Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2012, 17:57   #766
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The best option is to hit NICE road from silk board. Lots work on Mysore road ORR junction.

But instead of coming to KR Puram you can get on to SH35 which is Varthur road. Drive to Sarjapur and there on drive to Attibele which is on Hosur. There you can get on to NICE road and take the Mysore road exit.
I believe the drive will be during late night with an evening start from Chennai. So, is the diversion to Varthur/Sarjapur really required?
Maybe, Í would have done this if it is late night:
1) continuing straight till I see Metro line overhead (NGEF junction)
2) In the 2nd junction (just after SV Road Metro station), take left onto Indiranagar 100 Feet road. Basically, take the same curve here which overhead Metrol line also takes.
3) Continue straight till dead-end (means cross Indiranagar flyover, Sony world etc. and go till Madiwala Underpass/Masjid/Ayyappa temple)
4) Take left here and join the main carriage-way(viz. Hosur Road) that comes out of the underpass
5) Continue straight, cross SilkBoard flyover, DONT take elevated road but go on the main road below the same
6) Continue till I see NICE Road overhead but below the elevated road
7) Next immediate signal/junction, take right and get onto the service road immediately for the up-entry ramp of NICE Road
8) Take NICE Road till Mysore Road exit, crossing the Bannerghata road at the ground level and no other intersections !

Just wondering whether this will be the fastest route late in the night !

Last edited by ajithbr : 20th April 2012 at 17:59.
Old 20th April 2012, 18:14   #767
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulZire View Post
I am driving to chennai tomorow morning, my destination is Medavaakam. can someone suggest a better way to skip city.
My brother suggested taking the chennai bypass in madhuravayal and reach Tambaram and from there to Medavaakam. is there any other better way to take ?
There are two options

1. take right after NOKIA towards ORAGADAM/VALLAM,you can ask for Renault Nissan road once you NOKIA and people will guide you,once you reach oragadam junction (say around 5-8kms after taking right) you will see apollo tyres in your left and you need to take left there and travel 15-20km and you will reach vandalur GST road from there you take left and reach tambaram.

From tambaram medavakkam is say 4-6 kms

2.like your brother suggested you can take Chennai bye pass from maduravoyal and get out of it in tambaram and reach medavakkam

In the first option you will never have traffic in second option you need to drive thru traffic till maduravoyal.

If you want to have a glimpse of Renault Nissan, Apollo Tyres & Daimler Benz and Global Automotive Research Centre then take route one and i am sure you will enjoy the wide roads,you wont have traffic also as it is a saturday

Here is the link for maphttp://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr=...ra=ls&t=m&z=12

Enjoy the drive !

Last edited by joshguy : 20th April 2012 at 18:18. Reason: added map
joshguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2012, 01:17   #768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
There are two options

1. take right after NOKIA towards ORAGADAM/VALLAM,you can ask for Renault Nissan road once you NOKIA and people will guide you,once you reach oragadam junction (say around 5-8kms after taking right) you will see apollo tyres in your left and you need to take left there and travel 15-20km and you will reach vandalur GST road from there you take left and reach tambaram.
+1 to this. You need to look for Saint Gobain factory and then Nokia (in SIPCOT). The board on highway points to this road as Chengal pattu. Barring a short section near Oragadam (and near Nokia), the stretch was neat. From this point, Tambaram is ~40 KMs (and much cheaper). Recommend this anyday!

Happy drive!
Old 22nd April 2012, 17:16   #769
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
I believe the drive will be during late night with an evening start from Chennai. So, is the diversion to Varthur/Sarjapur really required?
Maybe, Í would have done this if it is late night:
6) Continue till I see NICE Road overhead but below the elevated road
7) Next immediate signal/junction, take right and get onto the service road immediately for the up-entry ramp of NICE Road
8) Take NICE Road till Mysore Road exit, crossing the Bannerghata road at the ground level and no other intersections !

Just wondering whether this will be the fastest route late in the night !
To get onto NICE road you do not need to make a right turn at the signal, there is an up ramp on the left hand side also from the service road. On the service road you can see PES College and immediately there is a left turn onto the up ramp.

Also, if this drive is in the late night hours, one can also consider driving right through the city to reach Mysore Road via Town Hall/Sirsi Circle flyover. However, I also remember reading about some maintenance work happening on the flyover so there may be diversions and confusing if you're not familiar
Old 23rd April 2012, 15:47   #770
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
To get onto NICE road you do not need to make a right turn at the signal, there is an up ramp on the left hand side also from the service road. On the service road you can see PES College and immediately there is a left turn onto the up ramp.
To take that ramp on the service road, you need to get into the service road at the previous junction (Jail Road) which is about a couple of kms away. This entry to the service road may not be easy to predict/identify for someone not familiar. Also the service road is sometimes crowded too because of the parking of Volvo buses that comes for repair at the service center on the service road. On the other hand, it is easy to drive on the main carriage-way, spot the NICE Road overhead and then take the right-turn which in a sense is the logical direction you are travelling too. If you are familiar with all this, the whole equation changes and your point is very valid(even I take that all the time during day-time drives !). In my post, I had just repeated what I told a first-timer on this road to drive towards Mysore and it was just spot-on tips for him

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Also, if this drive is in the late night hours, one can also consider driving right through the city to reach Mysore Road via Town Hall/Sirsi Circle flyover. However, I also remember reading about some maintenance work happening on the flyover so there may be diversions and confusing if you're not familiar
Beyond TownHall junction (JC Road signal) till Kengeri, it is a big mess to be taken any time. The Sirsi Circle flyover is totally under repair and you can find debris or construction meterials scattered around. Once you descend from the flyover too, it is very bumpy ride till Kengeri and there is heavy lorry traffic during night-time on this stretch too. There are 2 perennial bottleneck points near KSRTC Satellite bus stand and near the Anjaneya temple too !

Again, if you are lucky, you can drive non-stop even if certain to be slow.

Last edited by ajithbr : 23rd April 2012 at 15:48.
Old 24th April 2012, 20:33   #771
Senior - BHPian

Hi!

Please advise the best way to enter Chennai and goto Adayar.

Google maps shows Poonamalle as the turn off to enter the city. Is this well marked and a easy route ?

thanks
Srini
Old 24th April 2012, 21:51   #772
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Google maps shows Poonamalle as the turn off to enter the city. Is this well marked and a easy route ?
I think that is the easiest. Ponamallee-Porur Road- Kathipara- Gundy-Adyar.
I will let the resident members comment for better options.
Old 25th April 2012, 11:20   #773
BHPian

Quote:
I am not a Chennai resident, but i took the same route while coming back from Chennai last Sunday. It's good with very less traffic being a weekend. A straight stretch with no confusions about right/left turns.
I too recommend it
Old 25th April 2012, 18:27   #774
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Hi!

thanks
Srini
Quote:

Yes this is the best route for reaching adyar
Old 26th April 2012, 10:16   #775
BHPian

Apologies if this has been answered before, but is there any excellent place to have South Indian breakfast at Hosur?
Old 26th April 2012, 10:33   #776
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
Apologies if this has been answered before, but is there any excellent place to have South Indian breakfast at Hosur?
I have noticed one Hotel Renaissance from the highway. Not sure about the food quality.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 11:20   #777
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Adyar Ananda bhavan / Kamat is your best bet. Also, between Hosur and Krishnagiri, you'll find plenty of places to have south indian breakfast - A2B, Kamat Upchar, A1 plaza to name a few. Other places include CCD, McDonald's, etc.

Kamat Upchar is inside a reliance bunk on your left when you are going from Bangalore, roughly around 50-60km from Silk board junction

Quote:
I have noticed one Hotel Renaissance from the highway. Not sure about the food quality.
Renaissance is very pricey and the breakfast wasn't all that good either. For breakfast I would keep away from Renaissance. However, we had lunch there on a sunday and their buffet was quite okay. I have heard good reviews about the lodging also there. Many people use it for overnight stopovers

Last edited by KarthikK : 26th April 2012 at 11:23.
KarthikK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 11:24   #778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Adyar Ananda bhavan / Kamat is your best bet.
This is for a cycle trip from Whitefield to Hosur via Attibele - not planning to go up to A2B
Old 26th April 2012, 11:42   #779
BHPian

Quote:
This is for a cycle trip from Whitefield to Hosur via Attibele - not planning to go up to A2B
Aarusuvai Just opposite to Hosur Bus stand. Below the bridge. not a very big place. Tasty south Indian. Quality of the place and ambience is just average.
Vizay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2012, 06:44   #780
BHPian

what is the best route to reach Navalur (in OMR Chennai) from bangalore ?

Most Viewed