Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2014, 12:44   #1516
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipinendran View Post
You could try branching of from sriperambadur via mudichur road to tambaram as discussed in this thread many times. You could then take the GST road to t.nagar, branching off at Katipara, via Ashok Pillar or via Anna salai, depending on which place in T.Nagar you want to go. I am sure you could save 20 to 30 min.
I doubt if Sriperumbudur-Tambaram-Kathipara will save 30 minutes when compared to Sriperumbudur-Poonamallee-Kathipara. Maybe if you detour off NH4 at Kanchipuram there is some time saving to be had for going via Tambaram.
Old 7th March 2014, 13:11   #1517
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I doubt if Sriperumbudur-Tambaram-Kathipara will save 30 minutes when compared to Sriperumbudur-Poonamallee-Kathipara. Maybe if you detour off NH4 at Kanchipuram there is some time saving to be had for going via Tambaram.
+1.

- That detour should only help based on the time of the day.
- Thats what I was asking some time back.
- It seems evening traffic (6-8PM on a weekday) on Sriperumbudur-Porur road - Kathipara is pathetic.
- Is that what you have observed too? Does the diversion help then?
Old 7th March 2014, 14:29   #1518
BHPian

Quote:
Have done this many times in the last one year when coming from Yelagiri / ambur to chennai and it has saved me even 40 min at times
Old 7th March 2014, 21:49   #1519
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Have done this many times in the last one year when coming from Yelagiri / ambur to chennai and it has saved me even 40 min at times
You mean all the way back to Kathipara from Tambaram and you still save time !
That says a lot. What time of the day you were on this stretch?

I understand, you have done the stretch umpteen times. But just wanted know a trend when you saved most and what time of the day it was.
Old 8th March 2014, 10:47   #1520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You mean all the way back to Kathipara from Tambaram and you still save time !
That says a lot. What time of the day you were on this stretch?
Sometimes early morning at 6.30, or the peak at 6.30 in the evening, depends on my work and maybe a few times around 11pm at night. Well my understanding is GST road from Tambaram to meenambakam is fine except a bottlleneck near tambaram bus stand which you can avoid when coming from mudichur road by entering the GST road after the bus stand. Then, yes their is a botlleneck near pallavaram and after which it is quite ok till kathipara junction. Also I feel the traffic is much more orderly when compared to what you encounter in and around ponamalee. The road is also well lit and in good condition inspite of the metro work, ( It being a VIP route ) Hence from a driver's point of view it is less stressful especially after you have done a 150 to 200km strech at around 90 to 110km/hr. From Kathipara to Udayam theatre is also fine now ( metro work over ) and from their you can take many routes depending on which part of TNagar you want to go.
Old 8th March 2014, 11:44   #1521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I see from Google Maps that the distances are comparable (~35 km). I usually do Sriperumbudur-Kathipara in approximately 60-90 minutes, so I must say I have to take this "40 minutes saved" claim with a pinch of salt.
Old 8th March 2014, 12:16   #1522
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sometimes early morning at 6.30, or the peak at 6.30 in the evening, depends on my work and maybe a few times around 11pm at night. Well my understanding is GST road from Tambaram to meenambakam is fine except a bottlleneck near tambaram bus stand which you can avoid when coming from mudichur road by entering the GST road after the bus stand.
Quote:
I see from Google Maps that the distances are comparable (~35 km). I usually do Sriperumbudur-Kathipara in approximately 60-90 minutes, so I must say I have to take this "40 minutes saved" claim with a pinch of salt.
Guys, my only question to both of you:

- On a weekday/weekend evening (I mean like Thr/Fri) does it make sense to take Poonamallee? (say 6/8PM)
- If not; then Oragdam or Manimangalam?
- I understand Oragadam gives 4-lane for some part. But as per @vipinendran if it takes you right to the Tambaram bus stand, then is Manimangalam better?
- You can use Gandhi road to join GST beyond Tambaram
- Intention is to take the Pallavaram road and not Kathipara.

Last edited by ampere : 8th March 2014 at 12:23.
Old 8th March 2014, 12:43   #1523
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, my only question to both of you:

- On a weekday/weekend evening (I mean like Thr/Fri) does it make sense to take Poonamallee? (say 6/8PM)
No, It does not make sense, Poonamallee can be a nightmare on these days
Quote:
- If not; then Oragdam or Manimangalam?
I would prefer Manimangalam
Quote:
- I understand Oragadam gives 4-lane for some part. But as per @vipinendran if it takes you right to the Tambaram bus stand, then is Manimangalam better?
I would take Manimangalam
Quote:
- You can use Gandhi road to join GST beyond Tambaram
Yes
Quote:
- Intention is to take the Pallavaram road and not Kathipara.
Not advisable to take the pallavaram road as the road condition is poor.
vipinendran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2014, 13:05   #1524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On a weekday/weekend evening (I mean like Thr/Fri) does it make sense to take Poonamallee? (say 6/8PM)
The times I mentioned are on Thursdays and Fridays. Off late, I have been starting from Bangalore at 3 PM on Thu/Fri and arriving at home in Chennai (Kottivakkam) at around 9 PM. I reach Poonamallee at around 8 PM (all times give or take 15 minutes).

As I have mentioned elsewhere in this thread, Poonamallee-St. Thomas Mount is now a breeze thanks to the extra-wide road through Porur. The only (short) bottleneck is at St. Thomas Mount itself which shouldn't delay one for more than a few minutes.

My most recent trip has been on Thursday 13/2.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2014, 14:09   #1525
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Not advisable to take the pallavaram road as the road condition is poor.
Quote:
My most recent trip has been on Thursday 13/2.
Thanks guys. Still contrasting views ! .
But thats the beauty of this place. Each opinion has its own weight.

- Even I have done Porur road umpteen times. But I have never been there during the peak traffic hour on Porur road Poonamallee. Because mostly I drive on weekends.
- Some time I was thinking of driving on a weakday evening such that I land up on Porur bang-on at 6/6:30 PM. Hence all the doubts.
- As against, I was also interested to try the alternative routes. (Thats fun, but surely not the prime reason).
- Both traffic sense and density on the Kanchi-Sriperumbudur-Poonamalle have been way over the roof. Hence was wondering, would I end up with a peaceful drive, in spite of the same distance and drive times if I try alternative routes.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2014, 09:40   #1526
BHPian

Ampere - The best option for you is to take the Poonamalle bypass road and then connect to St.Thomas Mount and Kathipara junction. Once you reach Kathipara junction you could take left or right or connect to Guindy based on wherever your final destination this. This would be a safe route to go to places such as T.Nagar or Adyar or even Velachery. I would suggest the Orgadam route if you only people want to bypass Chennai as a whole and connect to Chengelpet!. If your destination is on the Arcot road then you take a left at Porur signal. Otherwise to reach other destinations, which are in South, Central or East Chennai, Poonamalle bypass - Kathipara junction route would be a safe option. Of course there will be traffic, during peak hours, but tell me where we don't have traffic in the gateways to our Metros :-).
searacer932 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2014, 07:38   #1527
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
Ampere - The best option for you is to take the Poonamalle bypass road and then connect to St.Thomas Mount and Kathipara junction. Once you reach Kathipara junction you could take left or right or connect to Guindy based on wherever your final destination this.
Thanks. Thats what I do all the time. But off late have been getting really frustarated post Kanchi, esp from Sriperumubudur-Poonamallee. Bad roads and equally bad traffic. Hence was wondering if Manimangalam/Oragdam makes sense. Because I also felt GST should at least have smoother city traffic flow till Kathipara compared to Porur road. And more tha Porur road, I would be able to avoid busy till NH4 till Poonamalle. But the question was is it worth traversing interior roads in the hours of fading light.

Meanwhile @binand says, Porur road has also been expanded in width and is now much easier to drive. Thats what is making me think if I still should stick to the time and tested route.

Last edited by ampere : 10th March 2014 at 07:41.
Old 10th March 2014, 08:39   #1528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But off late have been getting really frustarated post Kanchi, esp from Sriperumubudur-Poonamallee. Bad roads and equally bad traffic.
See: Sriperumbudur (toll) to Poonamallee is only 15 km which you probably will cover in 20 minutes. The problem area in my opinion is Kanchipuram-Sriperumbudur, which is not helped in any way by going off NH4 at Sriperumbudur. Hence my point that if you are planning an approach to the city via Tambaram, you ought to deviate from NH4 at Kanchipuram itself.

On the other hand, my ultimate destination in the city is in the south (Kottivakkam on ECR or Kelambakkam on OMR). For me it makes sense to take the Vandalur route during day time (but not at nights).
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2014, 18:48   #1529
J.Ravi

Yesterday, I did Chennai-Bangalore trip. I found a new eatery Murugan Idli Shop near Kaveripakkam, a few km before Chennasamudram toll plaza on the LHS of NH 4. But, this outlet is not yet listed in their website. I don't know, whether it is genuine one or fake.
  (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2014, 21:58   #1530
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Yesterday, I did Chennai-Bangalore trip. I found a new eatery Murugan Idli Shop near Kaveripakkam, a few km before Chennasamudram toll plaza on the LHS of NH 4. But, this outlet is not yet listed in their website. I don't know, whether it is genuine one or fake.
+1
True, i too noticed it and from outside, it seems to be the original chain from Madurai folks. Will be a good break option in both the ways !
I assume their website is not yet updated

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed