Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2018, 11:31   #2941
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Need some suggestion on my trip from Bangalore to Mahabalipuram next week. The query is how to bypass Kanchipuram or can I drive through the town during noon? Google shows a bypass using the 'Military Road' and then on Walajahbad - Chengalpattu. Is this the best route?

https://goo.gl/maps/FyDj9AnwKC62
Old 12th May 2018, 13:03   #2942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
Need some suggestion on my trip from Bangalore to Mahabalipuram next week. The query is how to bypass Kanchipuram or can I drive through the town during noon? Google shows a bypass using the 'Military Road' and then on Walajahbad - Chengalpattu. Is this the best route?

Well, that's the route. The national highway ends at Kanchipuram. The Kanchipuram to Mahabalipuram road is just a state way but is a decent highway but just like any state highway you cannot do high speeds and have to be cautious.
Old 12th May 2018, 14:03   #2943
BHPian

As such, the route indicated by Google, is perfect to skip Kanchipuram town. Though it is not part of the NH, still the road condition is decent enough.

But, if you wish to break for refreshments, suggest to drive through Kanchipuram town, as otherwise, it is bit difficult to have it beyond. And, afternoon is relatively free to zip through Kanchipuram. Trust, it helps.
Old 12th May 2018, 16:46   #2944
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Google shows a bypass using the 'Military Road' and then on Walajahbad - Chengalpattu. Is this the best route?
Yes, Military Road does go around town, but be wary there'll be some town traffic (like 2-wheelers, share autos and NH lorries connecting to NH45) that uses Military Road and expect moderate traffic between Kanchipuram to Walajabad. I wouldn't suggest going through Kanchipuram town though, unless you want to visit the temples or doing silk saree shopping.

I had taken Vandalur-Walajabad-Kanchipuram few times and this has been my experience.
Old 12th May 2018, 17:18   #2945
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
Well, that's the route. The national highway ends at Kanchipuram. The Kanchipuram to Mahabalipuram road is just a state way but is a decent highway but just like any state highway you cannot do high speeds and have to be cautious.
Thank you for the confirmation.
Shall keep the speed in check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstlnt View Post
As such, the route indicated by Google, is perfect to skip Kanchipuram town. Though it is not part of the NH, still the road condition is decent enough.

But, if you wish to break for refreshments, suggest to drive through Kanchipuram town, as otherwise, it is bit difficult to have it beyond. And, afternoon is relatively free to zip through Kanchipuram. Trust, it helps.
Thank you,
No breaks required. I would like to skip Kanchipuram, good to know there is a decent bypass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Yes, Military Road does go around town, but be wary there'll be some town traffic (like 2-wheelers, share autos and NH lorries connecting to NH45) that uses Military Road and expect moderate traffic between Kanchipuram to Walajabad. I wouldn't suggest going through Kanchipuram town though, unless you want to visit the temples or doing silk saree shopping.

I had taken Vandalur-Walajabad-Kanchipuram few times and this has been my experience.
Thanks. No temples or shopping. Approximately how much time would it take to reach Mahabalipuram from the Kanchipuram entrance using the military road and assuming moderate traffic?
Old 12th May 2018, 17:33   #2946
BHPian

It is around 75 Km only. But, local traffic will be more till Walajah, which is around 27 Km. Thereafter, traffic is relatively less till Chengalpet. Once you cross, Chengalpet , road is absolutely clean for a cruise.. So, 2 hours is the maximum time required.

Last edited by tstlnt : 12th May 2018 at 17:37.
Old 13th May 2018, 19:13   #2947
BHPian

Quote:

The route is good, by pass Kanchipuram

You can even leave from Bangalore by evening 6pm and reach Mahabalipuram easily by around 12-12:30am. What time are you planning to leave? That way you wont find much traffic by the time you reach Kanchipuram.

Work of Caution - Chengalpattu to Mahabaliuram road is isolated, is much more isolated at night and was filled with potholes till sometime back. Be careful not to stop anywhere preferably.
Old 13th May 2018, 21:29   #2948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstlnt View Post
It is around 75 Km only. But, local traffic will be more till Walajah, which is around 27 Km. Thereafter, traffic is relatively less till Chengalpet. Once you cross, Chengalpet , road is absolutely clean for a cruise.. So, 2 hours is the maximum time required.
ok, that should help in planning. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baahubali View Post
The route is good, by pass Kanchipuram

You can even leave from Bangalore by evening 6pm and reach Mahabalipuram easily by around 12-12:30am. What time are you planning to leave? That way you wont find much traffic by the time you reach Kanchipuram.

Work of Caution - Chengalpattu to Mahabaliuram road is isolated, is much more isolated at night and was filled with potholes till sometime back. Be careful not to stop anywhere preferably.
No night drives, it would be a morning start at 6am to beat Bangalore traffic. From there on should be a relaxed drive till Kanchipuram. Kanchipuram-walajabad-Chengalpattu seems to be the strech with moderate town traffic.
Thank you all for your suggestions. Shall provide an update after the trip.
Old 21st May 2018, 12:26   #2949
BHPian

Trip update after a round trip of Chennai-Bangalore over last weekend.
Onward : Kathipara-Porur-Sriperumbudur-Vellore-Hosur-Bagalur-Marathahalli
Journey time : 07 hrs. Lost total of around 1 hour of traffic on Sarjapur-Gunjur-varthur, around 50 mins of total break time.

Return : Marathahalli-Hosa Road-Attibele-Krishnagiri-Vellore-Kanchipuram-Byepass-Military Road-Walajabad-Oragadam-ORR-Pammal.
Journey Time : 06:30 hrs with couple of breaks mounting to an hour

The stretch from Poonamallee-Kanchipuram has a couple of potholes in the mid of the road, but compared to my last trip around a year ago, there was fairly less amount of potholes between Nemili(Sriperumbudur) toll and Chennasamudram toll.

The Hosur-Bagalur stretch is better, but, after Bagalur till Varthur the road condition is bad.
The two giant sized speed breakers just before Sarjapur scraped my Baleno(newgen's) underbody.
Sedans beware !!
There was traffic right from Gunjur after the shaneeshwara temple till Varthur Lake. Decided not to take this road again.

The return trip was fairly uneventful.
There are indications before a Kilometer ONLY for few of the famous barricades in TN side.
Sai Sangeet in Vaniyambadi seems to be everybody's pitstop these days. Had to wait for 10-15 mins to get seated during the return trip at 03:00 PM for lunch.

Driving inside Bangalore was very tough. Got caught in bad jams in Tin Factory, KR Puram-ITPL road, courtesy Metro Construction.

Oh, for the first time in a decade, the petrol was cheaper in Bangalore than TN, thanks to GST.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 21st May 2018 at 21:12. Reason: Smileys = 2 per post. Please stick to the rules. Thanks!
Old 21st May 2018, 13:46   #2950
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster View Post
Trip update
What was your start-end timings both ways?

For one Sai Sangeet is popular, another reason I can think is that bulk of the eateries on that sector are on the other side of the road. Had a similar experience visiting Kaveripakkam Murugan Idli Kadai for breakfast at 745am.
Old 21st May 2018, 15:30   #2951
BHPian

Quote:
Onward - Kathipara - 05:45 AM - 01:00 PM - Marathahalli
Return - Hosa Road - 12:30PM - 07:00 PM - PAMMAL

Quote:
For one Sai Sangeet is popular, another reason I can think is that bulk of the eateries on that sector are on the other side of the road. Had a similar experience visiting Kaveripakkam Murugan Idli Kadai for breakfast at 745am.
Sai sangeet even attracts those who drive Chennai Bangalore as well, even though on the other side of the road.
hamster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2018, 20:01   #2952
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Sai Sangeet near the Walajah Toll and then Vaniyambadi on the return trip.

I just look for old women selling koozhu (ragi gruel / ganji) by the roadside. One or two mugs of this with buttermilk, chutney, pickle and sliced mangoes and you're done with food till well past lunchtime. And it takes under 10 minutes.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2018, 21:08   #2953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Sai Sangeet near the Walajah Toll and then Vaniyambadi on the return trip.

I just look for old women selling koozhu (ragi gruel / ganji) by the roadside. One or two mugs of this with buttermilk, chutney, pickle and sliced mangoes and you're done with food till well past lunchtime. And it takes under 10 minutes.
Which section do you find them? I would definitely like to try them once at least.
Old 21st May 2018, 21:14   #2954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
Which section do you find them? I would definitely like to try them once at least.
Just after some of the tolls e.g. Krishnagiri. Keep a look out to the side of the road for carts selling all kinds of stuff such as tender coconuts. Usually there will be a koozhu seller there as well.
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018, 08:22   #2955
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster View Post
Sai sangeet even attracts those who drive Chennai Bangalore as well, even though on the other side of the road.
There are some other options as well, especially if you are going towards Bangalore. Yes Sai Sangeeth is good and there is one after Walajah toll, I have also heard good things about Alankar. Right below the Ratnagiri hill (Murgan temple). Once you cross Ranipet and get on to 6-lane before 10-12 km Vellore, you should see it on your side.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks