Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2020, 10:48   #3436
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

The Chittoor route is fine except for a short stretch of rough road. Less food options as well, so far.

Go ahead, just don't try night driving on this route for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannan View Post
I'm planning to drive to Chennai either tomorrow or day after tomorrow based on my car service. The radiator fan motor has issues and Maruti is trying to get a replacement. Based on the car situation am planning to apply for e-pass. Not sure to apply for tomorrow or day after tomorrow.

Meanwhile am contemplating to take Chittoor route or Krishnagiri route. I prefer Chittoor route since I'm located near Kalyan Nagar. As Turbohead requested did anyone travel recently via Chittoor route, how is the road now?
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2020, 11:04   #3437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
Don’t think it will get completed soon. It has gone into Political blockade. Current government wants to put some allegations on the previous govt in the tendering and compensation process. Until they find something the works may not start.
Thanks! That's some sad information!

Besides, is there requirement for Andhra Pradesh pass while passing through? I just realised that Chittoor is in Andhra Pradesh.
Old 2nd October 2020, 00:00   #3438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Has anyone travelled on Chittoor road recently? Is the road construction completed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannan View Post
I'm planning to drive to Chennai either tomorrow or day after tomorrow based on my car service. The radiator fan motor has issues and Maruti is trying to get a replacement. Based on the car situation am planning to apply for e-pass. Not sure to apply for tomorrow or day after tomorrow.

Meanwhile am contemplating to take Chittoor route or Krishnagiri route. I prefer Chittoor route since I'm located near Kalyan Nagar. As Turbohead requested did anyone travel recently via Chittoor route, how is the road now?
Here is the dedicated thread on Chittoor route. Bangalore, Chennai via Chittoor : Route Queries. Someone has updated it couple of days ago with latest status.
Makin Rulesz is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 11:51   #3439
BHPian

I took the Krishnagiri route to Chennai yesterday.
Started at around 06:45 in the morning and reached around 01:15pm in the afternoon.

Took two road side breaks for 15 minutes each to give engine some rest and then drove.
At few toll booths cash users were using Fastag lanes but the wait was less than 5 minutes maximum.

None of the police personnel stopped me anywhere though I had e-pass.
Kannan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 16:49   #3440
BHPian

Does TN still have 14 day Home quarantine for inter state passengers or is it possible to do a 2-3 day ( non business) return trip nowadays?
Old 4th October 2020, 20:11   #3441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
Does TN still have 14 day Home quarantine for inter state passengers or is it possible to do a 2-3 day ( non business) return trip nowadays?
As per ePass and on paper records, yes they mention 14 days quarantine. But in reality it is not. You can very well return in 2 to 3 days.

-Ravi
Old 5th October 2020, 08:20   #3442
BHPian

Are the restaurants open and allowing dine-in in this route? I am planning to travel during Dussera holidays and would like to take a break in restaurants like A2B, Sai Sangeet, etc.
Old 5th October 2020, 11:55   #3443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin@y View Post
Are the restaurants open and allowing dine-in in this route? I am planning to travel during Dussera holidays and would like to take a break in restaurants like A2B, Sai Sangeet, etc.
Yes, restaurants are open and dine-in is allowed. However, when i saw in A2B, i don't see enough social distancing norms maintained.
Things are like pre-covid times, so you really need to take care of your safety!

I would suggest/recommend one person to get take away from these restaurants and rest everybody have the food in car or road side where there was no crowd. Just a thought.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 15:52   #3444
Distinguished - BHPian

Bangalore- Chennai - Bangalore: 02 Oct - 04 Oct long weekend

This was the first interstate drive past lockdown, last I drove in this route was around mid Feb this year, almost a month before the lockdown.

Applied and got the auto approved pass couple of weeks back, took couple of print outs of the same so as to avoid contact on phone.

Onward: 02-OCT:
Started from home near HSR layout at 04.40 AM, traffic was sparse for a long weekend. However, it was crowded like any regular weekend. Thankfully, Attibele and Krishnagiri toll booths were comparatively free.

Drove non stop and reached Vadapalani by around 08.40 AM. One of the fastest drives, helped due to less traffic at tolls in general and zero office traffic around Sripermbedur.

Return 04- Oct:

Started from home at 02:45 PM, there were lot of KA vehicles all throughout. Reached Krishnagiri around 06.15 PM and home around 07.45 PM.

There was 5 minute traffic jam near border due to people getting off buses and due to multiple buses taking turn (more on that below).

Observations:

* There is considerable increase in number of bikes on road. Should be since due to lack of interstate buses, people are riding across.
* Saw TN entry pass getting checked at border. However, I was behind a truck on left lane and was let through. However, there were around ~ 20 cars parked on the right lane with policemen checking the documents.
* Cycling seems to have caught on in a big way, saw cyclists even in smaller towns like Ranipet.
* Road condition of Walajpet - Sriperumbur section has improved. Also, 6 laning work has noticeable progress. Though, I didn't see any work in progress during both onward and return drives. Hope its not stopped again.
* There are handful of ~100 meters sections where 6 laning is done. These starts and ends abruptly. Hence will be tricky if driving in night.
* Since interstate buses are not there, buses from both TN and KA is dropping off passengers at their side of the border. People are then walking across the border and boarding the other bus.
* Buses after dropping off takes U turn near the border. This is causing traffic pileup on both sides of the border.
* No check while entering to KA.
* Didn't notice any major restaurant's which are closed.

Video of work in progress sections

Video of full drive

mpksuhas is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 14:01   #3445
Senior - BHPian

Need some info on driving to Chennai and returning the same day.
I had posted this sometime back before the restrictions were lifted.

I am planning to go next Sunday and return the same day after picking my in-laws. I understand from earlier posts that I need an e-pass for TN. Do I need get one for me and my in laws as well for entering KA?
Also is same day return possible? I am planning to go via Hosur and return via Chittoor. Do I need an e-pass to cut through AP?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10th October 2020, 22:03   #3446
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I am planning to go next Sunday and return the same day after picking my in-laws. I understand from earlier posts that I need an e-pass for TN. Do I need get one for me and my in laws as well for entering KA?
Also is same day return possible?
Entering KA doesn't require an e-pass nor there is any checking at the border. So, it doesn't matter on whether you return on the same day or next day .
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 22:26   #3447
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I am planning to go via Hosur and return via Chittoor. Do I need an e-pass to cut through AP?
Based on this post (Bangalore, Chennai via Chittoor : Route Queries), there is no checking at AP or KA borders.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 22:38   #3448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Based on this post (Bangalore, Chennai via Chittoor : Route Queries), there is no checking at AP or KA borders.
AP seems to have done away with e-Pass. Just travelled from Chennai to Chittoor. No checking/stopping for e-passes while entering into AP.
Will update on the entry into TN from AP tomorrow.
saisree is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 19:17   #3449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
Will update on the entry into TN from AP tomorrow.
Just completed the return journey. TN border at Serkadu was insisting on e-pass. Fortunately, I had applied for it before the journey and got it approved in seconds. People with out e-pass where stopped and were made to wait. There were asked make some entry and were asked to proceed after exchange for few notes.
saisree is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 21:48   #3450

Hello, a rather dumb question, but, why is a pass needed for TN since the unlock guidelines states that there will be no more restrictions on travel? Do I need a pass to enter TN?

Most Viewed