Old 8th December 2015, 15:47   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Mumbai to Surat : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_u View Post
Also will a yellow tape strip do on the right Headlight as required in Gujarat
Not anymore as the rule is relaxed

Quote:
can members also share what is the toll outgo for surat.
Should be between 250-300 Max for Khaniwade+Charoti+Bhagwada+Boirach

Quote:
Need suggestions from members on Road conditions and a good hotel near the market for family.
Lot of them all over starting from Ghodbunder itself but "Sugar & Spice" 40 kms before Navasari is a good option to stop. Has an assortment or restaurants and clean rest rooms along with BPCL refueling outlet as part of it.

Before this, Empress Mall at Vapi is also a good choice.

On Advice - Well, leave early to beat the traffic within Mumbai and pass small towns from Vapi till Surat with ease. Don't plan a start where you will end up driving Navasari-Surat between 8-10am as there is lot of local traffic all around even on the highway at this hour.

Road conditions remains good throughout.

(My updates are from my last travel to Rajkot in May this year)
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 17:13   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Not anymore as the rule is relaxed
Are you very sure about this rule being relaxed now ? one of my friend said they still ask for a yellow tape on the headlamps in Gujrat.

I want to know as i will be driving through to Rajasthan for christmas vacation. So need to be sure.
Old 8th December 2015, 17:16   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaileshHinge View Post
Are you very sure about this rule being relaxed now ? one of my friend said they still ask for a yellow tape on the headlamps in Gujrat.

I want to know as i will be driving through to Rajasthan for christmas vacation. So need to be sure.
You can refer this post (And the thread) for more info:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3711583

of course, the answer to your question is a firm YES. If they ask for a yellow tape, you have every right to point at the newspaper report.

Here is the translation of the news article that should help you:

Quote:
Due to the brightness emitted from the headlamps of Cars, drivers inside cars from the opposite direction would get blinded resulting in increase in the number of accidents.
To reduce the accident rate due to this Gujarat Govt had introduced compulsory Yellow Sticker and Black Dot rule on headlamps way back in 1989.A fine of Rs 200 for not abiding by this rule and almost 1 Lac offences would have made the RTOs wallet heavier than you imagined.
Around 2 Crores is what the RTO would make but off late newer cars are using latest technology for Automotive lighting making this rule illogical. As well, many cars started to come with Cap over the headlight bulbs. Hence the transport commissioner decided to get rid of this rule and effective March the rule is no longer in place

Last edited by paragsachania : 8th December 2015 at 17:18.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2015, 22:43   #64

Hi, I live in Ahmedabad, Gujarat and am gonna drive my car to pune , lonavala and khandala. Does my headlight need the yellow strip? A couple of people told me the rule is no longer in place. Is it OK to not have the yellow strip in Maharashtra? I am gonna travel on 22nd. Any other advice is most welcome such as local traffic cop behavior or offenses that they might try to book me under and extort money out of me etc are most welcome. Please help. I am a first time traveler in my self driven car from one state to another.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th December 2015 at 23:03. Reason: Please avoid typing... like... this... Thanks!
Old 19th December 2015, 23:02   #65
Team-BHP Support

The yellow sticker rule was never there in Maharashtra AFAIK. Gujarat has since abolished it so there's no need to worry about it now. Please ensure your PUC certificate, first aid kit and the other documents are in the car during the travel - cops in MH have a tendency to stop and check Gj registered cars. They'll let you pass if you show them the required documents and if you don't act smart.

And please avoid typing... like... this... on the forums.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2015, 23:03   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deveshshukla53 View Post
Hi.. I live in Ahmedabad, Gujarat and am gonna drive my car to pune , lonavala and khandala.. Do my headlight need the yellow strip? A couple of people told me the rule is no longer in place.. Is it OK to not have the yellow strip in Maharashtra? I am gonna travel on 22nd.. Any other advice is most welcome such as local traffic cop behavior or offenses that they might try to book me under and extort money out of me etc are most welcome.. Please help.. I am a first time traveler in my self driven car from one state to another..
The yellow strip rule was never applicable in Maharashtra but was there in place in Gujarat. However, I drove to Jodhpur from Pune last week, and crossed Gujarat both ways during peak traffic hours. I did not have the yellow strip, and did not face any problem what so ever.

If you are stopped by the cops, few things to take care of are -
1. Do not talk in English, use Hindi to converse.
2. Use "Sir" to address them.
3. Don't argue unnecessarily.

You should be just fine, enjoy the trip.

Last edited by Engine_Roars : 19th December 2015 at 23:11.
Engine_Roars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2015, 13:38   #67

Re: Mumbai to Surat : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
The yellow sticker rule was never there in Maharashtra AFAIK. Gujarat has since abolished it so there's no need to worry about it now. Please ensure your PUC certificate, first aid kit and the other documents are in the car during the travel - cops in MH have a tendency to stop and check Gj registered cars. They'll let you pass if you show them the required documents and if you don't act smart.

And please avoid typing... like... this... on the forums.
Apologies. I was on mobile and was engrossed with thoughts such as above and forgot the rule. I will take care in future! Moreover, my car is 2 months old and has a "This is a non-polluting vehicle" sticker on the frond windshield. Also, I have all the papers and RC card with me. Should I carry originals or photo copies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
The yellow strip rule was never applicable in Maharashtra but was there in place in Gujarat. However, I drove to Jodhpur from Pune last week, and crossed Gujarat both ways during peak traffic hours. I did not have the yellow strip, and did not face any problem what so ever.

If you are stopped by the cops, few things to take care of are -
1. Do not talk in English, use Hindi to converse.
2. Use "Sir" to address them.
3. Don't argue unnecessarily.

You should be just fine, enjoy the trip.
Thanks for the tips, Engine_Roars! I will talk in Hindi if stopped and will not act smart. Any other advice/points to keep in mind are most welcome. Thanks for all the help, guys!
Old 21st December 2015, 09:16   #68
BHPian

Carry all originals. Cops in MH have a tendency to ask for originals specially to GJ cars.
kalpeshc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2016, 17:36   #69
BHPian

Mumbai to Surat : Route Queries

Hello people, I'll be driving to Surat tomorrow morning from mumbai. This will be my first drive on this route.
Does anyone have recent reports / updates on the Mumbai Surat stretch? Need to be there before 11am. What time would be suitable for start, if leaving from Ghatkopar? And also usual tips please.
Old 10th January 2016, 01:58   #70
BHPian

Start your drive at 5am so you can drive at safe speed and enjoy the ride

PS: Before Manor, you can take break at Vithal Kamat hotel.

Last edited by DarkEraser : 10th January 2016 at 02:03.
DarkEraser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2016, 08:46   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lokesh View Post
Hello people, I'll be driving to Surat tomorrow morning from mumbai. This will be my first drive on this route.
Does anyone have recent reports / updates on the Mumbai Surat stretch? Need to be there before 11am. What time would be suitable for start, if leaving from Ghatkopar? And also usual tips please.
5 am would be a safe start. Even though it takes 4.5 hours for someone who's familiar with the arrow straight route, with a single 30 min break, 5-530 am would be a good time to start. Early morning you'd encounter no traffic at all till Hotel Fountain. From there, you may encounter some truck traffic but it should not bother you at all. Vithals Kamat, Shree Dutt and Ahura are good places for breakfast. You'd definitely encounter some traffic at Vapi/Valsad but that'd be it. Entry point to Surat can be Palsana or Kadodara. At Palsana, they've started a toll of INR 80 since the last 3 months.
kalpeshc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 16:35   #72
BHPian

Am planning to drive to Surat from Mumbai this weekend. The last time I drove this route was in 2012 when lot of the road sections were under development. Any idea what it is like now? How long would Dahisar to Surat take ?
Old 27th June 2019, 16:49   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Head View Post
Any idea what it is like now? How long would Dahisar to Surat take ?
From Dahisar, depending on the time you depart from here, budget 4 to 4.5 Hours at max, end to end.

Roads remain good except that Charoti flyover is shut down for repairwork for a week.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/69915784.cms

Last edited by paragsachania : 27th June 2019 at 16:51.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 17:09   #74
BHPian

Absolutely amazing roads. Except some traffic in Vapi and some closer to Surat (depending on which road you take for entering Surat), you'd find the drive to be peaceful and pleasant. Lots of good eateries along the road (you won't find anything bad, just avoid the ones where you see trucks parked).

Enjoy the drive.
kalpeshc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2023, 23:05   #75

Guys,

Has anyone who has done a leisure trip on the Mumbai Surat route suggest some good pit stops? Any thing that can be visited on the way?

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks