Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2011, 13:08   #541
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Are you saying it will take 2 hours to cover a distance of 30 kms or so from Poonamalle to chennai? I cannot believe it. So basically we are talking about an overall time of atleast 6 hours from bangalore to chennai right?

Sorry - I could not leave this afternoon as i got stuck at work. I will be leaving tomorrow early morning.
Could be late for you, but if I was in your position this is the route I would take. Take the left at Maduravayol Jn. continue until Ambattur estate, from there go all the way on New Avadi Road via Padi, Kilpauk, Poonamallee High road.

Though this is by far the longest, it is the only one where you would not spend more than 10 minutes even in the worst case scenario.

Poonamalle High Rd/NH 4 to Cathedral Rd - Google Maps
Old 6th October 2011, 14:41   #542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you saying it will take 2 hours to cover a distance of 30 kms or so from Poonamalle to chennai? I cannot believe it. So basically we are talking about an overall time of atleast 6 hours from bangalore to chennai right?
Yes. I have done Chennai-Bangalore about 10 times this year; 6 hours is pretty much what it takes door to door for me (Kottivakkam in Chennai, Marathahalli in Bangalore). Irrespective of the time I choose to leave either city, it takes a combined 2 hours within city and 4 hours (with usually a meal break at Vaniyambadi or Pallikonda) on the highway. If I try to time it in such a way that I spend least time in the origin city I hit the destination city at peak traffic, and vice versa :-)

The only option I am yet to try is leaving late in the evening (after 11PM) and attempt to arrive early morning (4AM). Nothing else works.
Old 8th October 2011, 17:02   #543

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanan.skr View Post
You can also try going through this route
Poonamalee - Porur - Guindy - Adyar - Santhome - RK Salai

Traffic in all the city roads is moderate between 11 AM and 3 PM.

NH4 (OMR) through Kolar/Mulbagal/Chittoor has not been 4 laned between Mulbagal & Walaja. Roads are good in almost all places even in the 2 laned part. Also you can save more on Tolls.
Ramanan,

Thanks for your response. I did not get a chance to read your post before leaving on Thursday. I ended up taking the OMR. There were two reasons-

a. I live 2 kms from the high way (close to KR Puram market)
b. The run-in period for my Vento was over and I wanted a bit of adventure

I loved the road, to the point the I hated it when I joined the GQ road at Ranipet. There was a 30 km stretch which was a little tricky, but boy was the drive good. Scenic and challenging.
Old 8th October 2011, 17:05   #544

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
There is no issue regarding safety in Old Madras Road. If you are comfortable driving 2-laners with moderate traffic, go for it, otherwise take the good old Hosur Road. The Vellore and Chittoor route join at Ranipet flyover (110 km from Madras).

If you are doing this on a weekday, you'll run into peak office traffic in Madras if you leave at 5am from Bangalore.
I left home at 5:30 am and reached Shenoy Nager at 10:00 am. Call it luck, I found the roads empty . The toll roads with 4 lanes and heavy toll was when I actually slowed down.
Old 8th October 2011, 19:31   #545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by araman2 View Post
I left home at 5:30 am and reached Shenoy Nager at 10:00 am. Call it luck, I found the roads empty . The toll roads with 4 lanes and heavy toll was when I actually slowed down.
You drove in on Thursday ? Even Friday evening was relatively free, maybe 'cos many had taken off for Dussera!
Old 9th October 2011, 11:32   #546

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
You drove in on Thursday ? Even Friday evening was relatively free, maybe 'cos many had taken off for Dussera!
Drove in Thursday morning. Leaving back to Bangalore shortly. Thinking if I should take the OMR back. If I make good time then no worries, if I get dragged into late evening, the two lane highway may not be the fastest
Old 10th October 2011, 09:50   #547
BHPian

Quote:

Sorry - I could not leave this afternoon as i got stuck at work. I will be leaving tomorrow early morning.
Yes.

Even though my peak speeds touch around 155 kmph - 160 kmph, the average speed comes down drastically once I cover Sriperumpudur - Porur - Madras. This is mainly due to the slow moving truck traffic, sometimes occupying both the lanes.
Old 10th October 2011, 15:57   #548
BHPian

Madras (Adyar area) to Sriperumbudur took about 2 hours yesterday afternoon time.
Old 10th October 2011, 16:02   #549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuraliR View Post
Madras (Adyar area) to Sriperumbudur took about 2 hours yesterday afternoon time.
Confirms my data point.

However, on one occasion I could cover this distance in about 90 minutes on a Sunday morning; and once again, on a Deepavali day.

On working days, yes, this is the time it takes - particularly between Kathipara and Sriperumbudur, you'll have a large number of College buses "obstructing" your progress !
Old 10th October 2011, 16:11   #550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
Yes.

Even though my peak speeds touch around 155 kmph - 160 kmph, the average speed comes down drastically once I cover Sriperumpudur - Porur - Madras. This is mainly due to the slow moving truck traffic, sometimes occupying both the lanes.
Well I did go to chennai on Thursday morning. Was able to leave home only by 7.30AM and was in Chennai by 1PM (mylapore). The drive was a breeze and there was no heavy traffic either from Ponamalle high road, maybe as it was a holiday.
Old 13th October 2011, 16:45   #551
Senior - BHPian

Is the Chennai-Bangalore NH4 is decent all the way till Bangalore? I am planning to do this by 4 AM in the morning to reach Bangalore by around 9 AM.

Route planned is Chennai-Ranipet-Chittoor-Kolar-Bangalore.
Old 13th October 2011, 17:01   #552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Is the Chennai-Bangalore NH4 is decent all the way till Bangalore? I am planning to do this by 4 AM in the morning to reach Bangalore by around 9 AM.

@rameshnanda, I would advice the route Chennai-Ranipet-Vellore-Krishnagiri-Hosur-Bangalore, as the entire stretch is 4-lane and convenient.
Old 13th October 2011, 17:12   #553
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

If the idea is to reach a place in Bangalore closer to Old Madras Road, then yes,
definitely worth taking NH4. Road is good. From Ranipet to Mulbagal its 2L.

Mulbagal to Bangalore is 4L.

For food you have Woody's at Kolar and a couple CCDs on the way.
Old 13th October 2011, 17:36   #554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If the idea is to reach a place in Bangalore closer to Old Madras Road, then yes,
definitely worth taking NH4. Road is good. From Ranipet to Mulbagal its 2L.

Mulbagal to Bangalore is 4L.

For food you have Woody's at Kolar and a couple CCDs on the way.
Thanks Amp. I am not familiar with the Bangalore City. My destination would be HAL 2nd Stage, Indira Nagar. Now, which would be the better route for me to reach Bangalore?

Last edited by rameshnanda : 13th October 2011 at 17:40.
Old 13th October 2011, 17:41   #555
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Amp. I am not familiar with the Bangalore City. My destination would be HAL 2nd Stage, Indira Nagar. Now, which would be the better route for me to reach Bangalore?
NH4 via Kolar is actually easier in this case. Just that you need to be extra careful on the single lane dual carriage road between Mulbagal and Ranipet.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks