Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2011, 15:54   #376
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Most heavy duty industries in & around Ranipet use NH4 to transport their products to Chennai Port.
+ All North Bound trucks take Ranipet-Chitoor part of NH4.
+ Trucks going towards industries located in Bangalore North take NH4 only.
Thats why, You can see that after Ranipet Sipcot & BHEL region, there will be reduction of truck traffic and after Chitoor, NH4 will not be that dense.

Nowadays, Govt insisting very heavy trucks towards Bangalore to take GQ considering the robustness of the roads.

Most trucks carrying consumable goods take only GQ and will mostly be during night times only.

These are just my thoughts based on my travels through both these sections in the recent past. Reality might be different.
Old 7th March 2011, 16:47   #377
BHPian

The last trip and back to Chennai I tried going via SH-113 and boy - it is a hell-road!. The path marked by you - Darkas Rd - how is it?.

I want to reach Thoraipakkam and going around to reach the bypass also looks like too much of extra road.

Please do suggest the best way to reach Thoraipakkam/Chennai from Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Traffic on both these routes (SH110 as well as Sh113) was sparse. Both these are rather narrow 2 lane roads, so can become bottlenecks in case of heavier traffic.

Tambaram - Sriperumbudur via SH113 - Google Maps
Old 7th March 2011, 17:11   #378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santhosh_kumard View Post
The last trip and back to Chennai I tried going via SH-113 and boy - it is a hell-road!. The path marked by you - Darkas Rd - how is it?.

I want to reach Thoraipakkam and going around to reach the bypass also looks like too much of extra road.

You can try Sriperumbudur->Kunrathur (SH113)->Anakaputhur->Pamal->Pallavaram (NH45)-> Take the palavaram flyover to SH109->Killkattali->pallikarani->Thoraipakkam

I did Sriperumbudur->Kunrathur (SH113)->Anakaputhur->Pamal->Pallavaram (NH45) yesterday and there are potholes in quite a few places and speed breaks but it is drivable. The other section is in good condition
Old 7th March 2011, 17:42   #379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

SH113 is in pretty good shape from Sriperumbudur till the turnoff to Darkas road (except may be the initial stretch in Sriperumbudur town). Darkas road is quite bad with plenty of potholes for the first 2 kms or so (till you reach Somangalam and take a left there), but decent from thereon till Kishkindha theme park. The last 4-5 kms till Tambaram is average with occasional potholes.

No clue about the roads to Thoraipakkam from there - never travelled that way before.
Old 7th March 2011, 17:57   #380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4loys View Post
You can try Sriperumbudur->Kunrathur (SH113)->Anakaputhur->Pamal->Pallavaram (NH45)-> Take the palavaram flyover to SH109->Killkattali->pallikarani->Thoraipakkam

I did Sriperumbudur->Kunrathur (SH113)->Anakaputhur->Pamal->Pallavaram (NH45) yesterday and there are potholes in quite a few places and speed breaks but it is drivable. The other section is in good condition

Thank you mail4loys for the direction. I think I will take this one the coming weekend.

The hell-road I meant was the SH-110 and not SH-113(from Sriperumbudur->SH-110 section) , sorry for the typo earlier. SH-113 was far better road than SH-110.
Old 7th March 2011, 18:39   #381
BHPian

Is there a direct turnoff to SH 113 from NH4? or do we have to take the exit to SH 110 and then drive on the Service lane to reach SH 113?
Also, how is the road condition after dark? I mean is it safe? I know after Kunrathur till Pallavaram the road is narrow and traffic is slow moving most of the times. How about SH 113 from Sri Perumbadur till Kunrathur?
Old 7th March 2011, 19:06   #382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Is there a direct turnoff to SH 113 from NH4? or do we have to take the exit to SH 110 and then drive on the Service lane to reach SH 113?
Also, how is the road condition after dark? I mean is it safe?
From SH-113 you can take it directly to NH4. I think I saw a junction ( memory fails me ).
I do not know about SH-113, but SH-110 is definitely not for use after-dark. Even during the daytime I saw very sparse truck traffic and nothing else.
Old 7th March 2011, 19:20   #383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, how is the road condition after dark? I mean is it safe? I know after Kunrathur till Pallavaram the road is narrow and traffic is slow moving most of the times. How about SH 113 from Sri Perumbadur till Kunrathur?
Quote:
From SH-113 you can take it directly to NH4. I think I saw a junction ( memory fails me ).
I do not know about SH-113, but SH-110 is definitely not for use after-dark. Even during the daytime I saw very sparse truck traffic and nothing else.
Yes SH113 does connect directly to NH4. It is in fact SH110 that doesn't touch the NH. From Sriperumbudur you have to go about 2 kms on SH113 towards Kunrathur and take a right turn to get onto SH110 (something one wouldn't want to do normally given the current state of that road )
Old 7th March 2011, 19:36   #384
BHPian

Quote:
I have been using these stretch for the past two years. If i have my family with me i plan and cross this stretch in the day light (morning-afternoon-evening). If i travel with my friends or alone i do it in the night (No undue incident has happened to me). But still i would recommend this stretch to be used in day light only.

Quote:
SH113 joins to NH very close to Sriperumbudur <-> chengelpattu road, this is in between Nokia factory and Rajeev Gandhi Memorial. For SH110, you need to take the service road and connect with NH

Last edited by mail4loys : 7th March 2011 at 19:45.
Old 7th March 2011, 19:43   #385
BHPian

sorry duplicate post please delete

Last edited by mail4loys : 7th March 2011 at 19:45.
Old 13th March 2011, 19:57   #386
BHPian

Quote:
sorry duplicate post please delete
Took this route to go to Vellore and back for the weekend. Here are my thoughts
1. The SH 113 (Kodambakkam-SriPerambadur) does not have an exit (as I had suspected) if you need to access it while coming from Kanchipuram on NH4. You need to take a right to SH 57 (SPKoil-Chengalpattu via Oragadam) and then travel on the wrong side (prohibited now; can probably get away, saw a cab doing it) on the service road. Else take the next U-turn at junction of road that goes inside SriPerambadur town.
2. The road is punctuated with pot-holes. Need to be careful specially at culverts and bridges where it gets worse.
3. The road becomes narrow and has heavy traffic between Pozhichallur and Pallavaram where you could get bogged down by a slow moving vehicle and buses stopping at busstops + speed breakers at every curve. But the traffic was moving
4. Saw a road pointing Tambaram parallel to Chennai bye pass. I guess this is the service lane. How is this road? Can I take this road to join the Tiruneermalai road so that I can reach GST faster?

Last edited by DWind : 13th March 2011 at 20:03.
Old 13th March 2011, 22:31   #387
Senior - BHPian

The road beyond Kolar is still the same old NH 4. Single lane - road condition is good - with truck traffic after 9 AM. Not recommended unless you have some work in Chittooor or Kolar. To be avoided at night being single lane.

I would prefer Hosur - Krishnagiri - Vellore route for a comfortable and peaceful drive.
Old 14th March 2011, 09:18   #388
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
To be avoided at night being single lane.
It has a single carriageway comprising two lanes as against NH 7/46 which has a double carriageway with four lanes.

Old 14th March 2011, 11:52   #389
BHPian

Quote:
Took this route to go to Vellore and back for the weekend. Here are my thoughts
1. The SH 113 (Kodambakkam-SriPerambadur) does not have an exit (as I had suspected) if you need to access it while coming from Kanchipuram on NH4. You need to take a right to SH 57 (SPKoil-Chengalpattu via Oragadam) and then travel on the wrong side (prohibited now; can probably get away, saw a cab doing it) on the service road. Else take the next U-turn at junction of road that goes inside SriPerambadur town.
I forgot to update about this. Till few month back Police were allowing vehicles to travel in the service Lane. Now Police had erected "no entry" at that junction. You need to travel straight at that junction , after you cross Rajeev Gandhi memorial, you have an U turn . Take the U turn there and proceed to SH-113

Quote:
2. The road is punctuated with pot-holes. Need to be careful specially at culverts and bridges where it gets worse.
3. The road becomes narrow and has heavy traffic between Pozhichallur and Pallavaram where you could get bogged down by a slow moving vehicle and buses stopping at busstops + speed breakers at every curve. But the traffic was moving
The road from Anakaputhur till Pallavaram is the only bottle neck in the whole stretch. Though its a SH it very narrow.
Quote:
4. Saw a road pointing Tambaram parallel to Chennai bye pass. I guess this is the service lane. How is this road? Can I take this road to join the Tiruneermalai road so that I can reach GST faster?
Before entering Anakaputur, the SH intersects with bye pass road . Though byepass road is a flyover , you can join it by taking right turn (When you are coming from Kundrathur) and entering into the byepass road. You can reach Tambaram faster using this road.
Old 14th March 2011, 15:02   #390
BHPian

Quote:
Before entering Anakaputur, the SH intersects with bye pass road . Though byepass road is a flyover , you can join it by taking right turn (When you are coming from Kundrathur) and entering into the byepass road. You can reach Tambaram faster using this road.
Hmm..Are you sure that the road joins the actual Bye-pass and not the Service lane? Any way the route would be too long for me as I need to join GST at Pallavaram to take the Pallavaram-Thoraipakkam Radial road.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks