Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2014, 17:57   #166
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Bekal Fort (Kasargod) - Kabini : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Heading to Bekal in early jan for a few days. If shiradi ghat is closed, is Hunsur/Madikeri the only way to reach?
Doesn't seem like Shiradi will close down as per earlier announcements since a lot of patch work is being done, see the updates on the Art of travelling to Mangalore/Udupi thread.

You can also go via Channarayapatna-Holenarasipura-Arkalgud-Shanivarasanthe-Somwarpet-Madikeri-Sampaje-Sullia-Kasargod, see my earlier updates on this thread, did this route in October.

But I read recently about road widening work on the Sullia-Sampaje stretch as well, do check that.

Last edited by NPV : 16th December 2014 at 18:00.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2014, 12:42   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Heading to Bekal in early jan for a few days. If shiradi ghat is closed, is Hunsur/Madikeri the only way to reach?
Hunsur - Madikeri - Bhagamandala - Panathur - Kanhangad - Bekal is the shortest. I heard that the road is in good condition now except for a few patches.
RajeshK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2014, 18:05   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
You can also go via Channarayapatna-Holenarasipura-Arkalgud-Shanivarasanthe-Somwarpet-Madikeri-Sampaje-Sullia-Kasargod, see my earlier updates on this thread, did this route in October.
If one is coming from Hyderabad to Madikeri, google maps show this route after Bangalore. i.e.

Bangalore-Nelamangla-Channarayapatna-Holenarasipura-Arkalgud-Shanivarasanthe-Somwarpet-Madikeri

Is this route to Madikeri fine? considering it'll be covered during 2nd half (evening) of the day? Or is it better to take a longer route through Mysore? Mysore route will be adding more time to the journey, so wanted to check on the above route?
Old 22nd December 2014, 20:25   #169
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satpalsharma View Post
Is this route to Madikeri fine? considering it'll be covered during 2nd half (evening) of the day? Or is it better to take a longer route through Mysore? Mysore route will be adding more time to the journey, so wanted to check on the above route?
Wouldn't recommend this for a night drive.
Too many twisties plus signages are very small and easy to miss on your first drive. In fact if you're coming down all the way from Hyderabad why not break at Bangalore or Mysore and then proceed to Madikeri ?
This route will not help in terms of time since it is mostly hilly terrain and undivided roads. It mainly helps avoid Bangalore Mysore traffic on Mysore road.

Last edited by NPV : 22nd December 2014 at 20:30.
Old 22nd December 2014, 20:40   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Too many twisties plus signages are very small and easy to miss on your first drive. In fact if you're coming down all the way from Hyderabad why not break at Bangalore or Mysore and then proceed to Madikeri ?
This route will not help in terms of time since it is mostly hilly terrain and undivided roads. It mainly helps avoid Bangalore Mysore traffic on Mysore road.
Thanks for the info. Taking a halt is not an option for us since we're tight on the number of days. I generally follow Google Maps religiously and it can take me through those twist and turns. Considering we'll be travelling a long distance don't want any known trouble choosing that route.

So what do you suggest, going through Mysore or choosing the above considering I can follow Google Maps and won't be lost? I'm hoping to leave B'lore around 2-3pm
Old 22nd December 2014, 21:11   #171
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If one is coming from Hyderabad to Madikeri, google maps show this route after Bangalore. i.e.
Bangalore-Nelamangla-Channarayapatna-Holenarasipura-Arkalgud-Shanivarasanthe-Somwarpet-Madikeri
Quote:
Too many twisties plus signages are very small and easy to miss on your first drive.
Quote:
Thanks for the info. Taking a halt is not an option for us since we're tight on the number of days. I generally follow Google Maps religiously and it can take me through those twist and turns. Considering we'll be travelling a long distance don't want any known trouble choosing that route.
If you start by 3AM sharp from Hyd you should be at Devanahalli by 9:30/10 max. Take an hour to Nelamangala. If you start by 12, I am sure by 6PM you should be in Madikeri.

Take the Devanahalli-Doddaballpur-Nelamangala route. That bypasses Bangalore totally.

But yes it would be a long drive. If you have more than one drivers, then I think its possible.

Last edited by ampere : 22nd December 2014 at 21:18.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2014, 21:14   #172
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So what do you suggest, going through Mysore or choosing the above considering I can follow Google Maps and won't be lost? I'm hoping to leave B'lore around 2-3pm
Take the Mysore route as you're starting late from Bangalore.
Bangalore - Mysore - Hunsur - Kushalnagar - Madikeri.
Old 24th December 2014, 15:12   #173
BHPian

Cross posting from "all roads to kerala thread" as I have been suggested to check here. I am travelling from Bangalore to Nileshwar coming tuesday and been suggested the following route : http://goo.gl/maps/1PtsA . Please comment if this is a good option considering I will be driving an i10 with 2 year kid on board. Are there eating joints all along the route OR should I stop only at some specific places for food in the itinerary?
Old 24th December 2014, 16:03   #174
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by svaid View Post
Cross posting from "all roads to kerala thread" as I have been suggested to check here. I am travelling from Bangalore to Nileshwar coming tuesday and been suggested the following route : http://goo.gl/maps/1PtsA . Please comment if this is a good option considering I will be driving an i10 with 2 year kid on board. Are there eating joints all along the route OR should I stop only at some specific places for food in the itinerary?
Yes thats the correct route as I mentioned in the other thread. Its much better compared to Hassan/Sakleshpur.
Old 29th December 2014, 14:23   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
But yes it would be a long drive. If you have more than one drivers, then I think its possible.

Quote:
Take the Mysore route as you're starting late from Bangalore.

Bangalore - Mysore - Hunsur - Kushalnagar - Madikeri.

Thanks NPV & ampere.

Took Mysore route which was good. Only I was driving.. Started 6:30am from Hyderabad and reached Madikeri by 8:30pm. Followed the same route on my way back as well.
satpalsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 11:10   #176
Senior - BHPian

Re: Route Query: Bangalore to Bekal/Kasaragod

I had made a trip to Bekal Fort in Kasaragod Dt on 27th December. It was my first trip to the Northern side of Kerala (beyond Kozhikode). I had decided to take the Thaliparamba->Iritty->Virajpet route, as our plan was to stay put at Madikeri/Virajpet for the night and then start next day morning to Bangalore.

At Bekal Fort I decided to double check with a police man who was on duty at the fort. He consulted with his colleague and gave me a totally different route. As per him, this route is much shorter than the Thaliparamba->Iritty route.

From Bekal Fort, we again enter the highway (and thus skipping bad roads of Kanjangad town) to reach the suburbs of Kanjangad (or bye-pass for the town). There we need to take the turn to Panathoor.

Roads from NH17 to Panathoor is quite good, though it has lots of twist and turns. It did not have many hair pin bends, but the road was climbing up through hills. Panathoor is around 50kms away. We reached this small town at around 1900Hrs. Panathoor is the Kerala state's last town in this route.

From then on the road condition goes worse, and it goes through a forest route. It was also getting colder and colder. At two points, the road goes right next to two small water falls. Darkness, the silence of the forest, the sound of the water fall plus the short "cluck..cluck" sound made by some wild creature; all made this trip a bit of an eerie experience. This route again is not "family friendly" at least in night time.

During this entire trip all we saw was four to five vehicles, that too coming from Coorg side. One of them was a Ernakulam registered Swift car, with its passengers having a quick shot of booze. No vehicles were trailing us, or over took us.

Karnataka Govt. has neatly placed a check post after the forest area is over . Guess they know that once people enter the forest at Panathoor there are no other exits to Karnataka. The check post is placed at an elevation, and the sentry just flashed his torch light and let us go.

PS: Map My India did not have Panathoor marked, so I had to use the "Ask & Proceed" method.
sachinpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2015, 17:10   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Doesn't seem like Shiradi will close down as per earlier announcements since a lot of patch work is being done, see the updates on the Art of travelling to Mangalore/Udupi thread.

But I read recently about road widening work on the Sullia-Sampaje stretch as well, do check that.
How is this route:

Channarayapatna-Holenarasipura-Arkalgud-Shanivarasanthe-Kudrasthe-Subramanya-Guthigaru-Jalsoor-Kasargod?

Seems to be somewhat shorter than doing a detour via madikeri. Any clues if this route is in acceptable condition?

Edit: A little more reading reveals it is the infamous Bisle ghat road which is in pathetic state.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 1st January 2015 at 17:37.
Old 1st January 2015, 20:03   #178
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Seems to be somewhat shorter than doing a detour via madikeri. Any clues if this route is in acceptable condition?

Edit: A little more reading reveals it is the infamous Bisle ghat road which is in pathetic state.
Don't attempt Bisle unless you and your vehicle are ready for off roading!
You will enjoy the route via Madikeri-Somwarpet-Shanivarasanthe. Twisty roads, less traffic and very scenic, good for a relaxed drive.
Old 16th January 2015, 11:57   #179
Senior - BHPian

I did a solo drive to Shanivarasanthe yesterday through Channarayapatna - Holenarasipura - Arakalgud. I took the direct route through SH-8 from Channarayapatna to Holenarasipura which has that dreaded 2 km stretch. So I decided to experiment with the Agrahara route while coming back and I must say its a fantastic route. It just adds 2-3 kms to the normal route but I reached Channarayapatna within no time through this fantastic road. Hence I highly recommend everyone to take this route to avoid the dreaded 2 km stretch near Holenarasipura.

Route Map:
Bangalore - Bekal Fort (Kasargod) - Kabini : Route Queries-1.jpg

From Channarayapatna side: At point A in the above map, take a right at the circle named "H.D.Revanna circle". The google map shows the wrong route from point B to point C on the map. There is no road there. The route is actually present along the red line which I have drawn between these two points. From A to C (SH-121), its a fantastic wide road as shown in the pics below. At point C, take a left and proceed in the well asphalted narrow road (SH-102) till point D and then take a left towards Holenarasipura.

There is one speed breaker between point A and C and two unofficial ones between C and D.

From Holenarasipura side: Proceed in the Hassan route and take a right at point D. There are well marked direction boards at point D and C in Kannada.

Fantastic and deserted SH-121:
Bangalore - Bekal Fort (Kasargod) - Kabini : Route Queries-imag1575.jpg

Bangalore - Bekal Fort (Kasargod) - Kabini : Route Queries-imag1576.jpg

Bangalore - Bekal Fort (Kasargod) - Kabini : Route Queries-imag1577.jpg

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 16th January 2015 at 12:01.
guyfrmblr is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th January 2015, 12:09   #180
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
The route is actually present along the red line which I have drawn between these two points. From A to C (SH-121), its a fantastic wide road as shown in the pics below. At point C, take a left and proceed in the well asphalted narrow road (SH-102) till point D and then take a left towards Holenarasipura.
Great update! To see the new road, look at satellite view in Google. I think we can see it (if its the same one you are referring to). Google should update it quite soon.

I can spot this road on the open street maps!

Last edited by ampere : 16th January 2015 at 12:10.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed