Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2011, 01:01   #361
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4loys View Post
You can try Kundrathur route. I do this stretch regularly and there are few bad stretches and few speed breaker when nearing Kundrathur. These bad stretches will slow down your speed but definitely drivable. From Kundrathur junction take Kundrathur-> Palavaram road and just before Anakaputhur you have a ramp to join the Tambaram bypass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Thanks. Will keep this option in mind if the reports about the other road is not good. If SH110 is totally unknown territory, I'll probably try out that route while going, and if it is bad will use this one for the return journey.
Did the Bangalore-Tambaram trip on Wednesday morning and the return trip this morning. While going took the SH110 from Sriperumbudur to Tambaram via Manimangalam / Mudichur. Most parts of the road are in rather miserable condition with plenty of potholes, and the previous day's rains didn't help much either, the roads were rather slushy. Took 48 minutes to cover the 22 kms.

Before starting back, asked the guy at the hotel counter as to which is the best way to get to Sriperumbudur and he suggested the same route I'd travelled the previous morning I told his that road is no good, he suggested an alternate and said the roads are very good though it is about 3-4 kms longer.

The route suggested was the Kishkindha road from Tambaram, to continue past the theme park upto Somangalam where you come to a T junction, take a right there and join SH113 which you hit in about 2-2.5 kms from there (Another T junction), and turn left there to Sriperumbudur.

The road was rather indifferent in the beginning and I was more or less resigned to the fact that this was going to be similar to SH110, but then the road became better after a couple of kms, and was pretty good till Somangalam (About 10 kms from Tambaram). The 2 kms from there to SH113 was pretty bad, but once you get on to the SH, it was good till Sriperumbudur. Took me only 35 minutes to do the 26 kms (and only 12 minutes for the last 13 kms on SH113).

So SH113 is definitely recommended in spite of the 3-4 kms of bad roads in between, I don't think one can travel between Tambaram and Sriperumbudur in 35 minutes on any of the other suggested routes via Porur or Maduravoyal because of the higher distance of 45 to 55 kms.

May be the Kundrathur route that mail4loys could be the next best since a lot of that route is also on SH113 which was surprisingly good. But then the increased distance of 35 kms would mean one would take about the same time or slightly more since Tambaram - Palavaram - Kundrathur would probably have heavier traffic.
Old 25th February 2011, 06:54   #362
Team-BHP Support

Seems like a good bypass option as well to me. If one needs to leave central Madras, in peak of the traffic, it would be good not to take Porur road to Ponamallee, but take this option via Tambaram. The distances seem to be same.

How was the traffic on SH? Were routes to Sriperumbudur marked well? Also how was traffic within Sriperumbudur?
Old 25th February 2011, 08:06   #363
BHPian

Thats a very useful update. I think the road is also in good condition and traffic is also sparse.
Old 25th February 2011, 09:26   #364
Senior - BHPian

Good find Kala! Will be useful for guys driving from the Southern end closer to Tambaram and those heading towards ECR, OMR destinations or Mahabs. From inside city, if you have to get on Mount Road the time (if not the distance) would be much more than the regular Porur route.

There is a route Kanchipuram-Madras 79 bus takes through Mudichur-Padappai, the road was not bad from what i saw. Pretty traffic free, but I remember the shoulders to be slushy in rainy conditions.
Old 25th February 2011, 15:27   #365
BHPian

thanks ramanan and DWind..

yes, i know places close to triplicane but not the outskirts..

anyways, language is not a problem
Old 25th February 2011, 19:06   #366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
How was the traffic on SH? Were routes to Sriperumbudur marked well? Also how was traffic within Sriperumbudur?
Traffic on both these routes (SH110 as well as Sh113) was sparse. Both these are rather narrow 2 lane roads, so can become bottlenecks in case of heavier traffic.

On my onward route (SH110) there were markings at most junctions for Tambaram - so didn't have to stop and ask. On the reverse route, I don't think there was even one sign board mentioning SriPerumbudur till I reached SH113. Till Somangalam there were distance markers showing Somangalam as the destination, and the right turn at that point had a signboard that showed to it being a way to Porur if I remember right. (But I didn't have to stop and ask since the guy who gave me directions had specifically mentioned turning right at that T junction and about the next left turn at SH113)

Sriperumbudur was chaos as usual. Took me about 8-10 minutes to get onto the NH from SH113. The junction was choked with factory buses mostly and the traffic policemen stationed there was allowing only few vehicles at a time, so it was pretty slow progress.

The Tambaram-Somangalam-Sriperumbudur route marked on Google Maps :

Tambaram - Sriperumbudur via SH113 - Google Maps
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2011, 19:18   #367
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Sriperumbudur was chaos as usual. Took me about 8-10 minutes to get onto the NH from SH113. The junction was choked with factory buses mostly and the traffic policemen stationed there was allowing only few vehicles at a time, so it was pretty slow progress.
I guess on a peak traffic time, the 8-10 minutes in Sriprumbudur is much better than the hour spent on Porur road!
Old 25th February 2011, 20:00   #368
J.Ravi

Quote:
I guess on a peak traffic time, the 8-10 minutes in Sriprumbudur is much better than the hour spent on Porur road!
During my recent visit to Chennai, I found that an exclusive diversion has been provided for vehicles going to Arcot Road towards Vadapalani, Kodambakkam, etc. bypassing Porur junction, thereby reducing the congestion at this busy junction, which I crossed within minutes at 4 pm.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 25th February 2011 at 20:03.

Old 25th February 2011, 20:07   #369
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
During my recent visit to Chennai, I found that an exclusive diversion has been provided for vehicles going to Arcot Road towards Vadapalani, Kodambakkam, etc. bypassing Porur junction, thereby reducing the congestion at this busy junction, which I crossed within minutes at 4 pm.
I also try to cross this junction in after noon 3-4PM on a Sunday, to be back in Bangalore by 10-11. That way I have been to hit NH4 via Porur road in 25-30 minutes from Kathipara.
Old 26th February 2011, 20:26   #370
BHPian

Chennai - Bangalore Proposed Expressway

Proposed Expressway is almost finalized. Hopefully, before next decade one can travel between Chennai and Bangalore within 3 hours.
Old Madras Road to get ‘new line’

Last edited by ramanan.skr : 26th February 2011 at 20:26. Reason: Grammatical error
Old 26th February 2011, 21:36   #371
Team-BHP Support

I think this is being discussed for a long time. Also per my opinion, NH46 is under utilised. How will this 6L help? May be the truck traffic on old Madras Road.
Old 1st March 2011, 12:05   #372
Senior - BHPian

I agree with Amp here, there is no need for a third road between Bangalore and Madras. NH4 past Sriperumbudur and NH46 are certainly capable of handling more traffic than they currently are. The roads like Sarjapura-Attibele (where heavy vehicles on ORR are being redirected), Hosakote-Malur-Hosur can be worked upon.
Old 2nd March 2011, 09:24   #373
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
I agree with Amp here, there is no need for a third road between Bangalore and Madras. NH4 past Sriperumbudur and NH46 are certainly capable of handling more traffic than they currently are. The roads like Sarjapura-Attibele (where heavy vehicles on ORR are being redirected), Hosakote-Malur-Hosur can be worked upon.
I think currently the truck traffic on NH4 (between Bangalore and Chennai) is high because there is no 4L and hence no toll. (This is just a guess).

The instant 4 or 6 Lane work on NH4 starts, one would seel traffic density boom on 46. The best I think can be done is complete the 4-Laning of NH4.
This activity some how has got stalled and 4Lane happens only till Mulbagal (from Bangalore).
Old 4th March 2011, 13:21   #374
BHPian

Quote:
I think currently the truck traffic on NH4 (between Bangalore and Chennai) is high because there is no 4L and hence no toll. (This is just a guess).
I think truck traffic is more in NH7/NH46, that too during nights esp towards Chennai. The toll is compensated by paying as road tax to AP Checkpost.
Quote:
The instant 4 or 6 Lane work on NH4 starts, one would seel traffic density boom on 46. The best I think can be done is complete the 4-Laning of NH4.
This activity some how has got stalled and 4Lane happens only till Mulbagal (from Bangalore).
I believe, there are no plans of extending the widening activities beyond Mulbagal as of now.
Old 4th March 2011, 14:26   #375
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanan.skr View Post
I think truck traffic is more in NH7/NH46, that too during nights esp towards Chennai. The toll is compensated by paying as road tax to AP Checkpost.
At least I remember quite heavy traffic till Chittoor, as compared to what I saw on the 46.
May be one does not feel the big traffic due to 4L on the 46.

But if you are saying traffic near Chennai is high then, beyond Walajapet, NH4 and 46 would be same.

Last edited by ampere : 4th March 2011 at 14:27.

Most Viewed