Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2015, 16:28   #2236
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
I think from Silk Board to Electronic City, the toll charges on the elevated highway is Rs. 45 for a Car for single trip and Rs. 65 for double trip. Only in Attibele it is Rs. 25. Toll Charges
Old 23rd December 2015, 16:31   #2237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbourne View Post
I think from Silk Board to Electronic City, the toll charges on the elevated highway is Rs. 45 for a Car for single trip and Rs. 65 for double trip. Only in Attibele it is Rs. 25. Toll Charges
You can avoid the BETL toll and shave off a few km (but of course drive on a horrible road) if you turn right at sarjapur and then another right onto the Hosa Road. May not be worth it for Rs.45 if it is just once but if you have to cross many times then definitely look into it.
Old 23rd December 2015, 16:37   #2238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
You can avoid the BETL toll and shave off a few km (but of course drive on a horrible road) if you turn right at sarjapur and then another right onto the Hosa Road. May not be worth it for Rs.45 if it is just once but if you have to cross many times then definitely look into it.
Actually I live in electronic city, so never had to take the elevated highway while going to Chennai.
Old 23rd December 2015, 17:43   #2239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimz View Post
Hello Bhpians - am planning to travel to Chennai from Bangalore (whitefield) tomorrow (24th) morning. Would like your suggestions on a good time to start. Do you think there could be a lot of traffic tomorrow? Would 6 AM be good enough or should I start earlier to avoid the queues at the toll gates? Any inputs would be appreciated. Thanks much.

We three friends are also planning the trip on 25th morning.
Having experienced the "TOLL mania" during long weekends in both FROM and TO Bangalore, have decided to leave home on 25th Morning at 03:30 AM.
We normally take the Varthur-Sarjapur-Bagalur-Hosur Bus Terminus stretch.
Old 25th December 2015, 17:32   #2240
BHPian

Route Update:

Did the Bangalore - Chennai stretch on Wednesday. The highway department people have covered almost 90 % of the potholes. It is a bit easy to maneuver and drive from chennasamudram till kanchipuram.
jasonbourne is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2015, 21:38   #2241
VKS
BHPian

Drove from Chennai to Bangalore today. Took Velachery-Vandalur-Oragadam-Kanchipuram-vellore-krishnagiri route. 7 hrs in all.The kanchipuram- Chennasamudram road seems to be fixed now.
Old 26th December 2015, 12:21   #2242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKS View Post
The kanchipuram- Chennasamudram road seems to be fixed now.
Has the road from Chennasumdram toll to Sriperumbudur been patched up or relaid afresh.
Old 26th December 2015, 15:55   #2243
BHPian

I just reached Chennai from Bangalore. Took me 6.5 hours in a nano. Roads after Chennasudram is still in bad shape. 2 lane makes it more tough to speed up. Max speed was 80kms .
Old 26th December 2015, 16:00   #2244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
I just reached Chennai from Bangalore. Took me 6.5 hours in a nano. Roads after Chennasudram is still in bad shape. 2 lane makes it more tough to speed up. Max speed was 80kms .
Means it has reached the condition it was in before the rains. That road is in perennially bad shape with heavy truck traffic, surprised you were able to maintain 80 kmph for any reasonable length of time before dropping down to 40..50 as there is a slow truck in front of you hogging the middle of the road.
Old 26th December 2015, 16:06   #2245
BHPian

My max speed was 80 and I was able to reach it occasionally . As said by you majority of my speeds were 40 to 50 only
Old 26th December 2015, 20:03   #2246
VKS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Has the road from Chennasumdram toll to Sriperumbudur been patched up or relaid afresh.
It is a combination of both.The top layer of the road is patchy at places but that's how it has always been. I joined this road at Kanchipuram, so I can comment on Kanchipuram to Chennasamudram toll only.
Old 27th December 2015, 07:30   #2247
BHPian

I drove yesterday and took the poonamalee - sriperunbedur - vellore - krishnagiri route. Potholes are terrible. Had some nasty suprises and was carrying my cycle on the bike rack as well so had to really slowdown at places. Was bad from the time I hit poonamalee till just a bit before vellore. Just a few patches had work going on to repair them. I suggest everyone buffer an hour for time lost to this. I usually do thoraipakkam - ecity in a little over 5 hours, yesterday took me 6.5.
Old 27th December 2015, 07:59   #2248
BHPian

Drove from Sahakar nagar to saligramam. Post walajah horrible roads for first 10 kms. Then better. Worst is good roads and pothole out of nowhere. Riskier stuff is vehicle in front suddenly taking left or right suddenly to avoid potholes. So better to keep a safe distance and as @seek said keep a buffer of an hour. Took me 6 hrs driving time. Within chennai from porur to virugambakkam lots of road work was happening at night.
Old 28th December 2015, 12:58   #2249
BHPian

I drove on the 24th from bangalore to Chennai. Due to infant travelling along and need to feed her early bfast and carry along lunch, we started late @830PM. Unfortunately it felt like whole bangalore was going out at same time. Realised later that 24th was govt. holiday too. End result- took good 2 hrs to exit bangalore and attibele traffic.

Once on the Chennai route (after Knagiri) traffic was sparse, but my MMI acted up and we missed the exit to kanchipuram town. But to my surprise I found the traffic sparse and the bad road until sriperumbedur manageable.

In my humble opinion, if you are travelling in daytime, the road is decently patched up- key is to make sure you are < 80KM in this stretch (which is anyway the speed limit )

Thank you all for the help.

Drive safe!!
Old 28th December 2015, 18:06   #2250
BHPian

Hi All,

I am planning to drive from Bangalore to Chennai during the 2nd week of January 2016, so looking at road conditions post the Chennai floods. I am planning to take Hosur - Krishnagiri - Vellore - Kanchipuram - Sriperumbudur - Chennai route.

Seems like the highway till Vellore is in good condition (with some minor construction work before Krishnagiri as shown by Google maps), but post that there are some broken patches. Can anyone please guide me as to what portions are in bad shape and to what extent. I will be driving alone and since I have to reach Chennai early in the morning I need to cover the distance at night. I have preciously driven to Chennai but that was a long time back and that too during the day. So any tips would be really appreciated.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks