Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2010, 10:10   #256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
Can someone tell me where exactly this place is?

Are there any landmarks BEFORE we reach this place?

Thanks.
Is the one in the HP bunk?

If so, it should be around 10-15 Kms after you cross the Hosur bus stand. Look out for HP bunk with a board saying Cafe Day.
Old 27th April 2010, 10:51   #257
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Is the one in the HP bunk?

If so, it should be around 10-15 Kms after you cross the Hosur bus stand. Look out for HP bunk with a board saying Cafe Day.
Yes that is the HP bunk + Sri Krishna Inn + CCD.

You get reminders on the Highway stating that you are nearing it, just like A2B.
Old 1st May 2010, 23:53   #258
Senior - BHPian

Took Bangalore to Vellore via NH-7 and then NH46. Road is awesome and the best thing is that there was no nasty surprises or speed breakers at all.
Old 17th May 2010, 11:35   #259
Senior - BHPian

I'm posting this question for more of an opinion to consider options. I'm planning a Chennai-Bangalore trip this weekend & I'm very familiar on the NH4-NH46-NH7 route(Chennai-Vellore-Krishnagiri-Hosur-Bangalore).

I'm planning to take the other way (GQ) to reach Bangalore soon as I believe its little shorter & reach Bangalore directly instead of coming via Hosur isn't it? Can someone help me share their experience on this route. IIRC, its through Kolar right? Pls correct if I'm wrong & share me your experiences, approximate time it takes to reach from Chennai to Bangalore (sane speeds upto 80 Kmph), safety, fuel availability & where one needs to take a deviation. Thanks.

Last edited by aargee : 17th May 2010 at 11:37.
Old 17th May 2010, 11:45   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I'm posting this question for more of an opinion to consider options. I'm planning a Chennai-Bangalore trip this weekend & I'm very familiar on the NH4-NH46-NH7 route(Chennai-Vellore-Krishnagiri-Hosur-Bangalore).

I'm planning to take the other way (GQ) to reach Bangalore soon as I believe its little shorter & reach Bangalore directly instead of coming via Hosur isn't it? Can someone help me share their experience on this route. IIRC, its through Kolar right? Pls correct if I'm wrong & share me your experiences, approximate time it takes to reach from Chennai to Bangalore (sane speeds upto 80 Kmph), safety, fuel availability & where one needs to take a deviation. Thanks.
The Chennai - Vellore - Hosur route is the Golden Quadrilateral (GQ) route.

What you are alluding to is NH4. Its 320 kms of what used to be 2 lane driving delight. But do not take this route now. There's road widening work happening between Mulbagal - Kolar - Bangalore.
This will add to your travel time.

The route is Chennai - Ranipet - Chittoor bypass - Palmaner - Mulbagal bypass - Kolar bypass - Hoskote - KR Puram - Bangalore. There's enough experiences about that route in the earlier posts in this thread Some of which will be lost forever after the road widening. they have cut down the huge trees and some of the awesome/tricky/dangerous bends will be lost forever....
Old 17th May 2010, 11:51   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
What you are alluding to is NH4. Its 320 kms of what used to be 2 lane driving delight. But do not take this route now. There's road widening work happening between Mulbagal - Kolar - Bangalore. This will add to your travel time.
Is it so bad even for two wheels? I'm OK even if I'm able to manage 40 Kmph on it. (I know what Ampere is going to tell me now, but I've to admit)

Yes, I'm aware that people don't recommend this route, but I still wanted to explore an option because distance from Bangalore to Chennai is less & I don't mind a 40Kmph bumpy ride on two-wheeler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
The route is Chennai - Ranipet - Chittoor bypass - Palmaner - Mulbagal bypass - Kolar bypass - Hoskote - KR Puram - Bangalore.
Thanks for the route

I'm planning to start by 4:00 AM & is it possible to reach by 10:00 AM within the city? Say I take a break for about 1 hour in the total journey.
Old 17th May 2010, 11:57   #262
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
(I know what Ampere is going to tell me now, but I've to admit)
But you still dont take that advice !

Kolar route is bad. Lots of diversions between BLR-Kolar.

It also depends on where you want to go in Bangalore. If its towards Whitefield and nearby, maybe its worth a try. If its south Bangalore, then you need to go across across BLR in the 10AM traffic which is pretty bad on NH4 (Old Madras Road)

See its already called Old Madras road.
Take the new one, which you are accustomed to and which every one likes.
Old 17th May 2010, 12:21   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
But you still dont take that advice !
- Taken Senthil's & Your advice seriously. I'll avoid the Kolar route & take the boring NH4-NH46-NH7 route

Last edited by aargee : 17th May 2010 at 12:24.
Old 17th May 2010, 12:21   #264
Senior - BHPian

We are also planning a tentative trip to Bangalore, Mysore and back from 26th to 29th of this month. I intend to take the Hosur route, with one lunch break en route. Would like to know the following:

1) Plan is to start around 7.30 AM after a light breakfast and reach Vellore for lunch. Any other options?

2) I will start with a full tank of Shell super unleaded and will top up again only at a Shell bunk at Bangalore. As I will be staying at either Seshadripuram/Vidyaranyapura areas, any good Shell pumps on the way?
Alternatively, as I will be proceeding to Mysore mostly from Vidyaranyapura vide Ring Road-Mysore Road, any Shell pumps in that route will also be fine.

3) Just in case I decide to top up fuel before reaching Bangalore, which is the best place?

4) Road conditions between Chennai-Bangalore and Bangalore-Mysore, tricky spots etc. Also road conditions at Bangy after the recent rains.

If we are unable to do the trip now, then it will be during Dassarah time. Due to my son's upanayanam and related religious functions/temple visits, we have been putting off this trip. The main purpose is to take my son to a couple of aged relatives at Bangalore who were unable to make it to the function.
Old 17th May 2010, 12:29   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
1) Plan is to start around 7.30 AM after a light breakfast and reach Vellore for lunch. Any other options?
Start as early as 5:00-5:30, you can reach Vellore by 7:00-7:30 for breakfast.
Other good option is, take the breakfast at home, prepare some mini lunch, pull over after Pallikonda or Nemilli toll & have the lunch in the car. The restrooms in the tolls are good & that way it works little economical too.

Quote:
2) I will start with a full tank of Shell super unleaded and will top up again only at a Shell bunk at Bangalore. As I will be staying at either Seshadripuram/Vidyaranyapura areas, any good Shell pumps on the way?
I guess no other Shell pumps on the way from Chennai-Bangalore; but why not choose to fill from good pumps (IOL) in Hosur. Trust me they're good.

Quote:
Alternatively, as I will be proceeding to Mysore mostly from Vidyaranyapura vide Ring Road-Mysore Road, any Shell pumps in that route will also be fine.
Well if you intend to go to Mysore directly, you can opt to take NICE road without getting into Bangalore city

Quote:
3) Just in case I decide to top up fuel before reaching Bangalore, which is the best place?
Hosur - IOL pump near Thali. I'll try posting some pics of that pump. This pump is on the left side when you go towards Bangalore, after Hosur bus station at the signal.

Quote:
4) Road conditions between Chennai-Bangalore and Bangalore-Mysore, tricky spots etc. Also road conditions at Bangy after the recent rains.
Chennai-Bangalore (Did until Krishnagiri y'day) no changes, same boring super highway & I guess it should be the same till Hosur.

Last edited by aargee : 17th May 2010 at 12:31.
Old 17th May 2010, 12:47   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Start as early as 5:00-5:30, you can reach Vellore by 7:00-7:30 for breakfast.
No way! My son will get cranky if he does not get his full 9 hours!

Quote:
Other good option is, take the breakfast at home, prepare some mini lunch, pull over after Pallikonda or Nemilli toll & have the lunch in the car. The restrooms in the tolls are good & that way it works little economical too.
Will think about this, but may not work out. My son loves to eat at restaurants!

Quote:
I guess no other Shell pumps on the way from Chennai-Bangalore; but why not choose to fill from good pumps (IOL) in Hosur. Trust me they're good.
No, I meant Shell pumps at Bangalore, as I proceed from Hosur to my destination there.

Quote:
Well if you intend to go to Mysore directly, you can opt to take NICE road without getting into Bangalore city
No, I will not be proceeding to Mysore directly. But I may bye-pass Bangalore on the way back, if time is short.

Quote:
Hosur - IOL pump near Thali. I'll try posting some pics of that pump. This pump is on the left side when you go towards Bangalore, after Hosur bus station at the signal.
Will keep this in mind,thanks!
Old 17th May 2010, 12:52   #267
Senior - BHPian

@Gansan : There is a Shell Petrol pump in Bommanahalli.(which is just few kms before silk board, near KPN Travels). But that is on the right side and you might wanna take a U-turn and drive to the pump.
Old 17th May 2010, 13:54   #268
Senior - BHPian

[quote=Gansan;1889565]

quote]
If you plan to leave Chennai around 7.30 AM, you can actually plan to have Lunch at Bangalore itself. If you are not particular about Shell pump, it will be advisable to tank up at Hosur itself, since fuel is a bit cheaper in Tamilnadu than in Karnataka.
Old 17th May 2010, 17:35   #269
Senior - BHPian

A few kms after Krishnagiri, there is BP's 'Ghar Dhaba'. They serve good food and also it is a nice place to relax after a drive. This place is also on the right side of the highway. You can try this for lunch!
Old 17th May 2010, 18:50   #270
Senior - BHPian

Thanks,guys. I was thinking of HSB, Vellore as we have to make a social visit for a couple of hours there. Will keep this Ghar Dhaba in mind. As it will come on the right side, how much of a detour will be there for a U turn?

Last edited by Gansan : 17th May 2010 at 19:02.

Most Viewed