Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2010, 12:52   #331
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Kelambakkam via SH110 Road conditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuli View Post
While going, I took a right before Sriperumbudur from behind Nokia factory. Sign said - towards Tambaram. Bad initial stretch. Went fine till Apollo tyre factory. Took a left towards Tambaram. There was a SH48/58 ? junction road closed. Sign said - Vandalur 3Km, Tambaram via Manimangalam some 22 odd Km. Local shop said, road is doable go via a diversion OTERI EXTN. and you hit Vandalur. WARNING - avoid this road (no road actually, with deep ruts). Its meant for Offroad vehicles or trucks IMO. I have a lot of respect for my WagonR. It managed with one or two scrapes to the underside!!
The Road was closed because there is a flyover being constructed to cross the Railway line at Vandalur Railway station. Once completed the road should be a great alternative for going to Mahabs from NH4. If the road from Chengalpet to Mahabs was good then you can also continue straight on SH57 (you took a left at Oragadam - Renault/Daimler factory) which would meet NH45 at SingaPerumalKoil.
Old 30th December 2010, 13:30   #332
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bangalore - Kelambakkam via SH110 Road conditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
The Road was closed because there is a flyover being constructed to cross the Railway line at Vandalur Railway station. Once completed the road should be a great alternative for going to Mahabs from NH4. If the road from Chengalpet to Mahabs was good then you can also continue straight on SH57 (you took a left at Oragadam - Renault/Daimler factory) which would meet NH45 at SingaPerumalKoil.
How easy it is to wade through Chengalpattu town? I see in GM that SH58 goes all the way to Kalpakkam power station. And the route from Mahabalipuram intersects it at Tirukalukundram. Is that the standard route?

If as you said SH58 comes good, it then becomes a one stop solution to Mahabalipuram from NH4 by-passing Madras.

Last edited by ampere : 30th December 2010 at 13:35.
Old 31st December 2010, 13:07   #333
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Came back yesterday from our trip to Fisherman's cove. While going we took the Bangalore-Kanchi-Chengalpettu-Mahabs-Fisherman's cove (near Muthukadu) and while coming back we took Fisherman's cove-Kelambakkam-Vandalur Zoo-Chennai Bypass-Poonamallee- Bangalore.

Roads are driveable on Kanchi-Chengalpettu-Mahabs sector but not great. Lots of speed breakers, occasional broken patches etc however the traffic is sparse and that helps.

The return route was fantastic in terms of road conditions but longer and also one has to deal with traffic from Chennai bypass till Poonamallee.

Time taken was same on both the routes but I would prefer the second simply because the roads were much better.

However, if one is planning to go to Mahabs, Kanchi route is probably better because it will save time.
Old 31st December 2010, 16:44   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
How easy it is to wade through Chengalpattu town? I see in GM that SH58 goes all the way to Kalpakkam power station. And the route from Mahabalipuram intersects it at Tirukalukundram. Is that the standard route? If as you said SH58 comes good, it then becomes a one stop solution to Mahabalipuram from NH4 by-passing Madras.
Chengalpattu was fairly driveable as it is quite small. Kanchipuram was a different story. Lots of chaotic traffic and very slow progress. I drove from Mahabalipuram to Chengalpattu via Tirukalakundram Bye-pass (there is a Roman Catholic Church and a right turn to skip Tirukalakundram town. Never came across Kalpakkam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
However, if one is planning to go to Mahabs, Kanchi route is probably better because it will save time.
I agree with you on the Chennai Byepass > Poonamalee route as easier to drive road. However, if the Vandalur approach flyover gets done, the best route for Bangalore to Mahabs will be Bangalore>Krishnagiri>Vellore>Sriperumbudur (outskirts)>Vandalur>Kelambakkam>Kovalam>Mahabalip uram.

When I download the Oteri (lunar landscape) snaps, i will share in another post!
Happy and safe new year to all. Cheers to 2011!
Old 10th January 2011, 22:13   #335
Team-BHP Support

Did another round of rapidfire BLR-Chennai over the weekend. While coming back stopped at a restaurant called Sri Ganesha (newly opened. Has ample parking.)Decent toilets.

Had coffee/juice. Decent and nice. But at the time we went, there was no one and for a HUGE dining hall, we were only folks! A full veg restaurant both AC and Non AC.

The place is somewhere 60 Km from Chennai and just before Kanchi.

I spoke to the guy there and he seemed to say that these folks do not get permissions to put hoardings before to announce the approach of a hotel (something like what we see for CCD/Kamat/A2B etc) on NH7. So from that angle one can easily miss the board and pass the place. It was just my luck to spot the place and stop.

Looks like these guys cannot work out the logistics for these things.

But over all a clean place, but again the same issue. The place comes too soon once you start from Chennai. Ideal would be something nice between Ambur and Vanyambadi.

EDIT: I have the waypoint location. Let me know if some one wants it.

Last edited by ampere : 10th January 2011 at 22:14.
Old 11th January 2011, 00:51   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Did another round of rapidfire BLR-Chennai over the weekend. While coming back stopped at a restaurant called Sri Ganesha (newly opened. Has ample parking.)Decent toilets.

Had coffee/juice. Decent and nice. But at the time we went, there was no one and for a HUGE dining hall, we were only folks! A full veg restaurant both AC and Non AC.

The place is somewhere 60 Km from Chennai and just before Kanchi.

I spoke to the guy there and he seemed to say that these folks do not get permissions to put hoardings before to announce the approach of a hotel (something like what we see for CCD/Kamat/A2B etc) on NH7. So from that angle one can easily miss the board and pass the place. It was just my luck to spot the place and stop.

Looks like these guys cannot work out the logistics for these things.

But over all a clean place, but again the same issue. The place comes too soon once you start from Chennai. Ideal would be something nice between Ambur and Vanyambadi.

EDIT: I have the waypoint location. Let me know if some one wants it.
@ampere

Is it Ganesha or Ganapathy Bhavan? Is it just before the Kanchipuram turn-off in NH7? If so, then it has been in operation for close to 8 months now as that was my usual coffee stop on my numerous drives from Chennai-Erode, Chennai-BLR early this year.
Old 11th January 2011, 07:05   #337
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
@ampere

Is it Ganesha or Ganapathy Bhavan? Is it just before the Kanchipuram turn-off in NH7? If so, then it has been in operation for close to 8 months now as that was my usual coffee stop on my numerous drives from Chennai-Erode, Chennai-BLR early this year.
In the front I could not see the name. Its a group of buidings, where there was also a big hall. Yes it was before Kanchi turn-off. There is big "HOTEL" hoarding.

Now that you mention I might not have seen the name correctly. The guy mentioned its been there for few months. Is it the same one that you stop at?
Old 27th January 2011, 22:31   #338
BHPian

Bangalore-Chennai

We are planning a trip from Kannur, Kerala to Bangalore and staying the night in the city. Next day early morning we plan to drive to Chennai for a wedding reception in the evening. I have never done this stretch before. Is NH4 via Kolar - Chittoor - Tiruvallur the best option to do it ? The other route I can see on google maps is NH46 via Hosur - Krishnagiri - Vellore. Whats the average time taken for a Bangalore Chennai drive?

All help would be appreciated !
Old 28th January 2011, 03:04   #339
BHPian

Re: Bangalore-Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickster View Post
We are planning a trip from Kannur, Kerala to Bangalore and staying the night in the city. Next day early morning we plan to drive to Chennai for a wedding reception in the evening. I have never done this stretch before. Is NH4 via Kolar - Chittoor - Tiruvallur the best option to do it ? The other route I can see on google maps is NH46 via Hosur - Krishnagiri - Vellore. Whats the average time taken for a Bangalore Chennai drive?

All help would be appreciated !
You definitely want to take the NH46 Hosur/Krishnagiri/Vellore route, its a beautiful highway and takes about 5 hours on a good day to reach Chennai outskirts. About 6-7 toll stations - I think ~ 200 bucks, but more than worth the smooth drive. Kolar/Chittoor route is under heavy construction and will slow you down big time.

Last edited by amitwadhwa : 28th January 2011 at 03:07.
Old 7th February 2011, 17:41   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbusos View Post
Actual route could be Ranipettai - Wallajah - Sholingar - Tirutani. Its SH 108 till Sholingar. After Sholingar, after few kms take SH 106 to Tirutani.
Need to attend a friend's marriage this weekend and will be driving to and fro between Bangalore and Tiruttani. So, as usual, queries to mates here:

1) How is the route from GQ turn-off till Tiruttani? And distance-wise break-ups and landmarks to be aware of on the route? From the posts earlier and what I heard of, I believe that after Vellore and just after Arcot by-pass, there is a long bridge over Palar River. Then, there is a left turn (believe it is NH-4 from Chittoor side) towards Ranipet just before the next bridge/flyover. Can someone please elaborate on the actual details?

2) Any good places recommended, if possible with contact details, to stay with family of kids and elders in Tiruttani?

3) How about going uphill? Is the car allowed to be driven till the top? Or do we need to either climb up or rely on temple authority vehicles?

4) While returning, where exactly is the turn-off to Golden Temple? Any landmarks to be aware of?

No issues with places for food breaks as I am otherwise familiar with the major part of this route since I have driven to Yelagiri/Vellore/Chennai etc.
Old 7th February 2011, 22:03   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
1) How is the route from GQ turn-off till Tiruttani? And distance-wise break-ups and landmarks to be aware of on the route? From the posts earlier and what I heard of, I believe that after Vellore and just after Arcot by-pass, there is a long bridge over Palar River. Then, there is a left turn (believe it is NH-4 from Chittoor side) towards Ranipet just before the next bridge/flyover. Can someone please elaborate on the actual details?

2) Any good places recommended, if possible with contact details, to stay with family of kids and elders in Tiruttani?

3) How about going uphill? Is the car allowed to be driven till the top? Or do we need to either climb up or rely on temple authority vehicles?

4) While returning, where exactly is the turn-off to Golden Temple? Any landmarks to be aware of?

No issues with places for food breaks as I am otherwise familiar with the major part of this route since I have driven to Yelagiri/Vellore/Chennai etc.
1. There are 2 routes.
A. Cross the Palar bridge, cross the over bridge and then take left. This road meets NH4 coming from Chittoor. Take Right here and at Wallajah bus stand take a left to go to Sholingar and from there proceed to Tiruthani
B Continue till you reach Kanchipuram overbridge. cross it, take U turn and take a right to take the road to Arakonam (this road runs parallel to Kanchi -Arakonam railway line) and there proceed to Tiruthani.
This is a longer route.

2. I am not aware. But do not expect advanced facilities.

3. It is very small hill. More of a hillock. And yes you can climb with your car. Make sure the parking ticket given is for a car and pay accordingly.

4. While coming you would need to come to Vellore. From NH4 take the exit that says Katpadi (out of numerous exits to Vellore) and from there take a left to go inside Vellore town to reach Sripuram for Golden temple. The signs from Vellore are marked clearly. From Sripuram you can join NH46 directly to reach Bangalore via Krishnagiri.

Last edited by DWind : 7th February 2011 at 22:06. Reason: spelling error
Old 9th February 2011, 16:03   #342
BHPian

Quote:
1. There are 2 routes.
A. Cross the Palar bridge, cross the over bridge and then take left. This road meets NH4 coming from Chittoor. Take Right here and at Wallajah bus stand take a left to go to Sholingar and from there proceed to Tiruthani
B Continue till you reach Kanchipuram overbridge. cross it, take U turn and take a right to take the road to Arakonam (this road runs parallel to Kanchi -Arakonam railway line) and there proceed to Tiruthani.
This is a longer route.
I am interested in A only. Need just one confirmation though:- you cross 2 bridges after Arcot, one over Palar River and another one, perhaps a flyover. Or is it just one bridge over Palar and then without taking the next flyover/bridge, take the left road to proceed towards Ranipet.

Quote:
4. While coming you would need to come to Vellore. From NH4 take the exit that says Katpadi (out of numerous exits to Vellore) and from there take a left to go inside Vellore town to reach Sripuram for Golden temple. The signs from Vellore are marked clearly. From Sripuram you can join NH46 directly to reach Bangalore via Krishnagiri.
Guessed so since I did this route in reverse a couple of years back. Remember the exact opposite direction in the same route and ended up in Hotel Aryaas for lunch-break.
Old 9th February 2011, 21:56   #343
BHPian

Quote:
In the front I could not see the name. Its a group of buidings, where there was also a big hall. Yes it was before Kanchi turn-off. There is big "HOTEL" hoarding.

Now that you mention I might not have seen the name correctly. The guy mentioned its been there for few months. Is it the same one that you stop at?
Yes thats the one! Unless some other one has popped up in the last 4 months, as I haven't driven that stretch.
Old 18th February 2011, 23:31   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
Need to attend a friend's marriage this weekend and will be driving to and fro between Bangalore and Tiruttani. So, as usual, queries to mates here:

Did this trip last weekend and here are the update points:
Attached Images

Old 19th February 2011, 08:29   #345
BHPian

Quote:

Have you tried motel highway before pallikonda toll gate? I have had around 3 times and decent food. Toilets are clean as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks