Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2011, 11:31   #526
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Hi - Can someone pls guide me as to how I can reach Dr. Radhakrishna Road once i hit chennai city. I will be driving down today afternoon from Bangalore via the GQ route and would need some detailed help to reach this place.
That depends on the time of the day you enter Madras.

I'd prefer the following route from NH4: NH4 - Poonamalle - Porur - Kathipara Junction - Guindy - Saidapet - Mount Road - Gemini Flyover - Cathedral Road.

See Map:
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-poonamallecathedralroad.jpg  

Old 5th October 2011, 11:38   #527
BHPian

Another alternative is continue on Poonamalee Road all the way till Anna arch and reach Dr. Radhakrishnan Road (Cathedral Road) via Nungambakkam. Either way, be prepared for Super Heavy traffic which would be less than normal considering today is a holiday.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-cathedral-road.jpg  

Old 5th October 2011, 11:56   #528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
That depends on the time of the day you enter Madras.

I'd prefer the following route from NH4: NH4 - Poonamalle - Porur - Kathipara Junction - Guindy - Saidapet - Mount Road - Gemini Flyover - Cathedral Road.

See Map:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Another alternative is continue on Poonamalee Road all the way till Anna arch and reach Dr. Radhakrishnan Road (Cathedral Road) via Nungambakkam. Either way, be prepared for Super Heavy traffic which would be less than normal considering today is a holiday.
Thanks. I plan to leave around 3PM from Bangalore, and am not sure how much time I will take to reach chennai. How much time do you think will be required to reach this place from Poonamalle given the traffic?
Old 5th October 2011, 12:08   #529
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I plan to leave around 3PM from Bangalore, and am not sure how much time I will take to reach chennai. How much time do you think will be required to reach this place from Poonamalle given the traffic?
If the traffic is moving but slowly, it should take around 90 minutes from Poonamalle to Cathedral Road (via Porur); if the traffic is stuck, add another 60 minutes. Porur junction & Kathipara / Guindy bridge are the two places where you may feel as bottlenecks.

That apart, on NH4, Sriperumbudhur to Poonamalle might have lots of truck traffic, that will bring down your overall average speed.
Old 5th October 2011, 13:48   #530
BHPian

It also depends on where you want to go in Radhakrishnan Salai. You can also try Porur-Guindy-Saidapet-Nandanam-TTK Road-Radhakrishnan Salai.
Old 5th October 2011, 15:19   #531
BHPian

Guidance required on the ideal route to ECR - would it be the turning before Sriperumbudur, or the road from poonamalee?
Old 5th October 2011, 15:25   #532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuraliR View Post
Guidance required on the ideal route to ECR - would it be the turning before Sriperumbudur, or the road from poonamalee?
Where exactly in ECR do you want to go?
Old 5th October 2011, 15:30   #533
BHPian

Quote:
Where exactly in ECR do you want to go?
Taj Fisherman's Cove.

@tempelhof : I am more concerned about the quality of road, since travel includes family with toddler :-).

Last edited by MuraliR : 5th October 2011 at 15:39.
Old 5th October 2011, 15:35   #534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuraliR View Post
Taj Fisherman's Cove
See Map - this will save you tons of time - not sure about the quality of the road though.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-nh4ecr.jpg  

Old 5th October 2011, 17:06   #535
BHPian

Quote:
If the traffic is moving but slowly, it should take around 90 minutes from Poonamalle to Cathedral Road (via Porur); if the traffic is stuck, add another 60 minutes. Porur junction & Kathipara / Guindy bridge are the two places where you may feel as bottlenecks.

That apart, on NH4, Sriperumbudhur to Poonamalle might have lots of truck traffic, that will bring down your overall average speed.
Are you saying it will take 2 hours to cover a distance of 30 kms or so from Poonamalle to chennai? I cannot believe it. So basically we are talking about an overall time of atleast 6 hours from bangalore to chennai right?

Sorry - I could not leave this afternoon as i got stuck at work. I will be leaving tomorrow early morning.
Old 5th October 2011, 18:15   #536
BHPian

Quote:
Are you saying it will take 2 hours to cover a distance of 30 kms or so from Poonamalle to chennai?
Why should Chennai be better than Bangalore when it comes to traffic? They are equally worse
Doing Chennai - Bangalore in lesser times depends on the time of journey. Since tomorrow is a weekday suggest you time your entry to Chennai beyond 10 am so that there is less madness on roads. But then this will entail facing traffic everywhere on the way.
Old 5th October 2011, 18:36   #537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you saying it will take 2 hours to cover a distance of 30 kms or so from Poonamalle to chennai?
Actually if you drove in today, there would be much less traffic due to Dussera leave for most here. I live 5-6 km away from Radhakrishnan Salai, it takes me like 60-70 min if i avoid peak hour traffic. Get in after 1030 pm, you'll be in by 30-40 min. Tomorrow morning means you'll drive into office traffic.

I use the same route Templehof said above, once you cross Courtyard Mariott/Hyatt on Anna Salai, keep left. The road will have a left curve, you'll see a flyover ahead (Anna/Gemini flyover). Once you execute the curve, you'll see a Benz showroom and a lane adjacent to it, take that left, keep right, take right at the signal, go below the flyover, at the signal take right, this is Radhakrishnan Salai/Cathedral Road.
Old 5th October 2011, 19:13   #538

Hi Everybody,

I plan to leave Bangalore from KR Puram market area at around 5 am. I plan to take the old madras road to Chennai (Shenoy Nagar). I calculated that it saves me about 30 kms. My question is, is it worth taking that road - in terms of road quality, traffic and safety.

If this does not work out, I will take the tried and tested route via Hosur.

Thanks
Old 5th October 2011, 20:07   #539
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry - I could not leave this afternoon as i got stuck at work. I will be leaving tomorrow early morning.
You can also try going through this route
Poonamalee - Porur - Guindy - Adyar - Santhome - RK Salai

Traffic in all the city roads is moderate between 11 AM and 3 PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by araman2 View Post
Hi Everybody,

I plan to leave Bangalore from KR Puram market area at around 5 am. I plan to take the old madras road to Chennai (Shenoy Nagar). I calculated that it saves me about 30 kms. My question is, is it worth taking that road - in terms of road quality, traffic and safety.

If this does not work out, I will take the tried and tested route via Hosur.

Thanks
NH4 (OMR) through Kolar/Mulbagal/Chittoor has not been 4 laned between Mulbagal & Walaja. Roads are good in almost all places even in the 2 laned part. Also you can save more on Tolls.
ramanan.skr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2011, 12:05   #540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by araman2 View Post
I plan to take the old madras road to Chennai (Shenoy Nagar). I calculated that it saves me about 30 kms. My question is, is it worth taking that road - in terms of road quality, traffic and safety
There is no issue regarding safety in Old Madras Road. If you are comfortable driving 2-laners with moderate traffic, go for it, otherwise take the good old Hosur Road. The Vellore and Chittoor route join at Ranipet flyover (110 km from Madras).

If you are doing this on a weekday, you'll run into peak office traffic in Madras if you leave at 5am from Bangalore.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed