Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2019, 13:23   #121
BHPian

Re: Not helping Indian biker image in Bhutan - Indian biker climbs atop chorten in Bhutan, held

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Seems the chorten / stupa was under repair, and a carpenter provided a ladder to help the person climb it.

I always read up on local customs, traditions and "mores" - the unwritten rules of behaviour- while planning a visit. Hope a proper apology will get him out.
Yes, this sensitivity is all important.

I can understand if a non-Indian foreigner climbed the chorten. But surely the desi visitor would know enough of our shared culture to know that climbing atop religious or burial structures would be culturally taboo. Amazing too that no one asked him not to do it.
bevivek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2019, 13:46   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Not helping Indian biker image in Bhutan - Indian biker climbs atop chorten in Bhutan, held

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevivek View Post
But surely the desi visitor would know enough of our shared culture to know that climbing atop religious ..
The 'kalash' and the layout should have been enough indicators that it was a religious place. The carpenter can climb on top of it as an exception. But not general public.

Btw, Vivek, thanks for that - while I would not have stepped on a burial place, you have spelt it out for us.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2019, 14:08   #123
Team-BHP Support

Re: Are Indian tourists terrible? Or simply misunderstood?

Note from mod: Thread moved to existing thread
Old 18th October 2019, 14:33   #124
BHPian

Last week I happened to travel with my friend for short trip inside Germany. The friend is living in Germany for last 6 years with wife and are from well to do educated Gujarati family.

To my surprise, he has no problem in throwing garbage in the scenic location. He is just careless even after reminding him several times. He just said paper is disposable so it is no problem for nature. His wife was even worse than him, she just put plastic garbage out from car on the ground before getting into car. I felt I should slap her for this behavior.
sushantr5 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 18th October 2019, 15:31   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
Last week I happened to travel with my friend for short trip inside Germany. The friend is living in Germany for last 6 years with wife and are from well to do educated Gujarati family.

To my surprise, he has no problem in throwing garbage in the scenic location. He is just careless even after reminding him several times. He just said paper is disposable so it is no problem for nature. His wife was even worse than him, she just put plastic garbage out from car on the ground before getting into car. I felt I should slap her for this behavior.
And if a German pointed it out to them they'd have gone on how racists the natives are.
A neighbour of mine has returned from the US after being settled their with family for a few years, and they have been littering the whole place as if there was no tomorrow.
Sunil2307 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2019, 16:12   #126
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
His wife was even worse than him, she just put plastic garbage out from car on the ground before getting into car. I felt I should slap her for this behavior.
You should have set an example here, yes, they wouldn't have changed, but you should have done your bit. Papers I don't mind, but plastics, for sure...
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2019, 18:42   #127
BHPian

Unfortunately, social norms don't exist in India. Basic courtesy like waiting in line, holding the door open for others, being polite or considerate to others etc. have not really been inculcated. On many instances, I have found myself holding the door open for strangers, and rather than being met with a polite greeting, what I get is awkward stares. On flights, people do nothing to prevent their babies from screaming, or young children from disturbing other passengers. When we carry this discourteous behaviour to other countries with strict social norms, we end up spoiling our own country's image. As somebody already said, the worst breed of tourists are indians travelling in large groups.
Sanidhya mukund is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 18th October 2019, 22:26   #128
Senior - BHPian

My own experience in Etihad Airways when returning from SFO via Dubai in 2015, I am a light traveler, had kept my laptop bag inside the storage right above my seat. A couple both working for Infy sat in the front row, then the 3rd passenger a lady came in carrying at least 4 big bags. The guy who was sitting in the front row wanted to impress her, he got up and tried to rearrange the bags which were inside the storage. Then to make more space he removed my bag and put it somewhere else. I immediately asked him to stop, he started using foul language. I then called the flight attendants, she tried to convince me, the guy was still acting smart. I politely told the crew to face the consequences after landing in Bangalore. The guy carried on his bad mouthing. I later warned him after getting down at Bangalore, then his wife apologized and I moved on to pick my baggage.
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2019, 23:58   #129
BHPian

OT:
Though a little OT, I think it is the general lack of civic sense. Even in offices, we can see enough examples on a daily basis, eg:
- People cutting you across, when you are patiently waiting for other person to fill his water bottle in the pantry area
- Morons [same People promoted to morons] cutting you across/blocking your way while you wait your turn to swipe your card to enter the office premises
- *censored* [double promotion] blocking the entire stair way while climbing up/down as if they are doing a great favor to others - even when they know that there is/are people 'waiting' for them to move faster. I understand it is strenuous [i. e. climbing stairs] but you can do so by sticking to one side or at least by giving way to the person who is approaching you from behind.
somspaple is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2019, 11:38   #130
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
My own experience in Etihad Airways when returning from SFO via Dubai in 2015, I am a light traveler, had kept my laptop bag inside the storage right above my seat. A couple both working for Infy sat in the front row, then the 3rd passenger a lady came in carrying at least 4 big bags. .
Normally the "weight" police are waiting to tackle such folks. They normally take the bag off you, tag it and put it in the luggage hold. Even if your own single bag is heavy, they try and persuade you.
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2019, 11:47   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
My own experience in Etihad Airways when returning from SFO via Dubai in 2015, I am a light traveler,
Small correction, if you don't mind. Etihad doesn't land in Dubai, to my knowledge. It may be Emirates or the flight would have been via Abu Dhabi. Please correct me if I am wrong.
iamnarayang is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2019, 12:00   #132
BHPian

It is not education but common courtesy that is lacking in us Indians, we only care about us ( and maybe family) and “our” things ( car, house)

Japan they have a concept called “Mindfulness” which means not only that we care about ourselves but also be equally mindful of others and the environment.
SideView is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2019, 13:45   #133
Senior - BHPian

I won't blame only Indians in particular for their uncivil habits. I have found the Chinese to be equally raucous, Brits to be obnoxious and then Germans to be rowdy while travelling abroad. This is in no way absolving that biker for his ill-advised stunt. We have for so long abused our own historical monuments by carving out "I love you " messages. So why will we bother about other countries ?
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2019, 22:20   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnarayang View Post
Small correction, if you don't mind. Etihad doesn't land in Dubai, to my knowledge. It may be Emirates or the flight would have been via Abu Dhabi. Please correct me if I am wrong.
It was a typo, Abu Dhabi infact. I am not a frequent traveller on that route. I always fly via Hong Kong. It was a bad year for Etihad as they were blacklisted by many MNC's
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2019, 02:13   #135

An incident i'd like to share that happened with me 3 years ago while i was honeymooning in Bali. We had rented a self drive car from the hotel's contact itself. A brand new Toyota Avanza with barely a 1000 km on the odo. Treated it like we'd treat our own car. Like it was made of glass. On the third morning, while waiting at a signal, i felt a jerk and a loud crash. Turned around to find a potbellied "gora", clad only in his underpants and sunglasses, obviously inebriated, had crashed his scooter into our car tearing through the bumper and denting the rear door. I got out to make sure he was ok but the fellow just got up, stumbled his way to his scooter and zigzagged dangerously through the gathering crowd and disappeared before i could speak. I decided not to pursue the matter and spoil my holiday. Although it did cost me a handsome amount to cover the damages and one full day of my 6-day vacation lost. I sincerely wish that particular traffic cam footage had gone viral.

Now I may be going off topic here. But the hotel incident in Bali has been publicized badly enough. While we can rightly say that family deserved it and needs to be defamed so they learn a lesson, i cant help feel a little sorry for the others in the video. People who may not have been a part of the hoarding process, still were recipients of the negative publicity. The social stigma and finger-pointing can be downright traumatizing and no kid or teenager deserves to go through that for no fault of their own. Not everyone can be thick-skinned enough to take it in their stride.
S.Marine is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks