Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2005, 19:56   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloneljasi
Has anyone tried the road from Calicut to Bangalore.It used to be an enthusiats wet dream.It still is,except for the fact that the four-lane work on the Mysore-Bangalore sector has spoiled things.
I have, and the road is still a wet dream from Kalpetta to Mysore. Beyond Mysore, the less said the better. I took that route last month, and it was about 3 hours from Calicut to Mysore, and another 3 hours from there to Bangalore!

I hear a lot of you suggesting NH17 - I made a couple of memorable trips on that road from Cochin to Mumbai and I enjoyed the Kundapur - Karwar stretch on that road a lot more than the Goa - Mumbai section. The new Karwar road is phenomenal, but Mumbai - Pune is pretty boring as everyone else seems to agree.

Other than that, there is a beautiful and very steep route from Mysore to Ooty via Masinagudi, which goes through the Mudumalai and Bandipur wildlife sanctuaries. Take that road in the evening and the twilight drive through the sanctuary is to die for! For desserts you have the 18 hairpin bends on the 8 km stretch from Masinagudi to Ooty.............

Finally there's the Old Madras Road between Bangalore and Chittoor (AP) - very little traffic, nice sweeping turns and excellent surface. You'll have radiocity for company till the border, which was great on the Sunday morning that I drove down.

Cheers

Steeroid
Old 14th March 2005, 21:21   #92
BHPian

Blasting down an Expressway Tunnel in a palio. If you've got a bike or a car which makes music at high rpms, these tunnels will put a big smile on your face.
Old 15th March 2005, 12:11   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by topend_hooligan
[
Blasting down an Expressway Tunnel in a palio. If you've got a bike or a car which makes music at high rpms, these tunnels will put a big smile on your face.

i always do these tunnels,the one on katraj and khambatki at 4000-5000rpm.its pure music.

and yeah the cundapur -ankola-karwar is very good.infact on par with the NH63 .try the nh48 for a wetter dream.
Old 15th March 2005, 21:47   #94
Senior - BHPian

I was comming home from Pune one day and saw two Volvos ( a Neeta and a Khonduskar) racing through the tunnel. We were doing 100+ and they passed us like we were standing still. then they zoomed through the tunnel. Magnificent site I must say. It was really like music
Old 16th March 2005, 13:37   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak
I was comming home from Pune one day and saw two Volvos ( a Neeta and a Khonduskar) racing through the tunnel. We were doing 100+ and they passed us like we were standing still. then they zoomed through the tunnel. Magnificent site I must say. It was really like music

hey khanak ,

ur car seems to have a bigggg speedo error.the volvo bus has a top speed of 110kph.
so if u do 100+ then they cannot zoom past u
Old 16th March 2005, 15:10   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
the volvo bus has a top speed of 110kph.
You sure about that? I remember sitting in one of our KSRTC volvos a couple of years ago, right behind the driver. He was doing 80 kmph and the rpm showed the engine lounging around at 1500 rpm - looked like there was plenty left in that engine....
Old 16th March 2005, 15:57   #97
Senior - BHPian

Im not too sure bout it but im pretty sure that the volvos go faster than 100. ..
Old 16th March 2005, 16:30   #98
Senior - BHPian

I guess the volvo's run out at 2000 RPM !

correct me if im wrong ! but when i travelled to blore - the max the speedo showed was 120 kmph and the buses could rev upto 2000 RPM ....just a teeny weeny bit more than that !
anyone throw light on this ?
Old 16th March 2005, 19:03   #99
Senior - BHPian

the top speed of the volvo bus in india at present is 110 kph .maybe the speedo will show 120kph.
Old 16th March 2005, 19:13   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
I guess the volvo's run out at 2000 RPM !

correct me if im wrong ! but when i travelled to blore - the max the speedo showed was 120 kmph and the buses could rev upto 2000 RPM ....just a teeny weeny bit more than that !
anyone throw light on this ?
Yup..... Volvos revv upto a max of around 2000rpm... and top speed is around 110-120kmph or so.
Old 16th March 2005, 20:41   #101
Senior - BHPian

110 kmph top speed
Do you think the 60 Lakh price tag is worth it then?
sure it is more comfortable than the regular coaches but i think the ride is more or less the same as compared to the air suspension buses built by other coach builders. Also Volvo provides the chassis and Azad coach builders builds on it. Ruby coaches have made a duplicate volvo called indian volvo or volgo and honestly from outside they look more or less the same.

Last edited by khanak : 16th March 2005 at 20:52.
Old 16th March 2005, 21:16   #102
Senior - BHPian

the Volgo may look same ,but it sukkks.just look at the body .
in a volvo even the driver is comfortable .the volgo takes about 20 hours to do 1000kms while the Volvo takes about 15-16 hours to do the same distance.
even safety wise the volvo is miles ahead.reagrding comfort,ur mistaken.the Ruby coaches sukkkkkkk.
u just can go on and on comparing the Volvo and its duplicate,and u wont find a single point in favour of the Ruby

DOnt you think that this the best roads thread.and not a volvo bus .....

and at present 110kph is more than enough on our highways for a 12 meter bus.
Old 16th March 2005, 22:14   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak
110 kmph top speed
Do you think the 60 Lakh price tag is worth it then?
]

maybe this link can help you solve your doubts
http://www.volvo.com/bus/global/en-g...h+in+India.htm
Old 16th March 2005, 22:40   #104
Team-BHP Support

Hey, hey, hey, let's not go off topic here. This thread is about the best roads in India, not the top speeds of buses.
Let's get back on track, shall we?
Old 16th March 2005, 23:09   #105
Senior - BHPian

Sorry bout that.Thanks a lot S.Satya that was real helpful.
Another real scenic road is on the way to mangalore from mumbai where its a coastal area and your travelling with the sea on one side and backwaters on the other. Harrie who is from Mangalore might be able to tell me what road that was.

Most Viewed