Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2011, 23:15   #571
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
NH4 via Kolar is actually easier in this case. Just that you need to be extra careful on the single lane dual carriage road between Mulbagal and Ranipet.
Amp, any recommended food options between Ranipet and Bangalore in NH4? I will have to break for breakfast since I am planning to leave from Chennai at around 4 AM.
Old 5th November 2011, 23:42   #572
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Amp, any recommended food options between Ranipet and Bangalore in NH4? I will have to break for breakfast since I am planning to leave from Chennai at around 4 AM.
@Ramesh,
- There is an A1 Plaza (Nandi Plaza) some where between Palamaner and Chitoor. (Not sure of the exact location). Food is decent, but not all that great
- Kolar has Woodys which is best option (apart from Coffee Day which again is in Kolar).
Both are right on the highway.

Woodys is the best option, but I hope it is not too late for you to arrive at Kolar for BF (around 9AM?)
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2011, 23:53   #573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Ramesh,
- There is an A1 Plaza (Nandi Plaza) some where between Palamaner and Chitoor. (Not sure of the exact location). Food is decent, but not all that great
- Kolar has Woodys which is best option (apart from Coffee Day which again is in Kolar).
Both are right on the highway.

Woodys is the best option, but I hope it is not too late for you to arrive at Kolar for BF (around 9AM?)
Yes. It wouldn't be too late for me. I will break at Woodys at Kolar.
Thanks amp.
rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2011, 23:57   #574
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes. It wouldn't be too late for me. I will break at Woodys at Kolar.
Thanks amp.
While coming from Chennai, the hotel is on your side of the road.
First you would see a Coffee again on your side followed by Woodys at some distance.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2011, 06:54   #575
Senior - BHPian

was reading about the new planned "Expressway" between bangalore and chennai - and this is the route they are planning - so there goes the last bit of old highway - replaced by the soulless motorway!
Old 6th November 2011, 22:02   #576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
was reading about the new planned "Expressway" between bangalore and chennai - and this is the route they are planning - so there goes the last bit of old highway - replaced by the soulless motorway!
Its going to be an entirely different route right? for the Chennai-Bangalore Expressway?
Old 7th November 2011, 07:39   #577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its going to be an entirely different route right? for the Chennai-Bangalore Expressway?
From what Ive read - its going to be on this route - via Chitoor, palmaner and Kolar. I am so hoping that I am wrong.
Old 7th November 2011, 07:59   #578
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
From what Ive read - its going to be on this route - via Chitoor, palmaner and Kolar.
The new expressway will be routed through Palamaner alright, but on a new alignment. See here for more details. The existing NH 4 will remain untouched.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 7th November 2011 at 08:00.
  (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2011, 08:09   #579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi
The new expressway will be routed through Palamaner alright, but on a new alignment. See here for more details. The existing NH 4 will remain untouched.
This is an extremely beautiful stretch. I have taken this route twice from pallikonda to palamner.
Old 7th November 2011, 18:54   #580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I had seen this alignment sometime back: Old Madras Road to get. Looks slightly different to me.

On a related note, there is a lot of digging going on till Krishnagiri on both sides of NH 46. Likely they are constructing service roads (and not widening the GQ as such), but still it would be very welcome.
Old 7th November 2011, 18:55   #581
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
On a related note, there is a lot of digging going on till Krishnagiri on both sides of NH 46. Likely they are constructing service roads (and not widening the GQ as such), but still it would be very welcome.

I heard/read somewhere about 6L for Bangalore-Krishnagiri.
That may be the reason for digging.
Old 7th November 2011, 18:57   #582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I heard/read somewhere about 6L for Bangalore-Krishnagiri.
That may be the reason for digging.
Oops! I mentioned NH 46, which means from the Chennai end. I didn't notice when the digging started, though (likely after Vellore).
Old 7th November 2011, 19:05   #583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand

Oops! I mentioned NH 46, which means from the Chennai end. I didn't notice when the digging started, though (likely after Vellore).
The digging is happening after pallikonda till vaniyambadi if I remember correctly.
Old 7th November 2011, 19:10   #584
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
NHAI has taken up 6-laning of NH 7 between Hosur and Krishnagiri.
Name:  HosurKrishnagiri6laning.png
Views: 723
Size:  6.7 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
The digging is happening after pallikonda till vaniyambadi if I remember correctly.
Along with that, Krishnagiri to Walajhapet section on NH 46 has also been taken up.
Name:  KsinagiriToWalajhapet.png
Views: 742
Size:  7.7 KB
All these 6-laning works are estimated to be completed by December 2013. Details are here.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 7th November 2011 at 19:13.
  (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2011, 20:33   #585
Senior - BHPian

Quick couple of questions.

1. When do the fuel pumps open along the GQ route, especially in TN (Hosur/Krishnagiri stretch)? I am traveling tomorrow morning, and I think I have about 70-80 km worth of fuel in the car. Wondering whether I should go out now for a fill at KA rates, or fill in the morning - in which case I'd wait till I enter TN (fuel price arbitraging :-). I intend to start at 5AM from home (Marathahalli).

2. I am rather sick of the Porur-Guindy route to my destination (Kottivakkam, on the ECR few kms beyond Thiruvanmiyur) - traffic jams, metro construction etc. Last time it took me about 1.5 hours from Poonamallee to home - distance of about 25 km. Am looking at alternatives:

a. Go along the highway till Ega Theatre, turn towards Nungambakkam-Gemini flyover and then either Alwarpet-Besant Nagar-home or Kotturpuram-Madhya Kailas-IT Expressway-home.

b. Take the Chennai bypass, Irumbuliyur-Tambaram-Medavakkam-Sholinganallur-ECR-home.

Which should it be? Or is it even worth it? I expect to hit the city between 10 and 11 AM tomorrow.

Most Viewed