Gundya) towards Kukke Subrahmanya, then go via Jalsoor, Doddathota estate (take right fork towards cherkala left goes to Sullia) and then you will reach Bekal via Chattanchal.
On tour return, you can take Sullia-Madikeri-somwarpet-CR Patna-Nelamangala-Bangalore if you want to try that route.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 27th November 2016 at 14:32. Reason: typo corrected
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2016, 09:43   #279
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbu567 View Post
Hennur Bangalore to - Sinnadorai Bungalow Kadamane Estate
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
The only route to Kadamane I know of is to turn off at Anemahal junction to the right
Subbu - Do check my thread on Kadamane for more details. Your key turn off points needs to be:
1. Anemahal right towards Hanbal - watch out for a Canara bank on your right, after which you will get this right fork.
2. Primary health care center where you need to turn left and get onto a narrow road which leads to Kadamane.

Don't take the road via maranahalli as folks from Kadamane themselves don't recommend it.

Road conditions also posted here

Do ensure that you take the concrete road after the first few kms of bad stretch after the turn off from the healthcare center. Also once the concrete road ends, you might get lost then look at your driver side OVRM as you will need to take a U turn at the bus stop at the end of the concrete road and drive through some more bad roads to get to Kadamane gate. Also note, for the last few kms you will not get mobile connectivity and hence ensure that your GPS is connected and tracking you right from the deviation near the health care center.

Last edited by procrj : 28th November 2016 at 09:44.
Old 21st December 2016, 09:26   #280
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Not sure if this is the right thread to ask question about road from Bangalore to Bekal fort, Kerala. Google map is showing a road via Madikeri and Sullia. Could somebody help on the route condition? Also any info on accommodation would be great along with nearby places to see.
Rajiv - replying to your post from the other thread here as it is more appropriate.

To Bekal, some of your options are:
1. Bangalore-Sakleshpur-Gundya-Kukke-Jalsoor-Cherkala-Chattanchal-Bekal
(This route goes via Shiradi ghat, hope it is open and conditions are fine at least till Gundya)

2. Bangalore-CR Patna-Holenarasipura-Arkalgud-Shanivarasanthe-Somwarpet-Madikeri-Sullia (via Sampaje Ghat)-Cherkala-Chattanchal-Bekal
This one has twisty roads via estates between Madikeri-Somwarpet and is very scenic, not treacherous at all.

If Shiradi is fine, you can take one route for onward and one for return.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2016, 11:25   #281
BHPian

NPV, Procrj and others,

Just returned from a fabulous trip - route taken, time and conditions below

1.17th Dec 2016

Left home at 6:30 to Sinnadorai, Kadamane.

Via: Neelamangala fly over(Left almost immediately on to NH 75), CR Patna, Hassan, Sakleshpur - turn right at Anemahal(immediately after a Hotel Surabhi NX), left turn after a primary health center, 2-3 kms of bad roads, concrete road, and a sharp turn at the bus stop, and to Sinnadorai.

This road condition is superb all the way and 4 landed up-to Hassan with a small stretch of 2 laned roads around the CR Patna crossing, and a superb two lane up-to the right turn
Reached the estate by 1045 after a leisurely drive.

Distance ~ 250 kms

Pit stop at A2B : 20 minutes

https://www.google.co.in/maps/place/...5!4d76.3297704

20th Dec 2016 : Sinnadorai to Bekal

It has been advised here only to trace back the route up-to Anemahal junction. However this will lead to additional time of at-least 45 minutes. The local drivers advised the marnahalli road has been done up and is very nice now. So took a chance- you can catch this road by NOT taking a sharp left turn at Kadamane 2 KM milestone but driving straight through what looks like bush! This road(https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Si...078063!1m0!3e0) is bad for 2 kms but not worse than the stretches in the Anemahal road. After 2 kms you hit a state highway that joins NH 75 just before a river bridge. It just took 20 minutes to reach the NH from Kadamane as against an hour through the other route. Hence strongly recommended even if you are returning to Bangalore.

So left at 730 am : 915 am Subhramanya Temple via Gundya

Distance of 57 kms

The road is roughly 20 odd KMS before you take the left to Kukke at Gundya.

For the last 7-8 kms before the left turn - there are some pot holes but nothing alarming and absolutely manageable in any car. Saw some alto's casually overtaking my innova at 50kms/hr.

After you take the left turn the road is so twisty and scenic with very less traffic and a pleasure to drive

Left Subhramanya at 945 towards Bekal

Route : Jalsur, Cherkala, Chattanchal, Taj Vivanta

Distance : 100 kms

Reached Taj Bekal at 1230.

This road is again very twisty, scenic and narrow at a very few places- but a highly enjoyable ride with very little traffic. Except a 2 kms patchy section close to Kasragod(after you cross NH 275) the road surface is excellent throughout

While at Bekal we also went to Viceroy restaurant (@ MG road Kasaragod- a neat 15 minutes drive on the NH 66 almost parallel to the sea, great Malabar biriyani, even for vegetarians!)

22nd : Back home

Left Taj at 12 noon

Rouet taken : Jalsoor, Sullya, Madikeri, Somwarpet ( For somwarpet I followed google- there are two routes one immediately after exiting madikeri on Kushal nagar road , an another after a few kms away at Suntikoppa, the one I took), Shanivarasanthe, Arkalgud, Holenarsipur, CR Patna and back on NH 75 home via Nilamangala.

Distance 391 KMS - reached home at 815 pm due to heavy traffic after Nilamangala.

The road conditions are better experienced- absolutely stunning all the way with clear markings and signage's.

Just before Jalsoor you have to take a right onto NH 275 and drive for 57 kms to reach Madikeri- - even this stretch was empty.

The rest of the roads all the way upto CR Patna it felt like they were exclusively laid for us barring few villages and KSRTC buses!!

We had a pit stop at one Malgudi Veg restaurant immediately after a toll-gate that follows CCD on the right.

This one served us yummy masale dose and had clean toilets.

Over all a great trip, planned to the last detail made possible by this great community.

Thanks a lot folks !!!

My only disappointment is - it was expected to be a wild life stretch between Somwarpet and Shanivarasanthe- We could not even see Monkey's. May be I missed the correct route. But the driver in me thoroughly enjoyed and actually arrived fully refreshed!

Last edited by subbu567 : 23rd December 2016 at 11:54. Reason: corrected spellings and corruptions
subbu567 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2017, 11:26   #282
BHPian

Took the route Bangalore - HD Kote Handpost - Kabini - Bavali - Boy's Town - Iritty - Payyanur (Home town) - Bekal - Payyanur - Iritty - Gonikoppal - Hunsur - Bangalore.

Bangalore - Kabini Forest Safari Point (Dammanakatte) -> Road is excellent. Took the Mysore ORR and it was filled with thick fog at morning 5.15am. Started from Bangalore around 3:30am. Kabini Safari was closed on 23rd Friday, Dec'17
Nagarhole Gate - Perya -> Road is Patchy and rough at many places.
Perya - Kottiyur -> It was okey - okey
Kottiyur - Payyanur - Bekal - Excellent road

Return was usual Gonikoppal route which is the best and fast route.
Old 23rd January 2017, 11:25   #283
BHPian

I am planning an extended long weekend drive and stay starting on Jan 26 from Bangalore. I am traveling to Bekal and have a booking for 1 night. Then I will spend a couple of nights in Coorg / Madikeri and return to Bangalore on Jan 29.

I would love to get suggestions for 2 different routes for my onward and return journey and will be traveling in my Swift. I have read the earlier suggestions, but would love to hear the current road conditions.
Old 23rd January 2017, 12:01   #284
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphukan View Post
I am planning an extended long weekend drive and stay starting on Jan 26 from Bangalore. I am traveling to Bekal and have a booking for 1 night. Then I will spend a couple of nights in Coorg / Madikeri and return to Bangalore on Jan 29.
I think you should be thinking about crowd because of the long weekend. If you leave early on 26th, you should still be OK taking the Gundya - Subramanya - Jalasoor - Cherkala - Bekal but the return on 29th from Coorg/Madikeri can turn into a nightmare if not planned properly. Mysore road will surely be a mess and hence your best bet would be to plan to start from Madikeri by 11 am and take

1. Somwarpete - HNpura - CRpatna - Nelamangala
2. Kushalnagar - Ramnathapura - CRpatna - Nelamangala

Nelamangala can also get clogged thanks to the long weekend and hence an alternate route could be Kushalnagar - Ramnathapura - KRpet - Nagamangala - Magadi - NICE road. This will surely be slower than CRpatna - Nelamangala but you should not have a lot of traffic here and hence could be a stress free drive upto magadi.
Old 27th February 2017, 09:33   #285
BHPian

Re: Chennai to payyanur Route Queries

Folks,
Planning a trip as under,

Chennai to payyanur to kollur to honnavar to chennai via Bangalore.

Please advice on the onward route and also road conditions.

cheers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks