Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2012, 09:05   #901
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
I need suggestions on route to covelong beach near Chennai. Where should I take diversion on the GQ?
I will suggest a slightly alternate route which i prefer over the currently constructed route.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=N...via=1&t=m&z=12

As Dhuli suggested you have to take a right after Nokia. Only difference is that you have slightly take a left to get into this road. Ask for Mannivakkam/Tambaram route. This route is free of traffic and except a small stretch which is 2kms of single lane the rest of the stretch is newly laid and is fantastic. Hardly takes 20 minutes to reach Mudichoor road and from there reaching vandalur takes another 20 mins.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2012, 11:08   #902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I will suggest a slightly alternate route which i prefer over the currently constructed route.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=N...via=1&t=m&z=12

As Dhuli suggested you have to take a right after Nokia. Only difference is that you have slightly take a left to get into this road. Ask for Mannivakkam/Tambaram route. This route is free of traffic and except a small stretch which is 2kms of single lane the rest of the stretch is newly laid and is fantastic. Hardly takes 20 minutes to reach Mudichoor road and from there reaching vandalur takes another 20 mins.
Thanks VW2010. This road has come up in this forum before. However it was considered not very motorable. Nice to hear that it has been done up. At the Nokia junction, this road has always evaded me! Now, I realize from your description that one needs to go left on to a service road at the traffic signal post and then take a right, instead of getting on to the Oragadam road. Will try this the next time. When did you last drive on this stretch?
Old 31st July 2012, 11:23   #903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When did you last drive on this stretch?
Last Thursday evening. The best way to not miss this stretch is dont take a right at the junction(signal). Go forward and take an U at the next available point(1-2Kms). When you come towards this signal get into the service lane. Before the signal there is a Left close to MGR statue if i am right. This is before the SH57 and is called SH110. This is also called the kodambakkam-sriperumbudur road. On this road you have to take a diversion again towards Mannivakkam. Watch out for the right turn on 110 after 2kms or so. Roads are very good.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2012, 23:02   #904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010

Last Thursday evening. The best way to not miss this stretch is dont take a right at the junction(signal). Go forward and take an U at the next available point(1-2Kms). When you come towards this signal get into the service lane. Before the signal there is a Left close to MGR statue if i am right. This is before the SH57 and is called SH110. This is also called the kodambakkam-sriperumbudur road. On this road you have to take a diversion again towards Mannivakkam. Watch out for the right turn on 110 after 2kms or so. Roads are very good.
+1, This way you need not keep searching for (not so bright) Nokia board. The Rajiv gandhi memorial is much more prominent and the U turn is actually in the junction of NH and road to sriperumpudur bus stand.

I wonder what stops them from completing the bridge work and that 2 km stretch.
This route is shorter but not divided highway like most part of sriperumpudur - oragadam - vandalor. Be careful. Also, the time savings is not much particularly if you reach there during traffic times.

Last edited by Vizay : 31st July 2012 at 23:06.
Vizay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2012, 23:20   #905
Senior - BHPian

Planning to start at around 7PM to Chennai tomorrow.

I have driven the Krishnagiri - Vellore route many times, but wondering whether it will be the right choice this time around due to the construction & diversions.

Should I opt for the Kollar - Chittoor - Arcot route? I have never driven this route. How is it and how much time will it take? Say from Silk Board to Nelson Manickam Road.

And will it make more sense to start early morning on Sat than Friday?
Old 3rd August 2012, 06:45   #906
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn

I have driven the Krishnagiri - Vellore route many times, but wondering whether it will be the right choice this time around due to the construction & diversions.

Should I opt for the Kollar - Chittoor - Arcot route? I have never driven this route. How is it and how much time will it take? Say from Silk Board to Nelson Manickam Road.

And will it make more sense to start early morning on Sat than Friday?
My personal choice would be to start by Saturday morning unless you are very comfortable with night drive. Also the expressway is NOT bad. You clearly have deviations marked all through and quality of road is good. Since you are starting close to silk board makes sense to take the Hosur route only.
Old 3rd August 2012, 08:58   #907
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
If you are comfortable with night drive, I would say start at 930pm than 7pm. You'd still have some traffic to negotiate till you cross Krishnagiri. After that it would be smooth sailing all the way to Madras. You'd reach around 230am.

Given that you are trying to reach the messiest traffic points in Madras, I would do it as a night drive or an ultra-early morning drive (starting like 3ish).
Old 3rd August 2012, 09:59   #908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you are comfortable with night drive, I would say start at 930pm than 7pm.
Friday traffic volume would be high. With that in mind if you are staying close to Electronic city you can start by 7PM and still reach Chennai around mid night. The roads are pretty safe at night if you maintain your lane and speed.

I did the OMR road at night and though it is single lane, its pretty ok if you just stick to decent speed and dont try too much of fun in that single lane.

GQ is a pretty safe road at night as well. Roads are always safe. You just need to stay awake.

Bangalore - Chennai is a single sitting drive and usually i never take any break. So i save close to 35 minutes of stop and go.
Old 3rd August 2012, 10:16   #909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Friday traffic volume would be high. With that in mind if you are staying close to Electronic city you can start by 7PM and still reach Chennai around mid night.
From his post, I was guessing BTM, HSR or Koramangala by the mention of Silk Board. If thats the case it would take more than 1/2 hour for him to just get on BETL, which was the reason for 930. This was it'll be late for city traffic and you edge ahead of the omni bus traffic. But that's subject to how long he's capable of night drive holding off sleep. 7pm works if sleep is a bigger nemesis than traffic.

I did the 930pm-230am starting at Malleswaram and taking the NICE (this was a year back).
Old 3rd August 2012, 10:18   #910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
rom his post, I was guessing BTM, HSR or Koramangala by the mention of Silk Board. If thats the case it would take more than 1/2 hour for him to just get on BETL, which was the reason for 930.
No second thought in that. He would take atleast 1 hour to just get out of the traffic zones to hit some 80-90kmph roads comeing from where he is. If electronic city i still believe he can start at 7 and reach by mid night or just over mid night.

Last thursday i started at 6 in Hebbel and reached Tambaram by 11. I rarely did over 120.
Old 4th August 2012, 13:39   #911
BHPian

Friends, which is the best route from Chennai (maduravoyal) to Bangalore ?

Is it Sriperambudur-Arcot-Vellore -Krishnagiri-Hosur-Bangalore (NH48) ?
or
Sriperambudur-Arcot-Chittoor-Kolar-Bangalore (NH75) ?

Planning to leave Chennai for Bangalore tomorrow at around 8 am.
Old 4th August 2012, 17:37   #912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post
Friends, which is the best route from Chennai (maduravoyal) to Bangalore ?

Is it Sriperambudur-Arcot-Vellore -Krishnagiri-Hosur-Bangalore (NH48) ?
or
Sriperambudur-Arcot-Chittoor-Kolar-Bangalore (NH75) ?

Planning to leave Chennai for Bangalore tomorrow at around 8 am.
It depends on these factors:
  1. Your ability to drive on two-lane, single-carriageway roads. The latter route (via Chittoor) has about 125km of such road. The former is entirely dual carriageway with two, and nowadays for long stretches, three lanes in one direction, but about 30km longer.
  2. Your destination in Bangalore. The latter route is preferred for north and north-east Bangalore as well as parts of east and central Bangalore. The former route (via Krishnagiri) is good for south and west Bangalore and parts of north Bangalore.
In addition:
  • The former has good options for food while the latter is somewhat sparse for restaurants,
  • The former appears (to me at least) passes through a lot of urban areas while the latter is mostly rural,
  • As a consequence, the latter is a lot more scenic and conducive for relaxed driving than the former,
  • Both pass through three district HQs with presumably increased access to medical and banking facilities in case of an emergency,
  • The detour circuits are different for the two routes
and so on.

In short, there is no "one correct answer" to your question - if there were, the other road would have been a ghost town already
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2012, 23:37   #913
Senior - BHPian

As binand said its the destination that matters with respect to route. If somewhere between Hosur and Electronic city take GQ. If somewhere along hebbel or KR puram stay with OMR. You WILL save atleast 1 hour.
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2012, 11:02   #914
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
It depends on these factors:
  1. Your ability to drive on two-lane, single-carriageway roads. The latter route (via Chittoor) has about 125km of such road. The former is entirely dual carriageway with two, and nowadays for long stretches, three lanes in one direction, but about 30km longer.
  2. Your destination in Bangalore. The latter route is preferred for north and north-east Bangalore as well as parts of east and central Bangalore. The former route (via Krishnagiri) is good for south and west Bangalore and parts of north Bangalore.
Quote:
As binand said its the destination that matters with respect to route. If somewhere between Hosur and Electronic city take GQ. If somewhere along hebbel or KR puram stay with OMR. You WILL save atleast 1 hour.
Hello binand and others,

I am planning to drive down from Chennai (Avadi) to Yelagiri, via Vaniyambadi, on Aug 11th, 2012.

And, I want to avoid the main highway.

I have planned the following theoretical route: -

SH 55 to Vaniyambadi, Tamil Nadu, India - Google Maps

Is the route OK?

Also, which route is better for the Thiruthani-Chittoor stretch? Via Nagari? Or via Sholinghur?

Thanks in adv.

Last edited by skdking : 5th August 2012 at 11:22.
Old 5th August 2012, 11:49   #915
BHPian

Just came back to Bangalore after a weekend trip. Took the kolar palamner gaudily attain pallikonda route while going. The palamner gudiyattam route is almost ready. Can maintain 80 at most of the stretches. Initially wanted to try the V?Kota route, but 14kms of bad roads put me off. It was pouring like crazy on Friday evening, and it took me 5.30 hrs from MG road to Saligramam.

While returning took the chitoor route. Left Saligramam by 5 in morning and reached Hebbal by 9.30 AM. Saw a bike gang doing 160+ speeds between mulbagal and KR puram. Looked like high end sports bike. Quote a sight to see 2 wheelers zooming past you and disappearing in the distance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks