Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2013, 18:54   #1126
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Anyways, you don't have to take that obscure route, stay on NH4 itself if it's your first time.
Thanks, though I am a veteran of Bangalore-Chennai drives (been averaging one a month till November 2012). Just that I hadn't driven for 3 months now and this Google Maps quirk sort of had me worried.

Anyway, took the route this morning - it was just fine. Quick trip update:

- Started from home (Marathahalli) at 4:30 AM. Was at Mulbagal by 5:45 AM.
- The arrival time at Mulbagal was earlier than I had planned - so had to negotiate a few kms after the dual carriageway ended in darkness. This was a bit tough on the nerves. :-) Dawn broke only by about 6:15 AM.
- The NH4 dual carriageway stretch has lane markings lined with reflectors, which is a feature I find quite useful. Pity it is not there in the NH7 route.
- Stopped for breakfast at the usual place, Nandi Plaza.
- Merged with the GQ route at Walajapet at 8:20 AM (10 minutes shy of 4 hours), with the trip meter showing 230-ish km - averaging 60 on that route is pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
Add one more in Kanchipuram as well now! Recently opened!
- Stopped here too, for a nature-call break. :-)
- Was at home in Chennai (ECR) by 10:30 AM - 6 hours for 335 km.
- The mess in Guindy is OK now, since the metro pillars are all up and the lanes underneath are opened up. Passing through Guidy was a breeze.
Old 14th April 2013, 12:45   #1127
BHPian

Information for regular travelers in this route - The Pallikonda Toll has been increased to 70 from 65 and also the L&T Toll near Kolar (which was not operational) seems to have started their activities. They might start collecting toll very soon.
Old 14th April 2013, 12:46   #1128
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
Information for regular travelers in this route - The Pallikonda Toll has been increased to 70 from 65 and also the L&T Toll near Kolar (which was not operational) seems to have started their activities. They might start collecting toll very soon.
Not just Pallikobda, even Vanyambadi toll as well. Apart from that the Krishnagori toll stands at 55/-
Old 17th April 2013, 15:07   #1129
BHPian

Did a quick trip to Hosur from Chennai. Left at 10.30 am and took GQ via Kathipara, Poonamalle, Sriperumpudur. The traffic was heavy and took alomot 90 min to S.Pudur. Road had lot patch work for around 30 km near Kanchipuram and it was a painn to drive. Beyond that the road was smooth. Quite a few diversions near Vellore and between K.Giri and Hosur but the diversions are well marked and well paved. Took 51/2 hours to reach Hosur.

On the return trip took Sri perumpudur - Oragadam - Tamabram route and took just less than an hour reach Nanganallur. Would have taken at least 2 hours by Poonamalle route at that time (5.30 pm)
Old 17th April 2013, 18:36   #1130
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raju2512 View Post
On the return trip took Sri perumpudur - Oragadam - Tamabram route and took just less than an hour reach Nanganallur. Would have taken at least 2 hours by Poonamalle route at that time (5.30 pm)

Did you take the Manimangalam route or Oragadam? I had read that the road via Manimangalam is bad. And hence is the routing through Oragadam?
Can you also plot it in Google?

PS : I also realized that thanks to MRTS most roads have become one way. So how do you enter Nanganallur? (I think even the underpass near St Thomas Mount is a one way)
Or use interior roads ?

Last edited by ampere : 17th April 2013 at 18:48.
Old 18th April 2013, 09:12   #1131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raju2512 View Post

Have you tried the Kundrathur - Pallavaram route ? Take a U-turn after the Rajiv Gandhi memorial, and get onto the service road to hit the Kundrathur road. Once you hit the Adayar river bridge from Kundrathur on the Kundrathur-pallavaram road, use the service road of the Chennai by-pass road to get to the Thiruneermalai road, which would take you to the GST road, near the new olympia construction. You could then go on the GST road till trident signal and then get onto Nanganallur.

I have used this route at almost all times of the day to get to Velachery, and find it way easier and faster than both Tambaram or Poonamalle route.

Shyam
shyamk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2013, 10:44   #1132
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamk View Post
I have used this route at almost all times of the day to get to Velachery, and find it way easier and faster than both Tambaram or Poonamalle route.
Can you please mark it on a google maps? And how does it compared with respect to Oragadam route? I would like to try one of these some time.
Going through Poonamallee and Porur road is a pain esp when coming towards Chennnai. While leaving its OK as I can time my drive.

Last edited by ampere : 18th April 2013 at 10:48.
Old 18th April 2013, 10:49   #1133
BHPian

Confession - I don't know to mark routes on google maps ! I will see if I can get some kind of a screenshot or something. This road along this route is alright. Not as wide as the oragadam route. There is hardly any traffic, till you reach pallavaram outskirts. Of course, once you hit pallavaram, one needs to cross the signals after the airport !

Shyam
Old 18th April 2013, 10:54   #1134
BHPian

So here is the maps link - http://goo.gl/maps/O42Kn Thanks to this forum, this dog has has managed to learn another trick !

Shyam
shyamk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2013, 10:54   #1135
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Confession - I don't know to mark routes on google maps ! I will see if I can get some kind of a screenshot or something. This road along this route is alright. Not as wide as the oragadam route. There is hardly any traffic, till you reach pallavaram outskirts. Of course, once you hit pallavaram, one needs to cross the signals after the airport !

Shyam
Is this what you are referring to ?

Route Link

Also how do you get to Nanganallur as I asked earlier to the other member too. Because I hear the main underpass on the ring road after the Trident signal I think has been made a one way? (Can confirm that too ? )

EDIT : Thanks. We posted at the same time ! Got your link ! But need answer on the Nangaballur/Velachery entry route options.

Quote:
Since I go to Velachery, I am not sure about the trident signal underpass being made one way. If so, then one could take the u-turn after OTA, and use the subway that leads to velachery. Once you climb up the subway, a u-turn once again would lead back to Nanganallur

Shyam

I should have clarified. The underpass I meant is the Inner ring road underpass. Are you referring to same?

Last edited by ampere : 18th April 2013 at 11:14.
Old 18th April 2013, 10:58   #1136
BHPian

Since I go to Velachery, I am not sure about the trident signal underpass being made one way. If so, then one could take the u-turn after OTA, and use the subway that leads to velachery. Once you climb up the subway, a u-turn once again would lead back to Nanganallur

Shyam
Old 18th April 2013, 13:50   #1137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Did you take the Manimangalam route or Oragadam? I had read that the road via Manimangalam is bad. And hence is the routing through Oragadam?
Can you also plot it in Google?

PS : I also realized that thanks to MRTS most roads have become one way. So how do you enter Nanganallur? (I think even the underpass near St Thomas Mount is a one way)
Or use interior roads ?
Sorry for the late reply. I took Oragadam road since I was not sure of the other routes (thro Kundrathur / thro Manimangalam). I will try next time

For entering Nanganallur take the turn at Trident signal on GST road. The road on the other end of the subway (on Nanganallur side) is one way . In fact the entire 4th main road is one way with entry from subway. To leave Nanganllur you have to take the parallel 5th main road and reach the subway. There are connecting road every 200 m between these roads. Google map clearly shows the one way.

You can also use the Thillaiganga nagar subway , which is a part of the GST road - Velacherry road and take the right after the subway. But this road is under relaying right now.

In fact after a long time almost all roads are well laid.
raju2512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2013, 19:09   #1138
BHPian

Quote:
So here is the maps link - http://goo.gl/maps/O42Kn Thanks to this forum, this dog has has managed to learn another trick !

Shyam
I think it will be the same distance as the Manimangalam route, but not having to go through Mudichur and join Tambaram would swing in its favor. Hence probably the shortest! Thanks for pointing out, I'll give it a shot! I hope the turn-offs are marked. And how do we get to cross the bye-pass?
Old 18th April 2013, 20:27   #1139
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
I think it will be the same distance as the Manimangalam route, but not having to go through Mudichur and join Tambaram would swing in its favor. Hence probably the shortest! Thanks for pointing out, I'll give it a shot! I hope the turn-offs are marked. And how do we get to cross the bye-pass?
I was looking at Google maps and also my Garmin. Points can be well marked:

- Look for Rajiv Gandhi memorial for the U
- Pallavaram road is not marked but the structure of the curve should be a giveaway
- Drive till Chennai bypass and then drive along the bypass till you hit Tiruneeramalai road.
- Again drive along the till GST.

Hopefully should be easy. I have marked it down on my GPS. Will try next time !
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2013, 12:17   #1140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
- Drive till Chennai bypass and then drive along the bypass till you hit Tiruneeramalai road.
- Again drive along the till GST.

Hopefully should be easy. I have marked it down on my GPS. Will try next time !
Instead you can also continue on the same road instead of turning right along the bye pass. The route is Anakaputhur., Pammal , Pallavaram. The road is good but heavy local traffic will be there during peak hours

Most Viewed