Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2019, 15:26   #1

Pune to Gandhinagar by road?

Hey Team BHPians,
Happy Independence day to all of you.
I am planning for road travel from Pune to Gandhinagar, Gujarat in my 2012 Ertiga ZDi. The car is in a mint condition, but I am worried about the road condition and the distance / the route that I should take.

Can any one advice if I should do this trip via road or look for alternate means of transport. And if you suggest the road mode, then can you advice on the route and any other important inputs for this travel.

As always, many many thanks for your expert recommendations.

Cheers!!
Old 15th August 2019, 22:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune to Gandhinagar by road?

Hi.

No problem, you can happily take-up the trip with your Ertiga.

The route:
Pune - Expressway - Turbhe - Airoli bridge - Thane - Ghodbunder - Manor - Wapi - Surat - Vadodara - Ahmedabad - Gandhinagar.

I will suggest you to continue on NH48 after Vadodara. The Vadodara - Ahmedabad expressway has just two lanes.

If you are travelling with family and kids, ask them if they are ok with sitting in the car for 11 hours or so. It might be tiring for them to sit for 11-12 hours in a car

Start early (5 am preferably) from Pune. This way you will cross Thane before traffic hours.

Do carry a valid insurance, PUC, license and RC card. Make sure that there is no film on the glasses, there is no bullbar or any other visible modification in the car. Wear seatbelt all the time (all the passengers but especially must for the driver and co-passanger).

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 15th August 2019 at 22:43.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th August 2019, 10:45   #3

Re: Pune to Gandhinagar by road?

Dear Rahul

Many thanks for the detailed recommendation.

One last question -- Does Gujarat rules allow for private vehicles to have luggage on a roof luggage rack.

Thanks
Soumen

Last edited by ampere : 18th August 2019 at 11:21.
Old 18th August 2019, 12:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumenbanerjee View Post
Dear Rahul

Many thanks for the detailed recommendation.

One last question -- Does Gujarat rules allow for private vehicles to have luggage on a roof luggage rack.

Thanks
Soumen
There is no objection in the Central Motor Vehicle Act to a luggage carrier on the top of a private car.

One citizen had reportedly raised a query to the "Commissioner of transport" in Gujarat asking if the luggage carriers on the top of a private car are illegal.

He was reportedly replied that "There is no prohibition in the Motor Vehicle Act, 1988, against installation of luggage carriers atop private four-wheelers to carry luggage of passengers of that vehicle. There is no requirement to take prior permission for installing the carrier either.”

Here is the link to the report:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.car...epartment/amp/

Please be aware that luggage placed above the roof has high centre of gravity and it alters the way a car handles. It alters the car's behavior especially at high speeds and at turns. Sudden and acute steering manoeuvers (made to avoid a pothole or a dog etc.) made instinctively out of surprise are dangerous with luggage on top.

So the luggage shall be carried on top only if it is unavoidable. In such case, drive slow, steady and with caution. Do not brake hard, maintain safe distance from the vehicle ahead, do not make sudden / jerky steering manoeuvers, do not attempt overtaking with high pick up.

Overhead luggage also increases the wind resistance and hence the fuel consumption.

On Mumbai Ahmedabad highway, this may increase your travel time by an hour or so. But it is better to be safe.

In case the police stops you for roof rack or for any other reason, be polite and courteous. Do not get scared at all. Police are doing their work and they are there to help the public.

Note:
You can give your extra luggage to a bus plying on Pune - Ahmedabad route. The buses start in the evening and reach next morning to Vishala or Paladi. You can then travel by your car without any luggage on the top and pick up your luggage in Ahmedabad. Most buses starts from Padmavati on Pune - Satara Road.

The bus operators will charge few hundred bucks but you will save that amount in your fuel bill and you will be safe.

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 18th August 2019 at 13:03.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2019, 13:44   #5
BHPian

I was stopped recently on the Delhi-Ambala route by Haryana cops for my roof rack. These guys were specifically targeting private vehicles with roof racks. The cop then says that I have to pay a fine of 8000 along with some illogical reasons and slowly it become apparent that its for a bribe. Was let go after paying 500. So better to remove it unless you want to get into an argument you cannot win.
tomraven99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2019, 15:17   #6
BHPian

I have roamed around the country with a roof luggage rack on my XUV 500. There is no restriction on these, and any cops stopping you for it are merely looking for quick money. DO NOT RELENT!! Be polite and courteous and ask them to show the clause of MV act which prohibits the use of luggage carrier racks.

As for the route, take the Eway till thane-Belapur road, take the exit right from Dahisar bridge signal, and continue on NH till u reach RTO chowk of Vadodara, after which keep left to enter the NE1.

Though as pointed out it is 2 lane, you can consistently keep good speeds and be at Gandhinagar exit in about 90 minutes with a break.

Thereafter a little traffic on SP ring road will take you to SP Ring Road Chowk, from where a right towards Gandhinagar is only 10-15 mins of drive.

Please fill up at Vadodara as there are only a few pumps on NE 1. And also, almost only a couple of eateries.

vehicles on NE 1 cut across from the outermost lanes, which is a big risk. Please avoid the urge to do so, and follow the rules, it can get a little frustrating at times, but then driving is an art of patience and thrill mixed and stirred with a sense of responsibility, especially if your family is travelling together with you.
SX4LOVER is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks