Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 16th October 2020, 16:15   #3466
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Any idea if the McD at Shoolagiri or A2B at Chinnar or Sainsangeet at Vaniyambadi or Mangalam, Aishwarya at Krishnagiri are open or only take away is permitted?
Couple of weeks back when I travelled, there was decent crowd in front of McD/ Krishna Inn. So it should not be just takeaway.

Also, in general, there is no rule against dine-in I guess, saw crowd inside other resturants which is clearly visible from road like Sai-sangeeth, Star Biryani etc

Last edited by Sheel : 16th October 2020 at 19:39. Reason: descent = decent.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2020, 19:25   #3467
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK, based on my observations all restaurants are allowing in dine-in like pre-covid times and all the popular ones are very well crowded with no social distancing. And worst part is many are not wearing masks too.

Only we got to take all precautions and keep distance from others!

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 13:17   #3468
BHPian

Came to Chennai for Navrathri yesterday.

Few points on the drive

1) Had an e pass but no checking at Zuzuvadi check post, may be because I crossed at 6 AM.

2) I did the drive non stop but many restaurants were open. Good crowd in front of Saisangeet.

3) Decent crowd on the road, but far lower than what one would expect for the first day of Navrathri. Took about 4 hours from electronic City toll to Poonamallee. Much heavier traffic within the city in Chennai vs Bangalore. The Chennai bypass has finally been relaid though.

4) Best experience with Fastag till date. No manual scanner at any of the tolls. I had to stop for the barrier to open only at Sri perumbudur while at Electronic City I got stuck behind a truck which took a long time to pass. Weirdly only 2 lanes were open here. Other lanes were closed.

5) Looks like many Uber/Ola drivers have now taken to truck driving. I am usually in awe of how these interstate truck drivers stick to lanes even on relatively sharp curves with not even a part of the wheel stepping out. Main reason why I love driving at night since they are very predictable to overtake. This drive I saw more truck drivers crossing the lanes randomly than in all my drives over the last 4 years put together. It wasnt even that they were driving fast or rash, just not able to stick to the lane.

6) The 6 laning work has progressed well but the parts that are complete should have been barricaded off. The sudden widening without any lane markings and then narrowing back to 2 lanes can cause some trouble.

7) I used to crib a lot about how 2 wheelers drive on the shoulder. But it is after this drive that I realised at least in the Ranipet - Sri perumbudur section it is the local traffic sticking to the shoulder that makes it safer for them and also a lot smoother drive for the faster moving vehicles. Since there is no shoulder any more due to the 6 laning work and there is a cliff at the edge of the road where the digging is going on the local traffic is now occupying the left lane fully making it a bit difficult to overtake. I am also ashamed of my riding days when I used deliberately ride on the left lane and not move to the shoulder making it difficult for cars to overtake.
anandhsub is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 15:10   #3469
BHPian

We took the Chittoor route from Bangalore to Chennai yesterday. I thought of having a breakfast stop at Bans, if I could spot it. But, I couldn't spot it while driving on that stretch. A bridge construction was going on in that junction (Bangalore-Thirupathi-Chittoor) and there was traffic too.

Hence, moved on and went to visit Kanchanagiri (near Lala Pettai). Managed the breakfast with bread (Plan B).

We had lunch at Hotel Amirtha, Ranipet. We had rescued a severly injured cat from our area few weeks back and had to carry it along with us during this trip. This was our first experience of carrying a pet in our car. Approached the hotel staff and requested for outdoor service for our children who will hold the cat during lunch. They were kind enough to serve them in the kids play area. Hotel staff were wearing mask and there was not much crowd at that time in the restaurant.
Vin@y is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 07:37   #3470
Senior - BHPian

Went to Chennai yesterday and returned the same day.
Onward journey was via Krishnagiri and return via Chittoor. Although there was checking at Hosur, they didn't check me and return was like pre-covid days. I left home at 430am and unexpectedly traffic was high all the way except for few stretches between Krishnagiri and Vellore.
Return was slow and after driving on the 6 lane via Vellore, the concrete section after Chittoor felt very rough and bumpy although this was the route I was taking regularly the last few trips. After crossing into Karnataka and after the concrete stretch, the traffic was quite high all the way to Bangalore. It was similar to the Krishnagiri to Blore stretch on a Sunday evening.
Lots of two wheelers and plus newbie car drivers who stuck to the right lane driving slow.
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 12:45   #3471
Senior - BHPian

Based on multiple BHPians reports, its evident that traffic levels had gone up significantly in past few weeks and driving time increased very much in both Krishnagiri route and also in Chittoor route.
Krishnagiri route has very heavy traffic and slows down.
Chittoor route is bumpy ride and road construction.

Either way we lose time and looks like we will end up with atleast 6.30 hours one way journey time on an average, unless you really time it out well or drive in really odd hours/late nights to plan entry/exit in Madras and Bangalore.

-Ravi
Old 11th November 2020, 09:49   #3472

Hello,
Last month, the main road through Sarjapur town (going towards Bagalur and Chikka Tirupathi) was closed due to some construction. Vehicles passing through Sarjapur had to take a long diversion. Two questions:
1) Is the road still closed for construction?
2) What is the suggested diversion (without going through Attibele) to reach Hosur?
Old 11th November 2020, 11:53   #3473
BHPian

We did a Bangalore Chennai trip this weekend. Few updates:

1. Shri Krishna inn at the HPCL bunk near Krishnagiri has an outdoor seating area if you feel more comfortable. Though it is very crowded and you may not find a table to sit.

2. Traffic at tolls are back to pre-covid levels.

3. Some progress on the much needed 6-laning from Chennasamudram Toll plaza towards Sriperumbudur. The Sriperumbudur junction near the Rajiv Gandhi memorial badly needs a 6 lane flyover. This is becoming bad to worse.
DigitalOne is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 11:10   #3474
BHPian

Started around 4 45 from Bangalore (Mathekare) to Chennai via Chittoor route. Roads are not bad (except for few minimal diversions - road work) and were almost empty due to sunday. Reached Tambaram by 10 15 in normal speed.
Old 16th November 2020, 13:00   #3475
Senior - BHPian

Completed Bangalore-Madras-Bangalore trip for Deepavali.

My prior quote is true again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Either way we lose time and looks like we will end up with atleast 6.30 hours one way journey time on an average, unless you really time it out well or drive in really odd hours/late nights to plan entry/exit in Madras and Bangalore.

Started on 12th Nov around 2 pm post lunch and took Chittoor route as it is day time. As usual, the ride was bumpy but traffic was less till Chittoor. Nandi Food Plaza in Bangarupalayam exit is decent stop over in 2 hours drive, if we miss the Maiya's Food plaza/StarBucks/Dominos before Mulgabal toll. There is a new make-shift toll operating just before Bangalore-Tirupati bypass and a new permanent one is being constructed few yards before the temporary one. From Tirupati Bypass onwards, the road construction work is happening (not actively though as it was earlier) and due to very heavy traffic, lots of potholes and diversions. Its a pain to drive unlike last year. So took deviation towards Vellore instead of proceeding towards Serkadu checkpost to enter TN. The road condition towards Vellore is excellent, but crossing over Katpadi and Vellore is time consuming.
Did a stop over at Vellore Jalagandeswarar Temple and then proceeded to Madras in usual 6L NH. The road widening work between Chennasamudram to Kanchipuram is active and we can start seeing the advantage and benefits wherever the widening is complete (without lane marking though). Road condition towards Madras is much better compared to otherside towards bangalore.

On Return journey, started yesterday Sunday 15th Nov at 1.30 pm and reached Bangalore at 8 pm including 30 mts break. Took Vellore-Krishnagiri route due to very heavy rains all throughout. Road conditions between Poonamalle-Sriperumbudur-Chennasamduram towards Bangalore side has lots of pot holes. Be careful with zig zag driving by several people. Traffic was high between Krishnagiri to Electronic city despite constant rains. So can imagine how it will be on 16th Monday when everyone returns to bangalore after long/festive weekend.

Overall, I would say, for next 2 months, due to rains and pot holes, better avoid Chittoor route and continue with Krishnagiri route, until rainy season is over or till January. Really there is no big saving in time at this point and the negative effect is more driving effort in bad roads.

-Ravi

Last edited by ampere : 16th November 2020 at 13:59. Reason: re-formatted
ravib is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 23:02   #3476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
and looks like we will end up with atleast 6.30 hours one way journey time on an average, unless you really time it out well or drive in really odd hours/late nights to plan entry/exit in Madras and Bangalore.
6.5 hours is very decent time Ravi, considering your start times and Diwali season. Going by my pre-CoviD odd time starts. The fastest CV Raman Nagar to T. Nagar drive which was with empty boot and no passengers was 5:45 hours starting CV Raman Nagar at 2040 hrs. Following week with full load, the same journey took 6:15 hours with a 2130 start. One of the return journey took 6:45 hours with a 2015 start.
Old 17th November 2020, 12:30   #3477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
6.5 hours is very decent time Ravi, considering your start times and Diwali season.
Haha, yes narayan sir. I meant to say , 6.5 hours is the "new normal" nowadays I don't see a way to do it in lesser time in current road & traffic conditions in either route.

I used to do door to door in 5 hours including a short break, way back in 2014/2015 via Chittoor route, from C.V.Raman Nagar to Vadapalani.
One of my friend covered Sarjapur to Poonammalle in his civic in 4 hours via Krishnagiri route, when the roads where only 4L all throughout (before 6L conversion). Things changed over time.

So was just whining Sigh!

-Ravi
Old 17th November 2020, 12:45   #3478
BHPian

Those were the days where I have left home , JP Nagar at 5.30 am, finished a meeting in Chennai (OMR) at 11.30 am, meet colleagues and do a working lunch till 2.30 pm, and still reach home at JP Nagar by 8.30 pm. Of-course, this was 2016/17 times. Can't think of doing this anymore.
Old 17th November 2020, 13:24   #3479
Senior - BHPian

It is still possible. Just that you need to travel at odd times and on a non-working day so traffic is not very high while crossing towns in between and avoid the factory buses nearing Sriperambadur.

I was able to do Electronics city toll to Poonamalle flyover in about 3.5 hrs last month. I left home at 430am and crossed Electronics City just after 5am and was at a relatives house at Beasant Nager just past 9am. I was surprised myself since I wasn't driving fast consciously. I got some empty stretches and the tolls were passed quickly and I was able to keep a good average speed between Krishnagiri till were the Chittoor highway joins.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 13:40   #3480
BHPian

I have done two BLR-CHN-BLR trips in the last 2 months and I was able to both in ~ 5 hrs 15 mins non stop starting at 5- 5:30 AM. This was from Mahadevpura to Valasaravakkam.

Electronic City Flyover to Poonamallee (Chennai bypass) was ~4 hrs all 4 times.

I have done the Chittoor route only once last year and I was put off by the bumpy road. Sad given my home is right beside the KR Puram hanging flyover so I hit the highway in like 5 mins.

Last edited by anandhsub : 17th November 2020 at 13:44. Reason: adding more info

Most Viewed