Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2008, 16:15   #91
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by magesh_kumar View Post
i think you will have to pay some where around 350 - 400 Rs for toll gates until you reach chennai.
Not unless one wants to rent the toll plaza for a while . 160 one way if I'm not mistaken. Sorry but even after so many trips, I just cannot remember the exact toll.

The good thing is there are new highway hotels opening up - more options to stop for a break. Deepam before the Pallikonda toll plaza is fairly new - looks decent although I've never stopped there.
Old 18th November 2008, 16:27   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
. Deepam before the Pallikonda toll plaza is fairly new - looks decent although I've never stopped there.
Deepam food is decent had stopped there for more than 5 - 6 time. It also has a decent restroom, worth stopping there.
Old 18th November 2008, 19:00   #93
Senior - BHPian

If I remember rightly its 25, 35, 45, 25, 30 from Bangalore to Chennai, the tolls being near Krishnagiri, Vaniyambadi, Pallikonda, Ranipet and Sriperumbathur respectively.
Old 2nd December 2008, 13:12   #94
BANNED

Hosur bridge still dangerous on the right lane coming from Sulagiri. Towards Sulagiri is fine, although the bridge is very bumpy.

One small pothole has surfaced after Ambur town and before Pachakuppam bridge.

Deepam is a nice place to stop - clean restrooms. Coffee is pathetic, though.
Saw another place - Hot Chili between Perumbulipakkam and Ochheri.
The best coffee on this route is served at Hotel Grand Krishna at Sathuvachari.
Old 4th December 2008, 01:55   #95
BHPian

Shortest route to ECR

Guys, Whats the best/shortest route to reach ECR when you go from Bangalore?

I always go through Porur ->Guindy route to reach Adyar/ECR part of the city. Heard about the padappai route that will join you either in Sriperumbur or in Kanjipuram. Some advice pls..
Old 4th December 2008, 09:09   #96
Senior - BHPian

Where specifically do you want to go on the ECR? If its somewhere close to Thiruvanmayur then its better to go via the same route.

Otherwise you could take the Outer ring road just after Poonamallee and take the left after the road joins the Tambaram - Chengalpat road. This should lead you to Thiruporur on the OMR (if my memory serves me right) and you can then cut across and join the ECR just before Fisherman's cove.

The road before Sriperumbedur is not in good condition from what I heard from a friend of mine who used it sometime back. Don't have current update. After the battering during the rains this time its better to stick to the bigger roads
Old 4th December 2008, 10:44   #97
Senior - BHPian

Was on a quick trip to Kanchipuram yesterday so update on the Kanchipuram - Padappai & Sriperumbudur - Padappai roads. Both are not in great shape. The Kanchipuram - Walajabad - Chengalpet road is also not in great shape. The best option for you as senthil suggested take the byepass go upto Vandalur and then take a left after the zoo the road would take you to OMR at Kelambakkam from here ECR is about 4 kms. You would join the ECR just after Muttukadau (towards Mahabalipuram side)
Old 5th December 2008, 17:33   #98
BHPian

Thanks Guys ! I'll be going near Uthandi.

I think I did that route from Ponnamalle to Tambaram outskirts and it goes on and on for 25 plus Kms for 10Rs toll. Guess I need to stick to the Guindy route for a while
Old 7th December 2008, 00:58   #99
BANNED

To reach Uthandi, it is easier / faster / better to go through the normal Poonamallee bypass / Porur / Guindy / Raj Bhavan / Madhya Kailash route.

Fastest would be Madhya Kailash - OMR - Sholinganallur - left at traffic light onto Link Road (now called Kailagnar Karunanidhi Salai) - right onto ECR - Uthandi.

The Chennai bypass (Maduravoyal - Perungalathur) is a waste of time - for those living in South Madras (or South of Madras) and coming from Bangalore / NH4.

Last edited by hrag : 7th December 2008 at 01:03.
Old 12th January 2009, 13:10   #100
BHPian

Speed-breakers & Blindspots in SBC-MAS Highway

Hi!

I'm planning to drive to Madras from Whitefield, Bangalore in January.

1. What are the main speed-breakers and blindspots that I should be careful about (Honda Civic)?

2. Could you suggest a good a good place for breakfast (leaving Whitefield at 0600)?

Thanks,

Raja

Note from Team-BHP Support: Thread MERGED. Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. Please continue your discussion in an existing thread. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future.

Last edited by Jaggu : 12th January 2009 at 13:15. Reason: search please
Old 12th January 2009, 13:39   #101
BANNED

From Whitefield, I would normally recommend the Varthur - Sarjapura - Attibele route, but considering that you have a Civic, you're better off heading to Marathahalli and then taking the Outer Ring Road through Madivala market and joining up at Silk Board flyover.

Don't even think of taking your Civic on the Varthur - Sarjapura - Attibele route: there are some new speed breakers (esp. near Varthur market) on this route that can kill a normal car, let alone one with low GC.

If you start at 6 am from Whitefield, you can be at Adayar Ananda Bhavan / BP at Chinnar by 7:30. This is a good place for breakfast provided you don't see ration shop like queues when you reach.

Next best bet would be Hotel Tamilnadu @ Krishnagiri (NH46, just after you turn left off NH7) but you'd have to take a U-turn to get there. Other usual suspects include Motel Rosin (15 km after the Vaniyambadi toll plaza on the LHS), Motel Deepam (just after the Pallikonda toll plaza on the RHS), Hotel Grand Krishna (@Sathuvachari on the RHS - arguable the best breakfast joint on this route).

If this is the first time you're going on this route, slow down on the Vaniyambadi and Pachakuppam bridges.
Old 12th January 2009, 14:22   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If this is the first time you're going on this route, slow down on the Vaniyambadi and Pachakuppam bridges.
If he is going first time I doubt he would recognize these bridges.

@ Tempelhof The bridges referred by Hrishi are the one which comes at the end of Vaniyambadi byepass and the one which comes after you cross Ambur.
Old 12th January 2009, 15:23   #103
BHPian

Thanks. This is very useful.

Raja

Quote:
From Whitefield, I would normally recommend the Varthur - Sarjapura - Attibele route, but considering that you have a Civic, you're better off heading to Marathahalli and then taking the Outer Ring Road through Madivala market and joining up at Silk Board flyover.

Don't even think of taking your Civic on the Varthur - Sarjapura - Attibele route: there are some new speed breakers (esp. near Varthur market) on this route that can kill a normal car, let alone one with low GC.

If you start at 6 am from Whitefield, you can be at Adayar Ananda Bhavan / BP at Chinnar by 7:30. This is a good place for breakfast provided you don't see ration shop like queues when you reach.

Next best bet would be Hotel Tamilnadu @ Krishnagiri (NH46, just after you turn left off NH7) but you'd have to take a U-turn to get there. Other usual suspects include Motel Rosin (15 km after the Vaniyambadi toll plaza on the LHS), Motel Deepam (just after the Pallikonda toll plaza on the RHS), Hotel Grand Krishna (@Sathuvachari on the RHS - arguable the best breakfast joint on this route).

Old 15th January 2009, 01:49   #104
BHPian

Best route to reach gemini flyover from poonamallee.

I would have to leave for chennai around 6 in the vening, today. I would be starting from jp nagar. Please suggest me some good places for dinner around 9PM (would be 3 hours after start). Also what's the best route to take, to reach gemini flyover from poonamallee high road.
Old 15th January 2009, 02:40   #105
Senior - BHPian

Well if you drive decently enough you would be almost near Chennai. I would suggest Motel Highway just before 1 km before Poonamallee. You need to go down the road and take a u turn as it is situated on the right side. This is your best option.

The GQ bypasses almost all towns. Look at post 101 in this thread. The other options are listed out.

Are you leaving at 6 pm on a weekday? You might be stuck till EC.

To reach Gemini flyover, take the Poonamallee bypass. You will go over one flyover and then on the side of the next one by default. Stick to the right lane (near the flyover wall) and at the junction below the flyover take a right. Continue for a km or so and there is a big left. Take that left which leads towards Porur - MGR hospital - Guindy. Continue Straight on Guindy after crossing Kathipara junction and this is Mount Road. Keep heading straight down this road and after probably 8 - 10 kms you will hit Gemini flyover.

Hope this helps.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks