Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2012, 11:47   #1111
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

I have observed that my mileage is higher while taking the chittoor route as I have to keep it under 90kmph on most stretches. May be it's the speed I drive at normally, I don't see a major difference in time between the two routes (Probably because i dont push it really even on the GQ route,keep it around 100). The truck traffic on the chittoor route is quite unpredictable and if you encounter a few of them in the two-lane areas or get caught in the smaller towns your average speed might come down a little. It's better to avoid the chittoor route for late evening/night drives as the GQ is much more comfortable with the median in place. OMR upto KR puram/budigere can be a little deceptive at times eating up quite a bit of time.
Old 6th January 2013, 14:42   #1112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
All,

Took a new route today from Chennai to Bangalore.

From Nokia, reached Pallikonda and took a right there. From there reached the OMR at Palamaner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
This is the route I take regularly. One of the most scenic ones, now with trees covering the roads, hills, landscape. and yes it is the first right after pallikonda toll booth. The mountain is where tamilnadu border ends and andha starts.
Sorry for quoting old posts, but I plan to do a Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore drive over the next weekend (lol at writing this, sitting in Pune ) with a friend. Ever since you guys discussed this, I have been itching to try out the Pallikonda - Palamaner route. Will update soon!
Old 15th January 2013, 12:16   #1113
BHPian

Have been to chennai this weekend and took the SH110 to reach Tambaram.

Except for the first 2 kms, The road is freshly laid and took us not more than 25mins to reach Tambaram from Sriperumbudur.

Lot of diversions all the way. Took us 6hrs in the jeep.

Regards,
Krishna.
Old 17th January 2013, 15:59   #1114
BHPian

Did Bangalore-Chennai-Bangalore last week. Details of the drive is given below:

Onward journey:
Route: Bangalore(AECS Layout)-ITPL-Hope Farm-Hoskote-Kolar-Mulbagal-Palmaner-Gudiyattam-Pallikonda-Vellore-Sriperumbudur-Oragadam-Padappai-Vandalur-Mambakkam-Kelambakkam
Date of Journey: 12-Jan-2013
Start Time:
05.15 AM
Reach Time: 11.05 AM
Stops: 20 mins@CCD/Adigas complex after Kolar Bypass
Road Information:
Bangalore(AECS Layout) to Hoskote : Good roads with very less traffic because of early hours.
Hoskote to Mulbagal - Excellent 4-line roads. The traffic was on on higher side because of Pongal weekend. Lot of stretches between Hoskote-Kolar were completely foggy. Stopped at Coffee day after Kolar bypass.
Mulbagal to Palmaner – The roads from Mulbagal bypass to KA-AP border is not in good condition. There are occasional potholes and the ride is bumpy because of patch work. After entering AP, the road condition improves. Traffic was moderate.
Palmaner to Gudiyattam – Very scenic route with sparse traffic. There are some sections in the forest area (AP) where the road works are going on. These sections are not smooth, but manageable as the traffic is very less. The road condition improves after entering TN. Roads after TN border to Gudiyattam is superb.
Gudiyattam to Pallikonda – The roads are not good and crowded in Gudiyattam town. After crossing the town the condition improves. The traffic was moderate. The road will join Krishnagiri-Vellore GQ in Pallikonda town just before the Toll booth.
Pallikonda to Sriperumbudur – Nothing much to update. There are numerous diversions in between Vellore to Arcot. There are some excellent stretches also on which the six lane work got completed. Reached Sriperumbudur (Nokia SEZ junction) around 10.15 AM, It took 5 hours from Bangalore with 20 mins break.
Sriperumbudur to Vandalur – This road is in good condition and traffic is less. The 4-laning work is completed almost 75% of this stretch.
Vandalur to Kelambakkam – Good roads with less traffic.
It was a sedate drive and I got a very good mileage of 20.5 in my 1 month old Ertiga

Return journey:
Route: Kelambakkam-Vandalur-Padaappai-Oragadam-Sriperumbudur-Vellore-Vaniyambadi-Krishanagiri-Hosur-Attibele-Sarjapur-Dommasandra-Varatur-ITPL
Date of Journey: 15-Jan-2013
Start Time:
04.05 AM
Reach Time: 08.30 AM
Stops: 2 bio stops for total 5 mins.
Road Information:
Kelambakkam to Sriperumbudur : Traffic was almost nil as it was early. It was foggy in between Vandalur to Oragadam.
Sriperumbudur to Vellore – The traffic was very less. It was foggy in some sections between Kanchipuram and Vellore. The truck traffic was very less as compared to normal days.
Vellore to Krishangiri –Excellent roads with some diversions. As traffic was less, there were any problems in any of the diversions. Really enjoyed the some of the best section between Vaniyambadi to Krishnagiri.
Krishangiri to Attibele – It took only 45 minutes to reach Attibele. There were no queues in Krishnagiri/Attibele tolls booths.
Attibele to ITPL – Faced heavy fog in this route. The progress was very slow as the visibility got reduced to 10 meters. Took 45 minutes to travel 29 kms from Attibele to ITPL with moderate traffic.
A sprint drive without any breaks, the less traffic also helped a lot to cover the distance faster.

Regards,
Deepak
denver85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2013, 22:18   #1115
Senior - BHPian

Friends,

If anyone is traveling alone B'lore-Chennai-Bangalore this weekend, and have a free seat, can you please let me know (or PM me) if its okay to accompany you?

Thanks
-Ravi
Old 15th February 2013, 09:43   #1116

After driving for a few months every weekend on the Blr-Chennai-Blr stretch, I see so many familiar vehicles, I was wondering if there is a car pool or interested folks can join - I do Bangalore-Chennai on Monday start early morning and return start Friday evening every week.

Or if you see a Ford Fiesta sea grey with Team BHP stickers say hi .
Old 17th February 2013, 21:48   #1117
BHPian

Hi,

Can anyone help me with directions to reach R A Puram.

I am planning to start on Tue' early morning and back on same day.

Cheers,
Raps
Old 17th February 2013, 22:47   #1118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raps View Post
Hi,

Can anyone help me with directions to reach R A Puram.

I am planning to start on Tue' early morning and back on same day.

Cheers,
Raps
I think the shortest would be through Ponamallee-Porur-Kathipara-Guimdy.
Residents should be able to give a better take.
Old 17th February 2013, 23:35   #1119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Sorry for quoting old posts, but I plan to do a Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore drive over the next weekend (lol at writing this, sitting in Pune ) with a friend. Ever since you guys discussed this, I have been itching to try out the Pallikonda - Palamaner route. Will update soon!
Waiting for that update ninja. From my experience, I found it a lot more interesting driving through chittor-Palamaner (there are some semi-ghat sections here) than on the 4 lane Vellore-Ambur-Krishnagiri road, but that was 10 years ago, so please update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think the shortest would be through Ponamallee-Porur-Kathipara-Guimdy.
Residents should be able to give a better take.
Think you got it right, there are no major problems with that route to think of a longer or better route.
Old 22nd February 2013, 12:39   #1120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Waiting for that update ninja. From my experience, I found it a lot more interesting driving through chittor-Palamaner (there are some semi-ghat sections here) than on the 4 lane Vellore-Ambur-Krishnagiri road, but that was 10 years ago, so please update.
Oops, missed out on this post. Let me get back to you with a slightly detailed update on the route taken. Overall there were pros & cons, will revert back over the weekend.
Old 1st March 2013, 20:07   #1121
Senior - BHPian

Just noticed that Google Maps is routing via an obscure route between Kolar and Mulbagal; it is not taking NH4. Is there something I need to worry about? I am off to Chennai for the weekend (Saturday out via NH4, Sunday in via GQ). Also, how is the GQ route six-laning work progressing?
Old 1st March 2013, 22:54   #1122
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Just noticed that Google Maps is routing via an obscure route between Kolar and Mulbagal; it is not taking NH4. Is there something I need to worry about? I am off to Chennai for the weekend (Saturday out via NH4, Sunday in via GQ). Also, how is the GQ route six-laning work progressing?
Seems like a glitch in gmaps, hadn't seen this earlier but seeing it now
Anyways, you don't have to take that obscure route, stay on NH4 itself if it's your first time. There is a CCD outlet on the right side at Chittoor and just about 0.5 Km ahead is the turn off on right for the Chennai route (chittoor bypass towards chennai side) which will take you via Ranipet. At Ranipet make a right turn to merge on to the GQ (in between Chittoor and Ranipet avoid all other forks to right side that are marked for Vellore and stay on the left forks marked for Chennai).
Last I know, the 6 laning work on the Krishnagiri-Vellore stretch is progressing well, there are well marked diversions but shoulders missing in lot of stretches and this route may be a pain during peak traffic hours.
What time do you plan to start and where do you live in Bangalore ? That can also help decide which option to take.
EDIT: Adding Landmarks since there are many CCD's as @Amp has mentioned:
The CCD I mentioned is on the right side at Chittoor and has few coconut trees in the front which is the parking lot. Also, about 100m further ahead on the left you can see a left turn which is the Chittoor bypass towards Tirupathi and there is a Hotel Bans there (just adding this as landmarks but don't take the chittoor bypass to left which is for Tirupathi!)

Last edited by NPV : 1st March 2013 at 23:16. Reason: Adding Landmarks
Old 1st March 2013, 23:07   #1123
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Anyways, you don't have to take that obscure route, stay on NH4 itself if it's your first time. There is a CCD outlet on the right side at Chittoor and just about 0.5 Km ahead is the turn off on right for the Chennai route which will take you via Ranipet
There are many of them !

- At Chitoor Bypass.
- There is one more before the bypass (I think spotted it at Nandi Plaza)
- One about 15-20km from Palamaner toward Chitoor
- Two at Kolar.
- And after Chitoor there is an at Sri Perumbudur too !

Last edited by ampere : 1st March 2013 at 23:09.
Old 2nd March 2013, 14:23   #1124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
There are many of them !

- At Chitoor Bypass.
- There is one more before the bypass (I think spotted it at Nandi Plaza)
- One about 15-20km from Palamaner toward Chitoor
- Two at Kolar.
- And after Chitoor there is an at Sri Perumbudur too !
Add one more in Kanchipuram as well now! Recently opened!
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2013, 14:25   #1125
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
Add one more in Kanchipuram as well now! Recently opened!
Oh yes... I forgot about that ! Thanks for adding. Initially I thought there are hardly any CCDs. Now there are ample!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks