Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2018, 08:30   #2956
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster View Post

Sai sangeet even attracts those who drive Chennai Bangalore as well, even though on the other side of the road.
In case one does not wish to drive to Sai Sangeet while coming from Chennai, he or she can break for food at Sai Akshayam. Looks like they are all part of the same franchise.
Old 22nd May 2018, 08:37   #2957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Sai Sangeet near the Walajah Toll and then Vaniyambadi on the return trip.
I am aware of both, infact there's a third on NH7 near Dharmapuri as well.

I get a chance to drive Madras-Hosur quite frequently, so have marked up all popular restaurants on the way.
Old 22nd May 2018, 14:32   #2958
BHPian

Update on my Bangalore-Mahabalipuram trip. Thanks to the earlier feedback and google, the route was pretty much straight forward with good roads all the way.
- No sign boards showing the Kanchipuram Bypass (since its not an official one). The first part of the bypass until Vandavasi Road is broad with no traffic. The second part through military road is similar to any town traffic.
- On the Kanchipuram-Walajabad section you find lots of tipper lorries. As you reach the towns the traffic picks up.
- On the Walajahbad - Chengalpattu stretch one can maintain 70-80 kmph. Chengalpattu town slows you down again.
- Post Chengalpattu, you start to see sign boards for Mahabalipuram. There is minor road widening work here but the roads get better from here on.
- Toll of Rs 36 while entering ECR and Rs 75 for entering Mahabalipuram.
sansvk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2018, 07:51   #2959
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
- Toll of Rs 36 while entering ECR and Rs 75 for entering Mahabalipuram.
Why do you need to pay 36 for ECR? I think max you'll drive is about a km or 2.

What timeframe did you drive the Military Road-Walajabad section?
Old 24th May 2018, 14:08   #2960
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Why do you need to pay 36 for ECR? I think max you'll drive is about a km or 2.

Agree, It's just a 3 km ride. Tolls were being collected on both roads leading up to the ECR.

What timeframe did you drive the Military Road-Walajabad section?
Onward journey it was around 11am on a weekday, while on the return it was past noon on the weekend.
sansvk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2018, 23:43   #2961
BHPian

Hi All,

I am driving to Chennai from bangalore this weekend. Any precautions you be taken with respect to ongoing protests regarding sterlite plant? I know it's not in the immediate vicinity but just trying to be extra careful.
Old 26th May 2018, 05:36   #2962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg View Post
Hi All,

I am driving to Chennai from bangalore this weekend. Any precautions you be taken with respect to ongoing protests regarding sterlite plant? I know it's not in the immediate vicinity but just trying to be extra careful.
Chennai bangalore route, through vellore, is clear and doesn't have any issue as such. Even, i don't expect any kind of blockage, in the weekend
tstlnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2018, 15:15   #2963
Senior - BHPian

Did a quick weekender to Chennai. The onward trip was uninteresting. The return journey started from Thiruporur so I too took the Thiruporur-Chengalpet-Walajabad-Kanchipuram route. Though there were some apprehensions about the road quality, I discovered that it was all misplaced.

Started from Thiruporur at 8 PM. It was quite a deserted trip till the road coming from Tirukazhukundram on the outskirts of Chengalpet town. Stopped for dinner at Ranga Residency (https://goo.gl/maps/RJp3ZiSdXMG2) which was quite decent.

Was in two minds whether to take Singaperumal Koil-Oragadam-Sriperumbudur or Walajabad-Kanchipuram, but the latter won. It was mostly a peaceful drive though there was substantial truck and TNSTC bus traffic. Google Maps took me through the Military Road bypass to Kanchipuram town. The last stretch of that - Kanchipuram bypass (MDR 143) was so long that I thought I had lost my way. :-) Joined the main GQ at around 11 PM. Handed over the vehicle to my wife and decided to take a nap.

Woke up at Krishnagiri toll where we were stuck in the Fastag lane (the attendant said lanes 3, 4 & 6 are Fastag enabled though the orange-coloured badging is present only on lane 4). Stepped out to see what the matter is - a truck driver was arguing with the booth staff about the excess toll he had to pay (I think he had a Fastag from a lower category vehicle). Relieved wife from driving duties and eventually reached home at 2.30 AM.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2018, 19:15   #2964
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Was in two minds whether to take Singaperumal Koil-Oragadam-Sriperumbudur or Walajabad-Kanchipuram, but the latter won. It was mostly a peaceful drive though .
Perfect decision and at times it takes about half an hour to cross singa perumal koil junction. And walajabad road is the better choice than sriperumpudur road, for thirupporur.
Old 8th June 2018, 12:45   #2965
BHPian

Hi All, Planning to drive to Chennai tomorrow (9th June). Was thinking of starting at 6 AM from Nagarbhavi. How will be the traffic condition during this time?. Will not be able to leave earlier than this. Also return will be on Sunday afternoon around 2 ~3 PM. I am assuming this trip will be entirely during peak traffic conditions. Any suggestions or feedback to avoid or minimize traffic. Also this is my first drive to Chennai. Thanks in advance.
Old 8th June 2018, 12:59   #2966
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiler View Post
Hi All, Planning to drive to Chennai tomorrow (9th June). Was thinking of starting at 6 AM from Nagarbhavi. How will be the traffic condition during this time?. Will not be able to leave earlier than this. Also return will be on Sunday afternoon around 2 ~3 PM. I am assuming this trip will be entirely during peak traffic conditions. Any suggestions or feedback to avoid or minimize traffic. Also this is my first drive to Chennai. Thanks in advance.
Take the NICE road without any second thoughts and then it is GQ all the way. BTW where is your destination in Chennai
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2018, 13:47   #2967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Take the NICE road without any second thoughts and then it is GQ all the way. BTW where is your destination in Chennai
I will be going to Ayanavaram. Yes will take NICE road.
Old 8th June 2018, 15:49   #2968
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All, Planning to drive to Chennai tomorrow (9th June). Was thinking of starting at 6 AM from Nagarbhavi.
If you can start early, say 4 or 4:30am it will be good since you can easily reach outskirts of chennai (just past Sriperumbudur toll) by 9am or 9:30 with a 30 minute break en route included.
Also, Sai Sangeet near Vaniyambadi is a good place to stop for breakfast and they are usually open by 6:15am.

Last edited by NPV : 8th June 2018 at 15:51.
Old 8th June 2018, 19:04   #2969
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For your return journey, try to leave Chennai by 2 PM. Later in the evening Krishnagiri toll plaza becomes a bottle neck to cross. You can also expect rain in the course of your journey.
Old 8th June 2018, 22:34   #2970
BHPian

Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
If you can start early, say 4 or 4:30am it will be good since you can easily reach outskirts of chennai (just past Sriperumbudur toll) by 9am or 9:30 with a 30 minute break en route included.
Also, Sai Sangeet near Vaniyambadi is a good place to stop for breakfast and they are usually open by 6:15am.

Thanks. But highly impossible to leave that early

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
For your return journey, try to leave Chennai by 2 PM. Later in the evening Krishnagiri toll plaza becomes a bottle neck to cross. You can also expect rain in the course of your journey.

Will try to do that. Thanks

Most Viewed