Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2005, 15:50   #76
Senior - BHPian

Since this thread has come back...might as well post some roads which i found good enough.

Apart from mumbai-pune expressway, the NH17 and the road from lonavala to amby valley...21kms of road with fair share of twisties and straights...and almost totally void of traffic.

Drifter
Old 21st February 2005, 19:36   #77
ken

[quote=drifter]Apart from mumbai-pune expressway, the NH17 and the road from lonavala to amby valley...21kms of road with fair share of twisties and straights...and almost totally void of traffic./QUOTE]

I'm with you on that one Drifter... the Lonavala twisties are #1 on my list!! Palm Beach Road is another one of my favourite stretches...
Old 22nd February 2005, 09:34   #78

For my List of Good Roads (the roads i've been thru or heard). i wud go for ..

Mumbai - Pune
Jaipur - Delhi
L&T Coimbatore
NH 17
Chennai - Pondy (ECR)

And For Awsome Sceneries...

Allepey - Changnasherry (along the side of Backwaters)
Goa - Mangalore
Thekaddy - Munnar (all thru tea/cardamom estates)
Mandi - Manali

_rG.
Old 22nd February 2005, 14:30   #79
BHPian

Be careful on the Mumbai Pune Expressway these days. At some places - the first two lanes are under repair and only the last lane is functional. Be even more careful at night. I was a new Lancer that had gone right thru the closed part of the road and was totally damaged.

Vikram
Old 25th February 2005, 11:14   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_s
Be careful on the Mumbai Pune Expressway these days. At some places - the first two lanes are under repair and only the last lane is functional. Be even more careful at night. I was a new Lancer that had gone right thru the closed part of the road and was totally damaged.

Vikram

yeah guys ,
be careful on the expressway.
there a lot of maintainece work going on.

but guys,
my vote for the best road has changed.
at present i am in mangalore and it took me 2.5 hrs to do mumbai -pune at 3.45 am .but aftre that its an absolute blast.
just after the expressway ,the four laning on the katraj section is going on.
but aftre that the satara road,the karad -belgaum make u feel its not belgaum but it may be belgium .i did that 200kms stretch in abt 2hrs and 10 mins.i think this could be one of the best stretches ever.u can take those banked turns at 120+speeds.
after belgaum till dharwad also its OK.
the ankola road is in bad condition ,but still u can really enjoy it.even here i was taking turns at 100+.and after that wat do u say abt the NH17.its heaven!!!!

the total mumbai mangalore drive of 973kms took abt 15hrs.and this included abt 2.5 hrs of pit stops for pee,food and fuel.and the last 90kms from coondapur was a max of 80kph.
i got a superb FE of abt 17kpl till belgaum w/o ac and at 140max speed.
aftre belgaum the next 500kms was with full time ac and max of 120kph and i got abt 19kpl .

i hardly doubt any car will match the sort of performnace that my zen gave me.

but i have removed my k&n filter and fitted the stock filter back,and surprisingly my FE and pik up have improved,
so now i will be going for a stok replace ment k&n .

cheers,

satya
Old 25th February 2005, 12:44   #81
BHPian

Quote:
i did that 200kms stretch in abt 2hrs and 10 mins
Damn, that was fast!!! Never been to those roads..
Old 25th February 2005, 14:04   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
i hardly doubt any car will match the sort of performnace that my zen gave me.
speedy, u "hardly" doubt or u "really" doubt?? If its the latter, then get this. Last weekend i went to Coorg (3 adults). Bad road. Bad traffic. Kept dropping to 3rd to overtake. Chased the tail of a Sonata S20 also for a while, till the guy decided stop for a break. The traffic helped me keep up... hehe. Guess the mileage from Bangalore to Coorg. 260 kms in 14 ltrs! Mileage 18.6 kmpl! Return trip had same thing except ran on ac for last 100 kms (Mandya to Bangalore). Mileage 16.5 kmpl!

And... you know verrry well that my zen is a carb zen!
Old 25th February 2005, 14:14   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but aftre that the satara road,the karad -belgaum make u feel its not belgaum but it may be belgium .i did that 200kms stretch in abt 2hrs and 10 mins.i think this could be one of the best stretches ever.u can take those banked turns at 120+speeds.
Yeap! Shirwal to Satara stretch is driver's delight. It's fantastic, especially with Khambataki ghat section. From Karad to Kolhapur, the work is still not done, but I guess it is far better once you head to Belgaum. Did couple of trips on last two weekends and it was real fun to drive. What I like most, is that it's mostly tar road, unlike concrete road (read Express highway), and hence, no tyre noise. Feels as if you are gliding and not driving.
Old 1st March 2005, 12:45   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
. From Karad to Kolhapur, the work is still not done, but I guess it is far better once you head to Belgaum. .

hey RX,
which road are u talking about????after karad the road work is going on only for a few kms aftre which its pure bliss till belgaum.

and its tar on one side ,while its concrete on the other.
Old 1st March 2005, 12:58   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj
speedy, u "hardly" doubt or u "really" doubt?? If its the latter, then get this. Last weekend i went to Coorg (3 adults). Bad road. Bad traffic. Kept dropping to 3rd to overtake. Chased the tail of a Sonata S20 also for a while, till the guy decided stop for a break. The traffic helped me keep up... hehe. Guess the mileage from Bangalore to Coorg. 260 kms in 14 ltrs! Mileage 18.6 kmpl! Return trip had same thing except ran on ac for last 100 kms (Mandya to Bangalore). Mileage 16.5 kmpl!

And... you know verrry well that my zen is a carb zen!

i really doubt or i hardly doubt u have understood what i meant to say

thats superbb figures for ur carb zen.

and guys,
i just did a 260kms drive in a 2001 ikon 1.8 on the superb NH48 .its awesome .in fact every new road that i go to nowadays seems to be better than my previous favourite.

the ikon is a pathetic diesel car.such a pain to drive.but i got a superb FE 0f 23kpl at 80-100kph w/0 ac.it has 175/70r13 tires and has done 73k kms till date.
and afterwards when i drove my zen,it felt as if it had 2 engines as it just seemed to do a wheelie in each gear.
i think even the M800 can outdrag the ikon D.
Old 1st March 2005, 14:02   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hey RX,
which road are u talking about????after karad the road work is going on only for a few kms aftre which its pure bliss till belgaum.

and its tar on one side ,while its concrete on the other.
From Karad to Kolhapur. I travelled around 15 days back and it was still not 4 lane. They have completed 2 lanes and are still working on other 2 lanes. I guess, after Kolhapur, it is all 4 lane road till Belgaum.
Old 1st March 2005, 14:26   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
in fact every new road that i go to nowadays seems to be better than my previous favourite.
Please come to Bannerghatta road!!
Old 2nd March 2005, 11:50   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj
Please come to Bannerghatta road!!
where the f@## is this road.tell me the NH number ,and also tell me how far is it from mnagalore ,only then will i decide whether it is to be conquered .

for all those mangalore express bus driver fans, i have just retruned from mangalore-udipi -mangalore bus ride in one of these buses .this particular bus was leyland bus ,but had a body which was similar to the Volvo.i was stunned at the way these drivers flick these huge buses on those smooth roads,they do 60kms in about 55 minutes including all tyhe stops.that an avg speed of 60+kph which is pretty fast for any vehicle.

hahahhah almost everyone except me,the driver and the conductor ,was so frightened that there so much silence in the bus.

actually even i had my ***** in my mouth on a few occasions ,but there's not much u can do about it once u enter these missiles.
Old 2nd March 2005, 16:22   #89
BHPian

Has anyone tried the road from Calicut to Bangalore.It used to be an enthusiats wet dream.It still is,except for the fact that the four-lane work on the Mysore-Bangalore sector has spoiled things.Well!Can't wait for the work to be over,it hasn't has it?It's been a while since I drove right upto B'lore.But the twisty tarmac snaking it's way through rural Calicut and Wayanad is just delicious.The L&T's good,but I don't see much fun in driving flat out on straight highways.Can't comment on the Mumbai-Pune expressway,because I have'nt been on it!!
Old 2nd March 2005, 19:29   #90
Senior - BHPian

bannerghatta road only to be attempted using jet-engined hummer h1 or twin-hemi engined jeep hurricane concept. road leads to enlightenment (iimb) or salvation (you're DEAD!)

cheers

viper

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks