Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2011, 13:19   #601
Team-BHP Support

re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Also, from Marathahalli, it is better to join NH4 via ORR-KR Puram or Varthur-Whitefield?
Edit: Food is not a problem for me, since my wife ensures I carry my own.
Take the Varthur Whitefied. It might be better. You have 2L from Mulbagal to Ranipet and the road is very decent.
Not sure of the traffic though.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2011, 19:47   #602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Take the Varthur Whitefied. It might be better. You have 2L from Mulbagal to Ranipet and the road is very decent.
Not sure of the traffic though.
Hi, just to comment on the above. Between the 2-lane stretch after Mulbagal - Palamaner - Chitoor one can expect heavy truck/bus traffic. I was held up by one of the lengthy trailers for close to 5 minutes and I could not get a clear stretch to overtake it as the roads were twisty. Don't expect them to give you space. Drive carefully on this stretch and overtake cautiously only when you have clear visibility. After Chitoor the truck traffic eases a bit and you will have the usual traffic only after you are back on GQ.
Old 7th December 2011, 20:41   #603
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSlick View Post
Hi, just to comment on the above. Between the 2-lane stretch after Mulbagal - Palamaner - Chitoor one can expect heavy truck/bus traffic. I was held up by one of the lengthy trailers for close to 5 minutes and I could not get a clear stretch to overtake it as the roads were twisty. Don't expect them to give you space. Drive carefully on this stretch and overtake cautiously only when you have clear visibility. After Chitoor the truck traffic eases a bit and you will have the usual traffic only after you are back on GQ.
The traffic being heavy on the 2L is known. What I was not sure is if this changes on a Sunday. Any ideas on that ?
Old 7th December 2011, 22:51   #604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The traffic being heavy on the 2L is known. What I was not sure is if this changes on a Sunday. Any ideas on that ?
I did try this road few weeks back. I started from Chennai at around 4.00 AM on a Saturday and reached Woodys at Kolar by 7.45 AM. The roads were very much free. I took the same route for the return as well on Sunday. I started at 11 AM from Bangalore. This time the traffic after Mulbagal got worse with lots and lots of trucks.
Old 8th December 2011, 10:45   #605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
I did try this road few weeks back. I started from Chennai at around 4.00 AM on a Saturday and reached Woodys at Kolar by 7.45 AM. The roads were very much free. I took the same route for the return as well on Sunday. I started at 11 AM from Bangalore. This time the traffic after Mulbagal got worse with lots and lots of trucks.
Ramesh,

You are absolutely correct. If you are using this road to go to Chennai or Tirupati the trick is to leave early in the morning so that you cross Palmaner/Chittoor before truck wallahs come on the Road
Old 8th December 2011, 12:51   #606
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Ampere, I had started from BLR around 10:00 AM on a Sunday and the traffic was heavy even on a weekend. Same as Ramesh has mentioned above.
SuperSlick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 14:05   #607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSlick View Post
Hi Ampere, I had started from BLR around 10:00 AM on a Sunday and the traffic was heavy even on a weekend. Same as Ramesh has mentioned above.
Well, I'm hoping I'll be on, or very near to, GQ NH4 by 10AM

In summary: Bangalore-Mulbagal, about 90km, is good 4-lane dual carriageway with no toll being collected currently.

Mulbagal-Chittoor, about 80km, is 2-lane single carriageway and can have heavy truck traffic. But nothing to make the patient, careful driver worry.

Chittoor bypass - ?

Chittoor (NH18 Jn)-Ranipet (NH46 Jn), about 50km, is single carriageway but not as bad in terms of traffic as the previous section.

In total, about 220 km which I am hoping to do in about 4 hours. A further 85km to Poonamallee, which means a good 50km shorter compared to the GQ route.

I am also assuming the bane of the driving enthusiast in KA - the almightly speedbreaker - does not make any appearance in this stretch.
Old 9th December 2011, 12:38   #608
BHPian

[quote=I am also assuming the bane of the driving enthusiast in KA - the almightly speedbreaker - does not make any appearance in this stretch.[/QUOTE]

Hi Binand, just be careful as there was a speedbreaker right after the 4 laned roads end at Mulbagal. It was not marked and I was lucky enough to spot it early and slow down. Not sure if it is still there or better marked now.
SuperSlick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2011, 13:45   #609
Senior - BHPian

So I did Bangalore-Chennai via NH4 today.

Started from home at 5:40 AM and hit Kattanallur on NH4 at 6:10 (via Varthur-Whitefield). Almost immediately came the first tollbooth - unmanned - and then, in the next 3-4 km, THREE mega-speedbreakers. The dual carriageway till Mulbagal was a breeze - traffic was much lower than the GQ route, and I felt the drivers were a bit more disciplined.

Once the dual carriageway ended, road surface deteriorated too - but only in KA. The moment I entered AP, the median and shoulder lines were visible, shoulders were ample and the surface was as smooth as a baby's bottom. There was a pileup near the RTO/Sales Tax checkpost at Palamneru, mainly due to a truck that was loaded wider than the road. Once that was sorted out, it was a clear drive beyond.

Traffic started building up near Chittoor, but abruptly dropped to almost zero once the turnout to Vellore was passed. Crawled through Walajapet to hit GQ at around 9:40.

Times: Kolar - 6:40, Mulbagal - 7:00, Palamneru - 8:00, Chittoor - 8:40.

Observation: It took me 4 hours today, and 4 hours the last time I went via Krishnagiri-Vaniyambadi (from home to Chennasamudram toll booth). The distance is about 30km less. So there appears to be no time saving. Of course, the NH4 route has no active toll booths. Plus, the experience - AP countryside in full glory in the morning.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2011, 01:25   #610
BHPian

Hi, i am planning to do Chennai to Bangalore - chennai this weekend. Can anyone please suggest the best possible route.

Will leave to Bangalore by 4am from chennai velachery, Good roads are of concern and not time.

Some one suggested
Chennai-Ranipet-Vellore-Krishnagiri-Hosur-Bangalore
Old 13th December 2011, 06:55   #611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish82
Hi, i am planning to do Chennai to Bangalore - chennai this weekend. Can anyone please suggest the best possible route.

Will leave to Bangalore by 4am from chennai velachery, Good roads are of concern and not time.

Some one suggested
Where exactly do you want to go in Bangalore. Depending on that can suggest a route and food options
prabhuferrari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2011, 07:41   #612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish82

Some one suggested
The best road would be to use the GQ stretch. Chennai - Kanchipuram - vellore - ambur- krishnagiri - hosur - Blr

Always the best stretch to do.
aravind84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2011, 07:45   #613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish82 View Post

Some one suggested

Thats the best route. a bit longer but much better than the alternative via ranipet > Chittor > mulbagal > kolar > bangalore.its a two lane road vs the 4 lane via hosur.
abishek2222 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2011, 09:11   #614
BHPian

Quote:

Some one suggested
Add to that - the options to get out of Chennai City:
(Since it is 4 AM, it may not be of much concern though)

The fastest (yet the longest) will be taking Tambaram-Chennai Byepass- to join PH Road. The cons being the extra distance, and the 30 Rs toll you need to pay.
Though I don't know for sure the latest road surface condition, the other option, the shortest route is via Mudichur Road (from Tambaram) to join NH4 near Sriperumbudur.
ThePunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2011, 09:44   #615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi, i am planning to do Chennai to Bangalore - chennai this weekend. Will leave to Bangalore by 4am from chennai velachery,
If you can really leave at 4am, drive the Vellore-Krishnagiri route regardless of your destination, you'll definitely cross Attibele by 8 beyond that can't say
~~~~~
Am curious to know, how's the traffic patterns in Chitoor route especially Ranipet to Palamaner. What is the best and worst time to negotiate the section ?
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed