Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2012, 12:06   #916
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
I am planning to drive down from Chennai (Avadi) to Yelagiri, via Vaniyambadi, on Aug 11th, 2012.
And, I want to avoid the main highway.
Not worth it IMO and Tiruvallur-Tiruttani is not a good road to take. You don't need to hit Vaniyambadi to get to Yelagiri. The turnoff is much before that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Just came back to Bangalore after a weekend trip. Took the kolar palamner gaudily attain pallikonda route while going. The palamner gudiyattam route is almost ready. Can maintain 80 at most of the stretches.
Which is the exact turnoff to Gudiyatham from Pallikonda. Is it well marked ? I remember 2 board (atleast) pointing to Gudiyatham after Vellore, but which one to take ?

Last edited by narayans80 : 5th August 2012 at 12:08.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2012, 13:00   #917
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Not worth it IMO and Tiruvallur-Tiruttani is not a good road to take. You don't need to hit Vaniyambadi to get to Yelagiri. The turnoff is much before that.
?
Thanks for the update.

BTW, Where is the turn for Yelagiri?
Old 5th August 2012, 14:05   #918
BHPian

Sorry for the second post.

Quote:
Also, since Tiruvallur-Tiruttani is not a good road to take can I take the road from thiruvallur to wallajah via arakkonam. How is that road?

Anything to minimise the monotony of the main highway.

Or can you recommend any other route, please.

Thanks in advance.
Old 5th August 2012, 14:16   #919
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BTW, Where is the turn for Yelagiri?
It would be close to 197 km milestone from Madras, Yelagiri is 28 km from there.

Quote:
Anything to minimise the monotony of the main highway.
Its barely 215 km from Madras and alternates aren't worth it. They are longer and conditions worse.
~~~~~
Instead, why don't you try Horsley Hills ? Apart from the 110 km to Ranipet, rest are all 2-laners.

Last edited by narayans80 : 5th August 2012 at 14:22.
Old 5th August 2012, 14:27   #920
BHPian

Quote:
It would be close to 197 km milestone from Madras, Yelagiri is 28 km from there.
Yup. You are right. I will be better off sticking to the main highway.

And I am not sure of locating the turn to Yelagiri. Can you post a google map of the turning place, please.
Old 5th August 2012, 14:44   #921
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And I am not sure of locating the turn to Yelagiri. Can you post a google map of the turning place, please.
Here's the map. Its very easy to spot the turn, it is marked Yelagiri 28 km on left, its some 20-30 km from Pallikonda toll.
Old 5th August 2012, 15:28   #922
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And if you forget the turn, easy way to check:

If you reach the Vanyambadi toll gate, be assured that you have gone past.
Take a U, and at the second flyover you will see the board for Yelagiri.
Get off the GQ, and then go below. That is the Tirupattur SH which is also the road for Yelagiri.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2012, 15:40   #923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80

Which is the exact turnoff to Gudiyatham from Pallikonda. Is it well marked ? I remember 2 board (atleast) pointing to Gudiyatham after Vellore, but which one to take ?
The turn right after pallikonda, I would recommend this route while coming from Bangalore. Reason is you have to climb the hill on few sharp bends while going from chennai. You should look for a right turn before you hit palamner city when you come from Bangalore. Huge yesteryear yellow board will be there on the right side for Gudiyattam diversion from Palamner.
prabhuferrari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2012, 16:16   #924
BHPian

Did regular Blr - Chn - Blr weekend trip last week (up, down both in GQ.
Started on Friday (very late evening) and got stuck in traffic jam for about 30 mins in Hosur - Krishnagiri section (no clue on why), just appeared that oncoming vehicles came on to wrong lane and got stuck. High time NHAI quickens the 6 laning work!
Section after Samudram toll booth, seemed to have improved a bit (some patching). Funny to see 6 laning in full swing till walajah and then it is 4 lanes. (I don't know after Sriperumpudur as I turn off to Tambaram at that point).
Rest of the trip was just as usual.

GQ toll rates are up (5 rs each at L&T booths and at Attibele).. The toll booth personnel gave a surprised look when asked and said, "saar! it went up 2-3 months ago!" High time we ditch this !

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I will suggest a slightly alternate route which i prefer over the currently constructed route. ...
Nice Section VW2010! I used to use and then gave up after the road conditions wend bad from worse. Now a nice transformation to classic 2 lane - median less- bordered by trees route!
Old 6th August 2012, 17:08   #925
BHPian

Quote:
[/list]
Also, which route is better for the Thiruthani-Chittoor stretch? Via Nagari? Or via Sholinghur?
Purely from a Chittoor to Thiruthani perspective, also true for Thiruthani to Walajah/Ranipet (depending on the Bangalore-Chennai highway you are taking,) Sholinghur is the best option (couple of diversions, and narrow roads in Sholinghur nothwithstanding.)

Regards
Vijay
root is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2012, 11:28   #926
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for all the tips guys.

I took the GQ both ways since getting to OMR would have cost us a lot of time as I stay at Bannerghatta Road. Started at around 7:30 PM on Friday and reached Nelson Manickam road at 1:30 AM.

Was not easy to drive on the newly laid tarmac without the lane marking at night. Not very easy to place the car on wide tarmac with no reference. It is like that at a few places and is pitch black during the night.

But the diversions are all well marked. We started back at 3PM on Sunday and reached home at 9PM. The trip meter showed 330KM and we stopped at A2B for dinner both ways.
Old 7th August 2012, 14:37   #927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Was not easy to drive on the newly laid tarmac without the lane marking at night. Not very easy to place the car on wide tarmac with no reference. It is like that at a few places and is pitch black during the night.
You are right. I had pointed out another problem with such unmarked stretches in this post:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2834221
Old 8th August 2012, 11:07   #928
Senior - BHPian

All,

Took a new route today from Chennai to Bangalore. Started at around 510 near Nokia and reached Manyata BP by 930.

From Nokia, reached Pallikonda and took a right there. From there reached the OMR at Palamaner.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=p...ra=ls&t=m&z=11

I would suggest this route over the venkatagirikota.

This connecting road is almost empty, is wider and feels far more complete. Has drivers dream of winding roads as you climb and descent a small mountain.

Watch out for those two or three stretches of narrow road and plan your entry based on vehicles from the opposite direction.

Except that the road is heavenly.

Lots of monkeys and you can actually hear birds chirping as you drive down with your windows.

Pristine could be a word we can use as it goes through two check post as part of forest reserves i think.

And today morning the forest officers were actually dropping bananas all through the roads for the monkeys. Nice to see that. My only assumption is that they are forest officials.

I am taking the same route back to Chennai tomorrow. WIll report on evening journey and how the traffic is at that time.

I hardly did anything over 100 till OMR. From OMR to Hebbel it was completely empty till in entered RA Puram. So was clocking close to 130-140.
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2012, 14:12   #929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
From Nokia, reached Pallikonda and took a right there. From there reached the OMR at Palamaner.
Lovely update!! This is the route I was asking Prabhu a few posts back. Just one question, what is the right at Pallikonda marked as ?
Old 8th August 2012, 14:22   #930
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just one question, what is the right at Pallikonda marked as ?
Just after the vellore toll, there is a sign board that says Pallikonda at right.

This is perhaps the first right after the toll both. Cannot miss this road. This is to me the fastest route to Bangalore through OMR.

I avoided Wallajah, Ranipet taffic.

Another important update to add is that the sun light falls beautifully between the trees and the morning image in this route is very pleasing.

Roads from Gudiyatham for first 8kms is two lane. For next 2 kms becomes 1.2 lanes. Then the forest reserve starts and you drive through a small mountain on some not bad roads(Actually very decent roads).This extends for another 8-10 kms.

The plains after the second check post is mildly wider than single lane with good shoulders which is getting build in some places as well.

Lots of scope to stop and take pictures

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks