Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2012, 22:55   #841
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Thanks sbkumar, ampere and rajshenoy. You all underscore the 'Cinderella' limit...leave before clock strikes three.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
What I have felt is one needs to be more careful driving in twilight rather than in full dark. Because our eyes dont get accustomed fully in mid level conditions...getting out of Whitefileld would be pain
Indeed, Ampere, your observation is interesting. By night one just has to adjust to different light, different people behaviour too :-) BTW, If I take the OMR from Krishnarajapuram towards Hoskote and Kolar, Whitefield is not in the route. But you mention Whitefield. Are you suggesting I could try Marathahalli>whitefield>Malur>kolar? Never done that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
Try not to delay further than 3 PM as you might end up facing traffic with people leaving early on Friday...It takes around 3.30 hrs approximately with sedate driving to do this BLR-Walajah stretch.
Forewarned is forearmed. My ride is a comfortable Innova, and while on the 2 lane, I shall not undertake even 1 risky overtake. I will also plan to carry some snacks.

Now that Ampere mentioned eyes adjusting to changing light, I am reminded of this mad experience once while driving from Bangalore to Kovalam near Thiruvanthapuram/TVM. I had sadly left the NH to Kanyakumari towards Nagercoil just as the sun set. The chaos of a 2 lane road all the way seemed like a mysterious magic land of people, vehicles and tubelight lit shops all along buzzing with nocturnal activity. My saviour was a Blaupunkt Travelpilot Lucca with MMI that was a guide for the next 2.5hrs.
Old 20th June 2012, 05:14   #842
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuli View Post
BTW, If I take the OMR from Krishnarajapuram towards Hoskote and Kolar, Whitefield is not in the route. But you mention Whitefield. Are you suggesting I could try Marathahalli>whitefield>Malur>kolar? Never done that.
How about the traffic at KR Puram itself? Indeed you wont touch Whitefield. Traffic would slowly start peaking at Indiranagar, BEML, KR puram section also.

So would be the case at Marthahalli, Kundanahalli Gate. It may not be that severe at 3PM.
But just a thought for precaution.

Last edited by ampere : 20th June 2012 at 05:16.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2012, 16:57   #843
Senior - BHPian

Can someone suggest me a good stay around the NH itself? I would be driving beyond Bangalore from Chennai and wanted to halt in Bangalore but I don't want to get into the City.
Old 21st June 2012, 17:04   #844
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Can someone suggest me a good stay around the NH itself? I would be driving beyond Bangalore from Chennai and wanted to halt in Bangalore but I don't want to get into the City.
There are some in Hosur. Would you be OK with that?

In Bangalore there is Hotel keys very close to NICE road (Hosur road entry point).
Old 21st June 2012, 17:11   #845
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
There are some in Hosur. Would you be OK with that?

In Bangalore there is Hotel keys very close to NICE road (Hosur road entry point).
What are the hotels in hosur?
Is there any option if I take the Kolar route?
Old 21st June 2012, 17:19   #846
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What are the hotels in hosur?
Not that I am aware of anyplace around Kolar side of NH4.

In Hosur:

Rennaaissancce Sarovar Portico Hosur, Book 3 star hotels in Hosur: Sarovar Hotels & Resorts
Welcome to Sivaranjani Hotel - Contact us

Under the Budget options there is Hotel Tamil Nadu (Its a TTDC Hotel)
::: TTDC ONLINE :::

Last edited by ampere : 21st June 2012 at 17:20.
Old 22nd June 2012, 11:48   #847
BHPian

Quote:
You can try Guestline Attibele, just as you enter Karnataka. Hotel Guestline Attibele, Bangalore, Karnataka - Google Maps

I have had food here several times and it is not bad. It is in the range of 250 to 300 rs. for buffet I think. Never stayed here. But I am told lot of guests of TVS tend to stay here. Also, this comes on your left on the service road next to BSNL exchange at Attibele, as you enter Karnataka from Hosur side along NH.

There is even a connection to Kolar side via Malur from near here - Attibele, Karnataka to Kolar, Karnataka - Google Maps
dhuli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2012, 13:14   #848
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuli View Post
There is even a connection to Kolar side via Malur from near here -
I think that route today is not functional thanks to a broken bridge at Baglur.
Its been like that for quite some time I think. But otherwise its a beautiful stretch to take.
4-5 km of very bad sand/gravel and another 4-5 km of rough surface. But the beautiful countryside drive makes up for all that!
Old 22nd June 2012, 15:12   #849

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere

I think that route today is not functional thanks to a broken bridge at Baglur.
Its been like that for quite some time I think. But otherwise its a beautiful stretch to take.
4-5 km of very bad sand/gravel and another 4-5 km of rough surface. But the beautiful countryside drive makes up for all that!
The broken bridge near bagalur is constructed and open to traffic.The 4-5kms of bad stretch is also repaired, although the rough surface beyond that still exists.
SujineRaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2012, 18:34   #850
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SujineRaj View Post
The broken bridge near bagalur is constructed and open to traffic.The 4-5kms of bad stretch is also repaired, although the rough surface beyond that still exists.
Thanks for that update. That is good news indeed! So looks like the smooth roads are back.
I really enjoyed driving on that stretch all the way to Kolar.
Old 27th June 2012, 14:42   #851
Senior - BHPian

My monthly Bangalore-Chennai-Bangalore trip is due this weekend (and return, the next). Thinking of taking the GQ outbound and NH4 return. What is the status of road widening works, anyone knows? Planning to start at 5AM on Saturday.
Old 27th June 2012, 17:47   #852
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
My monthly Bangalore-Chennai-Bangalore trip is due this weekend (and return, the next). Thinking of taking the GQ outbound and NH4 return. What is the status of road widening works, anyone knows? Planning to start at 5AM on Saturday.
Did it last weekend on the GQ. There are quite a number of diversions which still thankfully have 2 lanes either ways. So they aren't a problem. But there are a couple of 4-5 km stretches between Krishnagiri and Ambur which are single-laned and you are most certainly bound to be struck behind a truck and crawl. That being said, i still would prefer taking the GQ over Kolar route for 4 lanes throughout, eateries, safety, etc.
A word of caution though - There are a few stretches where the third lane is open for traffic without the lane marker. It is better not to take it as you can never predict where they end and hence might be a shocker if you tend to overtake on this lane on full throttle.

Slightly , Chennai was horrible with the metro work in progress. It took me 2.5 hours from Porur to T.Nagar via Vadapalani on Saturday evening. On return, took the Anna Salai-kathipara-Porur on Monday evening and managed to do it in 1.5 hours. Decided and hired a cab for local commute, which definitely was worth the buck!
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2012, 18:07   #853
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
Chennai was horrible with the metro work in progress. It took me 2.5 hours from Porur to T.Nagar via Vadapalani on Saturday evening. On return, took the Anna Salai-kathipara-Porur on Monday evening and managed to do it in 1.5 hours.
Mine's Porur-Guindy-OMR-Thiruvanmiyur-ECR. Then local commute is Besant Nagar-Adyar-RA Puram-Alwarpet-Cathedral Road, and also Sholinganallur-Kelambakkam. Hopefully I'm out of the metro's reach
Old 27th June 2012, 18:25   #854
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Mine's Porur-Guindy-OMR-Thiruvanmiyur-ECR. Then local commute is Besant Nagar-Adyar-RA Puram-Alwarpet-Cathedral Road, and also Sholinganallur-Kelambakkam. Hopefully I'm out of the metro's reach
Hah, you lucky you!

I guess the Metro work has created a lot of one-ways which otherwise was flowing decent. This has choked the traffic in many areas. For instance, it took me 30 minutes to get to GRT Grand from Globus signal, a mere stone throw distance!

So the general word of advice for all doing Blr-Chennai and vice-versa: factor in the extra time you might take if you are getting into/out of the city around any of the metro construction areas.
But the good part is everyone seems to understand the delay in traffic and hence forms a nice excuse if you are late for a meeting!
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2012, 22:07   #855
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
Slightly , Chennai was horrible with the metro work in progress. It took me 2.5 hours from Porur to T.Nagar via Vadapalani on Saturday evening. On return, took the Anna Salai-kathipara-Porur on Monday evening and managed to do it in 1.5 hours. Decided and hired a cab for local commute, which definitely was worth the buck!

In spite of heavy traffic I always found commute via Kathipara to be the fastest.
May be I have traveled during the peak time yet. At least over weekends, even when traffic is high, it takes a max of 40-45 minutes form Ponamallee to Kathipara.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks