Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2022, 20:20   #3871
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Its much slower than the Arcot-Cheyyar-Uthiramerur-Bukkathurai route man. You'll hardly touch 60-70 in Tiruttani-Thirumazhisai stretch and its annoying with 2-wheeler traffic. Arcot-Bukkathurai atleast doesn't have traffic. Its still not recommended because, it takes 30-40 min more and its not really perfect alternative either.

It is best to do NH4 till Sunguvarchatram and take the detour from there.

Walajabad-Kanchipuram has been worked on since early this year. Unless that work is done, I wouldn't advise going through that route.
Yes, i agree. Just giving alternate option for his consideration because he was worried about bad roads more than time, but not a preferred/recommended option.

-Ravi
Old 2nd August 2022, 11:33   #3872
BHPian

What's the best route to Sriharikota from Bangalore ?

Via Chittoor/Tirupathi/Nellore or via Hosur/Vellore/Chennai ?

I am planning to register and attend the rocket launch on 7th Aug 2022.

I will be starting from ECity area.

Please share your thoughts.

Last edited by chaitanyakrish : 2nd August 2022 at 11:45.
Old 2nd August 2022, 11:33   #3873
BHPian

Any idea why Gmaps suggesting the below route for Bangalore->Chennai.

Any road block in Vellore/Kanchipuram stretch apart from road widening work between Walaja-Sriperumbudur ?
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-bangychennai.jpg  

Old 2nd August 2022, 19:02   #3874
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post
Any idea why Gmaps suggesting the below route for Bangalore->Chennai.
This always shows up. Just that it is slower by 1-3 hours than the regular route depending on when you are looking.

It is not really an option at all.

If you really want to try something new (and part of South Madras) and avoid the WIP sections, you can try Bukkathurai-Uthiramerur-Vandavasi-Cheyyar. It is slower by 30 min atleast than going through the WIP sections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
What's the best route to Sriharikota from Bangalore ?
Chittoor-Tirupati-Naidupeta-SHAR is common. From E-City the choice is between Krishnagiri-Kuppam-Palamaner and Vellore-Katpadi-Chittoor. The latter seems to be faster by 20 mins according to Google, am guessing the diversions are now fixed from what it was a year back. I've done Krishnagiri-Venkatagirikota couple of years back and was good with some minor diversions.

Bagalur-Malur was in very bad shape. Am told Chintamani route is even worser, haven't tried personally though.

Last edited by narayans80 : 2nd August 2022 at 19:05.
Old 18th August 2022, 16:44   #3875
BHPian

Hi All,

We will be travelling to Chennai next week for a family function. First time ever to Chennai, actually after all these years!!
Since Chennai provides this option of beach side properties, just wanted to take it easy and have booked an airbnb property on ECR road close to Kovalam beach, even though the venue is at Nanganallur.

Most probably will be taking Chittoor route after reading the route updates by @ravib. Have also noted down excellent recommendation by @ampere / @narayans80 regarding Sunguvarchadram - SH120 route to reach Kovalam. Suits me well as I prefer peaceful driving. Thank you sir's in advance !

Couple of questions -
1. Gmaps shows this route to the venue https://goo.gl/maps/spVRS9jwpw5avxcS8 . Kindly verify and suggest if there are better alternatives. I am not stressed about time taken, but would prefer to avoid congested roads within the city.

2. Seems like parking is challenging at the venue. Any suggestions for safe parking in that area, if any one is familiar with the locality ?

3. Since airbnb property doesnt provide meals, need suggestions for good eateries around Kovalam beach for typical South Indian veg food. Gmaps suggestions are not exciting. Will not mind driving some distance for good food.

4. If we have to complete the Chennai experience by visiting Pondy Bazaar, T Nagar, and the famous temples - Kapaleeshwarar Temple, Parthasarathy Temple, may be we will get few hours late afternoon for this, which is the closest place I can park the car safely, perhaps a mall or hotel and take a cab/auto to go around these places? While we are at this place, please recommend must-try eateries. Sangeethas, Ratna Cafe are some names I got.

5. Also, planning to visit Mahabalipuram one of the days and if any enthusiasm is still left, Kanchipuram on the way back to BLR Dont want to do too many things here. Just one or two iconic temples and good food. Similar question regarding parking as above. Kindly advise. ( I havent studied the threads for these places yet)

Last edited by mankuthimma : 18th August 2022 at 16:59.
mankuthimma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 17:44   #3876
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankuthimma View Post
Couple of questions
1) Google Maps suggested route seems fine with almost 98% of the distance being wide city roads. Kovalam area is known for narrow roads and depending on where the beach house is, that could be the only narrow roads.

2) Not very familiar with interiors of Nanganallur, someone else can chip in hopefully. But the venue does seem to have only roadside parking option.

3) Again, not very familiar with food scene in ECR below Neelankarai. Why not try a twilight dinner in one of those fancy resorts? (Taj Fisherman's Cove and Sheraton resorts are nearby). Worst case, you can get to Padur or Navalur in OMR which has plenty of food options but that means crossing the infamous Kovalam toll and back with long queue of vehicles depending on the timeof the day. Good news is that thanks to Chess Olympiad, now you can skip Kelambakkam town traffic on the way there with a new bypass road.

4) Panagal Park has a parking lot and Corporation also has a multi-level car parking facility in Pondy Bazaar. Try Pakwan for vegetarian food in the area but it will have long waiting time if on weekend with no appointments.

5) Mahabalipuram - if it's a weekday, just head straight to the Shore Temple parking lot just across the Shore Temple entrance. If it's on weekend, it will be a madhouse in general in the evenings and have to hunt for roadside parking in the town. Kancheepuram - no experience, someone else can suggest.

Have a good and fun trip!

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 18th August 2022 at 17:48.
Yieldway17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 00:08   #3877
Senior - BHPian

Having a need to drive up to Chennai this weekend. Is the usual route really bad? Vellore - Sriperumbuthur - Poonamalle - Kathipara - Adyar. A little confused with reading the recent updates. I know of the multiple diversions due to road work when traveled in last December. Anything worsened since then?

Is any diversions in and around Kanchipuram - Sriperumbudur worth it or stick to the usual route?

Start time around 12:30pm from Bangalore.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 19th August 2022 at 00:10.
Old 19th August 2022, 10:27   #3878
BHPian

Not sure if this is posted already. There is a new Woodys on the left side while coming from chennai right after mulbagal toll at Tamaka. Huge one and clean rest rooms.

Google maps location is here
prabhuferrari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 10:44   #3879
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
We will be travelling to Chennai next week for a family function. First time ever to Chennai, actually after all these years!!
Since Chennai provides this option of beach side properties, just wanted to take it easy and have booked an airbnb property on ECR road close to Kovalam beach, even though the venue is at Nanganallur.
Not that I can add too much to your questions. Mostly Chennai related questions, only locals can answer better. Also note apart from AirBNB there are many good hotels close to Mahabalipuram as well.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 11:53   #3880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
1)
Good news is that thanks to Chess Olympiad, now you can skip Kelambakkam town traffic on the way there with a new bypass road.
Thank you so much for these pointers. very helpful indeed !

Where exactly is this bypass road? I have plotted the route from Sunguvarchatram to the homestay. Is gmaps able to route through this new road?

https://goo.gl/maps/C1VGjF4W3wu1xqm86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Not that I can add too much to your questions. Mostly Chennai related questions, only locals can answer better. Also note apart from AirBNB there are many good hotels close to Mahabalipuram as well.
Thank you so much sir for offering to help. I have used your gmaps link and extended it to the location provided by the host now. Please check if it looks fine.
Old 19th August 2022, 13:15   #3881
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you so much for these pointers. very helpful indeed !

Where exactly is this bypass road? I have plotted the route from Sunguvarchatram to the homestay. Is gmaps able to route through this new road?

https://goo.gl/maps/C1VGjF4W3wu1xqm86
This is the new bypass. Coming from Vandalur side this new bypass will not be of much help. But will help in traversing between northern parts of OMR and Kovalam.

Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-screenshot_20220819130647_1_1.png

Google Maps yet to route through this road but got confirmed reports in other local groups and forums that this connectivity is now there.
Old 19th August 2022, 13:17   #3882
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Start time around 12:30pm from Bangalore.
1230 pm from Bangalore will be very bad timing. You'll land in peak weekend 6-8 pm evening traffic. Best to reach the destination 11 am - 4 pm after that things clear after 9 pm.

Route suggestions were made for a similar destination here (Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries). You can read the posts before and after to get a better understanding.

Quote:
Chennai next week for a family function
1. Route suggested itself is good except at ECR link road at Sholinganallur. Go all the way till OMR take the left and take a U-turn. There are other choices, but this fairly straightforward with wide roads and less confusing turns.
2. Not familiar with Nanganallur, so can't comment.
3. There are plenty of eateries along ECR.
4. Pondy Bazaar has a separate parking building. It will take time though. If you want to use roadside parking, you should visit by 1000-1030 am on a weekday, that's because most shops open at 1100. I wouldn't bother taking a car near Kapali Temple. Closest mall(s) I can think of are Citi Centre or Express Avenue.
5. Mahabs is the easiest, basically 20-30 km from Kovalam. On a weekday, parking shouldn't be a problem.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 16:20   #3883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
crossing the infamous Kovalam toll and back with long queue of vehicles depending on the timeof the day.
The last time I went this way (about a year ago), all the ECR & OMR toll booths including this one were accepting Fastags and passing through them wasn't a hassle at all.

To the OP: Since you are staying on the ECR, you might want to catch a movie at Prarthana.

Last edited by binand : 19th August 2022 at 16:23.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 19:43   #3884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
The last time I went this way (about a year ago), all the ECR & OMR toll booths including this one were accepting Fastags and passing through them wasn't a hassle at all.
Even 3 weeks back, spent around 20 mins waiting in a long queue at Kovalam toll on the way to Mahabalipuram.
Old 19th August 2022, 21:52   #3885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even 3 weeks back, spent around 20 mins waiting in a long queue at Kovalam toll on the way to Mahabalipuram.
Even my experience is similar to binand. The most I've waited in OMR/ECR tolls is Kanathur on a Saturday.

Given the source and destination, I've felt the Akkarai-Sholinganallur link is much better than the Kovalam-Kelmbakkam. You don't have to deal with massive speed breakers, bad driving. Instead of Kelambakkam traffic, you'll have Sholinganallur junction traffic, so there isn't much to choose there.

Most Viewed