Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2009, 16:30   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep joshi View Post
High beam is nessary on singlw lane or multi lane due to following reasons
1.Most of the tractors trollys and also some trucks had NO tail lamps so
they are not visibal on low beam. My brother has a major accidant when he hit a tractor trolly from back since he was on low beam and tractor has no tail lamps
2.Cycles , people who are walking , animals and most important two wheelers with NO tail lamps are not visibals on low beam

so its better to have high beam because i have observed many vechils with NO tail lamps.
Sandeep you can use the high beam until the vehicle from opposite direction is not asking you to dim the lights.
Old 18th February 2009, 20:46   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Sandeep you can use the high beam until the vehicle from opposite direction is not asking you to dim the lights.
Even if the oncoming vehicle does NOT dip its HL, dip your own. Pull over and stop if necessary. One blinded driver driving defensively is a far safer alternative to two blinded drivers trying to outdo each other.

In the end, it's your life...
Old 18th February 2009, 21:20   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Even if the oncoming vehicle does NOT dip its HL, dip your own. Pull over and stop if necessary. One blinded driver driving defensively is a far safer alternative to two blinded drivers trying to outdo each other.

In the end, it's your life...
Mr.Traveller If you cannot see the road in front of you while driving then also you would dim your light and go.

It is not practical to stop and drive on the highway every few metres, as on highways there is regular movement of vehicles.
Old 18th February 2009, 22:14   #49
BHPian

I like using my Poloroid anti-glare sunglasses at night. They are pretty darn good. I am yet to come across any headlights that have hurt my eyes, through these glasses.

I guess more important is to understand the fact that driving between 12 am to 5 am is risky, due to the fact that there could be lots of drunk/sleepy drivers around you. So always expect the unexpected. Keep safe distances between vehicles.
Old 18th February 2009, 22:22   #50
Senior - BHPian

ak916, can you post your experience in detail with these glasses, price and model?
Old 18th February 2009, 22:32   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
If you cannot see the road in front of you while driving then also you would dim your light and go.

It is not practical to stop and drive on the highway every few metres, as on highways there is regular movement of vehicles.
Dipped beams also give you enough light to drive at decent speeds. Earlier in this thread I had given tips about how not to get blinded by oncoming high beams. It is hardly necessary to stop every few metres on single-lane highways. With practice and some experience, driving on dipped beams is a cakewalk.

However, at no cost should one attempt to blind/dazzle/otherwise put into bad humour, someone at the controls of a vehicle 10x to 50x one's own vehicle's size; especially if that someone could also be inebriated.

Like ak916, use Polaroid sun-glasses at night (thanks for the suggestion - works well for people who don't need glasses - I haven't found someone yet, who'd make me Polaroid specs with power). Work brilliantly. That way the oncoming high beams don't blind you, and you see the road ahead MUCH clearer EVEN on dipped beams.
Old 19th February 2009, 00:17   #52
Senior - BHPian

experience helps.I know of few neighbours ,who really hates night driving.but with experience as the teacher ,can drive fine.when it comes to pothole filled highways with traffic ,you can't drive/ride looking at the left side every time a highbeam(constantly) falls on your eyes.
I would like to hear what the enthusiasts here would like to say?
Old 19th February 2009, 00:32   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
ak916, can you post your experience in detail with these glasses, price and model?
PolaroidEyewear.com

Phamilyman, I have two pairs of polaroid anti-glares. I cant seem to find the link to the other pair, maybe they are phased out. I bought both of them about 2 years ago. The other pair is my preferred night-time eye wear. There is one apparent negative. If your windows are heavily tinted, turning in the night will be little problem. You can work around it, like lower your window, look over your glasses... no biggie!

Other than that, you can pretty much wear it while driving on dark roads, with the OE headlights. Your view will be a tad brighter though if you take the glasses off. If you have brighter headlights than OE, then you will never have to take it off at night. It takes some getting used to, particularly if you are driving at night with your windows down, and people at the signal look at you. They think you kinda lost your mind. Doesnt bother me, since I largely agree with their them

Its great on the highway and I would never leave home without them. To know if they are anti-glare glasses, the retailer usually make you look at some hologram kind of thing. If you see patterns on the object, then it is anti-glare.

I got them at shoppers stop for about 2,500 Rs a pair. I highly recommend them. They are great for your eyes too. I used to have Rayban, which was 2-3 times costlier, but dare I say - Polaroids are ... umm.. better and easier on your eyes.

Last edited by ak916 : 19th February 2009 at 00:34.
Old 19th February 2009, 01:54   #54
Senior - BHPian

^sadly that's not an option for those who use lens(shortsight especially) already :( photo chromatic is what I know.
Old 19th February 2009, 02:12   #55
BHPian

You can get power glasses with Anti glare coating plus polarization too. I got mine a few days back and it works well - however, yet to get into a situation with bright headlights. Look for branded glasses and you should be able to get all these extra features.
Old 19th February 2009, 08:45   #56
Team-BHP Support

sunglasses have a rating inscribed on them
It ranges from category 1 to 5.
With one being the least darkness to 5 being very dark.

Category 1 is best suited for night driving. However its a little difficult to find.
Category 3 is the most popular level.
Old 20th February 2009, 22:06   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I haven't found someone yet, who'd make me Polaroid specs with power...
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
You can get power glasses with Anti glare coating plus polarization too
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
sadly that's not an option for those who use lens(shortsight especially) already :( photo chromatic is what I know.
@ deep_bang: are you quite sure yo have POLARISED lenses with power + antiglare coating? Would you be so kind as to let me know the brand?

@deepclutch: Unfortunately photochomatics (even the newest gen Transitions) don't work too well - in fact they make matters worse by darkening up when exposed to a bright light from an oncoming vehicle. I am more comfortable driving at night with clear lenses with antiglare coating, and power-lensed sunglasses on very sunny days.
Old 21st February 2009, 00:48   #58
BHPian

Quote:
@ deep_bang: are you quite sure yo have POLARISED lenses with power + antiglare coating? Would you be so kind as to let me know the brand?
SS-Traveller - I need to check if my lenses are indeed polarised. I could not find anything mentioned about polarization in the receipt i got except the brand. The brand i got was Essilor and it looks like it is available with polarization like in the link below:
Have a look at Essilor

Can someone confim if you look at a laptop screen with polarized glasses and turn it 90 degrees, does it dim the display? I vaguely recall this happened on my clip-ons and if true this may be a confirmed test for polarization.

Another possibility for spectacles wearers is to buy a clip-on which is polarized - although this is not a solution for night driving.

EDIT: I called my eye care provider and they told me that you can get polarization with power lenses but they would be dark lenses like a sunglass. So, what i have is clear lens - not polarized. Sorry if I misled anyone.

Last edited by deep_bang : 21st February 2009 at 00:55.
Old 21st February 2009, 03:30   #59
BHPian

Front windshield anti-glare film: an alternative.

I have been using clear V-Kool on my front windshield for the past 10 years. It had just been launched then. In those days it cost about Rs. 17,000/- for all sides of my Esteem. I also have it on my other Esteem for the last 5 years.

Among it's many advantages is it's anti-glare function at night. No headlight blinds you. Try it.
Now it should cost around 5,000/- for an average sized windscreen. You can go for economy film on the sides. You can also try Llumar.

It is also relatively scratch-proof. But to stay on the safe side, I only use artificial chamois cloth to clean it from inside.

Just insist that it should be in one piece on the front windshield. Perfect fitting is done with heat guns. Also insist that there are no wrinkles/ air bubbles trapped any where
Old 21st July 2009, 22:03   #60
BHPian

One thing that my wife told me is ( I am not sure how she came to know about this), in case you are blinded by an oncoming vehicle,bring the eyelids almost near to being fully closed. It will be like peeping through the eyelids. That way, you can reduce the blinding effect and that way see the road ahead. It works for me at times.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks