Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2014, 08:54   #46
BHPian

re: Mumbai to Surat : Route Queries

If you leave from Surat early in the morning (maybe 5/6 am, you may avoid the Bharuch snarls). Don't worry about the Kamrej thing if you are leaving early. Typically roads in Surat are quite empty in the early mornings. It's not a city which is into a rat race like Mumbai
Old 22nd February 2014, 22:29   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekz View Post
Hello guys. Had a query regarding the state of Mumbai Surat highway. I am planning to drive from Mumbai to Surat in March but unfortunately I will have to start in the evening say around 6PM from Ghodbunder Road.

How long shall it take given that I plan maintain a sedate top speed of 80kmph on an average? Any flyover cosntruction/ diversions to be wary of? Can I expect to make it in 5 hours?

Would really appreciate a reply.
Quote:
Thanks a lot.

Well the idea is to continue next morning from Surat and head towards Udaipur.

So the Bharuch snarl cannot be avoided. However, I am guessing taking the highway will be the better option. Still how much time would be lost there?

Also by when can I expect to cross Ahmedabad, say if I leave Surat by 7AM? Heard Udaipur is further 4-5 hrs from Ahmedabad .
Leaving at 6 pm from Bombay means facing heavy traffic on both WEH & Ghodbunder, so budget extra time to reach Ghodbunder.

Once clear of Ghodbunder, expect to take 5 hours to Surat bypass (possible also in 4). There will be heavy bus traffic ex-Bombay, but truck traffic will be minimal at that time.

In case you propose to stop for dinner, please add extra 1 hour to journey time.

In case you are going on to Udaipur, pointless to stay overnight in Surat which has no good hotels on the bypass, better idea to stay at either Navsari (15 minutes before Surat bypass) or Ankleswar (30 minutes beyond Surat bypass), both having good hotels either on the highway itself or within 3 kms of the NH8.

Ankleswar-Bharuch bypass is now OK, bridge is repaired & no traffic snarls.

From Ahmedabad, budget 4-5 hours for the drive to Udaipur.
Old 22nd February 2014, 22:59   #48
BHPian

[quote=hvkumar;3375844]Ankleswar-Bharuch bypass is now OK, bridge is repaired & no traffic snarls]

HVK Sir this is tremendous news. So now is it no longer necessary to take the road into Ankleshwar town and cross the Golden Bridge ? I will be travelling again to Vadodara in March and request your advice as usual.

Also, i have been reading on the forum that repair work is going on the Ghodbunder bridge leading to traffic jams. I will be leaving Pune around 6 a.m. so should be at Ghodbunder around 9.30-10.00 - will this be a good time to cross Ghodbunder ?

Also, is the flyover at the Kapurbawdi junction in Thane now complete and can we take it for proceeding towards Ghodbuder ?

Request your inputs please

Last edited by suniladhiya : 22nd February 2014 at 23:03.
Old 22nd February 2014, 23:03   #49
Senior - BHPian

[quote=suniladhiya;3375857]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Ankleswar-Bharuch bypass is now OK, bridge is repaired & no traffic snarls.quote]

HVK Sir this is tremendous news. So now is it no longer necessary to take the road into Ankleshwar town and cross the Golden Bridge ? I will be travelling again to Vadodara in March and request your advice as usual.

Also, i have been reading on the forum that repair work is going on the Ghodbunder bridge leading to traffic jams. I will be leaving Pune around 6 a.m. so should be at Ghodbunder around 9.30-10.00 - will this be a good time to cross Ghodbunder ?

Also, is the flyover at the Kapurbawdi junction in Thane now complete and can we take it for proceeding towards Ghodbuder ?

Request your inputs please
Ghodbunder junction on NH8 can be a problem around that time. Yet stick to that route since alternatives are even more worse.
Yes, the Kapurbawdi junction flyover is complete towards North side (Ghodbunder Road in Thane), but when returning, the south-bound direction is not over yet. Traffic jams have come down significantly even in pea hour and at 930 am you should have a smooth drive
Old 22nd February 2014, 23:08   #50
BHPian

[quote=hvkumar;3375860]
Quote:
Originally Posted by suniladhiya View Post

Ghodbunder junction on NH8 can be a problem around that time. Yet stick to that route since alternatives are even more worse.
Yes, the Kapurbawdi junction flyover is complete towards North side (Ghodbunder Road in Thane), but when returning, the south-bound direction is not over yet. Traffic jams have come down significantly even in pea hour and at 930 am you should have a smooth drive
Thank you sir, what about the Ankleshwar Bharuch section - can we safely take the bypass or should we still go into Ankleshwar town and take the Golden Bridge.

Thanks in advance
Old 22nd February 2014, 23:09   #51
Senior - BHPian

[quote=suniladhiya;3375865]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post

Thank you sir, what about the Ankleshwar Bharuch section - can we safely take the bypass or should we still go into Ankleshwar town and take the Golden Bridge.

Thanks in advance
Yes, traffic on NH8 bypass is smooth & there is no need to take the Golden Bridge any more.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 23:21   #52
BHPian

Thanks hvkumar, lapsi, drmohitg, kalpeshc for your suggestions.

The idea of a Surat halt was just to ease the travel next day to Udaipur which would allow my wife to enjoy the drive as well in a leisurely way. Otherwise I will be driving the entire route just to ensure we don't lose time, which can get boring for the passenger.

But as suggested, if Surat does not have good hotels near NH, I am open to suggestions for better places on NH8. All I need is a decent bed and breakfast.

Hope last moment project deliverables, client requests, etc. dont spoil the party.
Old 25th February 2014, 12:58   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Hello guys. Had a query regarding the state of Mumbai Surat highway. I am planning to drive from Mumbai to Surat in March but unfortunately I will have to start in the evening say around 6PM from Ghodbunder Road.
Hi Vivek, It may be little late to suggest this, nevertheless I would suggest leave little early say 5 pm if possible. Instead of Surat stop over in baroda for the night. Baroda - Ahmedabad expressway would be a great way to start the drive on the second day. As HVK sir mentioned Ahmedabad - Udaipur may take 4-5 hours.

Have a safe trip.
Old 19th July 2014, 09:59   #54
BHPian

Tomorrow my parents will travel from Ambarnath to Surat. They will start at 7.

Which would be the best route in present conditions?
At present they plan to take Kalyan Wada Manor route. How are the road conditions there and what would be the estimated travel time?
Old 30th January 2015, 17:57   #55

Dear Fellow BHPians,

I am planning to drive down this route, early next week (monday or tuesday). Will be driving with my wife.

I just wanted to know what time would be good time to start, early in morning or late afternoon - which will be easier to drive - traffic wise.

Also if I drive at 80 KmpH max, will I be able to cover the distance in 4.5 hours - considering current road conditions.

HVK Sir - Is the south bound section of Ghodbunder road now ready?

My earlier longest drive was mumbai-pune-mumbai on the expressway, so are there any precautions I need to take while driving on NH8.

Awaiting your replies.

Thank you!

Regards,
Shankar
Old 30th January 2015, 19:33   #56
BHPian

I faced a few traffic snarls early in the morning around 6:30/7 at the Hotel Fountain junction about a month back. I am not aware of the recent situation. The traffic is caused due to unmanned junction and people tend to ignore the signals (maybe). There are a couple of bypass under construction so you may face some minor traffic there. 4.5 hours is doable @ 80 kmph. In my multiple trips, I've found the least traffic during late afternoons, when all the truck drivers are taking a siesta and the roads are really empty.
Old 30th January 2015, 20:57   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shank.cool View Post
Dear Fellow BHPians,

I am planning to drive down this route, early next week (monday or tuesday). Will be driving with my wife.

I just wanted to know what time would be good time to start, early in morning or late afternoon - which will be easier to drive - traffic wise.

Also if I drive at 80 KmpH max, will I be able to cover the distance in 4.5 hours - considering current road conditions.

My earlier longest drive was mumbai-pune-mumbai on the expressway, so are there any precautions I need to take while driving on NH8.

Awaiting your replies.

Thank you!

Regards,
Shankar
Early morning is fine. There will be heavy truck traffic but limited number of miscellaneous traffic such as bikes & jaywalkers.

No, the south-bound flyover at Kapubawdi Junction in Thane at the end of Ghodbunder-Thane road is still incomplete. But the north-bound flyover is open and saves you the time lost in traffic snarls below
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2015, 14:42   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shank.cool View Post
Dear Fellow BHPians,

Awaiting your replies.

Thank you!

Regards,
Shankar
I travel Mumbai-Vapi every week and have done Vapi-Surat number of times, last one being two weeks back.
Once you are on NH8 at Ghodbunder, it's all smooth. There will be bit more traffic till Manor, then eases up till Vapi, again some more traffic due to narrower highway till say Valsad, then no problem again. The traffic sense in Gujarat is unfortunately not that good and one needs to overtake from the wrong lane at times. However the drive is easy and a pleasure. The highway is in top condition. Should easily reach in 5 hours. Enjoy your journey.
jesrani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2015, 10:18   #59
BHPian

A quick update,

Returned from a weekend drive to Bharuch. Had hired a Traveller. The traffic snarls at the Narmada bridge at Bharuch are quite still there. Got stuck in this mess for almost 3 hours. The traveller being a bigger vehicle, could not use the Golden bridge. A dirt road exists just below the highway starting from petrol pump after Hotel Hilton and Hotel Highway. Although this is on the other side (on the Bombay bound carriageway).

Regards
Dieseltuned
Old 8th December 2015, 15:33   #60
BHPian

Hello Friends,

Will be travelling to Surat on 10th Morning with wife and daughter (2yr old), stay is for 3 days.

Starting point is Kurla West around 6 am IST. what precautions do I need to take while driving on NH8 ?

Also will a yellow tape strip do on the right Headlight as required in Gujarat,can members also share what is the toll outgo for surat.

Need suggestions from members on Road conditions and a good hotel near the market for family.

HVK Sir- your guidance will be very helpful and appreciated.

Awaiting your replies.

Thank you & Best Regards,
Jimit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks