Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2012, 15:26   #691
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Did chennai-dharmapuri-chennai day before.
Roads are very uneven between vellore and all the way to Sriperumbudur.Even in a scorpio i could feel the undulations so much, cant imagine on sedans.
Why do we have shellout huge toll for such bad roads?

cheers
Old 24th February 2012, 16:36   #692
BHPian

A friend of mine has interview with Ashok Leyland, Ennore, Chennai at 10AM this Sunday. He will be arriving Bangalore on Saturday. We plan to leave Bangalore by 3 AM. Is 7 hours enough time to reach Ennore from Bangalore. Also what should be the route once I reach Sriperumbadur?
Old 24th February 2012, 18:57   #693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by perseus View Post
A friend of mine has interview with Ashok Leyland, Ennore, Chennai at 10AM this Sunday. He will be arriving Bangalore on Saturday. We plan to leave Bangalore by 3 AM. Is 7 hours enough time to reach Ennore from Bangalore. Also what should be the route once I reach Sriperumbadur?
In normal course of events, 7 hours is sufficient (it might go down to the wire, though). But I will not recommend playing it so close for something as crucial as an interview - what if a sudden demonstration or accident or anything else slowed you down by a couple of hours?

My suggestion would be to ask your friend to fly/train directly to Chennai, have a good night's sleep and take the interview fresh and rosy

As for a route suggestion, just take the Chennai bypass to Puzhal and pick the road leading to Ennore (Manali High Road/Kathivakkam High Road).
Old 24th February 2012, 19:40   #694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post

My suggestion would be to ask your friend to fly/train directly to Chennai, have a good night's sleep and take the interview fresh and rosy
I know. But he will be flying from Lucknow and he can not leave office before 5 on Saturday. There are no direct flights to Chennai from Lucknow. So as of now this is the only option.
Old 24th February 2012, 19:44   #695
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That should be fine.You should take about 5 hours to come till Ponamallee.
Then it depends on the traffic. However Sat should be fine.

Most importantly please be aware of diversions in Vellore and some diversions
on the highway. In dark hours it may difficult to spot them. Hence high speed driving should be
very well controlled. Since the roads are dug up for 6 lane on sides, you should take care when you are on the edges.
Old 25th February 2012, 23:52   #696
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would say, leave much early like 130-2 and enter the city like 6-7ish. Binand's already mention the route, so that you can take your time and find the place at a relaxed pace. If possible crash for a few hours inside the car.
Old 26th February 2012, 00:41   #697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Since the roads are dug up for 6 lane on sides, you should take care when you are on the edges.
True. Did the route 2 weeks back (Chennai-Krishnagiri) during night. It was really scary at the edges due to the six laning work.
Old 26th February 2012, 21:37   #698
Team-BHP Support

Another problem is the road widening work on the hill stretch on the Krishnagiri-Hosur section for 6-lane.
The traffic coming from Krishnagiri is clogged to a single lane on this section through the hill.
Need to be aware of this aspect as well.

Last edited by ampere : 26th February 2012 at 21:47.
Old 26th February 2012, 22:07   #699
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Another problem is the road widening work on the hill stretch on the Krishnagiri-Hosur section for 6-lane.
The traffic coming from Krishnagiri is clogged to a single lane on this section through the hill.
Need to be aware of this aspect as well.
This is worrying more to me. I will doing Chennai-Bangalore during end of March. I am planning to take this route. Should I need to consider the other alternative? My destination is Madikeri.
Old 26th February 2012, 23:19   #700
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
This is worrying more to me. I will doing Chennai-Bangalore during end of March. I am planning to take this route. Should I need to consider the other alternative? My destination is Madikeri.
Nothing to worry. Day drive is preferable. I was on this stretch few hours
back. Its just that folks behind the wheel have lower patience and tolerance.
Every one wants to creep into the lane and be the first to get out.
(Its the section around Shoolagiri)

The other thing to watch out for on the Hosur Krishnagiri section is what I call the race of the Dinosaurs !
Two heavy trucks trying to outrun each other and in the process hogging the road.

On at 40km/h and the winner at 40.5 km/h!

Last edited by ampere : 26th February 2012 at 23:20.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2012, 16:39   #701
Senior - BHPian

Was travelling from Coimbatore-Hyderabad yesterday.
At the Attibele toll plaza I told the check post guy that I am not taking the elevated highway towards Banglore and I am going to Sarjapur the guy did not charge me and allowed me pass through.
My route was Sarjapur-Whitefeild-Budigere-Devanahalli to bypass Banglore.
gajadonga is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2012, 15:06   #702
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
I am not taking the elevated highway towards Banglore and I am going to Sarjapur the guy did not charge me and allowed me pass through.
You must be lucky :-) The elevated toll-way has a separate charge, remember it to be around INR 4x. The Attibele toll gate is not for the elevated highway and is for the NH stretch till Silk Board. I guess the toll-attender might have misunderstood you to be a local and let you off. Anyways, you could save INR 15.
Electric is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2012, 12:39   #703
BHPian

I would like to know if anyone has tried the Bangalore-Kolar-Chitoor-Thamaraikulam-Sholinghur -Tiruttani-Tiruvallur-Chennai route?

The reason is for a trip to Tiruvallur and Tiruttani. Distance wise google maps says this is 331 kms(From sahakar nagar north bangalore to Saligramam chennai). Been hearing that NH7 from Hosur to Krishnagiri is not that good nowadays due to road widening. So thinking of alternate routes

The routes I have tried so far are

1. Bangalore-Hosur - Vaniyambadi -Pallikonda-Ranipet-Chennai (Fantastic till the road widening happened)
2. Bangalore-KR Puram-Kolar-Palamner-Ranipet-Chennai(Excellent except for Mulbagal to Ranipet)
3. Bangalore - KR Puram -Kolar -Palamner - Gudiyatam - Pallikonda-Ranipet-Chennai(Good scenic one from Palamner to Gudiyattam via hills)
4. Bangalore - Devanahalli - Vijayapura - Kolar - Ranipet -Chennai(Makes sense for people in North Bangalore if you want to avoid traffic till KR Puram and nice road between devanahalli-Kolar)

So wanted to check how the Chitoor-Sholingur-Tirutani route is Tirutani-Triuvalur should be ok as its the main chennai-tirupati route.
Old 20th March 2012, 12:44   #704
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
So wanted to check how the Chitoor-Sholingur-Tirutani route is Tirutani-Triuvalur should be ok as its the main chennai-tirupati route.
Here is the latest on Bangalore Tirutanni:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...tirutanni.html
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2012, 12:46   #705
BHPian

Did the usual GQ route last weekend.

1. Many patches, especially from Sriperumbudur to Vellore stretch.

2. At least two diversions.

3. Looks like some bridge is under construction near Vellore.

Otherwise traffic was mild enough to do a constant 120-130.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks