Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2019, 20:25   #3286
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Guys, what would be the optimal route from East Bangalore (Whitefield) to Chennai Airport on a weekday morning? I plan to leave as early as 4 am. Please share approx drive time as well, for said time of day.
- Kolar/Chitoor for sure.
- And then get to Manimangalam-Tambaram SH. And then on to Meenambakkam (Link)

Please note getting a U turn at Gandhi Memorial is I think stopped. You may have to get into the town side and come back to Gandhi memorial
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2019, 21:28   #3287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
- Kolar/Chitoor for sure.
- And then get to Manimangalam-Tambaram SH. And then on to Meenambakkam (Link)

Please note getting a U turn at Gandhi Memorial is I think stopped. You may have to get into the town side and come back to Gandhi memorial
Thanks Amp! Is this route 4-laned all the way till Ranipet, where it joins the Krishnagiri highway? Also, what'd be the approx drive time? Any good breakfast stops enroute?
Old 7th December 2019, 21:34   #3288
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Amp! Is this route 4-laned all the way till Ranipet, where it joins the Krishnagiri highway? Also, what'd be the approx drive time? Any good breakfast stops enroute?
No its not fully 4-laned. Bangalore-Chitoor is 4-laned all the way. But please note after Mulbagal, 4-lane is more concrete based. So please drive accordingly. There are also humps on some of the sections.

Chitoor-Ranipet is not 4-laned. Its a regular 2-lane. But beyond that its again 4-lane. Bu truck traffic will catch-up. Chitoor has a bypass too.

Also Sriperumbur-Tambaram is not that easy if to drive through. Lot of blind turns and 2-lane traffic. So please have maps in handy and be cautious.

However it still is the best option of all.
Old 7th December 2019, 21:40   #3289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No its not fully 4-laned. Bangalore-Chitoor is 4-laned all the way. But please note after Mulbagal, 4-lane is more concrete based. So please drive accordingly. There are also humps on some of the sections.

Chitoor-Ranipet is not 4-laned. Its a regular 2-lane. But beyond that its again 4-lane. Bu truck traffic will catch-up. Chitoor has a bypass too.

Also Sriperumbur-Tambaram is not that easy if to drive through. Lot of blind turns and 2-lane traffic. So please have maps in handy and be cautious.

However it still is the best option of all.
Despite all this you'd still suggest this over Krishnagiri route? Why so?
Old 7th December 2019, 21:43   #3290
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Despite all this you'd still suggest this over Krishnagiri route? Why so?
Simply because you are in Whitfield. You can get on to the 4-lane so fast while it will easily 45 to a an hour (am guessing) minutes to go past Attibele toll all the way from Whitefield.

Its not that bad actually. See updates on the Bangalore-Tirupati thread.
Old 8th December 2019, 09:26   #3291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Simply because you are in Whitfield. You can get on to the 4-lane so fast while it will easily 45 to a an hour (am guessing) minutes to go past Attibele toll all the way from Whitefield.

Its not that bad actually. See updates on the Bangalore-Tirupati thread.
But maps always tries to route me through the Sarjapur Attibele Road (or is it moonscape) and then past the e city toll

It’s never shown me the tin factory route as yet for my at least one trip a month Chennai to Whitefield
Old 8th December 2019, 09:52   #3292
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
But maps always tries to route me through the Sarjapur Attibele Road (or is it moonscape) and then past the e city toll
There can also be a crowd sourcing aspect of map. If more people start using the Old Madras road its quite possible Google may change its suggestion.

For example same happened for Bangalore-Pondicherry. Over time Google suggestion changed from Tiruvannamalai to Cheyyar/Vandavasi.

Many in Bangalore who stay in Whitefield/KR Puram (some of my acquaintances too) have always been using Chitoor option.

Last edited by ampere : 8th December 2019 at 09:53.
Old 8th December 2019, 10:13   #3293
Distinguished - BHPian

Thinking of taking the Chitoor route to Chennai the week after next. Is it better to stick to Chitoor - Ranipet route or can i take Chitoor - Arakkonam - Ponamalee.
Since the end point is Anna nagar, would it make sense to try Chitoor - Thiruttani - Thiruvallur - Anna nagar?
Usual 5 am start expected from North BLR.
Old 8th December 2019, 10:25   #3294
BHPian

For a 4 AM start I would recommend sticking to the krishnagiri route. Much faster drive until walajah and it wouldn't really take much time to cross attibele.

The other issue with the chittor route is the lack of proper places to have breakfast. There is only one-a food court along with a shell petrol bunk in Kolar which will definitely be closed that early. Post that you need to get to walajah for breakfast which might be a bit late.

Chittoor makes sense only if u start post 6 AM.
anandhsub is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2019, 10:45   #3295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Thinking of taking the Chitoor route to Chennai the week after next. Is it better to stick to Chitoor - Ranipet route or can i take Chitoor - Arakkonam - Ponamalee.
Since the end point is Anna nagar, would it make sense to try Chitoor - Thiruttani - Thiruvallur - Anna nagar?
Usual 5 am start expected from North BLR.
Please take the chitoor ranipet route only. You save lots of time. Especially when you are starting that early. Chitoor Arakkonam goes through lots of towns and consumes time. And arakkonam poonamalee via thakkolam and thandalam has few potholes and narrow stretches. Visited koovam last week and took the road from poonamalee to Koovam via this road.
prabhuferrari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2019, 13:37   #3296
Senior - BHPian

Planning for a drive to electronics city from Tambaram on a Sunday early morning. Please suggest the best route in terms of safety and comfort since am travelling with the family.

Would be great if you could suggest some hygienic restaurants for breakfast. Also which is the best outlet to taste the famous Ambur Biriyani?

What would be the total toll for the route?
Old 8th December 2019, 14:18   #3297
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
best route
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post4703051 (Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries)

Quote:
hygienic restaurants for breakfast.
My usual stops are
1) https://goo.gl/maps/YnTGPBbjcUEY28J46
2) https://goo.gl/maps/1jFvgV1wxQX4FWbq5

Quote:
Ambur Biriyani?
https://goo.gl/maps/ik9h8YqVQkgdgKpDA based on recommendations. I am not a big fan of Biryani and hence never stopped here.

Quote:
What would be the total toll for the route?
465-480 IIRC
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2019, 14:57   #3298
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Would be great if you could suggest some hygienic restaurants for breakfast.
Few good hotels (I've dined at) in increasing order of distance from Chennai:
1. Sangeetha's on right side at Thirumazhisai (this may not be an option if you drive to Sriperumbudur directly from Tambaram)

2. A2B on right side near Arcot

3. Murugan Idli on left side after Kanchipuram bypass

4. Sai Sangeet on right side at Chengulikuppam near Vaniyambadi
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2019, 15:00   #3299
Senior - BHPian

Ambur the original star biryani opposite the railway station is a safe bet. Park in the service road next to the railway station and cross the road on foot if Chennai to Bangalore.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 22:52   #3300
BHPian

Update on my return trip from Bangalore to Chennai yesterday.
Started from Whitefield at 1PM. As expected Gmaps showed heavy traffic around Vartur area, I guess due to Sunday market. Followed the alternative route suggested by maps which took me through some villages after taking right turn at Samethanahalli. Initial part of the route was narrow single laned with many speed breakers, but after some distance it joins a nice 2 laned road which took me directly to Sarjapur and then to Attibele.

There wasn't much traffic until Chennasamudram toll. Here the traffic had piled up for more than 500 meters. Took 15-20 minutes to get through. Good part was no one was being stopped for toll. Thereon the road conditions stated deteriorating until Sriperumbudur. Though patch work has been done to cover the large potholes, smaller ones were left as it is. Finally reached Medavakkam at 6:30PM through Mudichur - Tambaram route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I think you did it in good time, despite the traffic inside Chennai
Curious to know how the Attibele-Varthur stretch was at that time ?
Absolutely no traffic. It was smooth drive until I jumped one unmarked speed breaker somewhere after Sarjapur.
Makin Rulesz is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed