Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2014, 16:04   #1636
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

I am driving to Chennai tomorrow morning. Planning to leave Bangalore around 5:30 a.m. Hope that's not too late a time to start.

I am leaving from Malleswaram. I have not driven BLR-MAA in over 35 years - hell, I have not driven in India for over 20 years. I know there are two routes - Hosur/Krishnagiri and Chittoor.

My question to all of you here is: Which route would be better to take in terms of better roads and quicker transit time?

Also, has anyone attempted to do this with an iPhone5-based GPS - wither google maps or Waze or ...? Is the mobile network decent enough to be able to handle online maps consistently?

Cheers
Old 7th June 2014, 18:36   #1637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Which route would be better to take in terms of better roads and quicker transit time?
  • Not much difference in time although the Chittoor route is some 20 kms shorter
  • The Hosur / Krishnagiri route is dual carriageway all the way through. The Chittoor route has some 125 kms of singe carriageway between Mulbagal and Walajahpet. For that reason, since you are driving in India after a long time, the Krishnagiri route may be better
  • Both routes converge near Walajahpet The road is patchy and bumpy from thereon through to Chennai, but no major issue.
  • Depending on where in Chennai you want to go to, there are choices from Sriperumbudur onwards , although you could still do the straight road and arrive ! - see earlier posts on this thread for options.
5.30 start is OK, but obviously the earlier the better !

You really don't need a GPS other than to negotiate inside either Bangalore or Chennai - else its just a straight road and signposted. Inside both cities mobile connectivity and GPS using google maps is not an issue.
Old 7th June 2014, 20:25   #1638
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am leaving from Malleswaram. I have not driven BLR-MAA in over 35 years - hell, I have not driven in India for over 20 years. I know there are two routes - Hosur/Krishnagiri and Chittoor.
There will be some moments for reality check. But dont worry its fun! If not, we won't exist as a forum; would we?

Quote:
My question to all of you here is: Which route would be better to take in terms of better roads and quicker transit time?
Take the Hosur/Krishnagiri/Vellore road.

Quote:
Also, has anyone attempted to do this with an iPhone5-based GPS - wither google maps or Waze or ...? Is the mobile network decent enough to be able to handle online maps consistently?
Many people use it now a days. But you will need to keep it powered all the time.
Old 7th June 2014, 23:14   #1639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No second thoughts. Stick to GQ
Old 28th June 2014, 11:51   #1640
Senior - BHPian

Hi all

I had been to Chennai for my visa interview on Friday. For the onward journey, took the KSRTC AIRAVAT BLISS multi axle. The bus left Shantinagar bus depot at 5:05 PM. There was heavy traffic jam near bommanahalli junction. By the time the bus reached Kamat upachar near Shoolagiri, it was 7 PM.
The bus was driven so slow that I was aghast seeing lorries overtake the Volvo. I noticed hammers in place close to emergency exit windows. Post Baluchetty Chatram, the road is awful to say the least. I could feel the rumblings even in a multiaxle The bus was caught in a massive traffic jam close to Maduravoyal on the account of lorry break down.
Finally the bus reached Koyembedu at 1 AM.
For the return journey, I took SHAMA SARDAR MULTI AXLE VOLVO.I boarded the bus at Egmore at 3:40 PM. The bus reached koyembedu close to 5 PM. Waited for about 40 minutes for the passengers to board the bus. Unlike the KSRTC multi axle, this one was driven fast but not rash.
I too noticed the presence of hammers close to emergency exit windows. Un like the onward stretch from Baluchetty Chatram to Chennai, the road from Chennai to Baluchetty Chatram is far better.
The bus reached Bommanahalli at 11:30 PM. The toll at sriperumbudur is atrocious. They charge Rs 45 for single trip by car and Rs 70 for the return trip. The road is not worth paying toll.
Old 7th July 2014, 09:26   #1641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretariat View Post
  • Not much difference in time although the Chittoor route is some 20 kms shorter
  • The Hosur / Krishnagiri route is dual carriageway all the way through. The Chittoor route has some 125 kms of singe carriageway between Mulbagal and Walajahpet. For that reason, since you are driving in India after a long time, the Krishnagiri route may be better
  • Both routes converge near Walajahpet The road is patchy and bumpy from thereon through to Chennai, but no major issue.
  • Depending on where in Chennai you want to go to, there are choices from Sriperumbudur onwards , although you could still do the straight road and arrive ! - see earlier posts on this thread for options.
Thanks for this information. I am driving to Chennai on 9th July and plan to start sometime around 3:00pm. Though I prefer the dual carriageway, my home in Bangalore is very close to the Chittoor route and i can save possibly up to 30 Km if I use this route.
However:-
- I have not completed a trip on this route before
- The last time I tried from Chennai, I was told to return at a check-post due to the un-rest in Andhra.

Any latest updates would help.
Old 7th July 2014, 11:10   #1642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
Thanks for this information. I am driving to Chennai on 9th July and plan to start sometime around 3:00pm. Though I prefer the dual carriageway, my home in Bangalore is very close to the Chittoor route and i can save possibly up to 30 Km if I use this route.
However:-
- I have not completed a trip on this route before
- The last time I tried from Chennai, I was told to return at a check-post due to the un-rest in Andhra.

Any latest updates would help.
I did the Chittoor route on June 9 this year and it was fine. No unrest, no trouble.

Cheers
tilt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2014, 12:00   #1643
BHPian

Quote:
I did the Chittoor route on June 9 this year and it was fine. No unrest, no trouble.

Cheers
Thanks tilt. Will take it then. Hoping for an fun and UN-eventful journey in my new car.
Old 7th July 2014, 12:03   #1644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
Quote:
Now that the new state has been formed and two separate governments have sworn in, I don't expect trouble about this matter in the near future. This route is back to normal.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 10:03   #1645
BHPian

Will be driving to Bangalore from Chennai this weekend and back from Bangalore on Sunday. If anybody wants to come along please let me know. Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 22:24   #1646
BHPian

Just completed the Bangalore to Chennai route through. Initially, with less traffic, it was fun to drive on the twisties of the single laned road through Mulbagal and Walajahpet. But the traffic increased towards the evening and it slowed progress.
Old 10th July 2014, 10:40   #1647
BHPian

I'm planning to drive down to Chennai next weekend (Friday the 18th of July). Will start by 6.30 - 7.00 am and take the NH7 / NH45 route.
Old 10th July 2014, 17:49   #1648
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
I'm planning to drive down to Chennai next weekend (Friday the 18th of July). Will start by 6.30 - 7.00 am and take the NH7 / NH45 route.
If you're taking the Chennai road from Krishnagiri it's NH 46 not 45
I would suggest starting between 3-4am (latest 5am) for a much more peaceful drive.
Old 11th July 2014, 13:46   #1649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
If you're taking the Chennai road from Krishnagiri it's NH 46 not 45
I would suggest starting between 3-4am (latest 5am) for a much more peaceful drive.
Ah NH46 yes. Also AH45. Anyway, thats the road. 3-4 am is pretty hard, but the good part of it is I'm not on a schedule so journey time is not really an issue. Hoping to make it to Chennai around lunch time.
Old 12th July 2014, 19:58   #1650
BHPian

Is it just me or have roads worsened from Ranipet to Chennai? I drove to Chennai last night and for the first time, ended up with a slight back pain after reaching home.

The worsening roads and an unusually high lorry traffic made the ride very uncomfortable. :thumbdown:

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks