Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2010, 19:13   #226
BHPian

If this goes through. there will be a huge confusion for the next few years.
Old 22nd February 2010, 08:45   #227
BHPian

Any new places to eat?

Folks:

Apart from A2B at Chinar, are there any new places to stop/eat on this stretch from Bangalore - Madras and back?

Must be equal to or better than A2B !

Thanks.
Old 22nd February 2010, 10:03   #228
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
Folks:

Apart from A2B at Chinar, are there any new places to stop/eat on this stretch from Bangalore - Madras and back?

Must be equal to or better than A2B !

Thanks.
I would say none. For a better hotel you need to go inside Vellore for the Saravana Bhavan. Its not on the highway.
Old 22nd February 2010, 10:23   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I would say none. For a better hotel you need to go inside Vellore for the Saravana Bhavan. Its not on the highway.
Thanks - Yes, I had been to HSB@Vellore - since it is "far" inside, I wanted to know if there are other places
Old 22nd February 2010, 10:48   #230
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
Thanks - Yes, I had been to HSB@Vellore - since it is "far" inside, I wanted to know if there are other places
Look at this post (#5). Thats exactly what I also had asked !

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...-gq-route.html
Old 18th March 2010, 14:54   #231

Hi,

I am planning to drive down to Chennai with my family next weekend to attend a function in my SIL's house in Mylapore, her house is very close to Mundakanniamman and Tiruvalluvar temple. Would leave BLR after office hours on Friday and like to get there around midnight. I would take this route unless some one suggests something better.

BLR - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Vaniampadi - Vellore - Wallajapet - Kanjipuram - Sriperumpudur - Poonamallee.

Need help from Hyundai/Nokia factory to Mylapore.

Thank you.
Old 18th March 2010, 18:45   #232
J.Ravi

Follow NH 4, take Poonamallee BP, turn right towards Porur>Ramavaram>Kathipara Junction flyover>Guindy>Raj Bhavan>Adayar>Thiru Vi Ka Bridge>Mandaveli>Mylapore Tank>Luz>Thiruvalluvar statue.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 18th March 2010 at 18:49.

Old 18th March 2010, 18:53   #233
Senior - BHPian

The route is all right. Just that you won't hit any of these towns (except Hosur) as you will be on the bypass highway all the time.

You are asking for a hell a lot of driving directions. Simplest though longer would be to keep going straight down the NH as you cross Poonamallee, Nerkundram, Koyambedu, Amejikarai, Kilpauk, Central Railway Station, GH and finally the road will end with you either having to take a left or a right. Take the right and go on the bridge and keep going straight towards War Memorial, Anna Samadhi, Marina Beach, Gandhi Statue, Lighthouse and Santhome Church. Take the right at Santhome Church. This is Kutchery Road.

Call your SIL's house and ask for directions once you hit this road. If you go down Kutchery Road you will cross Mylapore Police Station and then hit Luz Corner junction. Unfortunately the right in that junction is now one way and you can't go there. Better call before the Police station and there's a shorter though narrow road leading to the Mundakanniamman temple.

This is the easiest way. With the new one ways introduced in places if I tell you anything else you are bound to get confused. Since you are hitting Chennai late in the night traffic will not be a problem.

J.Ravi - Luz to Thiruvalluvar Statue is not possible now. Its a one way. Either he has to take a left and go around Vivekananda college or take a right at Luz Junction into Kutchery road and then go past Mylapore Police Station and then take a left.

Also Mylapore Bus Stand to Mandeveli is a one way. So there's a roundabout that he'll have to enquire about...

Last edited by csentil : 18th March 2010 at 18:56.
Old 18th March 2010, 19:19   #234
Team-BHP Support

I can guide you till Ponamallee only as there is no guidance needed !
After that I would rather depend on a GPS.

Sorry for being OT.
Old 19th March 2010, 08:22   #235

Thanks a lot csentil, Ravi.
Old 19th March 2010, 10:28   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Follow NH 4, take Poonamallee BP, turn right towards Porur>Ramavaram>Kathipara Junction flyover>Guindy>Raj Bhavan>Adayar>Thiru Vi Ka Bridge>Mandaveli>Mylapore Tank>Luz>Thiruvalluvar statue.
Alternatively what you do is continue on Mount Road until Gemini Flyover. Take the right onto Cathedral road (under the flyover - you will have to take the left after Kamaraj Arangam and then a right on G N Chetty Road to reach below the flyover) Continue on Cathedral road, you will go over the flyover once you climb down you take the first right (Nilgiris Jn.) which will lead you to Ramakrishna Mission Jn. a left there would take you right in front of Thiruvalluvar Statue.
Old 19th March 2010, 11:45   #237
Senior - BHPian

True, that's also a good alternative.

Yeah thought about that as well. For someone who knows Chennai it would be easy. But for someone new, finding out Kamaraj Arangam and that left, right and then again right under the flyover can be sort of funny!! Usual instinct is to go on the side of the bridge and take a right. But that's not possible in Gemini or rather Anna Flyover Crazy!!!!

If you take the Nilgiri right within 100 mtrs take the left as the road goes straight as well. AT the next roundabout take left again. You can't go straight as its a one way.

I went to Chennai last week and was surprised to see that the whole Luz Area is changed. Its one way from Tiruvalluvar Statue towards Luz Corner Junction.

The earlier one way opposite Amrutanjan is now reversed. You cannot come towards Luz Church road from Vivekananda College.
Old 1st April 2010, 14:43   #238
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I saw some posts discussing the best eateries on this route. Can someone point out the best place to fill the fuel tank as well? Preferably this place should be as close to Bangy as possible, to obviate any need to fuel up there. I am talking of PSU pumps only. For Shell I am sure Bangalore rates will be cheaper!
Old 1st April 2010, 14:56   #239
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Guys, I saw some posts discussing the best eateries on this route. Can someone point out the best place to fill the fuel tank as well? Preferably this place should be as close to Bangy as possible, to obviate any need to fuel up there. I am talking of PSU pumps only. For Shell I am sure Bangalore rates will be cheaper!
A2B has one next to it. (I think its a BP). Not sure if its a company owned one. I prefer to tank it up the previous night with my regular place in the city. So I have not used these pumps much. Hence cannot comment on quality.

I think similarly even the Coffee Day/Meenakshi Bhavan complex has a bunk which looks like company owned (Not sure, I may be wrong).
Old 20th April 2010, 14:22   #240
BHPian

Updates?

Friends:

Planning to drive down to Madras this Thursday morning - any updates (read 'speedbreakers/potholes') to remember for a Civic?

Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks