Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2012, 13:29   #676
Team-BHP Support

re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
It means after Walajpet will the NH4 directly take me to Ponnamalle high road. I need to know at which junction(name of the junction) i should turn left to reach Ambattur.

Thanks in advance.
Yes keep continuing on NH4 this will lead you to the Ponamallee flyover. Go beyond and you should hit the NH45 Chennai by-pass road.

I dont know what that circle is called. But the by-pass road is fairly prominent.
Chennai folks would be able to throw more light.
Old 7th February 2012, 14:23   #677
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Yes keep continuing on NH4 this will lead you to the Ponamallee flyover. Go beyond and you should hit the NH45 Chennai by-pass road.

I dont know what that circle is called. But the by-pass road is fairly prominent.
I am not very sure but I think you will be able to view the MGR university on the left and you will have to take a left at that junction/roundabout to reach Ambattur. Anyone else who knows, please confirm the same.
Old 7th February 2012, 14:48   #678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
I am not very sure but I think you will be able to view the MGR university on the left and you will have to take a left at that junction/roundabout to reach Ambattur. Anyone else who knows, please confirm the same.
There will be prominent circle. This is next to the MGR university. But suggest you keep the speed slow since you need to take a ramp entry to the by-pass road.

Once on the by pass road. Around 5 km down the road the Exit to be taken to Ambattur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

I am not sure if Poonamalle Flyover needs to be taken. The by-pass road is left to the flyover.
Marlon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2012, 14:56   #679
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon View Post
I am not sure if Poonamalle Flyover needs to be taken. The by-pass road is left to the flyover.

Yes, the flyover should not be taken. It is for getting into Ponamallee main road.
The by-pass is to the left. Thanks for mentioning that.

I just meant to spot the flyover and not to go onto it.
Old 7th February 2012, 16:01   #680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
It means after Walajpet will the NH4 directly take me to Ponnamalle high road. I need to know at which junction(name of the junction) i should turn left to reach Ambattur.
Go along NH4 till Poonamallee, but skip the flyover that takes you to the town. Instead, take the road (on the left) that stays at ground level and continues as NH4/Poonamallee bypass. It is easy to miss this one - so keep an eye open for the board announcing Nazarathpet (the locality just before Poonamallee).

Continue along the NH4/Poonamallee bypass for about 6-8km and you will reach a major interchange at Maduravoyal. The road that crosses NH4 above ground is the Chennai bypass. Again, don't miss the access ramp (since if you miss it, it is a bit difficult to get back on track). Get onto Chennai bypass northbound (towards Ambattur).

After a few more kilometres (I think about 5km) the bypass has a flyover - the first one after you hit the bypass - to cross NH205. Take the exit here that stays on the ground level to reach Ambattur proper.

Google Maps link: NH 4 to Chennai Tiruvallur High Rd/NH 205 - Google Maps
Old 7th February 2012, 16:10   #681
Senior - BHPian

Apart from MGR University, Chennai Bypass is the one big road that goes perpendicular to NH4 once you enter Madras suburban limits and has interchanges to it. The area is Maduravoyal where you'll find the Chennai bypass. It will easily take 20-30 min from the time you take Poonamalee bypass. Once on it, Ambattur is less than 5-10 min drive.
Old 14th February 2012, 10:52   #682
BHPian

Did a solo ride on my Bullet 350 from blr to chn. Started from Ulsoor at around 530 am and reached Guindy at around 1:15 pm. The ride was peppered with lot of short breaks - infact one every 50 kms.
Took the Hosur-Krishnagiri-Ambur route. Roads were good till say 15 kms to Poonamallee flyover and there was a bad stretch just before Hosur as well.

cheers
Old 15th February 2012, 10:56   #683
BHPian

Hi, I am planning to go to Chennai from Bangalore on Feb 18th morning. I live in HSR layout, and would be taking BLR-hosur-Krishnagiri-Vellore-Chennai route. Considering the heavy fog in the mornings (at least from what I see in Bangalore), I am not sure when to start. I would like to start early (by 6 AM), which means I will be doing hosur-Krishnagiri route during the time of heavy fog (i.e. 6.30 to 7.30 AM). Is that an easy section to navigate through heavy fog??
Old 15th February 2012, 11:25   #684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagvasireddy View Post
Is that an easy section to navigate through heavy fog??
I'm not sure about the heavy fog. It never has become as foggy as say New Delhi right now. But 6 AM is a perfect time to leave. And by the time you are say in Hosur, 45 Mins to 1 Hour from departure im sure the fog would have reduced and progress can be made.
Old 15th February 2012, 12:04   #685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagvasireddy View Post
Hi, I am planning to go to Chennai from Bangalore on Feb 18th morning. I live in HSR layout, and would be taking BLR-hosur-Krishnagiri-Vellore-Chennai route. Considering the heavy fog in the mornings (at least from what I see in Bangalore), I am not sure when to start. I would like to start early (by 6 AM), which means I will be doing hosur-Krishnagiri route during the time of heavy fog (i.e. 6.30 to 7.30 AM). Is that an easy section to navigate through heavy fog??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post
I'm not sure about the heavy fog. It never has become as foggy as say New Delhi right now. But 6 AM is a perfect time to leave. And by the time you are say in Hosur, 45 Mins to 1 Hour from departure im sure the fog would have reduced and progress can be made.
In fact, you could leave even earlier - fog has never been an issue in this stretch, be it December, January or February.
Old 15th February 2012, 12:42   #686
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
In fact, you could leave even earlier - fog has never been an issue in this stretch, be it December, January or February.
Indeed. I do Bangalore-Chennai-Bangalore routinely (at least one return trip a month round the year) and have faced fog issue only in the Chennai-Bangalore direction. I leave home (Marathahalli/Kottivakkam) usually around 5 AM (plus or minus 30 minutes).
Old 15th February 2012, 12:52   #687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Indeed. I do Bangalore-Chennai-Bangalore routinely (at least one return trip a month round the year) and have faced fog issue only in the Chennai-Bangalore direction. I leave home (Marathahalli/Kottivakkam) usually around 5 AM (plus or minus 30 minutes).
Ditto here, except for the frequency (Whitefield/Palavakkam). Never faced this issue.
Old 15th February 2012, 13:48   #688
Team-BHP Support

Apart from Krishsnagiri, once in a while I intersect minimal fog around Yelagiri hills.
But as said that is minimal.
Old 15th February 2012, 14:35   #689
BHPian

@Ampere, Tempelhof, binand, ford5 - Thank you guys
Old 24th February 2012, 14:13   #690
BHPian

Did Bangalore-Chennai-Bangalore round trip last weekend. Did the same route both ways: Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Vellore-Sriperambadur-Chennai (aprox. 330 KM).

Bangalore-Hosur stretch was OK, Hosur-Krishnagiri is little slow because of narrow roads in a hilly terrain. Krishagiri-Sriperambadur was a breeze. The time taken inside Chennai or Bangalore depends on the time of the day. E-city to Sriperambadur can be easily done in 4 Hrs with a short stop for refreshments.

Good choice of restaurants (incl. McD) between Hosur and Krishnagiri. Very few dhabas or highway restaurants between Krishnagiri and Chennai, but one can stop at Vaniyambadi or Vellore or Ambur for food.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks