Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2015, 21:48   #2146
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Arrived in Chennai (Navallur) about an hour back. Completely blown away by the Sriperumbudur-Oragadam road - six lanes of pure bliss! Even the Oragadam-Vandalur-Kelambakkam stretch is completely dual carriageway with 2 lanes each way. If only Bangalore could manage even a tenth of what Chennai does for its flagship industry!
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2015, 22:33   #2147
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Thanks. So you'd recommend the Oragadam route over all the other options of connecting from NH4 near Sriperumbudur to NH45 near Tambaram? How is the one through Perungalathur? I'll be driving from Bangalore later today, and I expect to be in Chennai only after 9 PM. My destination is Navallur on OMR (south end of the toll road).
Quote:
Arrived in Chennai (Navallur) about an hour back. Completely blown away by the Sriperumbudur-Oragadam road - six lanes of pure bliss! Even the Oragadam-Vandalur-Kelambakkam stretch is completely dual carriageway with 2 lanes each way. If only Bangalore could manage even a tenth of what Chennai does for its flagship industry!
Since you had to take the Kelambakkam road, the 6-lane Oragadam road makes sense. If you have to head back on GST, its a bit difficult as you can get stuck due to traffic at Tambaram bus stand. From that point of view I prefer the Manimangalam option. That takes me past Tambaram bus stand. But will still try the 6-lane one day.
Old 1st November 2015, 21:18   #2148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Since you had to take the Kelambakkam road, the 6-lane Oragadam road makes sense. If you have to head back on GST, its a bit difficult as you can get stuck due to traffic at Tambaram bus stand. From that point of view I prefer the Manimangalam option. That takes me past Tambaram bus stand. But will still try the 6-lane one day.
Well, Google Maps suggests a connecting road from Perungalathur to Mannivakkam so even via the Manimangalam route there is the possibility of hitting GST at Vandalur. But I know what you mean - in an earlier avatar I used to take the Tambaram-Medavakkam-Sholinganallur route to reach ECR, and the mess within Tambaram was frustrating.

Anyway, back in Bangalore, so can record some observations. It's been more than 18 months since I did a Bangalore-Chennai trip so most of these points might be known to regulars in this route already.

1. My starting point was Indira Nagar (ESI Hospital) so thought I'd hit Bangalore's OMR and go via Chittoor; first bummer was that the Double Road-OMR junction is blocked off. Then there was terrible traffic all the way from Gopalan Mall till the beginning of the toll road beyond Krishnarajapura. Took me I think longer to get out of the city than what it would have taken me had I chosen to go via NH 7.

2. The dual carriageway has extended about 25 km beyond Mulbagal - I think pretty close to, if not exactly at, the KA-AP border. One thing I noticed is that the posted speed limit for this stretch is 100 kmph - I thought NHAI had a 80 kmph limit policy (I particularly noticed that it is 80 kmph throughout the GQ route).

3. Crossed into TN after sunset; so the progress through Ranipet and Walajapet was excruciating. To top it all, a local leader of a political party (headed by a doctor-turned-politician) was going at length why his party should be voted for in next year's assembly elections.

4. Returned via the "normal" route. Pleasantly surprised to see several new restaurants open along the road. Sadly, the old Deepam near Pallikonda toll has shut down. Found a new CCD near Ambur where I stopped for coffee and sandwiches.

5. Even Hosur was quick to clear (several new flyovers), except for a short stretch where trucks waiting to cross into KA are parked on the road. Toyed with the idea of turning towards Thally and reaching Attibele via the TVS factory, but decided against it. Big mistake - spent nearly 20 minutes at the Attibele toll.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2015, 21:32   #2149
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well, Google Maps suggests a connecting road from Perungalathur to Mannivakkam so even via the Manimangalam route there is the possibility of hitting GST at Vandalur. But I know what you mean - in an earlier avatar I used to take the Tambaram-Medavakkam-Sholinganallur route to reach ECR, and the mess within Tambaram was frustrating.
My Drive into Chennai these days always is on Sriperumbadur-Manimangalam-GST. I use Gandhi road to beat the Tambaram traffic. It works like a charm. Beyond GST, I use the radial ring road.

Route Link

There was one small bridge which was under construction on this stretch. Now thats also done. One return its always the regular as during daytime on a sunday, Ponamallee bypass work well.

Quote:
1. My starting point was Indira Nagar (ESI Hospital) so thought I'd hit Bangalore's OMR and go via Chittoor; first bummer was that the Double Road-OMR junction is blocked off. Then there was terrible traffic all the way from Gopalan Mall till the beginning of the toll road beyond Krishnarajapura. Took me I think longer to get out of the city than what it would have taken me had I chosen to go via NH 7.
I think Hosur option is still much more easier to drive, once past Hosur. Hosur-Krshnagiri is nearly completed. And beyond that all the way to Vellore is just too good.

Quote:
Found a new CCD near Ambur where I stopped for coffee and sandwiches.
This is a brilliant location. Have been here couple of times. Right close to the hills, and once when I was there it was raining. Made a perfect setting for caffeine.

Here is the scene! Taken standing at the CCD entrance.
Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-img_20150920_164119097_lr.jpg

Quote:
5. Even Hosur was quick to clear (several new flyovers), except for a short stretch where trucks waiting to cross into KA are parked on the road. Toyed with the idea of turning towards Thally and reaching Attibele via the TVS factory, but decided against it. Big mistake - spent nearly 20 minutes at the Attibele toll.
My theory of being at Silkboard by 5:30 works for me. Basically beat queues by timing your drive. If you can manage that, Krishnagiri-Hosur is very quick these days for me. Does not take much time to be at Silkboard.

Last edited by ampere : 1st November 2015 at 21:34.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 07:00   #2150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even the Walajahbad-Vandalur is a 4 lane SH. Bangalore is lagging way behind Chennai in terms of infrastructure. It is only because of the climate and IT Bangalore is able to attract companies.
OT: Most of the folks complain about the weather in chennai and that is the reason for them to opt for Bangalore. Bangalore weather is no longer what it used to be. My question is all the IT folks work in an AC environment. So even if it is blistering hot outside or raining, it does not bother them.
My experience of having lived in chennai goes like this. From september to February, one can easily survive without AC but fans are required. It is only from March to August that one cannot live without AC.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2015, 21:11   #2151
BHPian

Guys,

As part of my travel plans from Bangalore to Dhanbad (Jharkhand), I am contemplating on below routes:
1. BLR-Kolar-Mulbagal-Tirupathi-Naidupeta-NH5 (GQ)-Onwards
2. BLR-Hosur-Vellore-Kanchipuram-Chennai Bypass Road-NH5-Naidupeta-Onwards

Passengers - 3(including my wife)
Drivers - 2
Car - Elite i20 CRDI

The plan is to complete BLR-Vizag on day 1. I stay near Silk Board. Quite undecided between this and Tirupathi section. I am fine with 100-130 odd kms extra as long it does not adds considerable time to the whole journey. Looking to reach Vizag by 6:30pm - 7pm (max).
  1. What are your suggestions with a 3am start. Hosur or Tirupathi section?
  2. Something we should be aware of on the entire stretch (BLR - Chennai)?
  3. How is Chennai byepass road condition and accessibility?
  4. Any deviation/detour likely ?
Please help.
Old 12th November 2015, 23:09   #2152
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupams View Post
As part of my travel plans from Bangalore to Dhanbad (Jharkhand), I am contemplating on below routes:
2. BLR-Hosur-Vellore-Kanchipuram-Chennai Bypass Road-NH5-Naidupeta-Onwards
I think you can go with the Tirupathi option. A very very early start should see you past Tirupathi before the traffic on the two lane builds up.
Old 13th November 2015, 09:31   #2153
J.Ravi

Quote:
Hosur or Tirupathi section?
Tirupati. Here are my actual timings by my erstwhile Linea:

Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-blorevizag.jpg

You require atleast 19 hours to drive from Bangalore to Vizag including breaks. Plan your departure accordingly. Bangalore to KA-AP border: beautiful 4-lane NH 4. Then onwards, very good 2-lane NH all the way to Naidupeta. You have bypasses for Chittoor, Tirupati and Srikalahasti.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 13th November 2015 at 09:35.

Old 13th November 2015, 13:01   #2154
BHPian

How is the road condition and traffic on chennai to bangalore highway through hosur/vellore? Im planning to start tomorrow morning at 6am from Bangalore. Heard many areas are submerged in Chennai. Will be going to mylapore.
Old 13th November 2015, 13:01   #2155
BHPian

Quote:
What are your suggestions with a 3am start. Hosur or Tirupathi section?
Tripathi route & early morning start (3AM to 4AM start is good) is what I would recommend. When I took this route last year - started around 4:30 AM and reached Vizag around 7PM. So - if you start 3AM and maintain decent speed and breaks, you should be comfortably in Vizag by 6 to 7 PM.

Quote:
Something we should be aware of on the entire stretch (BLR - Chennai)?
Longer and by the time you reach chennai - traffic would have started, which would make it longer even if you take bypass.

Quote:
How is Chennai byepass road condition and accessibility?
Fair.

Quote:
Any deviation/detour likely ?[/list]Please help. please
If you take Tirupati route - all towns have bypasses - so, nothing to worry. Just watch out for folks crossing in small towns/ villages which is common all across India.
Old 15th November 2015, 16:31   #2156
BHPian

What is the situation now with the rains, cyclone in Chennai as well as en route from Vellore / Kancheevaram? Have a trip coming up this week Wednesday/ Thursday? Any Chennai residents who can update will be helpful, thanks. Cheers
Old 15th November 2015, 16:58   #2157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The plan is to complete BLR-Vizag on day 1. I stay near Silk Board. Quite undecided between this and Tirupathi section. I am fine with 100-130 odd kms extra as long it does not adds considerable time to the whole journey. Looking to reach Vizag by 6:30pm - 7pm (max).
If you're willing to drive about 150km extra, the Bangalore-Vijayawada-Vizag route is a good option. You get 4 laned excellent roads throughout, whereas till Naidupeta there will be some stretches having 2 laned roads.

If you approach from Hyderabad, you can also take the Vijayawada bypass https://goo.gl/maps/8qSPp and avoid the messy Benz Circle traffic.

There's also the Vizag bypass road from Ankapalli to Anandapuram, although I don't know the latest road conditions.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 15th November 2015 at 17:14.
Old 15th November 2015, 18:28   #2158
BHPian

I have a plan to drive to Chennai from Bangalore tomorrow morning. I will going to Manapakkam and at evening, will be going to the hotel in GST Road, St. Thomas Mount. With the ongoing rains in Chennai, is it advisable to travel or will struck somewhere in between?

Any pointers of the folks in Chennai or well aware of the situation in Chennai will help to plan my travel.
Old 15th November 2015, 19:18   #2159
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by musafir_blr View Post
With the ongoing rains in Chennai, is it advisable to travel or will struck somewhere in between?
Single Ans: Dont drive.

The way I hear it, its quite bad over there, with water logging all over at many places. Check with relevant folks over there too. But my take: not worth it.

Last edited by ampere : 15th November 2015 at 19:43.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2015, 07:02   #2160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musafir_blr View Post
I have a plan to drive to Chennai from Bangalore tomorrow morning. I will going to Manapakkam and at evening, will be going to the hotel in GST Road, St. Thomas Mount. With the ongoing rains in Chennai, is it advisable to travel or will struck somewhere in between?

Any pointers of the folks in Chennai or well aware of the situation in Chennai will help to plan my travel.
Looking at the MET dept forecast for the next 2 days, you can expect lot of water logging at many places in Chennai. So I would suggest drop the idea of driving by your own vehicle. Train would be the best option in such situation.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks