Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2019, 17:52   #316
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Bekal Fort (Kasargod) - Kabini : Route Queries

Did this stretch recently, except that it was to Nileshwar. We left Bangalore on 27/Dec and back on 30/Dec.

27/Dec : Bangalore - Ramanagara - Mandya - Srirangapatna - Hunsur - Gonikoppal - Bittangala - Valliathode - Cheruvathur - Nileshwar ~389 km

The drive through Hunsur Reserve Forest was nice. From Hunsur, the roads are single lane, and bad roads till Gonikoppal. After Bittangala, you enter Kerala and it is a drive through another reserve forest. Ok roads and at places they were being repaired because of the recent rains and only 1 lane of vehicles could go through.

30/Dec : Nileshwar - Kanhangad - Bovikanam - Sullia - Subrahmanya - Sakleshpur - Hassan - Bangalore ~400 km

Nice twisties, ups and downs till Subrahmanya. The road from Subrahmanya Road to Hassan was bad. 4 lane traffic from Hassan. Otherwise good roads and would prefer this route over the above Payyanur one.

Drive time both ways was around 9 hours.
Old 14th January 2019, 17:45   #317

Did a Bekal trip from Chennai on the 8th of Jan and returned back to Chennai on the 12th. It was a family trip, so I was accompanied by my wife, two kids and sister-in-law.

To get to Bekal, we started Chennai at 12:45AM and reached Bekal at 11:30AM with about a 30min break at a CCD on the Hassan highway. This was the stretch that was covered towards Bekal
Chennai - Vellore - Hosur - Bangalore - Hassan - Sakleshpur - Gundiya - Subrahmanya - Jalsoor - Bekal

For the return journey we started Bekal at 12:00PM and reached Chennai at 2:00AM with about 2 hours in breaks. I really didn't want to do the twisties on my way back home because I honestly thought that the twisties on the above route were horrible with loads of blind corners, so if you are stuck behind a bus or a small slow moving vehicle then press F for respect. Also, these are not the type of twisties that are enjoyable to drive imo as they were too tight (maybe good for a hatchback) and some parts of the ghat roads were in bad condition. So this is the route we took on our way back
Bekal - Jalsoor - Suliya - Madikeri - Kushalnagar - Konanur - Ramanathapura - Arakalagud - Hassan - Bangalore - Hosur - Chennai

This stretch was so much better with amazing roads and it was a breeze to drive on except for a small stretch near Konanur town. Just expect to go through quite a few speed bumps from kushalnagar to hassan.
pgrcrazy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 14:22   #318
BHPian

I want to travel to Kasargod/Nileshwar next week. I see posts for both routes. Are both good for travel? Which one is preferred for Onward - Bangalore to Kasargod and which for return.

Bangalore - Bekal Fort (Kasargod) - Kabini : Route Queries-kasargod.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 2nd February 2020 at 22:20. Reason: Image inserted in-line.
Old 15th May 2019, 08:40   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedkrish View Post
I want to travel to Kasargod/Nileshwar next week.
You may do this loop:

Bangalore - Mysore - Gonikoppal - Thaliparamba - Nileswar - Cherkala (Kasargod) - Jalsoor - Madikeri - Bangalore

Roads are good throughout.

https://goo.gl/maps/AmK17d3JGnc8HQJ99
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2019, 13:19   #320
BHPian

Guys, any recommendations on houseboat stay at Bekal or Nileshwar? Is this is a good season for overnight houseboat stay ?
Old 7th June 2019, 17:46   #321
BHPian

Route Update

Bangalore to Kanhagad [ Bekal ]

Bangalore-Hassan-Sakleshpur-Kukke-Jalsoor-Kasargod-Kanhagad.

Mostly good roads except for Hassan to Sakleshpur where road widening works in progress.

Time - 7-8 hours.

Return came via Mangalore.
Old 7th September 2019, 18:01   #322
BHPian

Route update.
We went to Bekal on 31.08.2019 and returned on 02.09.2019.

Onward journey was via Hassan.
Bangalore-Hassan-Sakleshpur-Subramanya-Jalsoor-Bekal

As mentioned earlier in the thread, there is road widening happening - however the bigger issue I had was that the roads were extremely patchy - lots of mini potholes and bumps to look out for. Additionally, the difficultly of overtaking behind slower larger vehicles.

Return journey was via Madikere - this is the default route provided by Google maps. The return journey was much better especially the quality of the roads. Time-wise roughly both sides of the journey took around 8 hours with some relaxed driving.
Old 7th September 2019, 19:24   #323
Senior - BHPian

I had been to Kumbla, near Kasaragod on 04/09 from Udupi. The roads around the pump well circle is patchy and was water logged. The roads till the toll gate at Talapady are excellent and one can find barricades near the medians.

Beyond the toll gate, the scene changes dramatically. The roads are all pot holed and deeply rutted. The buses which normally did't care for such stuff earlier are now slow movers on these bad stretches. These along with lorries create a lot of bottlenecks for other faster moving vehicles. There are some small stretches which are good, but the bad stretch robs you out of the driving pleasure.
Old 8th September 2019, 09:55   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by execve View Post
Route update.
We went to Bekal on 31.08.2019 and returned on 02.09.2019.

Onward journey was via Hassan.
Bangalore-Hassan-Sakleshpur-Subramanya-Jalsoor-Bekal

Return journey was via Madikere - this is the default route provided by Google maps. The return journey was much better especially the quality of the roads. Time-wise roughly both sides of the journey took around 8 hours with some relaxed driving.

You might have taken the Bovikanam-Sullia-Madikeri route, that's in good condition. But you had an option of taking the Panathur - Bhagamandala - Madikeri route which more scenic and dense forest. Here is the video which I have taken a week back before your travel date.

Old 13th December 2019, 09:52   #325
BHPian

Bangalore - Bekal route queries

Hi, I plan to travel in the next 4 weeks to Taj Bekal from Bangalore (Basavangudi). Since Im travelling with my kid (9 months old), just want to be sure of the best motorable route to Bekal. Since Im a first time dad, would a baby seat be absolutely necessary and if yes, which one would you recommend. I have an option of my Creta or the City and which one would you suggest ?
Old 13th December 2019, 16:33   #326
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Bekal route queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshays View Post
Hi, I plan to travel in the next 4 weeks to Taj Bekal from Bangalore (Basavangudi). Since Im travelling with my kid (9 months old), just want to be sure of the best motorable route to Bekal.
There are couple of options for you to reach Bekal from Bangalore

1) Bangalore -> Nelamangala -> Chennarayapatna -> Holenarasipura - Madikeri -> Suliya -> Bekal

2) Bangalore -> Ramanagar -> Mandya -> Hunsur -> Kushalnagar -> Madikeri -> Suliya -> Bekal

I would prefer the first route if I am travelling on a weekend. On a weekday 2nd route via Mandya is preferred as you will save some amount on Toll. Both the routes are good until Suliya. Post Jalsoor once you enter Kerala the roads are fine but will be a single lane and condition of the roads are also of not that great until Mulleria.

In case you have option of taking Creta I would prefer this one because of good GC.
Old 24th December 2019, 12:30   #327
BHPian

Thanks, I should have replied earlier. Decided to do route 2 since I will be traveling with my 9 months old son. Leaving on a Sunday morning at 6am. Trust the roads are fine now.

Last edited by aah78 : 2nd February 2020 at 22:20. Reason: Typo.
Old 2nd February 2020, 21:58   #328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshays View Post
Thanks, I should have replied earlier. Decided to do route 2 since I will be traveling with my 9 months old son. Leaving on a Sunday morning at 6am. Trust the roads are fine now.
Can you please update the road conditions and best possible hotels for food?
I am planning to drive to Bekal this month and I will be traveling with a toddler.

Last edited by aah78 : 2nd February 2020 at 22:20. Reason: Typo.
nax04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2020, 22:55   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nax04 View Post
Can you please update the road conditions and best possible hotels for food?
I am planning to drive to Bekal this month and I will be traveling with a toddler.
The road conditions are good through out.

You may go via - Bangalore - Mysore (bypass via KRS road) - Hunsur - Madikeri - Sullya - Jalsoor - Cherkala - Bekal.

A small stretch of KRS road is under construction, but generally good.

If you would like to explore a bit, you can go via - Bangalore - Mysore (bypass via KRS road) - Hunsur - Gonikoppal - Iritty - Sreekandapuram - Taliparamba - Payyanur - Kanhangad - Bekal.

And return via Sullya, so you do not have to be bored by same routes to and fro. Both are of same travel time.

Hotel options:

Plenty on Mysore road, Cafe county (Hunsur), Coorg Gate (Perumbadi, if going via Gonikoppal) etc..
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 19:03   #330
BHPian

Folks, planning a 3 car drive to Bekal this coming weekend. Which route is better, Nelamangala - Kunigal - Holenarasipura - Bylakuppe - Sullia - Bekal or take the Mysore road? Consideration is the fastest route with good/decent roads. Also, we have kids and ladies, so halts with decent restrooms will help.
Thanks in advance!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks