Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2022, 12:45   #3781
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

BTW, an add-on to my previous post that I forgot to mention earlier, the highway stretch between Attibelle toll and E.City (Veerasandra signal at the end of E.City flyover towards Atibelle) is now littered with new speed breakers every few kilometers. I don't remember them being there earlier and they were surely not there on the onward stretch towards Attibelle. Its like a sign saying, Hey welcome to Bangalore, the land of pointless vehicle breakers!

Mods, kindly merge this with the previous post.

Last edited by SR-71 : 4th May 2022 at 12:47.
SR-71 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 12:54   #3782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
BTW, an add-on to my previous post that I forgot to mention earlier, the highway stretch between Attibelle toll and E.City (Veerasandra signal at the end of E.City flyover towards Atibelle) is now littered with new speed breakers every few kilometers. I don't remember them being there earlier and they were surely not there on the onward stretch towards Attibelle. Its like a sign saying, Hey welcome to Bangalore, the land of pointless vehicle breakers!

Mods, kindly merge this with the previous post.
Yeah this is a new and irritating addition. Adding speed breakers onto a highway is inviting accidents. I have already seen multiple cars jump over them at high speed during initial days of install due to no presence of warning lights on the lane divider barricades. Now all of them have warning lights, but rumbling stripes would have been better.
Old 4th May 2022, 14:23   #3783
BHPian

I was driving back on Sunday night and was lucky enough to avoid the first one. Though I remember there was one even during last trip a few weeks back, I think they have added more ( I think there were around 5 to 6 in total this time). The reason I noticed the first one is the car that was ahead of me (by some distance) didn't notice it and jumped on it. Such a crazy idea on a highway and that too without proper signboards. I think I saw only one that had a sign board and that too a small one. I wonder how people who are in charge of such things are not able to anticipate this.
Old 4th May 2022, 15:01   #3784
BHPian

Yes this is hardly a 13KM stretch and it has about 5 speed breakers if I recall correctly. Add to it, the incomplete concrete lane dividers that suddenly pop up on the right side of the road, the supposedly fast lane in the highway, its a perfect recipe for disaster on a rainy night with poor visibility.

Similar dangers (minus the speed breakers) exist in the Sungvachatram - Sriperumbudur stretch where work has been happening for many months now. The roads have no lane markings and have pitch black surfaces with sharp gorges in place of median dividers.

It looks like we pay tolls to put our lives at risk!

Last edited by SR-71 : 4th May 2022 at 15:07.
SR-71 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 15:29   #3785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
the highway stretch between Attibelle toll and E.City (Veerasandra signal at the end of E.City flyover towards Atibelle) is now littered with new speed breakers every few kilometers. I don't remember them being there earlier and they were surely not there on the onward stretch towards Attibelle. Its like a sign saying, Hey welcome to Bangalore, the land of pointless vehicle breakers!
From the other thread. These speedbreakers and the concrete blocks on the "fast" lane would definitely demand and take their due - motorists' blood and metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Beware
2 speed-breakers on HOSUR ROAD NEAR NARAYANA HRUDAYALAYA on the side going towards Hosur (down-slope).
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Not just this, the ones towards Bangalore - Starting from the RTO check-post ones are dangerous I feel.

Yesterday they had closed the main carriageway and was diverting traffic through the service road/ RTO check-post entry side to paint the speed breakers there. The ideocracy of doing that on a long weekend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
There are many such speedbreakers without any conspicuous markings - those used to driving at highway speeds until Attibele will definitely be taken by surprise. I saw two rear-endings that had happened just a few minutes before I passed the stretch on 15th, Friday. Being a Friday, traffic towards Bangalore was sparse in the late evening, so speeds were probably higher.

I was keeping an eye on the traffic ahead, so I was spared of the horror of panic braking and potential rear-ending, apart from the cold-stares of the others.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 19:21   #3786
Senior - BHPian

Completed Bangalore-Madras-Bangalore trip on 3rd May and 5th May.

Onward trip on 3rd, to go towards Chrompet, took Sunguvarchatram-take right to enter SIPCOT Automotive corridor-Vallakottai-Oragadam-Vandalur-Tambaram route and the roads are excellent all throughout. May be this is faster than going all the way till Sriperumbudur-Manimangalam route and the roads are wider (except for first couple of kms).

Today in return journey, noticed that one newly constructed bridge between Kanchipuram to Kaveripakkam is opened for traffic (though there is no side walls). This is one positive update compared to my previous update 10 days back. Otherwise, its still risky to drive between Chennasamudram to Sriperumbudur post sunset in dark.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 12:12   #3787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
took Sunguvarchatram-take right to enter SIPCOT Automotive corridor-Vallakottai-Oragadam-Vandalur-Tambaram route and the roads are excellent all throughout.
Hi Ravi, could you please paste a link to a Gmaps rpute you took. It seems that, with traffic and road works, it's saner to get off NH 48 as early as possible. My destination is Kelambakkam.
Old 7th May 2022, 13:12   #3788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Hi Ravi, could you please paste a link to a Gmaps rpute you took. It seems that, with traffic and road works, it's saner to get off NH 48 as early as possible. My destination is Kelambakkam.
The route he took is what you will get on Google Maps for your destination (Kovalam).

Sunguvarchatram-Sriperumbudur Sipcot-Vallakottai-Oragadam-Padappai-Mannivakkam-Outer Ring Road-Vandalur Zoo-Mambakkam-Padur-Kelambakkam-Link Road-Kovalam.

Vallakottai-Mannivakkam you should be able to do 80.
Vandalur Zoo-Padur is about 70-80 with enroute suburban localities
Padur-Kelambakkam is all-time busy except early mornings or late evenings
(OMR-ECR) Link Road is slow road with some tall speed breakers. If you have low GC, this is one stretch you need to be careful on.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 18:00   #3789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post

Sunguvarchatram-Sriperumbudur Sipcot-Vallakottai-Oragadam-Padappai-Mannivakkam-Outer Ring Road-Vandalur Zoo-Mambakkam-Padur-Kelambakkam-Link Road-Kovalam.
Thanks, Attaching screenshots of what I think you mean, and its suggested by Gmaps. But Does one have to go to Padur? It seems about 3 kms North of Kelambakkam.
Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-screenshot_2022050717552488_3d9111e2d3171bf4882369f490c087b4.jpg

Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-screenshot_2022050717554712_3d9111e2d3171bf4882369f490c087b4.jpg
Old 7th May 2022, 18:41   #3790
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, Attaching screenshots of what I think you mean, and its suggested by Gmaps. But Does one have to go to Padur? It seems about 3 kms North of Kelambakkam.
Is your destination Kelambakkam or Kovalam?

- The map that you had attached shows all the way till Kovalam.
- You don't have to come to Padur. You can just follow the directions in the map and it will take you to Kelambakkam.
searacer932 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 23:12   #3791
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, Attaching screenshots
Yes, that is the route. Google Maps itself will take you through
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2022, 19:40   #3792
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I think Narayan did mention earlier. There is no need to take these interior roads (one that Ravi took) once you are on to SH120. I tried it too last week. Its a brilliant option no doubt. Just be on the SH120 4-lane, hit fork all the way to the Walaja-Vandalur 4-lane. Turn left towards Vandalur. I think its way-way better. Leave the road construction part that it avoids. Its more blissful just to get away from the awful truck traffic on the main highway. Just for that alone, I would prefer this.

Thanks a lot Narayan. Its was great find indeed especially for folks heading to South Chennai.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 06:29   #3793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think Narayan did mention earlier. There is no need to take these interior roads (one that Ravi took) once you are on to SH120. I tried it too last week. Its a brilliant option no doubt. Just be on the SH120 4-lane, hit fork all the way to the Walaja-Vandalur 4-lane. Turn left towards Vandalur. I think its way-way better. Leave the road construction part that it avoids. Its more blissful just to get away from the awful truck traffic on the main highway. Just for that alone, I would prefer this.
Appreciate your inputs, but I'm a complete noob in this part of the country, so could you please send me a screenshot or a Gmaps link to what you are suggesting.
Old 9th May 2022, 07:25   #3794
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Appreciate your inputs, but I'm a complete noob in this part of the country, so could you please send me a screenshot or a Gmaps link to what you are suggesting.

Here is the route: link

Name:  chennai_bypass.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  101.0 KB
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 10:17   #3795
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What me and Ravi have done are slightly different variants. I did SH120 all through-SH48 (the map ampere has posted) and posted my experience here (Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries), Ravi did last week is the default Google Maps route through Sunguvarchatram-Sriperumbudur Sipcot-Vallakottai-Oragadam.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks