Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2013, 19:50   #1366
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Yes, there is a definite reduction in travel time. Came back from Chennai this morning. Started from home at 5AM on the dot, and reached home (Marathahalli) at 11AM on the dot - about 30-40 minutes total stoppage time (breakfast @Deepam, fuel @Vaniyambadi, tolls, couple of nature call breaks).

Had a tough time getting out of Chennai. Here's the story:
  • Came out of home (Kottivakkam) and reached the Thiruvanmiyur junction. There's a slight drizzle. The road to RG Salai blocked off by CCTP.
  • Went along LB Road to Adyar. The left turn to SP Road blocked off by CCTP. Asked the cop on duty there what's the matter - he would only say that the road is blocked, go somewhere else.
  • Crossed the Thi Vi Ka bridge and entered RA Puram. Thought of taking Nandanam-Saidapet-Guindy, but figured (a) it is too long, and (b) suspected it might be blocked off too - by then I was convinced the blockage is to facilitate metro work.
  • So went along TTK Road, RK Salai, crossed Gemini bridge into Nungambakkam to turn into Kodambakkam High Road. Blocked off.
  • Slightly worried - are they not allowing anyone to go out of Chennai? I have to be in Bangalore and at work tomorrow, no excuses. So checked with the cops on duty and entered Kodambakkam High Road anyway. Big mistake! By now the rain is torrential.
  • Bigger block at the junction with Usman Road - no way to go further ahead onto the railway bridge (near Kodambakkam station). Turned into Usman Road.
  • In somewhat unfamiliar territory. Turned on Google Maps - phew. It took me through Bazulla flyover and Brindavan Street Extn to Dr. Ambedkar Road - finally back on roads that I know.
  • Hit Jawaharlal Nehru Road. No more experiments - already an hour gone. Straight to Koyambedu interchange and Poonamallee High Road. Rain reduces by the time I'm at Maduravoyal. Reached Nazarethpet by 6:20AM.

Someone wanted to know the status of Krishnagiri-Hosur.

- At Krishnagiri, the junction of NH7/NH48 is a mess, more so if you are coming towards Bangalore (or coming from Salem and going towards Chennai).
- Once you clear the toll booth it is fantastic 6-lane all the way till outskirts of Hosur, except perhaps a couple of places where they are still blasting the rocks to widen the road.
- Hosur town - a distance of about 10 km - is BAD. Multiple flyovers under construction. At off-peak hours, budget upto 30 minutes. At peak hours - an hour or more.
- No further problems once you cross into KA.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 21:47   #1367
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Came out of home (Kottivakkam) and reached the Thiruvanmiyur junction.
Question: Have you looked at Mudichur/Manimangalam/Sriperumbudur option? The access looks like to close to your place. Hence thought of asking.

Route Link
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 23:19   #1368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Question: Have you looked at Mudichur/Manimangalam/Sriperumbudur option? The access looks like to close to your place. Hence thought of asking.
The route it is showing across the canal (from Kottivakkam to Perungudi) is not motorable with my car at least. I don't think it should even figure in Google's routing.

On the other hand, I could have taken LB Road and hit RG Salai at Tharamani. But I didn't think at that time I'd have to go through this whole Chennai-darshan. :-)
Old 1st December 2013, 23:27   #1369
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The route it is showing across the canal (from Kottivakkam to Perungudi) is not motorable with my car at least. I don't think it should even figure in Google's routing.
I dont know much about that location. Basically I wanted to suggest if instead of going via Poonamallee, would Tambaram-Manimangalam help you in any way.
Old 1st December 2013, 23:31   #1370
BHPian

Quote:
I dont know much about that location. Basically I wanted to suggest if instead of going via Poonamallee, would Tambaram-Manimangalam help you in any way.
I hear mixed opinions about this route since the Tambaram to Guindy stretch is also quite chock-a-block. I might try it when I head to Chennai mid this week and will keep you posted.
Old 1st December 2013, 23:53   #1371
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
I hear mixed opinions about this route since the Tambaram to Guindy stretch is also quite chock-a-block. I might try it when I head to Chennai mid this week and will keep you posted.
Basically what I have been hearing is that beyond Airport, there is no U-turn allowed on GST for quite a long distance. So in that case (as @Prabhu had suggested), use the Pallavaram main road (or the Tambaram/Medavakkam road) to hit Velacherry main road or OMR. Of course they also have heavy traffic but at early hours it may not be that high. Again just a thought. Since I am not a regular on these roads, I cannot comment with details. Will leave that to fellow members residing in there.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 10:20   #1372
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, there is a definite reduction in travel time. Came back from Chennai this morning. Started from home at 5AM on the dot, and reached home (Marathahalli) at 11AM on the dot - about 30-40 minutes total stoppage time (breakfast @Deepam, fuel @Vaniyambadi, tolls, couple of nature call breaks).

Had a tough time getting out of Chennai. Here's the story:
  • Came out of home (Kottivakkam) and reached the Thiruvanmiyur junction. There's a slight drizzle. The road to RG Salai blocked off by CCTP.
  • Went along LB Road to Adyar. The left turn to SP Road blocked off by CCTP. Asked the cop on duty there what's the matter - he would only say that the road is blocked, go somewhere else.
  • Crossed the Thi Vi Ka bridge and entered RA Puram. Thought of taking Nandanam-Saidapet-Guindy, but figured (a) it is too long, and (b) suspected it might be blocked off too - by then I was convinced the blockage is to facilitate metro work.
  • So went along TTK Road, RK Salai, crossed Gemini bridge into Nungambakkam to turn into Kodambakkam High Road. Blocked off.
  • Slightly worried - are they not allowing anyone to go out of Chennai? I have to be in Bangalore and at work tomorrow, no excuses. So checked with the cops on duty and entered Kodambakkam High Road anyway. Big mistake! By now the rain is torrential.
  • Bigger block at the junction with Usman Road - no way to go further ahead onto the railway bridge (near Kodambakkam station). Turned into Usman Road.
  • In somewhat unfamiliar territory. Turned on Google Maps - phew. It took me through Bazulla flyover and Brindavan Street Extn to Dr. Ambedkar Road - finally back on roads that I know.
  • Hit Jawaharlal Nehru Road. No more experiments - already an hour gone. Straight to Koyambedu interchange and Poonamallee High Road. Rain reduces by the time I'm at Maduravoyal. Reached Nazarethpet by 6:20AM.
Someone wanted to know the status of Krishnagiri-Hosur.

- At Krishnagiri, the junction of NH7/NH48 is a mess, more so if you are coming towards Bangalore (or coming from Salem and going towards Chennai).
- Once you clear the toll booth it is fantastic 6-lane all the way till outskirts of Hosur, except perhaps a couple of places where they are still blasting the rocks to widen the road.
- Hosur town - a distance of about 10 km - is BAD. Multiple flyovers under construction. At off-peak hours, budget upto 30 minutes. At peak hours - an hour or more.
- No further problems once you cross into KA.
The road blockage was for the Chennai Marathon. You were better off in taking the route through Shollinganallur junction, tambaram, vandalur, oragadam, sriperumbudur. Since you are coming in from Kottivakkam, this route would bypass the city and even if the route is a few km extra, you need not fight with the hyundai, nokia and other company buses at that time.

Shyam
Old 2nd December 2013, 12:51   #1373
BHPian

Quote:

Route Link
@Ampere.. The segment D - E in this route map given will easily win the best of All damaged roads easily. Even tipper lorries taken evasive action to cross over few pothole (easily 2 feet deep). Its gone bad to worse and add to it the current frequent rains will make us to guestimate which one to get the wheels down or skip drive around it.

Rather you can connect C - E through GST and ride safer.

Roads after E is really good all the way till the point you join NH4 in sriperumdur.

Thanks,
Reisender is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 13:07   #1374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Route Link
I did this route in September in my i20 and it was really good to do this stretch without any problems.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 15:32   #1375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamk View Post
The road blockage was for the Chennai Marathon. You were better off in taking the route through Shollinganallur junction, tambaram, vandalur, oragadam, sriperumbudur. Since you are coming in from Kottivakkam, this route would bypass the city and even if the route is a few km extra, you need not fight with the hyundai, nokia and other company buses at that time.
My mistake, not buying a newspaper on Saturday and checking for such events on Sunday. Lesson learnt!

As far as your route suggestion goes, it used to be my preferred inward route till about a year back. But the utterly disgusting Medavakkam-Sholinganallur section eventually turned me off it. Even now, if I am travelling into Chennai and my destination is Kelambakkam (where too I have a base), I come via Oragadam-Vandalur.

But at 5AM, I am looking for the shortest route out of the city. At that time, traffic is not a consideration. :-)
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2013, 09:41   #1376
BHPian

Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore

BHPians,

Drove to chennai on Wednesday afternoon and returned on Saturday.

Departed at around 2:40pm or so from my home in Malleshwaram and given the time of Departure decided to try the NICE road (Tumkur Rd -> Hosur Road) to ensure we don't loose time

NICE road was very expensive (INR 155 for Tumkur Rd -> Hosur Rd) but it served the purpose of avoiding city especially during school timings.

http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/274512268/1577321

As you see from the details above I was able to reach Vellore in 3:30hrs which was a personal record for me. There were stretches where I maintained 110 ~ 115 consistently after Krishnagiri. The 6 lane roads helped a lot to accomplish this.

Was able to reach Chennai by 8:30pm which was a personal best for me.

The tolls haven't changed but the road quality after Sriperambadur has become worse

Interesting observation by my better half

From Chennai to Vellore the tolls are spaced with the following details

Annanagar - Nemili - 32kms
Nemili - Poonamalee - 64 kms
Sriperambadur - Pallikonda - 90 kms
Pallikonda - Vaniyambadi - 60 kms
Vaniyambadi - Krishnagiri - 65km

Hope other BHPians could use the info.

Cheers

Last edited by csateesh : 9th December 2013 at 09:49.
csateesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2013, 11:56   #1377
Senior - BHPian

I'll be driving to Chennai on 15th Dec (Sunday) and returning to Blore on 21st Dec (Saturday).

If anyone wants to join in, please send me a PM or reply to this post.

I mostly take the Krishagiri route and might do the same this time around too.
Old 9th December 2013, 12:03   #1378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
From Chennai to Vellore the tolls are spaced with the following details

Annanagar - Nemili - 32kms
Nemili - Poonamalee - 64 kms
Sriperambadur - Pallikonda - 90 kms
Pallikonda - Vaniyambadi - 60 kms
Vaniyambadi - Krishnagiri - 65km
There is one toll booth between Sreeperumbudur and Pallikonda, at Walaja just before the starting point of NH 48 (the toll receipt says Chennasamudram). I think it is about 45-50 km from there to Pallikonda.

And between Krishnagiri and Bangalore, there is the infamous Attibele toll booth as well.

But I didn't understand which toll booth you are counting at Poonamalle. If it is the Chennai bypass's then it is at Maduravoyal.
Old 9th December 2013, 13:41   #1379
BHPian

Quote:
And between Krishnagiri and Bangalore, there is the infamous Attibele toll booth as well.
But I didn't understand which toll booth you are counting at Poonamalle. If it is the Chennai bypass's then it is at Maduravoyal.
@binand - The distance info for Attibelle toll wasn't captured and hence couldn't share it

I just use the name defined in the toll receipts - If it says Poonamalee I say the same

Cheers
Old 10th December 2013, 10:55   #1380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post

@binand - The distance info for Attibelle toll wasn't captured and hence couldn't share it

I just use the name defined in the toll receipts - If it says Poonamalee I say the same

Cheers
Between anna nagar arch and pallikonda (approximately 148 km), there are two tolls - Nemili (just before hyundai, from chennai side) and walajah. Arch to wallajah is around 98 km and walajah to pallikonda is around 50km. I think he must have mistaken wallajah for poonamallee. And pallikonda to krishnagiri junction is around 105 km. (Where road forks out to salem and bangalore.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks