Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2007, 16:51   #1

Bangalore - Bekal Fort (Kasargod) - Kabini : Route Queries

Hi All
I was just going through the thread on the Bangalore kannur driving options.
1) Which would be the best option to Kasargod from Bangalore apart from the Mysore -Mercara route? The nearest route via Hassan - Sakleshpur and Kukke Subrahmanya is in pretty bad shape after Sakleshpur.
2) Driving back from Kasargod, ,\I plan to take the Nileshwar (where I would be staying) - Taliparamba - Sreekandapuram - Iritty - Kakkayangad Peravur - Tindummal - Mananthavady - kabini road. I have toured Wayanad extensively but need info on the condition of the road from Iritty to Mananthavady more recently.
3) Also, in one of the posts, I saw Samurai mention that the road upto Kabini had been tarred. Is this from the Nagarhole/Tholpetty side or HD Kote side?

Thanks for the reps in advance,
Old 3rd February 2007, 23:17   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aithal303 View Post
3) Also, in one of the posts, I saw Samurai mention that the road upto Kabini had been tarred. Is this from the Nagarhole/Tholpetty side or HD Kote side?
I had been to Kabini by car (Bangalore-Mysore-HD Kote road) in the 2nd week of December 2006. The road is very well maintained and asphalted till about 15 kms before the Kabini River Resort. The last 15km stretch to Kabini River Reesort via HD Kote is crater-ridden (potholes are nothing!). You literally need to ease your car's wheels into the craters and then get them out of it. By the time you accelerate out of one, you are faced with the next crater!! Hope they improved the road in last 2 months..
Old 4th February 2007, 19:19   #3

Hi Nikhil
Thanks for the reply. So are they still asphalting the road or has the work been ended 15 kms before Kabini?

Cheers
Old 9th April 2009, 23:51   #4

guyz its official , i been to kabini resort and got info from forest guards that road after kabini resort towards manthanvadi(kerela) wont be repaired as requested by forest ppl to govt officials not to tar , due to rekless driving from kerela truck drivers resulted in death of wild life ......
Old 10th April 2009, 10:00   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya6600 View Post
guyz its official , i been to kabini resort and got info from forest guards that road after kabini resort towards manthanvadi(kerela) wont be repaired as requested by forest ppl to govt officials not to tar , due to rekless driving from kerela truck drivers resulted in death of wild life ......
Is it true..? Deccan Herald - SC norms on road works flouted says, forest dept has given the permission.

thanks
Rajesh
Old 10th April 2009, 16:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

guys hows the condition of madikeri - sulya -kasargod route? I am planning to take this route from bangalore to go to bekal.
Old 12th April 2009, 16:25   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
guys hows the condition of madikeri - sulya -kasargod route?
Heard from many guys that this road is in good condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
I am planning to take this route from bangalore to go to bekal.
Why not taking Madikeri - Bhagamandala - Panathur - Kanhangad - Bekal? This may be a little shorter than the other. Road was in good condition few months back.

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 12th April 2009, 16:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Heard from many guys that this road is in good condition.

Why not taking Madikeri - Bhagamandala - Panathur - Kanhangad - Bekal? This may be a little shorter than the other. Road was in good condition few months back.

Thanks
Rajesh
Thanks Rajesh.
Since the Mangalore buses took that road, I was inclined.
Thanks for the other road info. I was afraid that the conditions were worse.
Old 29th September 2009, 16:49   #9
BHPian

It is now one heavy rain season after the last update on madikeri - sulya -kasargod route in this thread. If anyone has the most recent information on this route, please update.
Old 1st September 2012, 11:37   #10
BHPian

Hi guys,
Just came to Bekal fort yesterday from Bangalore. Route I took was Mysore Rd->Srirangapatnam->Shortcut to SH-88->Madikere->Sulya->Kasargod. Roads are mostly OK but with some nasty potholes near Sulya. Kushalnagar to Madikere is good...this was a pleasant surprise, as the last time I did a Coorg trip, this stretch was bad. But after Madikere, to Sulya roads are twisty and takes a long time to cover. Once you enter Kerela, roads are great, but quite narrow and again full of hairpin bends which slow you down. Was stuck behind a ow bus and omni for quite some time. Since it took about 9 hours total, I think I'll try a different route on the way back. Any suggestions?
Old 1st September 2012, 11:57   #11
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Bekal Fort (Kasargod) - Kabini : Route Queries

You can try
1. Kanhangad - Panathur - Bhagamandala - Madikeri - Bangalore (I don't have the latest update on this stretch up to Madikeri)

2. Kanhangad - Payyanur - Chiravakku (Thalipparamba) - Sreekantapuram - Iritty - Makkutta - Virajpet Town - Gonikkoppal - Hunsur - Bangalore -> In this the Gonikkoppal - Hunsur has bad stretches after the Coorg Border
If you take the left fork after the coorg border (there is a forest check post), you can reach Periyapatna. With this you can limit the distance of the bad stretch to 12km

3. Kanhangad - Payyanur - Chiravakku (Thalipparamba) - Sreekantapuram - Iritty - Makkutta - Virajpet Town - Ammathi - Siddapura - Kushalanagar - hunsur - Bangalore -> This will have the better roads, but the distance is more.

4. Kasaragod - Perla - Vittal - Puttur - Uppinagadi - Saklespur - Hassan - Bangalore ( Roads are good once you touch the Bangalore - Mangalore highway)

5. Kasaragod - Mangalore - Saklespur - Hassan - Bangalore (The best road out of all, but too long)

Thanks
Rajesh

Last edited by RajeshK : 1st September 2012 at 12:04.
Old 1st September 2012, 14:12   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
You can try
1. Kanhangad - Panathur - Bhagamandala - Madikeri - Bangalore (I don't have the latest update on this stretch up to Madikeri)
I passed through this route about 20 days back. Kanhangad to Panathur is in excellent condition. The 20 odd kms between Panathur and Bhagamandala is somewhat rough but as scenic as ever. But not bad enough to be an issue for even a low road clearance vehicles since there aren't any huge potholes.

Bhagamandala-Madikeri road is again very good (Wasn't in great shape when I did the same trip a year ago, so this road has certainly been redone sometime in the last year).

And Madikeri-Bangalore is of course great except for some stretches on the Yeliwala-Srirangapatna shortcut.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2013, 20:18   #13
BHPian

Guys, I'm planning a trip from Bangalore to Bekal on 2nd May. This will be four day trip, and I'm planning to drive in my Palio MJD. I'm driving with my wife and a six year old who does not like to stay in the confines of a car for too long. Hence I plan to leave early (like 3-4 AM) in the hope that my son will sleep until 8AM and I can cover a major part of the drive.

I need help with the route from frequent travelers or recent visitors as I've never driven in these parts.

My queries
1. Best route: Need a route which has good roads. I'm not expect GQ standards, but should be able to keep up reasonable speeds. I don't mind extra distance if the road is good.

2. Hotel with decent toilets on the route for breakfast and for lunch (return)

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Old 27th April 2013, 20:39   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav View Post
Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
One I can suggest is via Iritty/Taliparambha.

Bangalore-Mysore-Hunsur-Periyapatna-Siddapur-Amatti-Virajpet-Iritty-Taliparamba-Bekal.

Route Link

Most route conditions are similar to folks taking the route to Kannur. So most updates are available there.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...needed-73.html

(And its a pretty active thread with over 70 pages of updates and discussions)

On breaks:

Since you plan to start very early, I hope you would skip stopping on Mysore road. Hunsur bypass has Cafe Coorg, right at the start of the bypass. Somewhere between Hunsur and Periyapatna (about 20km from Cafe Coorg) you also have a Coffee Day. But beyond Virajpet I dont know of any break points.

You can also check with member @kala. He frequents those locations esp. around Taliparamaba (as per what I could gather from his posts)

The other route option is to go all the way up to Madikeri and take the Mangalore road to Sulya all the way up to Jalasoor. At Jalasoor divert to Cherkala and there on to Bekal. Mangalore road from Madikeri was closed for quite some time, but I think now its open. But I also read that beyond Madikeri the route is quite lonely. Do check on that aspect. (It would be scenic for sure!)

Last edited by ampere : 27th April 2013 at 20:53.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2013, 22:26   #15
Senior - BHPian

Why is no one trying the Madikeri-Bhagamandala-Panathur route to Bekal?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks