Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2013, 19:26   #601
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Best Roads In India ?

For me it is,

1) Bangalore - Hyderabad. Awesome stretch all the way till Hyderabad.

2) Salem - Kanyakumari. Once the 6 lane work finishes between Hosur - Krishnagiri, it will be a breeze from Bangalore to Kanyakumari except the Salem Bye pass.

3) I loved the bandipur forest route as well.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2013, 21:17   #602
Distinguished - BHPian

From those I have travelled,

1. Hosur - Salem - Coimbatore
2. Hosur - Salem - Dindigul
3. NICE road, Bangalore
4. L&T Byepass (Coimbatore - Walayar) for the life it has had (been tremendous from 2000 onwards - still can drive fast though the road surface smoothness has come down)
5. Angamaly - Perumbavur - Muvattupuzha stretch.
6. Belgaum - Bangalore stretch

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 30th January 2013 at 21:18.
Old 30th January 2013, 22:25   #603
BHPian

shouldn't the yamuna expressway be on this list? In my opinion, it definitely should be.
Old 31st January 2013, 00:49   #604
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
shouldn't the yamuna expressway be on this list? In my opinion, it definitely should be.
Guess that will be number 1 or 2 in the list (from the feedbacks I have heard / read).

One of my friend said the roads in Gujarat are undoubtedly the best in India today.
Old 31st January 2013, 21:59   #605
BHPian

Stretch between Manor and Vadodara and Vadodara - Ahmedabad Stretch
Old 5th February 2013, 22:10   #606
Senior - BHPian

Hyderabad ORR undoubtedly. MPEW, overrated and undermaintained IMHO.

Last edited by Buffetfan : 5th February 2013 at 22:12.
Buffetfan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2013, 00:57   #607
BHPian

My personal favorites:

For ride quality and speed, I loved the tindivanam to Pondicherry stretch, as it was a pleasant surprise when I ended on that route for the first time. Butter smooth surface is the best I've driven on, so far. At an odd hour, the traffic is minimal too. I could push my car to its indicated top speed on this stretch. However, the Yamuna expressway scores big time as a world class expressway. It's better than the route above as it's longer, does not encourage encroachments that would slowly take over the highway over time. I have a soft inclination to this road as it's a huge step up from the previous alternatives. I've heard that the Mumbai Pune expressway is good too, but I never got a chance to be on that route.

For scenery, high speed handling and fun driving - hubli-karwar-goa route. The road surfaces of this route is excellent; limited to its topography -being a hilly route may have a few small potholes, but none that cannot be dodged, even at night.

Last edited by carrerastrax : 6th February 2013 at 01:17.
Old 23rd April 2013, 13:02   #608
BHPian

Great Indian roads to drive

We all love driving, don't we?
For an excellent drive, below are some ingredients (it may vary):
1. Good Roads
2. Good Company
3. Good Music
4. Good Weather
5. Good Route
6. Good Scenery
7. A relaxing mind

The list is end-less.

Concentrating on point #1, there are several such good roads around the world which provides an excellent drive. Lot of them is shown in various TV programs like top gear etc.
I've never come across a list of good roads in India where we can enjoy our drive!

So here it goes.
Please add along with Location and pictures.

** Pictures are taken from different websites.
** Mods, Kindly move it to appropriate section

Lavasa
Preferred Time: During Monsoon

The Best Roads In India-2.jpg

The Best Roads In India-3.jpg

The Best Roads In India-4.jpg

Aamby Valley
Preferred Time: During Monsoon
Name:  3.png
Views: 3274
Size:  217.9 KB

The Best Roads In India-1.jpg

The Best Roads In India-4a.jpg
mikon is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2013, 13:32   #609
BHPian

Re: Great Indian roads to drive

Good topic.

Here is my list. Not in any order. Sorry, no photos.

1. Krishnagiri to Salem - 4 lane roads with relatively less traffic (as of today) and some good views of the sparse eastern ghats. Thoppur ghat section is an added bonus except for the truck traffic.
Best time - Winter time or early mornings.

2. NH 209 - Bangalore to Coimbatore - 2 lane roads with good surface quality. No traffic.

3. Mysore to Coorg.

4. Mysore to Kozhikode (Calicut) through Bandipur, Muthanga, Vythiri and Wayanad ghat.
Best time - Monsoon. Plan to cross Lakkidi around evening to "get stuck in heavy fog".

5. Munnar to Thekkady - dream drive. First section upto Santhanpara is through Tea plantations and the rest through coffee and cardamom plantations.

Disclaimer - Road quality in Kerala roads are not predictable. Even if it's good now, it may be broken after rains.
Old 23rd April 2013, 14:22   #610
BHPian

Re: Great Indian roads to drive

Few from my side:
  1. Arrey Warrey Road (Ratnagiri, Maharashtra): from Ganapatipule to Ratnagiri. The road is beautifully laid and sticks to the coastline, providing marvelous views of the Arabian ocean and clean and pristine beaches. I just wish I have a convertible coupe someday to drive on this beauty
    Preferred time would be Monsoon.
  2. Kumbharli Ghat (Ratnagiri, Maharashtra): again preferred during monsoon when the mist and fog envelopes the ghat and provides stunning view of the valley facing Chiplun.
  3. Kas Valley (Satara, Maharashtra): Green, colorful and peaceful drive. You will be spell bounded by the masterpiece of the Almighty, his riot of colors is at display. Mid of September to first week of October.
  4. White Rann (Gujarat): From Dhordo to White Rann during December/ January. The white desert on either side of you making you feel you are in some other planet and the vast emptiness of the surrounding making you realize you are a tiny speck in this universe.
Sorry, no photos as I am in office now. Shall post when I get time. There are many more, India is rich in natural beauty and we are privileged
A great thread indeed!
Old 23rd April 2013, 14:54   #611
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Best Roads In India

Will post one road at a time from my favorites list, to avoid a HUGE post

In no specific order, here's two from personal faves.

1. Kushalnagar - Madikeri : This was a pretty broken piece of road till a few years back, now its super smooth tarmac which is a lot of fun since the ghat's are not too technical and are pretty tame. But its a fast ghat, that's what adds to the "fun"

The Best Roads In India-img_8578.jpg

2. Bodi - Theni : On the route too Munnar if you take it from the Dindigul side. Its super smooth, super twisty tarmac. There are a few odd ball potholes at times with some patches of sand as well. But its all in the fun of doing this road. Check out the twisties ...

The Best Roads In India-img_5325.jpg

The Best Roads In India-img_5322.jpg
praful is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2013, 18:35   #612
Senior - BHPian

The best roads i have personally driven are Bangalore to Hyderabad, Tirupati to Vijayawada, Krishnagiri-Salem-Coimbatore, salem-Dindigul, etc. Overall love the Golden Quadrilateral highways network, though some parts are still unfinished.
Also love the scenic roads of parts of Kerala i remember while on my way to Guruvayur, twisties with beautiful nature all around.
Old 30th April 2013, 22:26   #613
v10
BHPian

Which Hill Station/Hilly/Mountainous region in India do you think has the best quality roads?
Old 1st May 2013, 10:55   #614
BHPian

Almost all responses here are talking about roads where the tarmac is good. I beg to differ. I think the best road in India is the Manali - Leh highway. Or even better the Spiti-Lahaul-Leh highway (aka the old Hindustan tibet route). This is the road that actually tests a driver/rider. The roads with Good quality tarmac - Pune - Belgaum, Bangalore - Hyd etc - are easy, just make sure one doesn't sleep of boredom.
Old 1st May 2013, 20:37   #615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ECR - Chennai - Pondy
Simply a visual treat having the beach on your side for 50 - 75kms of the 150odd Km journey
Visual treat - That is if you get the visuals, with the horrendous driving of the taxis and buses on this two laned road, this cannot be no longer termed as one of the best roads in India. At the best it can be a scenic drive, provided you get to watch the 'scene'.
getsurya is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed